Nostromo Here again TP52 (2019) Wk: 43/44 Spooky

Dominic, the FREE week shot and the lighting are just great. Just a thought a different angle perhaps with the largest at the front and smallest at the back ?

I like both of gthese images. Decaying has really nice muted tones and you've handled the PP really nicely.

Nicely decaying leaves there Dom. Looks really good for them and loads of details.

The free week is a great image to me. Nice (green) colour to it, lovely detail to the artichokes and the background is perfect to put all the emphasis on the foreground subject. Nice

Wk: 21/22 Whole/Fragile
Whole
Big old shoehorn coming up here.
After my failed attempts for Whole, i'm going to shoehorn this one in.
It's the wifey completing her dressage test, so in theory she did the
whole test, also this pony of her's, is her Whole life (i'm sure it's above me in the pecking order ;)).

untitled-77 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Fragile
Now this shot of a Common Blue butterfly, i'm really quite happy with. It was blowing like a hurricane (well that's what it looked like through the view finder) so was really happy to get a pretty sharp shot.

untitled-408.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Nice dressage picture, and excellent butterfly picture, great colours

Two good shots as others have said the butterfly is really good

Love the butterfly shot, so much great detail in this one!

I love the 'whole' image Dominic!
Shoehorn or not, it's first class - sharp in all the right places, and her expression is fantastically infectious....it really makes one smile to look at this image!:)
Your 'fragile' image is truly amazing!:clap:
Fantastic detail and the tiny hairs are so sharp that counting them wouldn't be too taxing, though I did promise myself that I wouldn't do that anymore!:giggle:
Excellent colours and a perfect composition rounds off a magnificent image!
Great work indeed Dominic!(y)

Lovely fragile flutterbye! Not done these yet this year and I usually do!

I love the 'whole' image Dominic!
Shoehorn or not, it's first class - sharp in all the right places, and her expression is fantastically infectious....it really makes one smile to look at this image!:)
Thank you. Funnily enough, this is one of my favourite photos, for the reasons you point out. I'm really happy with it, it's no award winner, but it's one of those photos that mean something to us (me and her indoors).

Hi Dominic

Nice use of colour in your Sqashed Tomatoes, looks much better on Flickr, echo previous comments.

Pete

Lovely tomatoes and nicely balanced on the left hand side of the frame.

Oh aye that's good that is :D

That is very, very clever. I love everything about it - great concept, great colours, great composition - what's not to like

Yet more first class images Dominic!:clap:
Squashed: Clever and inventive! Perfect colours and great shadow control - what an image! It oozes class!
Time: Both outstanding! I think I prefer the second, although I like the splash of red from the handles of the secateurs in the first....honestly there's not much to choose, they're both great!

Two nice shots there Dominic. Squashed composition works really well. I was tempted with squashing a few tomatoes but ran out of time in the end !

Heya Dominic,

Bit of a catch up here, I've neglected comments for too long!

Time - I prefer the wider shot (as I believe you do), it gives the image more room to come to life. Tight crops can often work really well, but in this case, the wider seems better to me.

Squash(ed) - What a fantastic image, can't fault it at all. That needs to be on canvas on a wall somewhere.

Fragile - Hrm, bug shot !!!! Pretty though, so I'll let you off ;)

Whole - Not sure about SHOEhorn, more HorseSHOEs ;) Works for the theme, you have the whole of the subject in the shot.

Free Week - Playing with lighting can be fun can't it. Works well and good to see just enough under the "things" to ground them rather than have them floating.

Decay - Works nicely for the theme. Doesn't have the impact of your Free Week shout though.

Crowd - Only needs 3 to be a crowd :) Bit of a snap though, rather than your usual considered images. Not sure the dead space at the top of the image. Understand why though, getting the crowd and the bird in on a normal aspect ratio, but it does give the image a lot of room which detracts from the crowd theme.

Light - Lovely shot, great bit of close-up.

Hot - A different take on the theme to mine ;) As others have said, that really is fantastic. I think what makes it stand out over 'light' is the colours. Whereas light is all similar colours, the complementary Green and Orange colours in Hot give it a boost that elevates it.

Above - Loving the threatening skies. Two 'aboves' in one there.

Smooth - Dark and moody, nice tones, especially the red onion.

Really like the first time image. Nicely staged, just enough bokeh to blur out the background, and all the elements in the basket are nice and sharp and colourful

I agree the first one for me though there is some good detail on the clematis in the second one but overall I like the composition of the first with the one flower in focus

I actually prefer the second - I love the beautiful colours and vibrancy throughout the image

I much prefer the first photo with the one flower in sharp focus. I know how hard it is to get pleasing photos in the garden. It is a really nice shot. And much more interesting than the face on one.. I think!

Wk:26 Drink

There's not much to say really, it's a drink, Lavender Tea, it's not something i would drink (i'm more of a builders tea man myself), but i wanted to do something a little different.

untitled-203.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Just as a matter of interest and i don't normally do this, i thought i'd show the sooc shot.

Last edited:
Wk:26 Drink

There's not much to say really, it's a drink, Lavender Tea, it's not something i would drink (i'm more of a builders tea man myself), but i wanted to do something a little different.

Just as a matter of interest and i don't normally do this, i thought i'd show the sooc shot.

That's a proper picture, looks good enough to drink! Good to see the sooc shot, I was wondering if the subdued lighting at the back was added in post, but it wasn't it was natural

Great shot, love the colours, really well thought out.

Lovely image Dominic.(y)
Expertly laid out and composed still life, with everything coming together to form a very classy image indeed!
I like the split toning effect with the purple/magenta cast boosting the lavender and the tea colour and leaving the green stems true. (is it split toning? forgive me if it isn't)
I think the SOOC image works well too, though your decision to boost the tones through the glass was a wise move....although I do like the natural colours.
Exceptional!:clap:

Fab shot - not summat I'd be supping though. :)

Back