weekly pjm1's TP52 in 2016 - week 31 Fauna

Not sure what I'm looking at Paul - a barrier of some sort? Whatever, it is well and truly camouflaged by the snow - hardly visible. I like the watery sky and the gradual blending of the snow into it. Lovely

Thanks Carl, it is indeed a barrier at the edge of the ski area. The pole is just the marker for the grade of run (green). Thanks for the comments and glad you liked!

Yup - it's got me foxed, too! I think I'd really like this without the whatever-it-is - I find the pole so close to the sun distracting, but without it the textures of the snow, misty graduation and colours are really soothing in a very minimalist way. You could pretend there's something buried under the snow ;)

Hi Emma, I agree with you about the placement as it's the one thing I'll try to get better next time - it is too close to the sun. I might try a bit of Photoshop trickery to remove it when I get back to civilisation! Thanks for commenting :)

Camouflage - absolutely beautiful pic, nicely done!

Thanks Sam - glad you like it and I was pleased to manage to grab something for the theme at least!

Like your camouflage, really nice sun, we dont get that white stuff down here!

Thanks Clive - pleased you like it... Funnily enough, we don't get much sun! This was one of those rare moments you could see it ;)

Last edited:
Ok, here's my early (for a change!) submission for Week 7, Danger(ous).

I'll confess it's has a modicum of shoehorn about it, but to be fair, it's actually about a pretty poignant and close-to-my-heart story, so hopefully I'm excused it. A month ago next week a couple of very experienced climbers were found dead in Glencoe. Investigations are still ongoing as to how/why they fell but they were well equipped, knowledgeable and highly experienced climbers. So if that's not a lesson to all of us who venture out that the mountains are a bloody dangerous place, I don't know what is!

I took a fairly long detour on my trip back from Aviemore to drive through Glencoe as I knew we'd be hitting the "important bits" at around sunset :) Of course, Mrs Pjm1 only became aware of this remarkable coincidence when I suggested I stop repeatedly to take photos...

So here is an innocuous-looking "dangerous" but up above the glen, those mountains really can be:

Week 7: Dangerous
by Paul M, on Flickr

Edited to add... now that I'm back home I will finally get around to commenting on all of your photos as well!

Last edited:
hi Paul, a very nice pic I am looking at it two ways, its a great scene on its own great sky, snow covered mountains and the building gives it a great sense of isolation
also I agree with what you imply about the mountains and the danger, perfect for the theme :clap:

Can't help thinking black and white maybe, but thats just a personal thing :thinking:

Love this, but then I love that particular area and was passing through the glen the same day those events unfolded.

A sobering thought indeed for anyone who considers going out onto those mountains, snow covered or otherwise.

I particularly like the colours, snow caps and dramatic sky. My only bug bear is the river and whether it adds or detracts from the overall image as my eye is drawn to it.

Good effort none the less.

Ps I love the camouflaged shot too.

Hi Paul. Only been once; what a stunning place it is. Wifey & I did the Lost Valley walk and even though its a visitors trail, we were quite taken aback by some of the perils along the way - goodness knows what's it like "off piste" as it were. Beautiful landscape, great sky and nicely composed.

Nature can be very dangerous - stunning photo with lovely tones.
Thanks Ruth - glad you liked it and I was lucky to be driving through at just the right time in terms of the light.

hi Paul, a very nice pic I am looking at it two ways, its a great scene on its own great sky, snow covered mountains and the building gives it a great sense of isolation
also I agree with what you imply about the mountains and the danger, perfect for the theme :clap:

Can't help thinking black and white maybe, but thats just a personal thing :thinking:
Good point Allan about a B&W conversion. I usually think golden hour shots lose a lot by conversion, but because of the contrast in the sky, I reckon you're right about this one, so I'll have a look. Thanks for commenting as always.

Love this, but then I love that particular area and was passing through the glen the same day those events unfolded.

A sobering thought indeed for anyone who considers going out onto those mountains, snow covered or otherwise.

I particularly like the colours, snow caps and dramatic sky. My only bug bear is the river and whether it adds or detracts from the overall image as my eye is drawn to it.

Good effort none the less.

Ps I love the camouflaged shot too.
Hi Ian - terrible when people lose their lives and goes to remind us all that we're very mortal and an easy match for mother nature if she has a hissy (or we're just unlucky).

Good point about the river - obviously I used it as a leading line but in the context of the theme I think you're spot on as it's supposed to be dangerous and a little babbling brook is hardly reflective of that! Perhaps an example where thinking more about the theme and less about "classic" composition would have improved it? Cheers as always and hope you're enjoying the good weather down our way today!

Hi Paul. Only been once; what a stunning place it is. Wifey & I did the Lost Valley walk and even though its a visitors trail, we were quite taken aback by some of the perils along the way - goodness knows what's it like "off piste" as it were. Beautiful landscape, great sky and nicely composed.
Hi Carl, thanks for the comments and glad you liked it. It is a stunning place in pretty much every type of weather from summer blue skies through to clag and cloud in the depths winter. There's a reason it's so photographed, so hopefully nobody minds me snapping a bit of a cliche :)

Dangerous, lovely shot Paul I agree that those mountains are indeed a dangerous place to be, and as per your narrative,
no one is completely safe, whether experienced or not!

I fully understand the danger of climbers/walkers/munro baggers facing in the winter or even summer months being living right next door to the Scottish Highlands.

Lovely landscape image with beautiful tone. I don't mind the river at all in fact I actually quite like it add a third nature element to the image of sky/air, mountain/earth and river/water. That's not the Black Rock cottage is it? I was there in the summer for some photos too.

Dangerous - great shot, really like it :)
Thanks Sam - I wasn't sure if I'd pushed the processing a bit too far, but I think I can get away with it in the context of the theme...

Dangerous, lovely shot Paul I agree that those mountains are indeed a dangerous place to be, and as per your narrative,
no one is completely safe, whether experienced or not!
Cheers Cobra - I'll do my best to keep safe!

Couple of beauts there Paul. (y)
Thanks David, glad you liked them.

I fully understand the danger of climbers/walkers/munro baggers facing in the winter or even summer months being living right next door to the Scottish Highlands.

Lovely landscape image with beautiful tone. I don't mind the river at all in fact I actually quite like it add a third nature element to the image of sky/air, mountain/earth and river/water. That's not the Black Rock cottage is it? I was there in the summer for some photos too.
I don't think it's Black Rock - that's a bit bigger and further along the glen? I thought the river worked for the image, but I can see how it detracts from the danger aspect. Thanks for looking & commenting.

Hi Paul ....they both perhaps need the explanations to make the themes obvious, but they are both super shots, that's a beautiful light on your Dangerous it looks fabulous on Flickr.
Thanks Susie! It required a half hour (or so) detour but I think it was well worth doing... when I was driving along and realised we'd get a semi-decent sunset at around the time I'd be passing through the glen it seemed a crime not to go there...

Hello Paul, catching up on comments!! :)

Metal - Really lovely colours against black, and nice dof! Good idea adding the ropes to enhance the metal. :)

Happy - Your daughter is gorgeous! What an angel with a cute smile. It's a reallly nice picture; I like the way she's standing, her slightly oversized clothes, the way she's holding her favourite things, and the highlights in her hair.

Captive - Nice one! I love lego shots in general and yours is really creative, technically proficient and bang on the theme. :) (Although the little guy has a bit of an evil smile so it looks like he purposely went in there instead of being a captive. :p)

Miniature - A very appealing picture, looks like it could belong to a well-executed, creative advertising poster. I love simple, minimalist but high-impact shots like that. :)

Abandoned - Lovely landscape and sun rays. And a beautiful title. As a standalone photo, I would have liked a tiny bit more contrast and saturation to bring out the greenery because it's a really gorgeous scene (and it's just my personal preference). But I think you've done it your way to fit the theme, give it a more abandoned, wistful look, and I do like that. :)

I like your other Abandoned, shot, too. I would have found it hard to choose one or the other to post up!

Camouflage - I really like the tone, that pale yellow of the sky melting into the creamy white of the snow. Makes me want to step into your picture to make snow angels! :p

Dangerous - Another stunning scene from you. :) I couldn't see what's dangerous about it until I read your description. The dark clouds on the left do help with your theme a bit, but otherwise, it looks very idyllic to me, especially with the nice little house. :p

Loving your photos overall and enjoy reading your descriptions. Looking foward to more!

Hello Paul, catching up on comments!! :)

Metal - Really lovely colours against black, and nice dof! Good idea adding the ropes to enhance the metal. :)

Happy - Your daughter is gorgeous! What an angel with a cute smile. It's a reallly nice picture; I like the way she's standing, her slightly oversized clothes, the way she's holding her favourite things, and the highlights in her hair.

Captive - Nice one! I love lego shots in general and yours is really creative, technically proficient and bang on the theme. :) (Although the little guy has a bit of an evil smile so it looks like he purposely went in there instead of being a captive. :p)

Miniature - A very appealing picture, looks like it could belong to a well-executed, creative advertising poster. I love simple, minimalist but high-impact shots like that. :)

Abandoned - Lovely landscape and sun rays. And a beautiful title. As a standalone photo, I would have liked a tiny bit more contrast and saturation to bring out the greenery because it's a really gorgeous scene (and it's just my personal preference). But I think you've done it your way to fit the theme, give it a more abandoned, wistful look, and I do like that. :)

I like your other Abandoned, shot, too. I would have found it hard to choose one or the other to post up!

Camouflage - I really like the tone, that pale yellow of the sky melting into the creamy white of the snow. Makes me want to step into your picture to make snow angels! :p

Dangerous - Another stunning scene from you. :) I couldn't see what's dangerous about it until I read your description. The dark clouds on the left do help with your theme a bit, but otherwise, it looks very idyllic to me, especially with the nice little house. :p

Loving your photos overall and enjoy reading your descriptions. Looking foward to more!

Thanks Sheylara and I really appreciate your comprehensive walkthrough of all my images. I was playing catchup when posting them, so it's definitely not expected for people to trawl their way back!

Funnily enough, I was looking for a sad-faced lego man in captive, but couldn't find one in my son's lego container... :(

Thanks for the comments on Abandoned... I'll be honest and say I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to this newfangled fad called HDR - I shy away from it. That means sometimes my images might lack a bit of saturation or clarity, because I prefer to err on the side of "delicate". I was actually worried my Dangerous was too HDR-like. Shooting into the sun tends to reduce the contrast quite a bit as well, so in a way it's a bit more "natural" to leave it. Horses for courses though (as I ramped the contrast back up again for Dangerous!)

Thanks all round for those comments - glad you enjoyed looking at them. (y)

Thanks Sheylara and I really appreciate your comprehensive walkthrough of all my images. I was playing catchup when posting them, so it's definitely not expected for people to trawl their way back!

Funnily enough, I was looking for a sad-faced lego man in captive, but couldn't find one in my son's lego container... :(

Thanks for the comments on Abandoned... I'll be honest and say I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to this newfangled fad called HDR - I shy away from it. That means sometimes my images might lack a bit of saturation or clarity, because I prefer to err on the side of "delicate". I was actually worried my Dangerous was too HDR-like. Shooting into the sun tends to reduce the contrast quite a bit as well, so in a way it's a bit more "natural" to leave it. Horses for courses though (as I ramped the contrast back up again for Dangerous!)

Thanks all round for those comments - glad you enjoyed looking at them. (y)
Pity about the Lego man, but we use what we have given the time constraints, so not really a fault there!

Regarding HDR, I have a feeling that many people don't like it because it's overused and perhaps because there are people who overdo it, or do it on the wrong pictures. Personally, I think some photos do benefit from it. But I probably don't know enough about photography to give a sound opinion. I didn't even know HDR was a thing until I started reading stuff on this forum, shortly before I bought my DSLR, which was not very long ago. :p

I didn't think your Dangerous photo is HDR at all. Looks very natural and real to me. I can just imagine how some HDR enthusiasts would HDR the hell out of it!

Hi Paul

Somehow I haven't managed to post on your thread yet, despite all the great photos. I'm familiar with the difficulties of getting small children to stand where you want them, but you've obviously managed it and the resulting Happy shot is lovely. Abandoned's beautiful - the light's fantastic and the whole scene has a sense of peace about it. Dangerous is the opposite, the combination of the dramatic sky and looming mountains looks very threatening. I wish I had that sort of eye for landscapes. It's been said before but for Camouflaged, that pole just gets in the way of a scene that looks almost dreamlike.

Already looking forward to your next posting.

Paul, what a nice image for 'Dangerous', but it looks so peaceful :)

I suppose we all think we are invincible, but its stories like you mentioned that make us all stop and think!

Fabulous scene. I couldnt take a nice landscape to save my life ! I too needed and enjoyed your decription as it really did drive home the danger out there.

Gaz

(y)Nice take on the theme Camouflage I do like how the ground mergers with the sky super shot.
Dangerous what a cracking shot and I’m in no doubt that’s its dangerous up there, the whole picture is spot on.

Love the camouflage shot......I wouldn't have even thought it was in the UK!

Dangerous. Yes I can imagine those mountain can be lethal if not respected. Shoehorn? Possibly a smidge.
Beautiful? Absolutely!

Great tones captured there in the golden hour. It's a lovely composition but, without the explanation, doesn't say Dangerous to me. I think it is the stream that is making it a little too picturesque for the theme. It makes the mountains look a little twee I think. Would it have been possible to get a more panoramic crop showing the mountains with the lowering sky?

nice gritty image, love the Glencoe area,
walking up Ben Nevis a couple of years ago in crap weather, the wife slipped on a stone and got wedged in two stones, bringing it home never underestimate these places treat with respect,

Who cares if it doesn't scream the theme, the warm light works really well as does the composition and you've managed the highlights well.

Cheers.

Dangerous - a perfect image, good colours, I also like your story behind the image, despite it being tinged with sadness. Your not wrong even with all the correct gear the mountains can be a very dangerous place.

Camouflaged is a stunning image. Cold and bleak but a glimpse of sun light.

Danger is a stunning image of a beautiful part of the world. Just shows reading your post how fragile we are as human beings.

Last edited:
Just catching up with commenting and love the landscapes you have been taking.

Abandoned - love the first one, such great light and the sun rays are amazing.
Camouflage - That's a lot of snow! I like that it has a dream like quality to it with the hazy sun/misty sky.
Danger - So sad about the climbers. I'm in the group that would prefer a little less of the stream in the foreground for the theme but it's still a stunning image. The cottage really gives context to how big the mountains are.

Wow... I go away for a long weekend and everybody's been busy commenting! I will have some catching up do on everyone else's threads...

Pity about the Lego man, but we use what we have given the time constraints, so not really a fault there!

Regarding HDR, I have a feeling that many people don't like it because it's overused and perhaps because there are people who overdo it, or do it on the wrong pictures. Personally, I think some photos do benefit from it. But I probably don't know enough about photography to give a sound opinion. I didn't even know HDR was a thing until I started reading stuff on this forum, shortly before I bought my DSLR, which was not very long ago. :p

I didn't think your Dangerous photo is HDR at all. Looks very natural and real to me. I can just imagine how some HDR enthusiasts would HDR the hell out of it!

Thanks Sheylara - I wanted to make the most of the colours which were there and always fear that I push things a bit too far. I've gone heavy on the processing on my latest image which I'll be posting shortly - although it's about as far removed from HDR as you can get!

Hi Paul

Somehow I haven't managed to post on your thread yet, despite all the great photos. I'm familiar with the difficulties of getting small children to stand where you want them, but you've obviously managed it and the resulting Happy shot is lovely. Abandoned's beautiful - the light's fantastic and the whole scene has a sense of peace about it. Dangerous is the opposite, the combination of the dramatic sky and looming mountains looks very threatening. I wish I had that sort of eye for landscapes. It's been said before but for Camouflaged, that pole just gets in the way of a scene that looks almost dreamlike.

Already looking forward to your next posting.

Thanks Nick, glad you've been enjoying the shots. I really wouldn't say I have an eye for landscapes yet - I've been taking them for a couple of years now since I've had my camera but only just starting to get some which make me remotely happy. And I can still see where I'd like to improve them! All I can say is just get out there as much as possible and take as many shots as you can of different images from different positions. Sometimes just a tiny move to the left/right/up/down can make all the difference. Also look at landscape shots you like and note down what it is about the composition and structure of the image you like - if it has water, where is the water and does it show shoreline... that sort of thing. Thanks for looking and pleased they work for you (and I agree with you on the pole now :) )

Paul, what a nice image for 'Dangerous', but it looks so peaceful :)

I suppose we all think we are invincible, but its stories like you mentioned that make us all stop and think!

More on that whole invincibility thing for my next shot :eek: but let's just say you're spot on! Glad you liked Dangerous and thanks for commenting :)

Fabulous scene. I couldnt take a nice landscape to save my life ! I too needed and enjoyed your decription as it really did drive home the danger out there.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz and glad you liked it. My comment to Nick above probably applies as well to you then - you can take good shots, but it's about converting the image you have in your mind to the scene you're composing in the viewfinder. Nail that and you've got yourself a cracking landscape! Thanks for looking and commenting :)

Beautiful image Paul, and can be very dangerous.

Phil

Thanks Phil and I seem to be attracting danger of late... thinking about week 8!

Hi Paul. Implied danger, so on theme and a great looking shot to boot. (y)

Cheers Tim!

Danger: Holy smoke Paul. That is stunning and for me, perfect in every way. Love the warm golden hues, patterns in the clouds and lead in lines created by the river. Really is a scene to behold

Thanks Jason and I really appreciate your kind words. You have some exceptional shots on your thread so it means a lot to get such a big compliment!!

(y)Nice take on the theme Camouflage I do like how the ground mergers with the sky super shot.
Dangerous what a cracking shot and I’m in no doubt that’s its dangerous up there, the whole picture is spot on.

Thanks as well, Michael - sometimes these oft-photographed spots are just that for a reason... it seems Glencoe is a landscape which works for a lot of you! :) Thanks for looking and commenting.

Love the camouflage shot......I wouldn't have even thought it was in the UK!

Dangerous. Yes I can imagine those mountain can be lethal if not respected. Shoehorn? Possibly a smidge.
Beautiful? Absolutely!

Thanks Ruth (keep wanting to call you Viv!) - Camouflage doesn't look very local does it?! I agree about the shoehorn as well for Danger but it seemed a shame not to wangle that photo in given the light conditions etc. :)

I love the tones in your dangerous shot and the tension between the beauty of the cottage and the threatening clouds above the summit of the mountains.

Thanks Emma - it was fun to take (including offroading my wife's car to get there!) and glad it's worked - appreciate the comments :)

Great tones captured there in the golden hour. It's a lovely composition but, without the explanation, doesn't say Dangerous to me. I think it is the stream that is making it a little too picturesque for the theme. It makes the mountains look a little twee I think. Would it have been possible to get a more panoramic crop showing the mountains with the lowering sky?

Absolutely agree with your comments about it fitting the theme (ish)... I could have made a stronger connection but for me, I wouldn't have liked the image as much. It was a bit of a compromise, I'm afraid! Thanks for commenting as it's always helpful to get everyone's take on it :)

nice gritty image, love the Glencoe area,
walking up Ben Nevis a couple of years ago in crap weather, the wife slipped on a stone and got wedged in two stones, bringing it home never underestimate these places treat with respect,

Ouch, Walter! I was up in Nevis on Friday (north face) and we had one accident in our group - just an MCL tear - but a bloke in the gully next to us was avalanched down about 100m. So yes, that is an even more dangerous mountain! Thanks for the comments.

Brilliant 'dangerous' shot the sky is stunning.

Thanks Liz!

Who cares if it doesn't scream the theme, the warm light works really well as does the composition and you've managed the highlights well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy as always. Glad you enjoyed the image despite the hint of shoehorn :) Had to underexpose a fair bit but what else is Lightroom for, if not bringing it back again afterwards, eh?

Dangerous - a perfect image, good colours, I also like your story behind the image, despite it being tinged with sadness. Your not wrong even with all the correct gear the mountains can be a very dangerous place.

Thanks Mandy, glad you liked it :)

An excellent thread, all the images are of the highest quality. For me it's the colours that really win me over (y)

Wow, you're very kind Chris. I'm just lucky that we're only 7 weeks in, so it seems my better images are coming out first. I'll be back with some stinkers before too long, I promise :)

Camouflaged is a stunning image. Cold and bleak but a glimpse of sun light.

Danger is a stunning image of a beautiful part of the world. Just shows reading your post how fragile we are as human beings.

Thanks Lee - glad you enjoyed them and yes, we're very fragile!

Just catching up with commenting and love the landscapes you have been taking.

Abandoned - love the first one, such great light and the sun rays are amazing.
Camouflage - That's a lot of snow! I like that it has a dream like quality to it with the hazy sun/misty sky.
Danger - So sad about the climbers. I'm in the group that would prefer a little less of the stream in the foreground for the theme but it's still a stunning image. The cottage really gives context to how big the mountains are.

Thanks Steve. Really appreciate your kind comments and glad you liked those shots. Looking forward to catching up with commenting on everyone else's now that I'm back from my long weekend away...

Back