weekly Quicksnapper's 52 week challenge ... Week 19 - "Household" added

Hi Sara

was popping in to comment on Close up when I saw your reshoot- way better , much sharper & better lit , great re-shoot :clap:

Machine...really well lit with super detail , like the angle , the crop & inclusion of some of the strap (y) Minor niggle.....I might have cropped a smidge more off the bottom just to lose the top of writing that is creeping in

Your Close Up re shoot is tons better as you've lost the dark area completely (y)

Machine is great too and I was thinking about a similar interpretation but MrB would have done me serious harm if I'd prised the back off one of his watches :eek:

Excellent re-shoot Sara. You can really see the texture on that shell.
Nice work on the watch for "Machine" too. I like your composition, not including the entire face....works for me. :)

Hi Sara, love the reshoot - you can see all the detail now.

Machine - nice shot, and sharp too. I love looking at the inside of watches - it's amazing how thy put all those tiny parts together

Hi Sara

was popping in to comment on Close up when I saw your reshoot- way better , much sharper & better lit , great re-shoot :clap:

Machine...really well lit with super detail , like the angle , the crop & inclusion of some of the strap (y) Minor niggle.....I might have cropped a smidge more off the bottom just to lose the top of writing that is creeping in

Thanks all. I agree the shell re-shoot is better than the first attempt. Must get my eyes tested!! The watch is a pretty fascinating bit of engineering and asked to be photographed - especially as I had the macro gear all set up and ready to go ...

Your Close Up re shoot is tons better as you've lost the dark area completely (y)

Machine is great too and I was thinking about a similar interpretation but MrB would have done me serious harm if I'd prised the back off one of his watches :eek:

Thanks Jill ... the great thing about that watch is that it has a glass back, so no need to open it up. Just laid it on its face and went for it!!

I agree on both counts ... both good sharp, well lit images. And I like the "machine" positioning and crop. (y)

Lovely shots this week Sara:

Re-Shoot: Very nicely done, well worth the time taken to stack all the shots.

Machine: A very nice machine it is too.

Both images sharp where it counts and well lit too (y)

Vast improvement on the close up re shoot you have really pick out some great detail in that shell
Machine works really well too great detail and well lit (y) Good work

Close, reshoot. I prefer the angle of the original but the reshoot is much sharper.

Machine, great overall detail and focus. Looks a little underexposed on my Mac, but a belting watch.

Cheers.

Thats a great improvement on the shell re-shoot Sara (y)

An a really nice detailed close up Machine too (y)

Playing catch-up this week, so here's two-for-the-price-of-one ..... Alphabet ... a plate of Alphabetti Spaghetti!! I found this a bit of a challenge to be honest, as couldn't think of anything suitable to photograph, but this tin of spaghetti served a dual purpose ... it was my week 14 "model", followed by a light lunch with a bit of toast. Perfect recycling!!

The "Sound" shot came to mind yesterday while tying to avoid the sound of our builder's heavy duty radio ... apparently, it's impossible to work with concrete unless accompanied by continuous heavy rock, from a special builders' radio, re-enforced to take any and every knock life throws at it. So what better to photograph, than Kev the Builder's heavy rock radio .... (don't think he's ever going to be a Classic FM man .... :D).

Alpabetti by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Heavy Rock by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Hi Sara

Alphabet...great minds and all that....gotta love as same subject matter as my shot , like your take though , close enough to really see the texture & the color looks spot on (y)

Sound....I had no idea that it's radio till I read your words ...wonder if it would be more obvious in color :thinking:

Alphabet ... more spaghetti ... you've zoomed in to some nice detail, texture & colour.

Sound ... odd radio, had to google it to make sure. Would like to see more detail.

Alphabet, you're not the first ;) but it's nice and close and nice colour.

Sound, belter, really like this one; I thought it was some kind of electrocution device :) I Googled it as well and what a radio.

Cheers.

Hi Sara
Alphabet.....There's been a few, but it's irrisistable. Yours is a lovely sharp close-up.
Sound. I'm another one who had to google what it was :LOL: Cracking shot though.

Close Up - I definitely like the shot of the watch. Super sharp and good use of a partial crop of the subject

Alphabet - Good lighting. I feel the right hand side is stronger for the theme as there are more letters apparent there

Sound - The mono conversion probably suits this well given the fact this is a builders radio - I never knew you could get them

So ... Week 16 - Experiment. I've taken this to an be instruction, this week, not an artistic aspiration, so i've been experimenting!!

I recently bought a Bronica ETRS Medium Format camera, having not used film for decades. These two images are from the first film I shot with it. Obviously not taken this week, as I had to wait a fortnight to get them developed, but not done anything with them until today. So, shot on the tripod mounted Bronica, on Ilford HP5 B&W film - probably a bit too fast looking at the graininess, but a lesson learned. Imported into LR5 and "gently" PP'd and sharpened. Shooting on film and then being able to PP afterwards is an interesting way to do things, and probably not for film "purists" but it's a bit different for me.

The Bronny is having the desired effect ... it makes me stop and think about every shot before pressing the button and generally slowing down my thinking so I actually consider every part of the image before pressing the button (and then often deciding not to press it at all!!). So, here's a shot of Calke Abbey in bright sunlight, and a close-up of a window in the stable yard at the same property, taken on the same day.

Calke1_Bron by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Calke2_Bron by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Film is Fun.

I too like being slowed down by medium format. You don't get that many shots on a roll, and it's slow to develop and see the results.

The Abbey isn't working for me I'm afraid. I can't help feeling a different position would have been better. The road distracts a little too much and the tree branches compete for the view of the Abbey. I'm not 100% sure what my subject should be... That could be me though!

The window is far better. Strong lines, full range of tones from black to white and interest in the whole "what's through the window?" thing.

Film is Fun.

I too like being slowed down by medium format. You don't get that many shots on a roll, and it's slow to develop and see the results.

The Abbey isn't working for me I'm afraid. I can't help feeling a different position would have been better. The road distracts a little too much and the tree branches compete for the view of the Abbey. I'm not 100% sure what my subject should be... That could be me though!

The window is far better. Strong lines, full range of tones from black to white and interest in the whole "what's through the window?" thing.

Hi Ian ... Thanks for the comments. As I said, this was very much a first go, so might try a different film next time. We live quite close to this stately home so it was a natural choice of subject (combined with a good place to walk the dog!!). Wasn't sure whether to try correcting the verticals on the window shot but didn't ... I quite like too the way it is. Onwards and upwards for more Bronny fun over the summer.

Cracking window image Sara, the pick of the two you have posted, for me, at least.

Phil

Hi, get you medium format camera, the window works well out of the two, some nice tones in there.

Have recently got back into film myself its the new thing a bit like the resurgence of vinyl, about time too

Nice work Sara great close up for alphabet your sound picture is excellent really think mono works really well.
Experiment the first pic is my fav of the 2 but nothing wrong with either.

Love the dirty old window, shadows on the curtains, old bits & pieces inside. (y)

Hi Sara,

What a great idea for an experiment. Using film does slow you down and make you think.

I agree with the others, the window is the better image, there's a lot of character in there. I'm a big fan of old & dusty (being old & dusty myself ;))

I think the building would have been better if you'd been closer to it, it seems a little swamped by all the trees

Hi Sara...

new toys are always good (y)

I admit to being completely baffled by shooting film, cannot understand the attraction at all , though I do see the attraction in developing them yourself -that would be the interesting bit for me....but can't have one without the other I guess:rolleyes:

I do like the framing of the house with the tree's though (y)

Hi Sara, I like both of your film experiment pics but #2 is my fave. I keep going back to it to see what else I can see which, to me, is the mark of a cracking photo :clap::clap::clap:

Well, here we are at week 17 already!! Time flies when you're having fun ...

Heat ... decided to look at a place where heat would definitely have been very much central to the function, so here's one of an old forge. Complete with anvil and bellows, you can imagine the blacksmith hammering away at hot metal. (The old forge at Calke Abbey. Same location as last week and our regular walking spot, but endlessly fascinating and well worth a visit.)

OldForge1 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Hi Sara...

new toys are always good (y)

I admit to being completely baffled by shooting film, cannot understand the attraction at all , though I do see the attraction in developing them yourself -that would be the interesting bit for me....but can't have one without the other I guess:rolleyes:

I do like the framing of the house with the tree's though (y)

Hi Lynne ... thanks. I just fancied having a go at film as a way of making myself slow down. I don't call myself Quicksnapper for nothing!! I do have a tendency to shot first and ask questions later which means a lot of my shots are just not quite where I want them to be had I thought about aperture, shutter speed and so n a bit more first. The downside is having to wait 2 weeks to see the results and I had forgotten just how grainy film shots can be. Still ... I'll be giving the Bronica a few more outings over the summer and see where it leads me.

Hi Sara, I like both of your film experiment pics but #2 is my fave. I keep going back to it to see what else I can see which, to me, is the mark of a cracking photo :clap::clap::clap:

Hi Jill ... thanks for the comments. Calke Park has a lot of windows like that one around the old stable yard. Worth a visit if you're ever in South Derbyshire.

Hi Sara ...well done to you for doing film shots, you're right we get used to taking loads and deleting what we don't want, I guess it's a real good discipline to use film. The window shot is my favourite too, I like the patched curtains and feel it tells a story and makes you want to know more.

Smashing choice in the forge for Heat, shame that fire wasn't burning but you still get the feeling with the blackened walls and the dusty tools, I like the old jacket and hats hanging on the wall, it's a very interesting scene, the more you look the more you see.

Heat ... spot on theme. What a lovely reconstruction (if reconstruction is the right word, maybe there's nothing reconstructed about it at all). Nice detailed shot.

Hi Sara, what a fantastic place just a great picture to look around as there is so much in it :clap:

Heat ... spot on theme. What a lovely reconstruction (if reconstruction is the right word, maybe there's nothing reconstructed about it at all). Nice detailed shot.

Hi David ... thanks for the comments. Not a reconstruction at all. Calke Abbey was lived in by an eccentric local family until the early 80's when it was handed over to the NT in its entirety. The whole place is now preserved exactly as it was found, in a state of total dis-repair and abandonment. The stable yard is amazing and the house even more so. Definitely worth a look if you're ever in the area.

Hi Sara, what a fantastic place just a great picture to look around as there is so much in it :clap:

Hi Al ... thanks. This place isn't too far from the NMA is you're ever back in the area. A photographers dream with house, gardens, deer park, lakes etc. Note to self ... must stop telling folks how great it is or you'll all start going there too!!

Hi Sara,

I do like this - a lot. It's a great image for the theme, even if the forge wasn't in use. I love all the old tools hanging on the wall

Implied Heat, like it, pity you couldn't get a bit closer to removed the lower left section. There's loads of interest in that place and I like the warm oranges.

Cheers.

Implied Heat, like it, pity you couldn't get a bit closer to removed the lower left section. There's loads of interest in that place and I like the warm oranges.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Visitors are not allowed to actually go into the building, sadly, but have to view it through available doors and windows so did the best I could from outside. I could try cropping it a bit I guess, to see if that makes the difference.

Hi Sara
So Sorry for not visiting for such a long time:( Hope I'm forgiven! Been away testing my old Burma Pro's around Norway and has taken me forever to catch up!
So I'm rolling back to Mouth (that was years ago!!!)
Mouth.... I love this horses don't generally get on with me, they either throw me off in a chatty heap on the floor and laugh at me or try and eat me. I think there fun and generally friendly though (That means I'm happy to stroke and feed them). Think this is a real fun shot! A real dominating perspective there, and I think that works well. I think the bright blue surround also works very well. looks like he's looking down his nose at you!! Like this shot, fits the theme well!
Crowd .... Host much the same(y) only crit here is the top right and bottom left ...black wedges where it looks like you have straightened the image on a black background and havnt cloned in the background and the splodge to the bottom right of the background think it was shadow of the daffs but its not working well so I'd lose that bit. Other than that looks fine to me I wouldn't say its over processed. Nice exposure!

Close Up.... Like the reshoot here. Nice crystal clear, and great colours. Really nice rich texture and detail. Fantastic patterns in sea shells isn't there!

Machine ... Fascinating looking at the movement of the watch, love the composition and angle, finely engineered that.... Nice colour and lighting razor sharp detail. Nice Work(y)

Alphabet... Why is there always food involved when your starving! Great Texture:D Do you have that overwhelming temptation to spell your name on the plate with it? No ... Oh:coat:
A real blast of orange! Love all the little highlights works well and nice and sharp.

Sound.... What no Heavy rock on Classic FM oh dear!:eek: I'm mean there's a lot of classic rock you know;) You've only got to look and the age of some of the bands that play proper music! You know when they used to have lyrics (albeit they shouted them, but most progressive rock bands were actually musicians guess that's the difference between now and then). Anyhow I really like this and the B&W conversion, gives it a really hard edge and a gritty edge if you excuse the pun. Better tell Kev that radio needs levelling;). I like all that hard texture in the brickwork and mortar. Yes folks for those that didn't know what it was you can by those radios in Screwfix!

Experiment.... Wow that's a great idea! I used a film camera last year for the first time for a long time and what a leveller. It really makes you slow down, I think to a degree with have possibly all become a little snap happy. I know it made me less sloppy and made me concentrate more. It takes something like that to draw you up a bit, I feel. I don't think the Abbey does it for me, I find the road distracting and the Abbey doesn't look too level... But I love the window shot! Grubby, Interesting and an original old frame, leaves you itching to find out what's within, that works for me Sara(y) BTW good luck with the Bronny!

Heat... Cracking! really really love this! one day when looking for an address I accidentally found this old forge in Longparish in Hampshire. I knocked the door and shouted, no one there, I pulled the door open and it was like going back 50 years, it was full of cobwebs and didn't look like anyone had been there for years, I shouted then looked around .... no one... So I left. I always meant to go back and see if it was still there... Probably all taken to a Museum or been scrapped now I guess.
There's bags of interest here, love all the tools, you can almost feel the history there, Think id just cool off the bench with the horse shoes on other than that Fantastic(y)

Lovely work Sara!
Great Stuff;)

Wow, that old forge really does look like it's seen a lot of heat over the ages! I spent ages looking at all the fascinating objects in there, as I'm sure you did in real life! Great capture! :clap:

Playing catch up this week, after a couple of weeks off .... thinking about figures and looking for inspiration, I saw this number tag on an ancient oak tree in the park. I love the texture of the bark and decided to give the mono treatment a go ... (just because I like doing mono conversions ....)

Tree404 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Back