weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

What a great location for your Spiral image, Stan - I'm envious! Great architecture and well captured.

I like Silhouette too, It's a very 'British' scene with the overcast sky and traditional skyline, and the windows look fine to me; if anything they relieve the solid darkness of the buildings.

Thanks Andrea.

Great silhouette, like all the old spires and towers with that rather modern ariel on the left, lovely British sky too (y)

Cheers Allan, give it a year or two the skyline will be different, there are couple of concrete/glass tower blocks being constructed. The ariel is at the top of the police headquarter.

Hi Stan ... nice PoV on the Spiral ... and your City Skyline Silhouette fits nicely: I tried the same sort of thing here in London with little success, it's not as grey as Aberdeen. :LOL:

Cheers David.

Nice moody sky in silhouette

I can't work out whether it's B&W or not.

I'd really like to see it wider and some off the top, that said, nice detail and well composed.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, no it's not a B&W conversion but a straight out of camera image. That was the weather on the day.

Wow, half way already. So far only been late couple of weeks but manage to catch up fairly quickly. Also manage to take most themes outdoor including this week apart from Heat, Close Up and one half of Household. Happy enough so far and looking forward to the second half.

This is taken in a model farm for rare breeds and not sure what kind of horse this is?

Anyway, Week 26 - Animal

and a black one too

Hi Stan. Shot #2 is my preference partly because of the DoF but more because of the PoV. Nice colour.

The DOF in the second shot there is absolutely spot on. The texture in the greying mane is lovely, as is the light on the flank.

Hi Stan. Shot #2 is my preference partly because of the DoF but more because of the PoV. Nice colour.

Thanks Carl, I'm happy with both shots and they each has their merits.

The DOF in the second shot there is absolutely spot on. The texture in the greying mane is lovely, as is the light on the flank.

Cheers Nick, I used a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 a lens I don't use often enough which is a shame.

Hi, quite like the first horse though the angles not the best, but it works for me

Having major problem with internet connection (BT) in the past few days. Even now its intermittent.

Not keen at all with this week Medicine/Medical theme. Really struggle with ideas and thoughts. In the end I came up with this rather round-about way of fitting this image into the theme. I came across this old saying about an apple a day etc. Any medical or scientific evidence.....?

Week 27 - Medical (Evidence)!

Now I really like that Stan - simple, nicely shot and composed and original:clap:.

Hi, just a picture of an apple would have done maybe I think everyone is familiar with the saying, no idea why probably just to get people to eat fruit

...but not the dentist apparently -- due to the acid in the apple.

Nice shot, like it.

HI Stan. Great idea. Looks like a poster that belongs in a greengrocer. (y)

The apple looks good but I'm not so keen on the presentation of the text, particularly the spacings. Just my opinion of course but with an image as minimalistic as this is I think that the arrangement of the visual elements is really important.

Overall I think this makes the image look unbalanced and I'm pretty sure it's because the three lines of text are disjointed and have different distances between them vertically. Perhaps two lines might have read better e.g. (an apple a day - keeps the doctor away!). There is also a lot more negative space at the top than the bottom and on the right compared to the left, simple things but I think with a bit more care this could look a lot better. One tip to see the balance is to squint so that it all goes soft focus, can you see what I mean now?

Regarding the message, an exclamation mark might help to drive the point home!

Cheers,

B. :cow:

Last edited:
Hi Stan, two lovely images there for Animal; I like the markings and close-up details in the first one, but the second one works better overall (for me) because of the point of view. Just the right DOF, too.

Your apple image is a good idea and made me smile, and it's nicely lit too. I think I'd have preferred the lettering to not be all capitals, but it gets the message across and would make a good poster.

Hi Stan.
Silhouette, I really like that, it's a great silhouette and the threatening skies add to it nicely.
Animal - I can't decide which one I prefer, both are good. Perhaps the second edges it slightly as the horse pops out of the shot more?
Medical - Great shot and take on the image. Would have worked well for week 28 too!

The young lad @Brian_of_Bozeat makes some valid points about the font. I had a quick edit and two lines with an ! work better. I used white font as well, and preferred it.

An amazing take on the theme. Some themes just don't grab us sometimes.

Cheers.

Hi there Stan,

Apologies for leaving your thread for so long. Just catching up on the last few shots...

Limit: I like the perspective and the way the trees head towards the vanishing point. Perfect for the theme.
Bizarre: That IS bizarre! Well seen. I like the Michelin Man :)
Broken: Very nice. Really clean light. Liking the FG interest too. It's maybe drawing my eye away from the broken ship a tad though.
Entertain: The subject fits the theme but as has been said, the BG distracts from the subject.
Spiral: What a fantastic shot :clap: I really like this. No crit from me.
Silhouette: I like this too. A very distinct silhouette :) I didn't notice the window until I read your post.
Animal: Tough call on which one for me. I prefer the colour of No1 but prefer the composition of No2. Nice bright colours.
Medical: Good fun shot :) I like it. I echo the comments re the dark areas and the text font though.

Cheers,
Lee

Very interesting silhouette Stan, I love all the little minaret's and spires. As for the weather .... Only in the UK eh! Like all the floating texture in the cloud underlined by the nice sharp silhouette, personally I think the windows add tho the image. Works well for me anyhow(y) Great skyline silhouette.

Animal .... I like both shots, very natural and as said above both have there merits. I think though No1 is my pick, no explanation just works for me, just has a really natural feel to it. I think both shots are very serene and calm good stuff. Nice DOF in 2

Medical .... Great Idea and well thought out, agree about the text comments, it I do that sort of thing it never looks right to me so I avoid it. I think a little tweaking here and you'll have cracked it. Love the handicraft on the apple!

Last edited:
Apologise for gone AWOL for a while. Having major problem with my internet connection but finally resolve by BT after 10 days.

Thank you everyone for popping in and all the nice words.

Brian; very much appreciate your detailed critiques I should really take more time and self critique first.

I'll late with this week's Proverb shot, away to Santorini for a week.

Sorry Stan I wont do a full catch up.

But....

Animal is superb the texture and detail are captured perfectly :)

Proverb is very creative my only crit would be the shadows on the left in the corner seem harsh I dont know why and im not overly fussy normally but the left hand side of the apple looks very dark to me, just my 2p

Sorry Stan I wont do a full catch up.

Proverb is very creative my only crit would be the shadows on the left in the corner seem harsh I dont know why and im not overly fussy normally but the left hand side of the apple looks very dark to me, just my 2p

Thanks Nathan, you mean Medical? I haven't post up Proverb yet!

Just back from a week’s holiday in Santorini and while there I think I’ve managed to capture the previous two weeks themes. However I’ll leave them for fellow TP52’ers to decide and critique.

We stayed in Imerovigli, NW of the island looking down the Caldera. In the first morning the sea was clam with hardly any wind. There were a few yachts and boats going about and one was quite close by so I grabbed the camera and snapped this shot at the same time as a flock of bird was going by too.

Week - 28 Proverb – “A Smooth Sea Never Made A Skilful Sailor”

Hi Stan. That is one calm sea - looks almost as if you'd added a texture. Picture of serenity,

Hi Stan

Don't know that proverb ... the 52's Proverb theme is educational. :)

Love that smooth sea and colour contrast ... nicely done.

Hi Stan,
What a great proverb. Not heard that one before. Nice shot. Plenty of negative space to give the feel of a small yacht in a huge ocean.

That is such a beautiful image Stan. Often talked about it but never been. Kept all the detail and subtle variances in the whites - very well taken composition-wise as well. Bravo :clap:

Blimey. Not only is it pale, it's got colour, it's got old windmills and a dome [church presumably] on the horizon.

Hi, Proverb, wonderful. Really like the sentiments behind it. I like the 'lostness' of your photograph. Often wanted to try sailing. Nice blues and the gulls add to this.

Pale, what a wonderful scene...apart from the guy bottom, centre that looks like he's having a pee in someone pool :)

Cheers.

the guy bottom, centre that looks like he's having a pee in someone pool :LOL:

That is such a beautiful image Stan. Often talked about it but never been. Kept all the detail and subtle variances in the whites - very well taken composition-wise as well. Bravo :clap:

Blimey. Not only is it pale, it's got colour, it's got old windmills and a dome [church presumably] on the horizon.

Thanks for the comment Carl and David. The place was packed with tourist and selfie sticks everywhere!

Hi, Proverb, wonderful. Really like the sentiments behind it. I like the 'lostness' of your photograph. Often wanted to try sailing. Nice blues and the gulls add to this.

Pale, what a wonderful scene...apart from the guy bottom, centre that looks like he's having a pee in someone pool :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, well spotted.

Back