weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

Hi there Stan,

Pale: A well executed shot. Plenty of pale but so much vivid colour too. There's lots of little details in there to keep ones eye engaged. Great shot.
Tear: A stunning photo. Especially the mono one. I find myself looking around the shot absorbing the detail. My only comment would be to crop a tiny bit off the bottom to remove the small bit of black clothing and maybe remove what looks like a necklace.
Words: You've captured the bright lettering nicely. It rely seems to pop out of the photo.
Support: Stunning shot. Super sharp from front to back. Lovely blue hour tones with the orange sodium picking out the arch nicely. Fantastic :clap:

A couple from me this week, just can't decide which one to submit so I'll let the TP 52 experts to critique and comment.

This is a memorial for seafarers since my hometown Aberdeen being a port city firstly for fishing before the 70's and nowadays the offshore oil and gas industries.

Both taken this morning with a 16-35 zoom lens + polarising filter.

Week 33 - Religious

Hi Stan. Both excellent for different reasons. #1 for the starburst effect creates a stunning feature whilst #2 with the city in the bg gives a certain poignancy. Both of course well themed and executed.

Hi Stan, definitely the first one for me, might have been tempted to go B+W :thinking: the light coming through the cross very symbolic

Nice Work Stan!
Support.... I like the bridge very much, the little pails of light running all down the bridge tend to lead you into the shot. Nicely planned and executed shot(y).
Religious ..... Although I like both very much, I'm drawn to No1 with the sunburst, (a) because I'm a sucker for sunbursts and (b) because I really like the stark contrast between the silhouette of the cross and the brilliance of the sunburst. Another well planned shot.

Religious #1 is a beaut. ... [for reasons stated above]. (y)

Hi Stan, love the support shot and well worth waiting for the 'blue hour' :clap::clap::clap:

Religion - I like the simplicity of #1 but prefer the context #2 gives. 2 stunning shots :woot::woot:

Last edited:
Hi Stan, definitely the first one for me, might have been tempted to go B+W :thinking: the light coming through the cross very symbolic

Hi Stan, definitely one for me too, the simplicity adds to the starkness of the cross, smashing use of the starburst of light at the top of the cross, and super composition with the expanse of blue sky at the top.

Thanks Allan and Susie for the comments. I was hoping to shoot the cross more square on like the second shot and with the sun light coming through the same place but I can't do much with the sun nor the cross positions. In the end the slight side on view works ok too.

Nice Work Stan!
Support.... I like the bridge very much, the little pails of light running all down the bridge tend to lead you into the shot. Nicely planned and executed shot(y).
Religious ..... Although I like both very much, I'm drawn to No1 with the sunburst, (a) because I'm a sucker for sunbursts and (b) because I really like the stark contrast between the silhouette of the cross and the brilliance of the sunburst. Another well planned shot.

Religious #1 is a beaut. ... [for reasons stated above]. (y)

Hi Stan, love the support shot and well worth waiting for the 'blue hour' :clap::clap::clap:

Religion - I like the simplicity of #1 but prefer the context #2 gives. 2 stunning shots :woot::woot:

Thank you Steve, David and Jill. Comments very much appreciated.

Hi Stan,
Support: Lovely sky, looks very pleasing. The bridge looks surprising clean! On the right size under the second small light are they "love locks" or just crap on the bridge?
religion: Very Good, I like them both but if I had to pick one then I guess #1, seems more religious. #2 I like the bright cross against the sky, and I get the "lord watches over you" sentiment. Just not quite as appealing as #1

Hi Stan,
Support: Lovely sky, looks very pleasing. The bridge looks surprising clean! On the right size under the second small light are they "love locks" or just crap on the bridge?
religion: Very Good, I like them both but if I had to pick one then I guess #1, seems more religious. #2 I like the bright cross against the sky, and I get the "lord watches over you" sentiment. Just not quite as appealing as #1

Thanks Ian, yes they are 'Love Lock' and glad there aren't too many.

The cross is not that big, probable about 2 to 2.5 metre high. I crouched quite low to take the shots and hence looks bigger that actual.

Been raining the last 36 hours here and more to come this evening for likely another 36 hours! So took this dry period trying to grab the shot I've in mind but as usual it didn't turned out the way I was hoping for. Anyway ended up with this shot.

Thought I leave the odd shape and colour in to break up the uniformity.

Week 34 - Geometric

Last edited:
Hi Stan, I think the drop of colour works well. I find the fellas in the highvis a little distracting but all in all its good. Lots of different shapes and I like the zigzag ladder thingy. I might have been tempted to crop to the zigzag thingy and include say 3 or five floors, but that's just me :)

Hi Stan. Never thought I would say something like this of scaffolding but ..... I find it quite "arty" ...... in an urban sort of way. Colourful too. I like it. :clap:

Hi Stan, I think the drop of colour works well. I find the fellas in the highvis a little distracting but all in all its good. Lots of different shapes and I like the zigzag ladder thingy. I might have been tempted to crop to the zigzag thingy and include say 3 or five floors, but that's just me :)

Thanks Ian, yes agree the high-vis figure is a bit distracting and I intentionally left him in to break up the repetitive and uniform shapes and patterns.
Oh, the zig zag are the access stairs.

Hi Stan. Never thought I would say something like this of scaffolding but ..... I find it quite "arty" ...... in an urban sort of way. Colourful too. I like it. :clap:

Cheers Carl, me too scaffoldings being arty and photogenic! :thinking: I noticed the whole scaffold staging being quite uniformly constructed with repetitive lines and shapes. The yellow safety netting adds some colours to an otherwise a boring subject.

Like it, having the red park close the the edge feels uncomfortable, but I quite like it, and also I much prefer having the guy in the high viz vest in.

Cheers.

Hi Stan ...I agree with Carl it has that 'arty' look, I like the colours of the netting and scaffold and the inclusion of the bit of red at the bottom right.an excellent choice for the theme

Thanks Susie, pleased you like the shot and comments much appreciated.

Like it, having the red park close the the edge feels uncomfortable, but I quite like it, and also I much prefer having the guy in the high viz vest in.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, glad you are think the same too about the figure. Great minds think alike. :)

Nice ... I like subjects like this. The red bit down the bottom and the yellow man both add that little something.

Super idea for the theme. If I were being critical I could say that it could do with a focal point to hold the eye in place but with that said, I really like it overall. :cow:

Not keen on this week's theme at all, just not my kind of photographic genre and I suppose that's part of the 52 challenge is to take me out of my comfort zone. Like most other photographers I just don't have the gut to ask some pretty girls with good sense of fashion if its OK to take her photo.

So to get me out of this week here my take on Fashion. Up early this morning when the streets are quieter and came across this shop window reflection and thought "Well, thats two better known High Street fashion stores and that'll do for this week"

Week 35 - Fashion

It works though, and I feel B&W suits(1) that image particularly well.
You've made a far better job of the perspectives of the architecture than I have done over the past few weeks too.

(1) Pun intended ;)

thats two better known High Street fashion stores and that'll do for this week"

I must admit though I do find the bike, bottom right a tad distracting, but nonetheless,
Very clever (y)

I must admit though I do find the bike, bottom right a tad distracting, but nonetheless,
Very clever (y)

:thinking: Don't know how you manage to spot that you must have some eye sight but well done (y). Now I know it's there my eyes always drift over to that corner every time I look at the image! :confused:

:thinking: Don't know how you manage to spot that you must have some eye sight but well done (y). Now I know it's there my eyes always drift over to that corner every time I look at the image! :confused:
Sorry :D

... works very well indeed. Shop windows are a bugger to photograph with all sorts of unwanted reflection, this looks pretty clean to me, with the inverted John Lewis. (y)

... works very well indeed. Shop windows are a bugger to photograph with all sorts of unwanted reflection, this looks pretty clean to me, with the inverted John Lewis. (y)

Thanks David, A polarising filter was on the camera to eliminated as much reflection as I could and that's best result.

I agree with d00d it works well, a good clean, sharp shot, perfectly composed and cropped (if it was cropped), I like this one a lot.

( I cant see the bike ...must go to Specsavers.)

Thanks Susie, cropped, yes but very small around the shop window. Oh the bike! no ideal how Chris @Cobra able to spot it but here's the bottom right cropped and enlarged.

Oh the bike! no ideal how Chris @Cobra able to spot it but here's the bottom right cropped and enlarged.
If I can spot small prey moving through the grass I can spot something that large :D

Hi, like the shop window with the reflection of the John lewis sign well spotted and perfect for the theme

Hi Stan. I've been playing around with PL filters too. Nicely constructed and composed image. Excellent response to the theme.

Back