weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

Th
Hi Stan, I like the details and textures in this old machinery, and my favourite is the third because of the way the wheel stands out against the OOF background and also the contrast between the rusty browns and the natural greens.

Thanks Andrea, very much appreciated and pleased you like the shot too.

Yep ... I remember your Machine shot, and pleased to see it again. I think I like your 1st Reshoot most.

Sky's The Limit ... good idea for the theme, well done.

Reactions: rpn
Skies the limit, nice idea here and will catch it good detail in the branches were exposed sky and I like to see a little more shadow detail but apart from that this has always been a perspective that I have liked .

Cheers

Hi, some nice shots of the machine there and "sky's the limit" kicking myself for not thinking of that perspective, nicely thought out

Hi Stan :)

Household - I'm much preferring the tighter crop of the first image, for many that is their household and I like the way they both tower above the surrounding buildings, although I also like the brightness of the other tower block image, I don't think it has the same impact :)

Re-Shoot Machine - OOo rusty cogs, like them, and although I like the DoF in the last, the first shot says machine much more to me, also liking the variety of cogs and angles they all sit in the frame, colour too (y)

Have a GREAT break :)

Figures is the kind of scene I wouldn't even point the camera at, I'd look and dismiss the figures as too distant, but it really works here... You learn something everyday! There's a hugeness to it, largely due to the distance of the figures, and a feeling of space. Really nice!

The Simpsons gets my vote for household, the way homer is lit while the rest of the family aren't is really cleverly done (layers?). The only fly in the ointment for me is the patchy background.

I love the simplicity of the single gear shot for the reshoot. The single subject and simple composition let's you focus on the textures in the metal, and the colours and DOF.

Limit... Bugger... Wish I'd thought of that! Fits the theme, and it's a pleasing image. The central placing of the 'hole' was the right decision, it really draws the eye up through the trees.

Sky's The Limit ... good idea for the theme, well done.

Cheers David.

Skies the limit, nice idea here and will catch it good detail in the branches were exposed sky and I like to see a little more shadow detail but apart from that this has always been a perspective that I have liked .

Cheers

Thanks Andy, It was noon when the shot was taken the worst time of the day for photography

Hi, some nice shots of the machine there and "sky's the limit" kicking myself for not thinking of that perspective, nicely thought out

Cheers Allan, I had two locations in mind for the shot. The other would be looking up some high rise but there aren't many around here apart council tower blocks. I feel more comfortable walking around with my camera in woods than the other.

Hi Stan :)

Household - I'm much preferring the tighter crop of the first image, for many that is their household and I like the way they both tower above the surrounding buildings, although I also like the brightness of the other tower block image, I don't think it has the same impact :)

Re-Shoot Machine - OOo rusty cogs, like them, and although I like the DoF in the last, the first shot says machine much more to me, also liking the variety of cogs and angles they all sit in the frame, colour too (y)

Have a GREAT break :)

Thanks Dean.

Figures is the kind of scene I wouldn't even point the camera at, I'd look and dismiss the figures as too distant, but it really works here... You learn something everyday! There's a hugeness to it, largely due to the distance of the figures, and a feeling of space. Really nice!

The Simpsons gets my vote for household, the way homer is lit while the rest of the family aren't is really cleverly done (layers?). The only fly in the ointment for me is the patchy background.

I love the simplicity of the single gear shot for the reshoot. The single subject and simple composition let's you focus on the textures in the metal, and the colours and DOF.

Limit... Bugger... Wish I'd thought of that! Fits the theme, and it's a pleasing image. The central placing of the 'hole' was the right decision, it really draws the eye up through the trees.

Cheers Nick, I was luck with the Figures shot I come across the scene by chance and thought I would work round it with some pp.

No layers were involved there. The shot started with the whole Simpson family, I quickly removed everyone apart from Homer after the shutter was fired and hence there are under exposed.

Hi Stan,

Household - the Simpsons for me, a nice little household, and really clever how you managed to highlight just Homer :clap:

Reshoot - now, I'm torn between number one, because I really like seeing all the moss and ageing on the machinery (the weed is a tiny bit distracting though).....but again, I love the dof in that last one you posted....both cracking shots

Sky's the limit - great take on the theme. I did think of sky's the limit, but I couldn't come up with an idea of how to show it, but you've cracked it here (y)

Hi Stan ....back to Household for me ...I like the first block of lats for its starkness, it looks very sixties, the second ones are so bright, they look almost as if they're not real, two smashing shots and The Simpsons is a great idea too.

Reshoot ....I love the rusty old machinery ....the first one looks a tad bright, but that may be my screen, hard to choose but i think my favourite is the last one, lots of contrast in there.

Limit is my favourite of the week, I've seen a few of these in black and white but to me the colour brings it alive, a real smasher :clap:

Hi Stan
Here we go with figures....
Figures.... I struggled with your shot here Stan. I had to take off my 'landscape' head and get the Crowman to make me an arty one quick! A lot of negative space and flat light here and I guess that's what makes the figures stand out! So works well and right on theme(y).

Household.... Both nicely on theme but think I really like No2 best head of the household. Love the lighting on this one, nice spotlight on Homer... Like that subdued lighting on the rest of the family... Nice job!

Machine re-shoot... I like the B&W shot of the sluice operating gear. Very gritty and business like!

Limit... Like these shots they always work for me. Trees blue skies what's not to like;)

When the Bizarre theme came out last Friday I thought I would struggle to come up with anything suitable here in Cyprus being a more traditional and conventional country but luckily I stumbled across this at a beach bar.

Mountain biking are so yesterday the trend now is Tree Biking

Week 21 - Bizarre

... fits the theme! and you've captured the scene well considering the light coditions.

good spot Stan, only thing I would say is that they're a little hard to see amongst the leaves, not sure how you'd fix it though, doubt I could. Maybe you should revisit in the winter when the leaves are gone :p :p of course you need an excuse to go back :D

Very odd place to park your bike, well spotted

Cheers Allan

... fits the theme! and you've captured the scene well considering the light coditions.

Thanks David, there are other oddities dotted about too therefore angle and viewpoint are pretty restricted for a better view.

good spot Stan, only thing I would say is that they're a little hard to see amongst the leaves, not sure how you'd fix it though, doubt I could. Maybe you should revisit in the winter when the leaves are gone :p :p of course you need an excuse to go back :D

Thanks Summer and that's as good a excuse as any for a revisit.

Hi Stan - really fits the theme - very bizarre! :)

Cheers Michalene

Of all the world heritage sites and ancient attractions here in Cyprus I’ve to submit this shot of a modern day shipwreck for this week’s Broken theme. A lot of visitors at this time of the year so the shots I’ve taken at those locations are like holiday snaps with people everywhere.

Week 22 - Broken and Out of Service

Really like Broken Stan - beautiful colours and nice clear/clean shot. I prefer the re-shot Machinery - the focus draws the eye to the main cog whilst still showing a little of it's relationship with the rest of the machinery.

Last edited:
Bizzarre: Well spotted. A couple of well inebriated punters maybe, with a little help from michelin man. Agree with Summer about the leaves but not much you could do really.

Broken: recognised where this was as soon as I saw it. Beautiful colours

Really like Broken Stan - beautiful colours and nice clear/clean shot. I prefer the re-shot Machinery - the focus draws the eye to the main cog whilst still showing a little of it's relationship with the rest of the machinery.

Thanks Carl. a polarising filter was used to enhance the colours and cut out the reflection from the water.

Bizzarre: Well spotted. A couple of well inebriated punters maybe, with a little help from michelin man. Agree with Summer about the leaves but not much you could do really.

Broken: recognised where this was as soon as I saw it. Beautiful colours

Many thanks Mandy.

Hi Stan,

I do like your broken shot. I think the clear blue sky & water are a great counterpoint to the wreck - well spotted (y)

Broken ... lots of colour and detail. I'd like to see more detail of the shipwreck but at the same time wouldn't want to lose that all important FG. (y)

Hi Stan,

I do like your broken shot. I think the clear blue sky & water are a great counterpoint to the wreck - well spotted (y)

Thanks Lorraine. There's a little cafe/Taverna to the right of where the shot was taken. Quite popular with expats and holiday makers too.

Broken ... lots of colour and detail. I'd like to see more detail of the shipwreck but at the same time wouldn't want to lose that all important FG. (y)

Cheers David. I walked around trying different viewpoints but would ended up with the wreck and lots of sky and sea. I thought this shot has more interesting foreground.

Household - I like the lighting in the Simpsons shot, the flats are well shot, but a bit of a meh subject (not that i've posted anything better).
Reshoot - Machine. - The first shot is my favourite, I don't think the B&W treatment adds anything to it. If anything the difference between the green background and the greys of the wheels make them stand out more.

Broken, now that's one boring sky :)

What a belting ship that is. The FG rocks do lead my eye into the frame but I can't decide of they dominate the photograph too much :thinking: Nice greens and blues and great front to back sharpness.

Would make a belting long exposure star trail subject matter.

Cheers.

Stan,
Broken - Really good shot. Nice colours and plenty of interest. I might have been tempted to zoom, crop to the boat itself, but I think I would have been wrong. Including the foreground makes the picture.

Bizarre... Well that's bizarre tree bikes! Smacks of some irate parent getting fed up with their kids and lashing there bikes up in a tree! My father took the front wheel out of my motorbike when I was about 17 and threw it up on the barn roof where I couldn't find it, when I got out of hand once:D
Anyhow great shot well spotted, it's certainly bizarre! Looks like there's a problem with the forks:) Was there a spokes - person at the bar that could comment on them:rolleyes:.

Broken.... Absolutely cracking colour there Stan. Nice foreground interest, really nice colours in the sea, lights a bit harsh but hey on holiday you have to grab what you can get most of the time... Nice shot Stan(y)

Broken, now that's one boring sky :)

What a belting ship that is. The FG rocks do lead my eye into the frame but I can't decide of they dominate the photograph too much :thinking: Nice greens and blues and great front to back sharpness.

Would make a belting long exposure star trail subject matter.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, know what you mean about the sky being boring that's he reason why I only included as little of it as possible.

Back