weekly rpn's 2018 Project 52 - Week 52 SHOWCASE Added (Complete)

Hi Stan, what a great idea and execution for Bizarre! It's really well set up, the light is just right to bring out the textures and colours, and it raised a smile here :)

Wild - I would say 'great mind think alike' but I haven't got my image yet! I took some images of the local seals here a couple of weeks ago and intended to go back today for this theme, but the weather has been atrocious so it will have to be later this week. Ours live on a small island in the middle of a tidal race so it won't be as peaceful your lovely scene where they look as though they are sunbathing and snoozing on the sand. I like the composition too, with the horizontal thirds of sand, seals and sea, and the different colours of their coats.

Your images for Autumn show the power of post-processing and you have achieved some convincing seasonal colours (y) It is a lovely scene too, with the lines of water leading the eye through the landscape, and looks like a nice spot to visit throughout the year.

Hi Stan, what a great idea and execution for Bizarre! It's really well set up, the light is just right to bring out the textures and colours, and it raised a smile here :)

Wild - I would say 'great mind think alike' but I haven't got my image yet! I took some images of the local seals here a couple of weeks ago and intended to go back today for this theme, but the weather has been atrocious so it will have to be later this week. Ours live on a small island in the middle of a tidal race so it won't be as peaceful your lovely scene where they look as though they are sunbathing and snoozing on the sand. I like the composition too, with the horizontal thirds of sand, seals and sea, and the different colours of their coats.

Your images for Autumn show the power of post-processing and you have achieved some convincing seasonal colours (y) It is a lovely scene too, with the lines of water leading the eye through the landscape, and looks like a nice spot to visit throughout the year.

Thanks, Andrea. I used the phone torch and move it round to make sure the whole banana is evenly lit.

I've learned the hard way over the years taking photos that you can't depend on the weather not here in the UK anyway.

Access to the banks of the waterfalls is limited by either privately owned properties or fenced off by the council due to health and safety regulations.

Thanks, Andrea. I used the phone torch and move it round to make sure the whole banana is evenly lit.

I've learned the hard way over the years taking photos that you can't depend on the weather not here in the UK anyway.

Access to the banks of the waterfalls is limited by either privately owned properties or fenced off by the council due to health and safety regulations.

I have used an LED torch in the past to do something similar with a still life subject. It's fun to experiment with light after avoiding it for many years :)

You are right about the weather, and I thought I may be out of luck today too with gale force winds forecast for this evening, but I'm glad I chanced it as the seals were playing on the swell quite close to land. I haven't been able to check the images yet but hopefully there's a good one among them.

Sad to read about the restricted access but you seem to have found a good angle for your images.

Good stuff - the only thing that bothers me about the submitted one is the patch of sky. I think it's a lot stronger without it.

Yep - nailed it :D

Nice light on the rock Stan and a great subject for the theme the sun really shows off the colour and texture
it looks straight to me by the way

Hollow is a cool shot, even though it slants to the right a bit. Like the lighting in the image too.

Thanks, Dave. The horizon is dead level, it's optical illusions.

Nice light on the rock Stan and a great subject for the theme the sun really shows off the colour and texture
it looks straight to me by the way

Cheers, Allan. Luckily I got there just at the right time any later the rock would be in the shadow of the cliff behind me.

Lovely light on thre rock - and I like the little blob of seagull through it :)

Very good light which really picks out the details, it was worth going at that time of day. The horizon is straight but I think there is a bit of an optical illusion going on, that said it looks good to me.

Hollow

The light is just right and good on you for going that far (the extra mile) to get the shot.

Lovely light on thre rock - and I like the little blob of seagull through it :)

Thanks, Dave. I was toying with the idea of whether to clone it out or not.

Very good light which really picks out the details, it was worth going at that time of day. The horizon is straight but I think there is a bit of an optical illusion going on, that said it looks good to me.

Cheers, Chris. Agree the time of the day makes a big difference to the image. I've checked the horizon twice, in the RAW processing and in PS.

I commented on your Autumn image before, but I do agree that the edit suggested by Dave @-Oy- has improved it. Not something I noticed at first but it works even better without that patch of light (y)

Hollow is a great choice for the theme, not only the subject but the decision about the golden hour light. I also like the way you can see the distant rock (and Gull) framed in the arch.

Hi Stan,

• Autumn - Very Autumn. Nice leading lines. The processing really gives it an autumn feel, which wasn't in the SooC.
    It has given the sky a purple hue though perhaps?
  • Hollow - Could also be an autimn shot. You've captured the low sunlight that can be typical of this end of the year really nicely there. it really shows how the right light can make or break an image.

I commented on your Autumn image before, but I do agree that the edit suggested by Dave @-Oy- has improved it. Not something I noticed at first but it works even better without that patch of light (y)

Hollow is a great choice for the theme, not only the subject but the decision about the golden hour light. I also like the way you can see the distant rock (and Gull) framed in the arch.

Thanks, Andrea. Time of the day makes a difference to the image.

Hi Stan,

• Autumn - Very Autumn. Nice leading lines. The processing really gives it an autumn feel, which wasn't in the SooC.
    It has given the sky a purple hue though perhaps?
  • Hollow - Could also be an autimn shot. You've captured the low sunlight that can be typical of this end of the year really nicely there. it really shows how the right light can make or break an image.

Cheers, Tim.

My image for this week is a most uninspiring static setup shot of a boring 1/18 scale MODEL of an uninteresting Mini Cooper. :( :)

However, over in the "What Do You Want Out of 2019" thread there are many posts about technique idea for next year and so happen this is the result a 7 images focus stacking technique.

Week 42 - Model

BMW Mini Cooper One 1/18th Model by Stan, on Flickr

Good use of focus stacking, I don't see many models but that looks quite detailed. no complaints from me about it being boring you have obviously taken your time to get it right

At first glance it's not obvious it's a model, it could be a promotional shot.
i assume that's due to the focus stacking? I've ried it once and failed abysmally, but maybe something to try with the fuji's focus blending mode...

Very nice take on theme Stan, like the angle it`s taken at plus the shadow too.

Thanks, Dave.

Good use of focus stacking, I don't see many models but that looks quite detailed. no complaints from me about it being boring you have obviously taken your time to get it right

Cheers, Allan. The model is 20cm (8") in length and the doors, bonnet and hatch are all open. The engine even has all the hoses and labellings.

At first glance it's not obvious it's a model, it could be a promotional shot.
i assume that's due to the focus stacking? I've ried it once and failed abysmally, but maybe something to try with the fuji's focus blending mode...

Thanks, Tim. The shot is 7 images stacked and blended in PS CS6. I didn't know Fuji has focus blending mode in camera. What model of Fuji is that?

X-T2 & X-T3 (and maybe the XH1 ?

Cheers, I better get the manual out.
nvTlQFL.gif

Stan

A quick catch up on comments.

Autumn, lots of nice colours however obtained and the cropped imaged enchances them, good call Dave (-oy-)

Hollow, fits the theme perfectly and I love the golden light on the rocks against the blue sky. I at first thought the sea appears to slant very slightly, but it's the line of pebbles slanting which gives that illusion.

Model, that a cracking shot, just like a promotional shot but smaller, good use of light to create those shadows. looks very professional.

Pete

Very nice looking Model Mini - and well shot :)

Model

Nice Stacking. I like the vibrant red, good lighting and plain background.

Stan

A quick catch up on comments.

Autumn, lots of nice colours however obtained and the cropped imaged enchances them, good call Dave (-oy-)

Hollow, fits the theme perfectly and I love the golden light on the rocks against the blue sky. I at first thought the sea appears to slant very slightly, but it's the line of pebbles slanting which gives that illusion.

Model, that a cracking shot, just like a promotional shot but smaller, good use of light to create those shadows. looks very professional.

Pete

Thanks, Pete for the catchup comments. I'm always pleased to take on board constructive comments and in this case, it definitely improves the image.

For the Model shot setup, I used a home-made light tent with 3 Ikea table pose lights. One on each side more or less at car body level and one at the top.

Back