weekly rpn's 52 Photo Challenge 2022 - Week 52 SHOWCASE and COMPLETE

That's a great shot and well composed as you've made it look a lot taller than it actually is. On first view I thought it was huge!

I really like that Stan.
All the better for waiting for the right light to show it off rather than accepting whatever light was available on your first visit :)

Thanks, Tim. Light is the main ingredient of our hobby.

That's a great shot and well composed as you've made it look a lot taller than it actually is. On first view I thought it was huge!

Thanks, Helen

This is cool Stan. Well composed and I like the how the colour of the streaks mirrors the colour of the flags.

Reactions: rpn
This is cool Stan. Well composed and I like the how the colour of the streaks mirrors the colour of the flags.

Thanks, Bill. Didn't notice the flag colours until you mentioned them.

I like that Stan, the colours you've light painted work well :)
I also like how you took the time & effort to precisely line up the camera to have the arches symmetrical.

Thanks, Tim. I tried my best to create the blue and green wave patterns too but not quite there.

That's really nicely done. The colours against the lighting on the stone look great. How on earth did you get the red lines as straight as that over that distance, mine would have bee all over the place?

That's really nicely done. The colours against the lighting on the stone look great. How on earth did you get the red lines as straight as that over that distance, mine would have bee all over the place?

Thanks, Nick. I held the torch against my body like holding a camera, dark clothing and black gloves, and walked slowly, Shutter speed was 20 seconds so plenty time to walk from side to side.

That's amazing! It looks like something out of Harry Potter. Well done!

Thanks, Simon.

I like that.

Tech Q - how many 'passes' did you have to make? One for each line, and then combine? or several in one hit?

Thanks, Kell. One image per light trail then merged all five shots together.

An innovative image Stan ... nice!!

Not many interesting trees left around here now actually it was estimated that over one and a half million trees in Aberdeenshire were damaged or affected by Storm Arwen back in November last year. So I resorted to PS again to create a slight interesting shot for this week.

Week 16 Trees

Trees by Stan, on Flickr

Cool effect Stan, it's got me thinking about how I might get something similar either as one shot in camera (longer exposure with a pause before moving he camera or using the in camera double exposure) or two discrete shots that are blended in PS.

Cool effect Stan, it's got me thinking about how I might get something similar either as one shot in camera (longer exposure with a pause before moving he camera or using the in camera double exposure) or two discrete shots that are blended in PS.

Thanks, Bill. I've attempted your first idea, ICM method, before but you need a reasonable long exposure time for that and I suppose the second method should work too. In my case its a single image with motion blur added.

Really interesting effect. Undecided as to whether I like it or not, but art is supposed to challenge sometimes.

Nice work Stan. I'm liking the colours...

Thanks, Simon.

Really interesting effect. Undecided as to whether I like it or not, but art is supposed to challenge sometimes.

It's a Marmite thing. It's not to everyone's taste but I just enjoyed the play with PhotoShop post-processing.

Technology - It's amazing to think how much storage you can get in a small package, especially since it's a spinning disc. In the workshop at the depot they still have some old MFM drives which are huge, heavy and have a capacity measured in Mb. Nice sharp detailed image.

Discarded - It was obviously too much effort to keep a hold of the empty bottle until they reached a bin. I'm left wondering what the area looks like when the council haven't been out.

Flora - Is it the shallow DOF that has caused the blurred leaf at the bottom?

Unusual - It certainly meets the theme and is complemented well by the sky you have captured.

Snappers Choice - I do enjoy light painting images, are you there on your own setting up the camera on a tripod and remotely triggering the camera?

Trees - I like seeing trees like this, I would really like to achieve something similar in camera. It has nice tones with lighting that enhance the image.

That works well Stan. I like the way you've left the bases unmoved so to speak.

Nice trees pic - works great with the bottom in focus :)

Technology - It's amazing to think how much storage you can get in a small package, especially since it's a spinning disc. In the workshop at the depot they still have some old MFM drives which are huge, heavy and have a capacity measured in Mb. Nice sharp detailed image.

Discarded - It was obviously too much effort to keep a hold of the empty bottle until they reached a bin. I'm left wondering what the area looks like when the council haven't been out.

Flora - Is it the shallow DOF that has caused the blurred leaf at the bottom?

Unusual - It certainly meets the theme and is complemented well by the sky you have captured.

Snappers Choice - I do enjoy light painting images, are you there on your own setting up the camera on a tripod and remotely triggering the camera?

Trees - I like seeing trees like this, I would really like to achieve something similar in camera. It has nice tones with lighting that enhance the image.

Thanks, Stuart for the catch-up comments.

I was on my own for the Snapper's Choice Light Painting shot. I firstly setup the camera on tripod and took a test shot to calculate the exposure timing. I then 'walked' the trails with a timer to determine my walking pace from side to side. All done with the camera self-timer.

I'm playing catch up here>

Snappers Choice is really well done, nice composition and interesting use of technique. I like it a lot
Trees - an interesting affect which does produce a very colourful image.

You've got some nice colours there Stan and it fits the theme nicely. I did wonder if it was photoshopped or in camera. I have done in camera ones where I've left it a bit too long at the start, so I wasn't sure.

I'm playing catch up here>

Snappers Choice is really well done, nice composition and interesting use of technique. I like it a lot
Trees - an interesting affect which does produce a very colourful image.

Thanks, Jim. The tree shot was taken in the evening just when the sun was setting.

You've got some nice colours there Stan and it fits the theme nicely. I did wonder if it was photoshopped or in camera. I have done in camera ones where I've left it a bit too long at the start, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks, Beb. I have tried in camera technique before but not very successfully. This is a simple Photoshop effect. Here are the steps if you like to try it out.

Open image in PS.
Duplicate background layer
Select the new background copy layer -> Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur
Set angle to 90° (vertical blur) and set distance to suit (blurriness!)
Add Layer Mask to Background Copy Layer
Select Gradient Tool (G) with background colour as Black
Click and drag cursor from bottom upward to where you want blur to start. or down from top if you want the top of tree in focus.

Good luck!

Back