Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

I haven't looked for your choice in the main thread yet, but #2 is my pick, I think for the back lighting and the contrast between the shade and light in the background. Though it's a close run thing, they all have lovely light :)

ETA: I've looked now, that was the other one I saw as a contender for my pick.

Last edited:
Nice set of leaves - you picked the right one for me.

Nice close up on the phone camera.
Leaves - #2 for me with the light and just a hint of shadow.

1st for me too Alex, very colourful (y)

I like the one you have chosen Alex lovely detail.

Camera
I like the bright red and black combo.

Leaves
Nice bit of backlight, it really shows off the autumn hues.

I really like all those leaf shots Alex but the one you've chosen for the main thread is a stunner.

Fabulous colours in your leaves. They look striking against the blue background.
I haven't looked for your choice in the main thread yet, but #2 is my pick, I think for the back lighting and the contrast between the shade and light in the background. Though it's a close run thing, they all have lovely light :)

ETA: I've looked now, that was the other one I saw as a contender for my pick.
Nice set of leaves - you picked the right one for me.
Nice close up on the phone camera.
Leaves - #2 for me with the light and just a hint of shadow.
Very much like the detail in the leaf and the colours with the light shining through the leaf.
1st for me too Alex, very colourful (y)
strong light and colour, nice set of pictures
Nice set of leaves shots. I prefer # for the simple and bold colour.
I like the one you have chosen Alex lovely detail.
Camera
I like the bright red and black combo.

Leaves
Nice bit of backlight, it really shows off the autumn hues.
I really like all those leaf shots Alex but the one you've chosen for the main thread is a stunner.

Thanks all! I have an idea for my abstract photo, but need to wait for supplies to arrive before I can execute it... I think they'll arrive before Thursday... :oops: :$

Shame your plan didn't come together. This one is definitely abstract though.. same as Allan, am assuming it is sand?

Really nice abstract - lovely lines, tones and colours!

Nice colours and detail in 'Abstract' - I also presume it is sand.

Is it sand? gravel? interesting texture and suitably abstract

Shame your plan didn't come together. This one is definitely abstract though.. same as Allan, am assuming it is sand?

Really nice abstract - lovely lines, tones and colours!

Nice colours and detail in 'Abstract' - I also presume it is sand.

Loving the last image, thought it might be a flapjack.

Thanks all - whilst I would truly love this to be flapjack (one of the many good foods we can't get here) it is just a stone, retrieved from Valley of Fire State Park. A slightly interesting set up to get the lighting controlled though...

IMG_20201216_105549130 by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Week 51 - Showcase

Despite everything, this has been as good year for me photographically. I've got back in to film, and will even be (darkroom) printing (very badly!) in the near future. This project has focused me as well - having a reason to go out to get photos for a specific brief gross like it has developed me.

That being said, the photo I've chosen was from early in the year - a February camping trip in Death Valley National Park, before the world ended. Perhaps I should've taken the apocalyptic sky as a hint of things to come...

20200216-18-Death_Valley (109 of 157)
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

My alternates are from other times I managed to get away and travel. This is an infrared film photo from Great Basin National Park:

20200715-Great_Basin-RSS6x12F-Rollei_IR-HC (2 of 5)

Or my final thought was this portrait of my wife. The photo is nothing special as a portrait (background, pose, etc). But I nailed the focus with my 4x5 camera (wide open at a massive f8!), and I love the tones and the general feel of the photo. Two of our lockdown activities - although this print is now on my office wall, but the knitted blanket is yet to be finished...

20200727-Katrina_High_Res (1 of 2)

Three lovely images. I couldn’t choose either.

I like the pose from your wife - it’s a documentary style photo, and it doesn’t look staged.

3 very nice shots.
I visited death valley in 2006 on a trip from L.A. to Vegas what a strange and stunning place. It's was 125F when we were there and the park ranger said it gets hotter!

Showcase - Wow, that sky in the first shot. And yet, the shot of your wife is equally as good it a completely different way :)
Abstract - Oh, stone - I thought it was a flapjack or something similar.

Great sky and the ground is incredible never noticed the person the first time I looked can't work out what the smaller black object is

Its a lovely portrait of the wife too

Three lovely images. I couldn’t choose either.

I like the pose from your wife - it’s a documentary style photo, and it doesn’t look staged.
Thanks Bebop.
3 very nice shots.
I visited death valley in 2006 on a trip from L.A. to Vegas what a strange and stunning place. It's was 125F when we were there and the park ranger said it gets hotter!
Oh yes it does! Much!
Showcase - Wow, that sky in the first shot. And yet, the shot of your wife is equally as good it a completely different way :)
Abstract - Oh, stone - I thought it was a flapjack or something similar.
Thanks Tim - this is Badwater Basin - the ground is also dried out salt crystals
Great sky and the ground is incredible never noticed the person the first time I looked can't work out what the smaller black object is

Its a lovely portrait of the wife too
Thanks Allan - it was two people, getting lots of photos of each other. At first I was irritated with them being in "my" shot, before I realised that they were perfect for setting to give the scale of the place

Abstract: I like the angle and the lighting. I too puzzled over it for a while and flapjack was a contender:
Showcase: Beautiful! great colours and the two distant figures add to the shot. Lovely portrait too Alex.

Thanks all - whilst I would truly love this to be flapjack (one of the many good foods we can't get here)
That was my thought TBH ..
Why not make your own? I do and if I can anyone can (y)

#1 death valley for me (y)

Abstract
I like that, the light and shade shows the textures off.

Showcase
What a lovely sunset. Great colours and light.

Last edited:
Abstract: I like the angle and the lighting. I too puzzled over it for a while and flapjack was a contender:
Showcase: Beautiful! great colours and the two distant figures add to the shot. Lovely portrait too Alex.
Thanks - I really enjoyed that sunset!
That was my thought TBH ..
Why not make your own? I do and if I can anyone can (y)

#1 death valley for me (y)
Thanks Chris - time mostly... And also I'd then have to eat them..! And whilst I'd enjoy the eating, the extra running to work them off, not so much!
Abstract
I like that, the light and shade shows the textures off.

Showcase
What a lovely sunset. Great colours and light.
Many thanks!

Made it!

I was part of a webinar on large format macro recently, and decided to experiment with some of what I learnt. Two ceramic reindeer - not quite at 1:1, but with my bellow at about 135mm (if I remember what I applied for the correction...) it would have been about three-quarter scale or thereabouts...

A bit of burning in the blacks (velvet) in PS - I need to experiment more to get these darker (or rather brighter!) on the negative.

I was tempted to "hand colour" the noses, but resisted!

20201224-Close_Ups_Experiments_FP4_SPULF (2 of 2)-Edit

Taken with a Intrepid Mk4, Schneider Kreuznach 90mm on FP4+ and developed in Stearman Press Ultra for Large Format.

Nice decs - as for the red noses... DO IT DO IT! :)

I really like this shot. It's almost a negative of how you'd expect live reindeer to be - dark against white snow.
Nicely lit and captured.

Nice cahratcers, they look quite cheeky! Really well lit too. Merry Christmas and good job to get to the end.

I like this a lot Alex - a lovely finish to the year and I have to say, there have been some great pics in your 52.

A nice finish Alex(y)
As for the red noses, the black ones seem to sum up the ( not quite so ) festive season this year.

I really like this shot. It's almost a negative of how you'd expect live reindeer to be - dark against white snow.
Nicely lit and captured.
Nice cahratcers, they look quite cheeky! Really well lit too. Merry Christmas and good job to get to the end.
Thank you - the lighting was provided by my A4 lightpad just out of shot - I quite like this set up for close ups as the lighting is (comparatively) huge, so gives a lovely soft light.
Awesome sky in the death valley shot. The portrait I think is great, it just works for me.
Liking the reindeer for decoration, nicely processed and I like the b+w.

Well done on completing.
OH Deer :D
What a nice little image to finish on.
I like this a lot Alex - a lovely finish to the year and I have to say, there have been some great pics in your 52.
Thank you very much - I've really enjoyed it, and it's definitely been good to push me a little :)
I'm with Dave on this... Lets see some red noses :)
Nice decs - as for the red noses... DO IT DO IT! :)
A nice finish Alex(y)
As for the red noses, the black ones seem to sum up the ( not quite so ) festive season this year.

Sorry Chris - you're outvoted...

20201224-Close_Ups_Experiments_FP4_SPULF (2 of 2)-Edit2

Prefer it without the red noses to be honest and besides only one should have a red nose surely.

Nice finish to your 52 though and have enjoyed looking in every week.

Have a good new year (y)

Back