Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Fab budgie pic!

hard - a shoe horn yes, but also an excellent photo!
creatures - poor worms, but great shot, very sharp!

Hard - I agree with the comments about it being a great piece of art and cool that it has remained in place (pretty sure the one at the tower has been removed). Nicely caught. Not too many peopel in the shot.

Creature - The colours are all a bit samey, not that there was much you could do about that. Excellent to catch the 'catch' as an action shot :)

Hard - I agree with the comments about it being a great piece of art and cool that it has remained in place (pretty sure the one at the tower has been removed). Nicely caught. Not too many peopel in the shot.

Creature - The colours are all a bit samey, not that there was much you could do about that. Excellent to catch the 'catch' as an action shot :)
Thanks Tim, they are the poppies from the Tower, they are doing a tour of the country, only at Carlisle for a few months.
The male blackbird would have been better colour-wise but he wasn't around when I had the camera out.

Hi Chris

Creatures, focus dead on the eye and plenty of details in the feathers. .

Pete

Hard
So much work must go into making those poppies. You've captured them well.

Creatures
Bird=creature, worms=creatures, you've nailed the theme well.

So on to synthetic, I've never tried shooting soap bubbles and they sort of have a synthetic quality to them so here we are. It was harder than I thought and the shot I wanted, which the second below is closest to, a person in the background with bubbles in the foreground proved impossible because the slight breeze kept changing direction so getting the light and my daughter in the right place at the right time just didn't happen.

Synthetic1 by TheWub, on Flickr

Synthetic2 by TheWub, on Flickr

You've been having fun with bubbles there Chris :D Call it work progress.

Bottom of #2 with bubble in focus with reflection of houses, and OOF bubble behind is interesting but needs enlarging. o_O

#1 ... didn't know it was a bubble at first!

It is very frustrating to capture bubbles, either one works the idea to get someone in the BG was good pity about the breeze

You've been having fun with bubbles there Chris :D Call it work progress.

Bottom of #2 with bubble in focus with reflection of houses, and OOF bubble behind is interesting but needs enlarging. o_O

#1 ... didn't know it was a bubble at first!

It is very frustrating to capture bubbles, either one works the idea to get someone in the BG was good pity about the breeze

Thanks both, definitely a work in progress (or actually on the back burner until we get another suitable theme and a still day, sometime never :) )

Music - nicely done for the theme
Hard - I never got to see the full display in London but loved the whole idea behind it, I wasnt aware they relocated it
Creature - Mrs BB with a mouthfull of creatures, lovely

#1 works better for me than #2, but appreciate what you were aiming for and I too haven't tried that sort of shot, but can appreciate how frustrating it must be having a vision, but not managing to achieve it.
If you had just posted #1, it would have been a really good shot by itself.

Ive always fancied the bubble thing, but never yet tried it..although I always thought it could waaay harder than you woukd think....

Music - nicely done for the theme
Hard - I never got to see the full display in London but loved the whole idea behind it, I wasnt aware they relocated it
Creature - Mrs BB with a mouthfull of creatures, lovely

#1 works better for me than #2, but appreciate what you were aiming for and I too haven't tried that sort of shot, but can appreciate how frustrating it must be having a vision, but not managing to achieve it.
If you had just posted #1, it would have been a really good shot by itself.

Thanks both

Hi Chris,

Match - Maybe not a perfect match but they are very cute.
Music - Very nice, lovely warm colours
Hard - Maybe a bit of a shoehorn but a lovely shot. For me it would have been nice to have no people or fences but it doesn't look like you could do anything about that
Creatures - Lovely shot, she certainly has a mouthful
Synthetic - Shame you couldn't get more of your daughter in the bg though then the bubbles might not stand out so well. I like the reflection in the first one too

:D

Creature - Lovely sharp image. The bird really stands out even though all the colours are very close.

Synthetic - Like the bubbles. It's very hard to get the right shot when you are battling the elements sometimes. The wind can be a pain.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Match - Maybe not a perfect match but they are very cute.
Music - Very nice, lovely warm colours
Hard - Maybe a bit of a shoehorn but a lovely shot. For me it would have been nice to have no people or fences but it doesn't look like you could do anything about that
Creatures - Lovely shot, she certainly has a mouthful
Synthetic - Shame you couldn't get more of your daughter in the bg though then the bubbles might not stand out so well. I like the reflection in the first one too

:D

Creature - Lovely sharp image. The bird really stands out even though all the colours are very close.

Synthetic - Like the bubbles. It's very hard to get the right shot when you are battling the elements sometimes. The wind can be a pain.

Thanks both

Great try with the bubbles there Chris, something I love trying to do when I have the time. It's not easy. I do think the 1st one just takes top spot for me. Keep trying!
Thanks Michael, you've got some lovely bubble shots, I need to practice more (y)

A bit of a catch-up from me, Chris:

Match - they may not be identical but they're very alike and they're very cute, so who's complaining? :) They look as though they were posing for you.
Music - lovely tones and and textures, and spot on for this theme.
Hard - whether it's a shoehorn or not, it's a lovely image of a thought-provoking display, and no doubt very moving to see.
Creatures - aha, great minds....! Yours had a much bigger catch than mine, though :)
Synthetic - good idea and you've captured some lovely colours and reflections. I have only tried this once and you've reminded me how elusive they can be, so I think you've done a good job (y)

Pretty well photographed and rather amusing. Makes me quite fancy a go -- where are my tools? :)

Soon get the lawn don eon one of those! Great pic!

Pretty well photographed and rather amusing. Makes me quite fancy a go -- where are my tools? :)

Soon get the lawn don eon one of those! Great pic!

Thanks both, he was one of the slower ones TBH but one of the few that still had a resemblance to an old fashioned lawn mower.

Hi Chris

Synthectic, I perfer the 2nd Image, but I can see how difficult it would have been. Good attempt.

Rural, A good fun picture, plenty of action, I like the flying debris. Maybe a closer crop?

Good panning (y) ... but :agree: ... closer crop ... I'd remove the top half of the picture. :)

What a crazy pursuit nice bit of panning, not sure I would crop it though you need a bit of context

That's a good, fun image, Chris, and some nice panning too. I've never seen it but it looks as thought they take it seriously and I bet they're all tweaked and tuned, too :)

I like that Chris, a fun shot indeed. Nice colour, and looking good with panning

Hi Chris

Synthectic, I perfer the 2nd Image, but I can see how difficult it would have been. Good attempt.

Rural, A good fun picture, plenty of action, I like the flying debris. Maybe a closer crop?

Good panning (y) ... but :agree: ... closer crop ... I'd remove the top half of the picture. :)

What a crazy pursuit nice bit of panning, not sure I would crop it though you need a bit of context

Thanks all, Allan is the winner :D It is already cropped to 16:9 and cropped width ways so I am (unsurprisingly) happy with that crop. I know what you are getting at but the theme is rural and for me the context is part of the story.

Gotta love a bit of lawnmower racing. Your panning seems to have worked well enough :) Space for him to drive into and enough carp being kicked up to show movement. (y)
Thanks Tim, it was good that it was dry to get a bit of dust kicking up

Rural

Nicely caught. There doesn't seem to be much grass to mow there.

Back