weekly Sparrow's 52, 2016 -Week 38 and 39 metal reshoot and big added

Hi Liz.
Great shot for Abandoned and one of the few not in B&W :) (y) on getting the important verticals vertical too.
Camouflage - Nicely on theme and well lit. Well done for not getting any blown highlights on the coins, the square crop works well for this one.

Thanks Tim, I took quote a few shots of the coins and some did indeed have blown highlights. I was fortunate in having a few that turned out well, I am not sure what mede the difference.

Abandoned - Having originally thought I'd have tried to clone out the white house, I like the revisited photo best.
Camouflage - Good idea and a nicely detailed shot.
Thanks Nick for kind comments and for taking a second look at 'abandoned'. I must admit I like the revisited one best - can't think now why I didn't post that one in the first place:banghead:

Slightly under exposed, maybe, but I like the chaotic nature of the photograph.

Hi Andy, Thanks for taking a look and also thanks for comments- really helpful. I did play about with the tone a little to darken the background which perhaps makes it look a little under exposed - lots to learn:)

Last edited:
Liz, good idea for the theme and well executed. well and truly camouflaged

Yes, I like all the diverging lines and angles too. Looks a powerful set-up. Yay for the blue sky. :)

Hi Liz... Camouflage is smart. I like the fact you can see slight colour in some of the coins (just from the lighting, I'm guessing) as it kept me looking to see if there was a copper coin hidden somewhere. Nope, the camouflaged item is right in the middle! Hidden in plain sight, almost. Light and capture work well, although the composition being vertical is (my pet phrase at the moment, it seems) a bit flat. Not a problem per se, but it limits what you can do with the shot in terms of adding further interest - DOF, perspective etc. It's a good shot though, well taken and perfectly on theme.

Dangerous is similarly perfect for the theme. Lovely blue sky behind, but that does unfortunately mean we're lacking quite a bit of shadow detail. If you could lift these - either artificially or by shooting with the sun behind you, I think it'd be slightly stronger? But a good capture and lucky you for having some blue sky!

Simple and spot on Liz.
Does it fizz in the rain?

A simple shot but so much detail, well emphasised with the blue sky? Great interpretation of the theme.

Hi Liz, a quick catch up from me as you've posted three themes since my last visit. Your image for Abandoned makes an immediate impact because of the strong colours of the brick and the rust, I noticed the new building in the top left corner and although some have found it distracting, I think it's an interesting contrast to the old building and makes you wonder why it is so neglected. The old building also offers some great potential for close-ups and could be useful for future themes :)

Camouflage is nicely done, both in terms of the subject choice and the exposure. It takes a good look to spot the interloper among the coins because of your good choice of subjects, and you've exposed perfectly to retain details in the bright areas. Finally, Dangerous is a great choice for the theme and there are lots of interesting details and lines there against the lovely blue sky (y)

Super sharp shot Liz, looks great on Flickr and that sky is gorgeous.....perfect for the topic too

Great shot, I really like the lines and the detail of it all :clap:

Yes, I like all the diverging lines and angles too. Looks a powerful set-up. Yay for the blue sky. :)

Good shout, I was thinking of something similar. I do think it needs a little ccw rotation and tweak of the levels to bring out the shadows a bit though

Thanks everyone for taking a look and kind comments. It was a cold but beautiful afternoon but of course it didn't last, back to grey skies and rain today.
Thanks for the advice Chris, I shall have a go at tweaking it as you suggest:)

Hi Liz... Camouflage is smart. I like the fact you can see slight colour in some of the coins (just from the lighting, I'm guessing) as it kept me looking to see if there was a copper coin hidden somewhere. Nope, the camouflaged item is right in the middle! Hidden in plain sight, almost. Light and capture work well, although the composition being vertical is (my pet phrase at the moment, it seems) a bit flat. Not a problem per se, but it limits what you can do with the shot in terms of adding further interest - DOF, perspective etc. It's a good shot though, well taken and perfectly on theme.

Dangerous is similarly perfect for the theme. Lovely blue sky behind, but that does unfortunately mean we're lacking quite a bit of shadow detail. If you could lift these - either artificially or by shooting with the sun behind you, I think it'd be slightly stronger? But a good capture and lucky you for having some blue sky!

Thank you very much Paul for your kind comments and for taking the time to write such a very helpful reply, it really is very much appreciated and I shall see if I can improve 'dangerous' as you suggest in Elements.
It was a beautiful afternoon, but back to grey skies and rain now.

Hi Liz, a quick catch up from me as you've posted three themes since my last visit. Your image for Abandoned makes an immediate impact because of the strong colours of the brick and the rust, I noticed the new building in the top left corner and although some have found it distracting, I think it's an interesting contrast to the old building and makes you wonder why it is so neglected. The old building also offers some great potential for close-ups and could be useful for future themes :)

Camouflage is nicely done, both in terms of the subject choice and the exposure. It takes a good look to spot the interloper among the coins because of your good choice of subjects, and you've exposed perfectly to retain details in the bright areas. Finally, Dangerous is a great choice for the theme and there are lots of interesting details and lines there against the lovely blue sky (y)

Hi Andrea, Thank you very much taking the time to look and comment on all three photographs, it is much appreciated. Liz:)

Danger(ous). perfect for the theme, good PoV and nice and sharp.

Dangerous it certainly is. Lovely and sharp and the blue sky really sets it off. Would't have been the same on a dull day. I'd only suggest a very small straighten on the main pole as it seems to be leaning ever so slightly to the right.

Dangerous it certainly is. Lovely and sharp and the blue sky really sets it off. Would't have been the same on a dull day. I'd only suggest a very small straighten on the main pole as it seems to be leaning ever so slightly to the right.

Thanks for kind comments and thanks for observation about small lean to the right I am going to try and sort out a few issues in Elements when time permits so will have a look at it then:). Liz

Hi Liz :)

Sorry I seem to have missed a few of yours, so a quick catch up

Miniature - I actually prefer the portrait shot myself, a nicely lit shot with loads of detail

Camouflage - Loads of coins, they hide the intruder nicely, a nice shine to the coins and a good colour background too :)

Dangerous - Nice Angle, and stands out really well against that blue sky, again good detail (y)

Dangerous nice shot on theme lots of triangles and line in the shot well spotted and a great sky to back it up. (y)

Abandoned - both good shots I like the strong colours definitely has an abandoned feel.
Camouflage - plenty of detail on the coins and I didn't spot it straight away so spot on.
Danger - spot on theme good sharp detail

Sorry I seem to have missed a few of yours, so a quick catch up

Abandoned - both good shots I like the strong colours definitely has an abandoned feel.
Camouflage - plenty of detail on the coins and I didn't spot it straight away so spot on.
Danger - spot on theme good sharp detail

Dangerous nice shot on theme lots of triangles and line in the shot well spotted and a great sky to back it up. (y)

Thanks everyone for taking a look and for kind comments, much appreciated. Liz:)

Week 8 Topical
The news has moved on since I had ideas for 'topical' so I'm afraid some of my news is 'old news' now, but here goes:)

Here is a colour version

Topical by BlueLizzy, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's covered quite a bit of ground Liz - all very topical. Quite like the combination as it engages with the viewers mind in making the conversion from representations to real life - a nice quiz-like image. Difficult choice but think the colour edges it for me. :clap:

That's covered quite a bit of ground Liz - all very topical. Quite like the combination as it engages with the viewers mind in making the conversion from representations to real life - a nice quiz-like image. Difficult choice but think the colour edges it for me. :clap:

Thanks Carl :)

Great montage. have scrolled up and down for a minute or so over both versions. Colour version is definitely punchier but for me the black and white gets the edge as it is more subtle and not overpowering, but then again to keep things topical they need to attract attention. :thinking:

Great idea. This could be a round off Have I Got News For You.

The colour version for me to some really nice colours in there. Very topical on several subjects to really creative (y)

Back