weekly sr1867 ~ 52 ~ 2015

Also thank you to those who have both visited and commented so far (y)

I like the fragile thread, would perhaps liked it more if the background had been solid black but great concept though.

Yes the rope works for me as an idea better than the fun image number 2.
Pretty hard this 52 thingy. Really gets into your head. I get an idea in my head and just can't get rid of it until I realise it's pants :)

Gaz

Hiya Simon, some great images there. Your fragile tape-wrapping reminds me of someone's practice shot for last year (Odd, I think) - was it @posiview who wrapped clingfilm around his face? (children out there: don't try that at home!)

A very witty take anyway.

But, my favourite is your first shot. Compositionally, it's spot on for me - perhaps a tiny bit more space on the right and slightly less light on the bottom of the rope which looks a touch overexposed as a result, but I love the light cast on the background, which really balance the shot for me.

A super take on the theme and a well executed photo... good job, Simon!

Like the hanging by a single thread interpretation. Sums up the fragility of existence in a nutshell. Did you try the concept with a solid black background as well? Just thinking of the starkness of the single thread hanging against a total black backdrop of 'nothingness'.

Hi Simon.......made it here finally ! Welcome back & look forward to seeing you at week 52 this year (y)

Patterns......love the in your face Blue & for a phone shot it's it not half bad....wonder if a slightly different angle would have made more of the the available patterns ?

Bliss.....original shot....I like close-up shots as they show the detail so well & I love the lighting on this one, almost like they are scared & hiding from something...one trying not to scream, one not looking at the horror in front of him & one not listening to the creaking floorboards :clap: That said the edit also works well....lots of negative space jst adds to the scary feeling...really like both shots :clap:

Fragile.....yup , works for me.....zoomed in close on flickr shows it's really sharp on all the threads & quite like the lighting...agree with PJM's comments on lighting as I know nothing (y)

Yup, that says fragile. A tad underwhelming when first views via the app, but really comes alive viewed large. The detail & sharpness make it.

Hi and good on you for #2. I recall doing something similar myself last year. Damn painful taking the tape of, though :)

The second #2 works for me, a little sinister.

Cheers.

The string for Fragile is very well thought out. Hats off to you. The string is nicely lit but I think the background would pay to be a bit darker in the lighter area. For me personally, I think it is a bit too far to the edge of the shot too.
Like the alternative image - good fun :) How long did it take to get the tape off?

Bliss. Looks way better with all that space :) Well done. Keep up the good work.

Gaz

Nice idea with the string but I do like the selfie. I bet that tape hurt when you took it off LOL

Hurt like hell which is the only reason I used them as i was not going through pain and not using them.
Quote from wife after getting in from work " Why is there a load of fragile tape in the bin. Have you been taking stupid photos again please tell me you didn't tape the dog up!"

Thanks again to all who are taking the time to visit and comment.
I'm spending so much time keeping up with commenting other threads I keep forgetting my own thread.

Right post and be dammed time I need to get some images in to avoid falling behind like last year and work will take me away from home after today till Friday.

not a massive fan of scenic/landscapes and want to try not to do any archive shots as my main shot so here goes

Week 03 ~ Scenic by sr_1867, on Flickr

And for Companions week wanted to try and capture something slightly different

Week 04 ~ Companions by sr_1867, on Flickr

And a couple of archive pics for companions because I like them.

Week 04 ~ Companions ALT by sr_1867, on Flickr

Before After
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Nice companion photos fella. Winner would definatly be the left part of before and after lots of cuteness/emotion there.

Gaz

Catching up Simon :)

I quite like the idea of the string thread to depict fragile,
its almost as if life is hanging by a thread.

And of the companions I prefer the dog's head resting on the toy,
both protecting it and using it as a comforter.

Scenic - love a snow image and this is certainly one of them - like it

Companions - as said prefer the one with toy although the link between an owner and his dog is nicely portrayed

Hi Si :)

Bit of a catch up from me...

Bliss - What a great little ornament, sorry to say but I do prefer the edit with the large black background, still a well lit shot and good blacks :)

Fragile - Ha Haaaa I have to go with the Fragile tape no:2 for me, the rope is well lit but the background is a tad distracting, both nice ideas

Scenic - The snowy woodland for me is a very wintery shot, WB looks good, dismal grey sky minimal colour, works fine

Companions - Loads to choose from but for me the second shot looks the least staged and a bit of an Ahhhhhhhhh shot, again all well lit and ticking the theme box again (y)

Hi Simon ....Fragile ....eeek that really must have hurt to take that tape off ...the things we do for this thread. I actually think the string one is more effective :D

Scenic ...snow and winter ...what more could you want :)

Companions ...they are all smashing images so its hard to choose, but I do like your first shot with the hand and the paw because it's something different ....well done for thinking of that composition and for keeping up with the themes..

Hi Si :)

Scenic - The snowy woodland for me is a very wintery shot, WB looks good, dismal grey sky minimal colour, works fine

Scenic - I love a good old winter snow shot, I like its a nice image.

Companions - some good images to choose from, I think I prefer the image with the dog and his toy.

Thanks. Your right about minimal colour DK that picture is actually converted to mono but very little difference to the original.
As for the scene itself who said the camera never lies its not quite as scenic as i appears to be. ;)

Hi Simon ....Fragile ....eeek that really must have hurt to take that tape off ...the things we do for this thread. I actually think the string one is more effective :D

Scenic ...snow and winter ...what more could you want :)

Companions ...they are all smashing images so its hard to choose, but I do like your first shot with the hand and the paw because it's something different ....well done for thinking of that composition and for keeping up with the themes..

Thank you susie. Yes the tape one was not the cleverest idea i have ever had. Glad you like the companions idea I think sometimes I do get hung up on the idea more than the actual picture.

Hi Simon,

Scenic - a nice shot and very scenic!

Companions - I have to agree with the others, it's the one with the dog nd the tou for me :)

Hey Simon.... Like your scenic shot, lovely and wintry

Really like the sentiment behind your first companions shot but nothing can beat the pure cuteness of a dog loved up with their cuddly toy! Great shot [emoji5]️

Last edited:
And for the record the Guinness shot took 2 cans to complete.
There is only 1 can remaining in the fridge and it would be bad manners to leave it there all alone so I will be drinking that now.
Sorry if my comments this afternoon make no sense. :beer:

Elegant
Like the Guinness idea.
#1 Glass doesnt look very clean, could be due to the cold Guinness
#2 Glass not clean and you have clipped the edge of the can when paining in the BG
#3 Is my favorite, but looks like you have used the curves tool to get the BG darker and have missed a few spots.

Watery
Nice idea for the theme, i like the crop.
But the melon looks a little blown out on the RHS.

Elegant....the statuette is my pick simply because for me a wine glass and Guinness just isn't gelling.

Watery....perfect interpretation :)

Elegant
Like the Guinness idea.
#1 Glass doesnt look very clean, could be due to the cold Guinness
#2 Glass not clean and you have clipped the edge of the can when paining in the BG
#3 Is my favorite, but looks like you have used the curves tool to get the BG darker and have missed a few spots.

Watery
Nice idea for the theme, i like the crop.
But the melon looks a little blown out on the RHS.

Cheers Darren all correct I had a nightmare with the glass, can and background so I gave up and you got the best of a very large bad bunch.
And the melon shot was done with the sun through the window trying to get the opaque look through the mellon.

Elegant, The 1st Guinness image is the best of the 3 them IMO.

Watery, a clever take on the theme, it fits well (y)

Hi Simon,

elegant - it was a difficult theme wasn't it? I thnk #3's the best - I just can't connect Guinness to elegance.

Watery - great fit to the theme and very well composed

Elegant, The 1st Guinness image is the best of the 3 them IMO.

Watery, a clever take on the theme, it fits well (y)
Hi Simon ....love your idea for elegant ...very unique :)

The melon looks delicious ...nice and fresh and juicy, excellent choice for the theme.

Many thanks for your kind comments as always

Hi Simon,

elegant - it was a difficult theme wasn't it? I thnk #3's the best - I just can't connect Guinness to elegance.

Watery - great fit to the theme and very well composed

Thanks for your thoughts and kind comments Lorraine.
Re elegant it was tough (as have most weeks) so I went out of the box a bit and thought its elegant to drink Guinness from a crystal wine glass. Suppose the Guinness is not relevant really it could have been tea or coffee but I prefer Guinness.

Back