weekly Tango 32's 2014 52 challenge Week 39 -44 added

at a time when these type of dogs are in the news for the wrong reasons you have produced a really nice image... although as Mandy has said the fact that its nose disappears into the background is a tad off putting... nice catchlight in her eyes...

Nice enough image of the dog, but (as with mine of a cat) it needs a little more definition in the darker area by the end of his/hers snout

Week 8 The Ending of Life

when I seen the theme I thought o s*** another real tough one but after a while an idea started form involving the one wifes collection, I wanted to get feeling the doorway to the other side was in space so another trip to the range for glittery back round card and I set up my picture again I struggled to get enough light in with out a flash gun ( on camera flash just lit up the backround too much) so set the camera to bulb mode and tried to light it with the iphone problem was a bit too much light over spill on the front so a tight crop was needed :(

The ending of life 52 by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes I understand your thoughts with the crop. I wonder if you could have brought the ornament to the very edge of the surface and have the background literally fall away at the front then you could have had the whole thing without the shiny bit at the front. That said, I rather like this picture and I think you've done a good job with it, cropped or not.

PS I love the ornament itself too.

Well I'm not sure about what the ornament depicts, but I think the issue with it is a lack of depth in the photo. I wonder if a closer side on view would have worked. Considering the lighting situation I think you did a decent job, but if it were me I would try it again with some natural light on it

Sense: A beautiful shot of your Princess:) The composition with her head turned to the side is perfect. Would really like to see the eye sharper is my only crit. You've handled the background well too in PP.

Ending: Definitely number too Craig. The first crop is too tight. Prefer the sencond with the reflections in. I like your creative thinking and use of background to execute your vision - Its good to see you're planning and thinking about what you want too achive. Love the ornament too, right up my street that is, but unfortunately looks a little soft for me. Have you tried to apply in sharpening in PS?

Hi Craig

that's a lovely looking pooch ,those eye's are amazing ! & you have it sharp , well positioned head & good whites :) Not sure how you would achieve better lighting round the end of her nose as sitting still is not something dog's are good at when you need them to be !

Ending ....like the idea of the sparkly card for a starry bg , the 2nd image works better for me but wonder of turning the ornament slightly would give a better impression of depth ? Well done on the lighting though, shiny objects can be a mare to light well :)

Sense - nice shot of your dog. She looks as if she needs a lot of exercise!

Ending - like the first shot of the object, as I think the light's better. What a strange thing to have around!

2nd one works better but not really sure about the composition a lot more empty space around it maybe :thinking:

Sense – A lovely portrait of a dog. You’ve caught those stunning eyes really well. I would maybe suggest some back lighting or a reflector (I don’t think it needs much) just to bring out some separation between the subject and the background.

Ending -I certainly prefer the edit which more space around and the reflection adds a grounding to the subject. I'm not keen on the background but that is a personally preference and I can see what you were trying to achieve with it.

I prefer the 2nd image and I like the lighting, not sure about the composition though.

Sense: A beautiful shot of your Princess:) The composition with her head turned to the side is perfect. Would really like to see the eye sharper is my only crit. You've handled the background well too in PP.

Ending: Definitely number too Craig. The first crop is too tight. Prefer the sencond with the reflections in. I like your creative thinking and use of background to execute your vision - Its good to see you're planning and thinking about what you want too achive. Love the ornament too, right up my street that is, but unfortunately looks a little soft for me. Have you tried to apply in sharpening in PS?

I did mate but did not like the out come it changed the appearance completely

Yes I understand your thoughts with the crop. I wonder if you could have brought the ornament to the very edge of the surface and have the background literally fall away at the front then you could have had the whole thing without the shiny bit at the front. That said, I rather like this picture and I think you've done a good job with it, cropped or not.

PS I love the ornament itself too.

Thanks for the advice
Well I'm not sure about what the ornament depicts, but I think the issue with it is a lack of depth in the photo. I wonder if a closer side on view would have worked. Considering the lighting situation I think you did a decent job, but if it were me I would try it again with some natural light on it

The ornament is from the myth and magic collection " The Portal of Life" or deaths doors :)
2nd one works better but not really sure about the composition a lot more empty space around it maybe :thinking:

I did give it a go but it looked a bit lost in there so scrapped that but looking back maybe I should have kept it
Hi Craig,
I like #2 best not sure that i like the ornament but nice shot, fits the theme:)

Thanks Judi :)
Got to agree i'm afraid :)

yeah im with you there
I much prefer the second one ...I like the reflection, the image fits the theme well and the background complements your theme perfectly.

Sense – A lovely portrait of a dog. You’ve caught those stunning eyes really well. I would maybe suggest some back lighting or a reflector (I don’t think it needs much) just to bring out some separation between the subject and the background.

Ending -I certainly prefer the edit which more space around and the reflection adds a grounding to the subject. I'm not keen on the background but that is a personally preference and I can see what you were trying to achieve with it.

Thanks Peter - a flash is next on the shopping list hopefully that will help
Hi Craig :)

The second shot looks much better and more detailed when viewed large, it's a good idea and you have done ok with the lighting, not an easy task (y)

Thanks DK have I beaten lasts years attempt yet? :)
I prefer the 2nd image and I like the lighting, not sure about the composition though.

Yeah been mentioned a bit I
Hi Craig

that's a lovely looking pooch ,those eye's are amazing ! & you have it sharp , well positioned head & good whites :) Not sure how you would achieve better lighting round the end of her nose as sitting still is not something dog's are good at when you need them to be !

Ending ....like the idea of the sparkly card for a starry bg , the 2nd image works better for me but wonder of turning the ornament slightly would give a better impression of depth ? Well done on the lighting though, shiny objects can be a mare to light well :)

need a bit of work on composition

Thanks Blondie I trying :)
2nd image defiantly better but need more depth. also needs to be slight;y more Left to be central. I see what you were trying to do with the BG but personally not a fan.

thanks for your comments and advice
Yup, well planned and I do like the detail in the edit.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Hi, I've said the same thing about themes too
out of the 3 the first is more interesting though I don't get the connection with the mannequin :thinking:
the other 2, I used a red object in my pic but found I had to desaturate the pic a little as the red was too red

At least you have something in and can forget about it till Friday (y)

I have to agree some of the themes so far have been headache inducing. I prefer your first image with the wooden man, the composition is clean and works well and for me it fits the theme. With you using the positive jump lead clip and the fact it's attached to the little chaps arm for me it's making a " positive " connection.

'Feeling positive', yep, I get the connection in the first, good find for a pound! :D Composition wise, I would have liked to see the whole mannequin, (unless its no feet and that's why it was a pound :whistle:) Also, all three seem a little noisy and the details lost in the colour on the last, did you use a tripod?

.....:thinking:......had a look at them on flickr and they don't look that bad. :confused:

As for this weeks image - I too have to go with the first pic with the mannequin, I too feel the link could have been a bit better, like strapping the clip to his hand as if he was about to clip it to an object, rather than himself :D

Image in... move onwards and upwards (y)

As for this weeks image - I too have to go with the first pic with the mannequin, I too feel the link could have been a bit better, like strapping the clip to his hand as if he was about to clip it to an object, rather than himself :D

Image in... move onwards and upwards (y)

I'd agree and whiter BG.

Sometimes the themes just don's inspire us.

Keep moving (y)

Cheers.

The mannequin shot for me also. A slightly wider shot and whiter BG also would clone out the mannequins support pole.

It's definitly not easy to get inspiration when we don't feel inspired by the theme.

Anyway soon be Friday :)

Hi, I've said the same thing about themes too
out of the 3 the first is more interesting though I don't get the connection with the mannequin :thinking:
the other 2, I used a red object in my pic but found I had to desaturate the pic a little as the red was too red

At least you have something in and can forget about it till Friday (y)

hand + positive = "feeling positive" well that was the aim maybe a little crowbar was needed :)
I have to agree some of the themes so far have been headache inducing. I prefer your first image with the wooden man, the composition is clean and works well and for me it fits the theme. With you using the positive jump lead clip and the fact it's attached to the little chaps arm for me it's making a " positive " connection.

Thanks Mandy
Well done for coming up with something different. These themes seem to be getting harder.

cheers buddy
Like the first image but would prefer the whole mannequin.

yep tend to agree
Ermmmm well, you have certainly been regular this year :)

AND you are now level to where you were last year - you got to week nine before falling off the planet :D

tidy looking forward to this weeks :)
I prefer the mannequin pic...as said before...well done for thinking of something so original...it was a difficult theme !

I'd agree and whiter BG.

Sometimes the themes just don's inspire us.

Keep moving (y)

Cheers.

thanks Andy did use a white back round not sure what went wrong
The mannequin shot for me also. A slightly wider shot and whiter BG also would clone out the mannequins support pole.

It's definitly not easy to get inspiration when we don't feel inspired by the theme.

Anyway soon be Friday :)

clone out the pole why didn't I think of that :thinking: thanks
I like the little man best craig but the bg is just a bit grey on my screen :)

Thanks Judi I have to agree

Back