The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

That one works much better IMHO, Michael (y) With the fresh greenery on both sides of the track and an elevated viewpoint you can tell it's a country setting. Lovely smart engines, too!

Thanks again Andrea, it's not very often I see these 2, so it was worth the 20 minute walk from the station.

Michael

Nice rural background to your very colourful Train. I think it would be very difficult to crop out the platform as you need the track curling round to add interest and lead the eyes back into the picture. Having one or 2 people there would have been a better option to break up the expanse of the platform.

Prefer the 1st image myself as the second one does not suggest as much Rural to me.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I tried a crop and it didn't work. I wouldn't have minded a couple of people in view, they just weren't in the right place and made the scene look messy.

Ooooh trains! What's not to like? :banana::woot::banana:

Exactly, thanks for looking Dave!

The loco in the first is so clean and bright it could be a model and I quite like it for the theme, as you did I'd pick it over the second for the theme.

Thanks Chris, the background drew me to the scene.

Hi Michael,

Synthetic - I like the contrast of the blue and the pink, the use of diagonals and even the background.
Nothing to moan about from me :)

Rural - The second shot for me, single track through the countryside sells rural to me. I don't mind 67s, but the 60 is more pleasing on the eye imo. Where was this then?

I do like the 60's too, they have a certain character I think. This was at Butterly, Midland Railway Centre (also the site of the west shed, the home of duchess of sutherland)

I prefer your second shot for rural Michael, as much as I like the contrasting colours of the fields and the train I think it takes up too much of the shot. Good work though

I prefer the first image for the theme with the green fields and trees as rural background.

I prefer your second shot for rural Michael, as much as I like the contrasting colours of the fields and the train I think it takes up too much of the shot. Good work though

Thank you both.

Bright, couldn't quite make my mind up which image to use out of a fe candidates, but I settled on this one.

M34A0629 edit by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Bright
It took me a little while to work it out, but i got there in the end. I like the way the sun has rim lit each leaf, it's quite graphical really.

^^^ That. And I like it :)

Bright
It took me a little while to work it out, but i got there in the end. I like the way the sun has rim lit each leaf, it's quite graphical really.

^^^ That. And I like it :)

Oh, I see now. Very clever. Interesting editing. I like it, it's not run of the mill :)

Thanks all, mission completed with that one.

Now onto Elegant, I am going for a capture of the Flying Scotsman from yesterday for this, and I like both of these pictures as much as the other, the closer version perhaps just edging it a bit. The diesel loco, 47580 in Union Jack livery is there doing most of the work due to line side fire risk.

M34A0820 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

M34A0828 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I did try cloning out the wires and light but couldn't find an area to clone which matched and lloked totally different so had to leave them in.

I prefer the first shot too, I think the sign on the left and the building on the right add something to the shot

#1 for me Michael. Due to having space for the flying moneypit to travel into. Also, the Brush4 isn't quite so obvious.
Looking at the reflections, you're on the end of a platform somewhere?

Thanks Tim, I am definitely preferring number 1 now I have looked at it a bit more. I was at the very end of the platform here, got there within plenty of time to make sure no one else took the spot! Good job too as the station was crawling with folk for some reason....:)

I prefer the first shot too, I think the sign on the left and the building on the right add something to the shot

Thanks Tilly, I am going for number 1 myself now.

Elegant
A shot somewhere in between the two would work better for me, so a tighter crop on one would do it.

Steam trains sure are elegant. Not one of my faves (HOW much?) but still nice to see :)

Two very nice loco shots Sir, composition wise I prefer #1, but impact etc (if that makes sense) I prefer #2.(y)

George.

Elegant
A shot somewhere in between the two would work better for me, so a tighter crop on one would do it.

Thanks Dominic, yep somewhere in-between would work, I have since photographed another loco, I shall post below

Steam trains sure are elegant. Not one of my faves (HOW much?) but still nice to see :)

Thanks for looking Dave, it was nice to see as there has hardly been any steam this way for ages, alternative below!

I like the loco details in #2. A bit more space on the right would help to balance the composition.

Hi Stan, in that position it's closer to the bridge wall and slightly before that is a car park bit and a big van was in view on this occasion

Two very nice loco shots Sir, composition wise I prefer #1, but impact etc (if that makes sense) I prefer #2.(y)

George.

Thanks for the kind words George, it does make sense, certainly more impact in #2.

#2 of the train shots for me. I like the disappearing trail to the train and the horizontal crop works nicely.

Thanks Ross, much appreciated.

Now, here is the alternative for elegant..in fact a replacement image, I really like this one.

This is 35018, British India Line, returned to full main line service earlier this year. Been wanting to see it ever since I knew it was being brought back and I got the chance on thursday to get it on The Scarborough Spa Express.

Scarborough Spa Steam Trip by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Derelict, A section remaining of Scarborough Castle.

M34A1032 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Great catch up Michael, loving the bright shot and think it`s a cracking shot with the sun shining through.
#2 Elegant shot for me and yes it is a very elegant train.
Derelict is another great shot, having the couple walking down while having the castle in the bg is great.

Thanks Dave, appreciate you looking in, it was the colours of the clothes that made me leave them in!

Much better shot for elegant bit of a classic train shot there

I do like the inclusion of the brightly coloured people in derelict though they do distract a little from the main subject

I like the second shot of the Flying Scotsman myself, though why is there a class 47(?) behind it?

I too find the brightly coloured people a bit distracting, good shot though.

Michael

Bright
Clever Idea, well executed.

Elegant
Flying Scotsman, nice. Like LC2 the second Image is too close, no space for the loco to go into. I feel the 1st one is a bit too far away, so the photo in between is the one.
3rd Image you need a bit more space in front of the loco, not much. Also was it parked as there is no movement showing.

Derelict
More of a ruin than derelict, but that is splitting hairs. Nice Image, maybe a bit more contrast would work.

Pete

Lovely to see the Flying Scotsman and I think my pick would have been the first one as it left room for the engine to move into and the surroundings set the scene, but i do prefer your third image overall. We get a greater sense of scale from your closer and lower viewpoint and we can see the lines of the lovely old loco (y)
Derelict certainly fits the theme very well and I like the colours and textures of the stone, the strong line from the path, and the two people add scale and extra interest.

I like the second shot of the Flying Scotsman myself, though why is there a class 47(?) behind it?

I too find the brightly coloured people a bit distracting, good shot though.

Hi Roger, the 47 was doing all the work due to lineside fire risk.

Michael

Bright
Clever Idea, well executed.

Elegant
Flying Scotsman, nice. Like LC2 the second Image is too close, no space for the loco to go into. I feel the 1st one is a bit too far away, so the photo in between is the one.
3rd Image you need a bit more space in front of the loco, not much. Also was it parked as there is no movement showing.

Derelict
More of a ruin than derelict, but that is splitting hairs. Nice Image, maybe a bit more contrast would work.

Pete

Thanks Pete, all the steam were moving, though British India Line was coming in slow for a stop I wasn't aware of. Such a bright day and 1/500th was used. SHame she wasn't allowed to be in full steam (diesel pushing from rear) then the movement would have shown a bit better. Tried many edits and this felt the best.

Lovely to see the Flying Scotsman and I think my pick would have been the first one as it left room for the engine to move into and the surroundings set the scene, but i do prefer your third image overall. We get a greater sense of scale from your closer and lower viewpoint and we can see the lines of the lovely old loco (y)
Derelict certainly fits the theme very well and I like the colours and textures of the stone, the strong line from the path, and the two people add scale and extra interest.

Hi Andrea, thanks for the comments, the 3rd loco shot is my favourite also.

Now onto home, I can't quite make my mind up. This is Dudmaston Hall, a National Trust Property but it is still lived in. THe light was so bright and harsh it proved to be a bit of a nightmare exposure wise. Looking at these 2, I like them both for different reasons.

#1, I liked the lower angle here as it seemed to emphasise the house more than it did in the following picture
Dudmaston by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

#2, but here I liked the 2 people looking at the house

Dudmaston by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
They look the same to me Michael I like the low angle but could do with the verticals correcting

They look the same to me Michael I like the low angle but could do with the verticals correcting

Thanks Allan for pointing that out, 2nd image replaced with the one I meant to put there! Have been using zoner photo for editing on a trial, I must look in to the vertical corrections in it, only found the straighten tool so far.

Hi Roger, the 47 was doing all the work due to lineside fire risk.

Thank you for the info, I never realised this was needed, just found out the Flying Scotsman is coming to Cornwall in October:banana: so I best start looking for some good spots for pictures!

Elegant, nice shot with the exposure handled well, I like the angle of shot and by including the steps with the weeds/plants it looks a bit more lived in to me.

Hi Michael,

Elegant - BIL is a lovely looking MN, especially in that green. I'm waiting on her putting in a visit down south. What I really want is for GSN to be finished, but that's many years off. Classic 3/4 shot, well executed. As has been previously commented, not much in the way of exhaust to indicate movement, but with this weather it's too be expected.

Derelict - Perhaps as much of a shoe horn as my Wall shot, I would see this more as ruined than derelict, with derelict being more of an uncared for state. Does the RH wall of the tower really lean like that, was it slighted by Cromwell perhaps, or is that in need to adjustment? I don't mind the people in the shot, they add a human interest element.

Home - #1 for me. The low angle adds interest to the shot.
Both could perhaps do with some perspective adjustment?

Second home for me, the low building on the right merging into the gate post detracts from the first for me which is a shame because it would have been a good shot if symmetrical I think

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I have been having a quick play with the perspective edits and here they are.

M34A1870 (1) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

M34A1863 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I had a go on the derelict shot, but it messed it up completely, it appears to be the angle I took it at, here is another which shows it is not really like that...

M34A1046 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr
Thank you for the info, I never realised this was needed, just found out the Flying Scotsman is coming to Cornwall in October:banana: so I best start looking for some good spots for pictures!

Elegant, nice shot with the exposure handled well, I like the angle of shot and by including the steps with the weeds/plants it looks a bit more lived in to me.

Hi Michael,

Elegant - BIL is a lovely looking MN, especially in that green. I'm waiting on her putting in a visit down south. What I really want is for GSN to be finished, but that's many years off. Classic 3/4 shot, well executed. As has been previously commented, not much in the way of exhaust to indicate movement, but with this weather it's too be expected.

Derelict - Perhaps as much of a shoe horn as my Wall shot, I would see this more as ruined than derelict, with derelict being more of an uncared for state. Does the RH wall of the tower really lean like that, was it slighted by Cromwell perhaps, or is that in need to adjustment? I don't mind the people in the shot, they add a human interest element.

Home - #1 for me. The low angle adds interest to the shot.
Both could perhaps do with some perspective adjustment?

Second home for me, the low building on the right merging into the gate post detracts from the first for me which is a shame because it would have been a good shot if symmetrical I think

Michael

On your edited shots, the 2nd still wins it for the theme from me, but try cropping out a load of the boring foreground grass.

I like the B&W derelict shot, the sky is a bit wissywashy with all those clouds. Back in the day when I did B&W film I used to use orange or red filters to darken the sky against the clouds. not sure if that works in photoshop etc.

Pete

I agree with this. The second shot for me is much nicer.

Thank you Ross.

Michael

On your edited shots, the 2nd still wins it for the theme from me, but try cropping out a load of the boring foreground grass.

I like the B&W derelict shot, the sky is a bit wissywashy with all those clouds. Back in the day when I did B&W film I used to use orange or red filters to darken the sky against the clouds. not sure if that works in photoshop etc.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I shall have to look in the software to see if there are any colour filters. The light was so bright that day, balancing exposure was really tricky, perhaps I should have a red filter in the bag, something I shall look into! I may well have one still lying around from my days gone by.

Round, This really annoys me, balloons tangled up in place they just shouldn't be. Maybe one day people might care that little bit more for what is around us and so necessary to survival. I used a cross process filter here and deliberately didn't try to do anything with the visible noise as I liked it in the image.

M34A2131 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Cook/ing. Bacon tonight gave me a bit of inspiration to shoot something for this weeks theme, I will admit to not really knowing what to do for it. Cropped slightly to a 4/3 ratio which for me gave a better composition.

52 week theme of cooking by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Cannot make up my mind whether I like the processing for round or not, but suits the theme and stray balloons bug me too!

Smack on theme, composition good, very well exposed with true colours, like the way the bacon itself leads you to the point of focus. You have made the texture of the pan really clear aswell.

I like the processing in round the lost balloon stands out as for food a bit less vignette but bang on theme

The light in the baloon is really good in round, those shiny ballons can be hard, good contrast against the bacground.

The cooking shot is very well lit with good depth of field and I don't mind the vignette. For me, and this is not really a comment on the photo, there could be a bit more colour in the bacon fat.

Michael

I quite like the processing in Round, It gives some texture to th ballon and dampens the shine somewhat against the dull dry out leaves of the tree.

For Cook, I just hope you are pnly party way through cooking that bacon. I think you should have tried a slightly bigger DOF or had all the bacon facing the same way. the bacon has some nice light on it.

Pete

Mmmmmmm Bacon! I can smell it :)

Cannot make up my mind whether I like the processing for round or not, but suits the theme and stray balloons bug me too!

Smack on theme, composition good, very well exposed with true colours, like the way the bacon itself leads you to the point of focus. You have made the texture of the pan really clear aswell.

Thanks Roger, appreciate the comments/

I like the processing in round the lost balloon stands out as for food a bit less vignette but bang on theme

Thanks Allan,

The light in the baloon is really good in round, those shiny ballons can be hard, good contrast against the bacground.

The cooking shot is very well lit with good depth of field and I don't mind the vignette. For me, and this is not really a comment on the photo, there could be a bit more colour in the bacon fat.

Thanks Chris, was pleased with the lighting on the bacon.

Michael

I quite like the processing in Round, It gives some texture to th ballon and dampens the shine somewhat against the dull dry out leaves of the tree.

For Cook, I just hope you are pnly party way through cooking that bacon. I think you should have tried a slightly bigger DOF or had all the bacon facing the same way. the bacon has some nice light on it.

Pete

Thanks Pete, i was part way through,I like it crispy! I shall consider having the bacon the same way if I try it again.

Mmmmmmm Bacon! I can smell it :)

:)

Back