The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

While we are on the subject, I normally start preparing the the pages around mid Nov.
I feel that subjects are getting harder and harder to find that are "relatively" easy.
Maybe its the crap subjects that I'm throwing at you all?
There is still a lot of unused themes in the theme list.
But I wonder how many are actually doable ?

This begs 2 questions
1) do you want the 52 to continue?
2) With the thought of injecting a bit of new life back into it, is there anyone out there that fancies a go at running it?
As the threads starter you'll be able to do most things, editing headers editing lists etc.
But I'll still be around for anything that is a "mod only" function...
Over to you all (y)

My two-penneth..
Personally, I don't think the subjects are particularly hard (or indeed crap) but I would imagine it's hard to come up with "new" subjects given you need 52 of them. I would be happy with some being repeated if it makes things easier. Often people post a variety of shots on one topic in their own threads and find it hard to decide which to use. The word "challenge" speaks for itself - I find this really helpful to: (1) get me out with the camera and take a picture at least once a week and (2) to make me actually think about what I'm going to take and where rather than just trot off to the usual locations/shots. Everything should be doable.. sometime it's just a little harder than others but that's the challenge :)

Given everything that is going on in the world a the moment I find the 52 a great distraction - and a relief from constant political comment! I certainly would sign up next year. That said, I have just resigned as Trustee Chair of a small charity to give myself more time for "me" stuff so I'm afraid I won't be signing up for the running of... especially as you do such a great job of maintaining a perfect balance of humour, fairness and camaraderie. What's not to like with the current setup??

Helen

I won't be signing up for the running of... especially as you do such a great job of maintaining a perfect balance of humour, fairness and camaraderie.
Nice try but I'm far too old for flattery to have any effect :D

Thanks for your input Helen its appreciated (y)

I concur, you do a great job @Cobra

I find this a fascinating discussion topic. I too have noticed I've received less comments and thought that it was likely related to me not commenting enough on other peoples - not sure if this is the case, or my rubbish photos. I don't go looking to check individual's threads each week - I'm not sure if others do, so it's a bit random who might get comments from me - I usually try and comment on a few on each visit here, and I'm sure I don't manage everybody each week.

I think the themes have been great, and for me joining the 52 has achieved the aim of making me get out with my camera each week, and often explore genre's that I wouldn't otherwise. It's been perfect during the pandemic to keep me thinking about something else.

When I did my last 52 in 2017, I felt overwhelmed with the task of commenting, both leaving comments and replying - it all took too much time. It was actually the need to do this that put me off doing it again in 2018, not the photography side of it - it was too much of a commitment.

This time it has been great. Perhaps I have more time, perhaps there are less people. The camaraderie's nice. To me it is not failing at all in it's purpose and I think @Cobra and @LC2 are doing a great job, so thank you....

I'm off to check a few threads now ha ha! :D

Last edited:
I don't go looking to check individual's threads each week - I'm not sure if others do,
I look at the "post your images here" thread and go from there.

and thought that it was likely related to me not commenting enough on other peoples -
I have noted over time, that some people never / barely / if ever comment on anyone else's images,
As per the guidelines you cant comment on them all ( nor should you feel obliged to) so at least reciprocate.

This time it has been great. Perhaps I have more time, perhaps there are less people. The camaraderie's nice. To me it is not failing at all in it's purpose and I think @Cobra and @LC2 are doing a great job, so thank you....
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bee, and of course the kind words :)

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie this year and am indeed guilty of playing catch up. I will make no excuses, that said sometimes I am just so tired when I come of shift be that mentally or physically that I feel the need to just not concentrate on anything or anyone. I have good intentions and sometimes good compositions in my head but cannot get my butt off the sofa to make them my vision.

I apologise to those that spend the time to comment on my photos and offer help and advice and I truly do appreciate the time you take to do so.
I spend my working day on my iPad completing the paperwork for those we convey to hospital and those we don’t, and doctors referrals, falls referrals and end of life paperwork... by the end of my shift my eyes are tired as am I so I don’t pick up my own phone or my own iPad.

This begs a question I need to ask myself should I continue next year as I am being unfair to those that do take the time to comment and offer help, guidance and feedback. I do struggle to get out as much as I should because my own body needs to rest and repair so don’t always post the pictures on time. I won’t just go take something because it fits the subject, I take pride in finding the right subject.

Until recently I have only been getting access to my laptop in the evenings after my other half has finished work, but now my other half has a shiny office upstairs equipped with the appropriate equipment (ironically equipment was hard to come by in the NHS) and my laptop is secure in my office and mine all mine. (I have just ordered a desktop computer with a proper photography monitor so I can focus on learning more about processing).

@Cobra you do a grand job and I would hate to see you stand down but I understand it’s important to share the load.

I would like to remain part of this group and love the challenges it provides me, I love looking at others interpretation and some have become my inspiration. I look at others shots and they have the WOW factor, I aspire to be able to take a shot like them.. roll on retirement as I know how much time I need to devote. Until I joined this group I have always focussed my photography on seascapes & landscapes so have been well and truly thrown out of my comfort zone which has been really good for me and I have learnt so much from others on here. (I did have to google some of the techniques as I had never heard of them).

I guess what I’m trying to say is “sorry” and “thank you”, please excuse me if you think I am not committed enough and am sporadic. I am looking forward to getting my full 52 this year and will raise a toast with you all when we have a full complement.

Heather.

I do believe tis the day before the day! :banana: :naughty: :banana:

I do believe tis the day before the day! :banana: :naughty: :banana:
It is indeed and this is the first week in ages when I've been ahead and ready :)

@Gritty I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but personally I would far prefer you to continue and not bother commenting if you don't have time. I think the 52 is different things to different people and I know I found the commenting an unwelcome pressure last time. Also last time I spent ages trying to do my best each week photographically. This time I still try, but I am not so picky. Feel free not to comment on mine, I don't mind :)

Last edited:
This is my first 52 and I find the subjects fine. I always look through the posted photos and like ones which I am impressed by. I don't often comment on individual threads as by the time I look at them there are usually already a few 'nice photo' type comments and unless I think I have a particular new point to make I can't see any reason to add to them as I have already shown my appreciation by clicking the like button.

It's my first go at this as well but I feel like I'm of the same opinion as Nick (ncf15) as far as commenting/liking images.

I'm enjoying the challenge and trying to push myself to post quality images based on the theme. I don't think that the themes are too hard and I like the job you're doing HP. Kudos to you for your hard work keeping this up and running.

Playing catch up, and feeling guilty about the comments, or lack thereof I've been posting recently. I'm in the lucky position of still being healthy, still being able to get our and travel, still seeing people at work on the days I'm in the office, and even (outside and appropriately distanced) socially. But for all that - my indoor time had increased, my screen time had increased (I stare at a laptop screen for far too many hours whilst WFH), and the energy I have has decreased since January/February. Do I want the project to finish early this year - no (and hats off to you @Cobra for keeping it going! Thank you!) This is my first - I'm going to complete it, and I'm going to do my best to play fewer catch ups... Would I be able to run it as well as you, again no - sorry...

For me - part of what I'm struggling with is the amount of traffic in the main forum. This is really the only section I'm active in, but after a day or two away from the forum, there are hundreds or thousands of messages in areas in much less interested in. Part of this is entirely my own fault (I'm guilty of clocking the "What's new" button rather than going to the individual sub-forum. So that's something in going to change - and that way hopefully I'll feel less overwhelmed by the number of unread threads...

And most importantly - @Fuji Dave - hope you're ok!

It's Thursday and, surprise, surprise, it's raining here! Today's theme "saturated"??
Interesting read on the various comments and can I just add that I don't mind and certainly won't take offence if people don't comment on my images. The 52 is to be enjoyed however you partake and I for one would hate anyone to leave or to feel obliged/guilty in the process.

FWIW, I enjoy the 52 and definitely think it should continue. I'd love to be able to help out but couldn't give it the attention it requires (sorry @Cobra, but you do a great job anyway). In terms of comments, i'm quite happy to just receive a like without a comment, and I don't consider anyone to be rude if they just 'like' with no comment. I have a busy job/life sop often find myself playing catch up on comments but do find it a challenge commenting on catch up image posts as it does take time to look at each image and think of constructive comments.

It's horses for courses obviously but, for me i'd hate to think people were feeling obliged to comment on my images - a like will do and then make a comment if you have something you'd really like to say about the image, good or bad; this seems a nice compromise to me.

I have to say, as this is my first one, I've not really understood the importance of comments.

I definitely should do more of that, especially as people do take the time to comment on mine. I do wonder how much benefit a comment from someone like me is worth, which often holds me back from critiquing. But I will definitely aim to comment more.

Despite working at home, I've found it harder to find time to take pictures - probably because I don't have a commute and a lot of my early shots came from walking/cycling to work.

I've loved it though and genuinely appreciate the people that take the time to comment - even if it's only to rip the pee out of some of my 'less-considered' shots.

I also have been a forum mod before, and organiser of a club and know how much time it can take up. As it's something I'm short on at the minute, I won't be sticking my hand up to volunteer, but do appreciate the work that's gone into organising it.

Long may it continue. I would definitely sign up for next year, if it's still going.

The challenge is your challenge, so how you go about it is up to you.
My own personal view is, I don't post my own photo, until I've commented on at least the majority of everyone else's, after my last photo post (does that make sense?)
I'm not a great participant in this discussion thread, but do read it every now and then.

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie this year and am indeed guilty of playing catch up. I will make no excuses, that said sometimes I am just so tired when I come of shift be that mentally or physically that I feel the need to just not concentrate on anything or anyone. I have good intentions and sometimes good compositions in my head but cannot get my butt off the sofa to make them my vision.

I apologise to those that spend the time to comment on my photos and offer help and advice and I truly do appreciate the time you take to do so.
I spend my working day on my iPad completing the paperwork for those we convey to hospital and those we don’t, and doctors referrals, falls referrals and end of life paperwork... by the end of my shift my eyes are tired as am I so I don’t pick up my own phone or my own iPad.

This begs a question I need to ask myself should I continue next year as I am being unfair to those that do take the time to comment and offer help, guidance and feedback. I do struggle to get out as much as I should because my own body needs to rest and repair so don’t always post the pictures on time. I won’t just go take something because it fits the subject, I take pride in finding the right subject.

Until recently I have only been getting access to my laptop in the evenings after my other half has finished work, but now my other half has a shiny office upstairs equipped with the appropriate equipment (ironically equipment was hard to come by in the NHS) and my laptop is secure in my office and mine all mine. (I have just ordered a desktop computer with a proper photography monitor so I can focus on learning more about processing).

@Cobra you do a grand job and I would hate to see you stand down but I understand it’s important to share the load.

I would like to remain part of this group and love the challenges it provides me, I love looking at others interpretation and some have become my inspiration. I look at others shots and they have the WOW factor, I aspire to be able to take a shot like them.. roll on retirement as I know how much time I need to devote. Until I joined this group I have always focussed my photography on seascapes & landscapes so have been well and truly thrown out of my comfort zone which has been really good for me and I have learnt so much from others on here. (I did have to google some of the techniques as I had never heard of them).

I guess what I’m trying to say is “sorry” and “thank you”, please excuse me if you think I am not committed enough and am sporadic. I am looking forward to getting my full 52 this year and will raise a toast with you all when we have a full complement.

Heather.
I know the feeling and I don't even have that stressful a job.
Keep posting and comment when or where you can.
I don't always have a great deal of motivation to pick up my camera (not just for the 52). I will have an idea for a photo (still life or creative), it'll go around my head for a few days, then when I do have the time to give it a go, I'll talk myself out of it. So, of late I force myself to give it a go and I'm really happy that I gave it a go, even if it hasn't turned out as I'd planned. It means I've learned what will or won't work.
So my advice to you would be, even if you're not feeling motivated and have the time, just get the camera out, set something up on a table and think, how can I make this interesting, how many different compositions can I make. Now the photos may be a bit ordinary and that doesn't matter, it's more about thinking, working out what you need to do to make a better photo.
Pick some everyday items, bread, vase of flowers, anything really, but things that go together. Work with 3 items, play around with depth of field, composition etc. The hardest thing I find is the background. If you pick bread (as an example), look at Pinterest, type in the search box, bread photography and see how others have done it.
I hope this helps.

Ps. I have inadvertently made you sit in front of a computer screen for even longer ;)

Last edited:
I am a newbie this year and am indeed guilty of playing catch up. I will make no excuses, that said sometimes I am just so tired when I come of shift be that mentally or physically that I feel the need to just not concentrate on anything or anyone.
As above Heather I mentioned before, don't worry about it I know what you do, and fully understand the stress you may well be under, notwithstanding the long hours, so thank you for that (y)

It's Thursday and, surprise, surprise, it's raining here! Today's theme "saturated"??
After the journey home I've just had? I'm contemplating "pi'ssed off" As a theme :D

I look at them there are usually already a few 'nice photo' type comments and unless I think I have a particular new point to make I can't see any reason to add to them as I have already shown my appreciation by clicking the like button.
The "old hands" will know, going back, that there used to be a lot of honest and firm critique, some people didn't like it and left.
Some that were dishing out got fed up with the softly softly approach and left.
To my mind its about right where it is now, some helpful but not harsh comments,
Unfortunately, as I've mentioned before, the "like" button has a cut out a lot comments.
Yes I'm guilty of doing so, if I'm pushed for time too.

The challenge is your challenge, so how you go about it is up to you.
My own personal view is, I don't post my own photo, until I've commented on at least the majority of everyone else's, after my last photo post (does that make sense?)
I'm not a great participant in this discussion thread, but do read it every now and then.
All fair comments Dom.

Kudos to you for your hard work keeping this up and running.
(and hats off to you @Cobra for keeping it going! Thank you!)
Long may it continue. I would definitely sign up for next year, if it's still going.
Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement, they are appreciated. (y)

Some of you may be or may not be aware of the "Hotel California" rule.
If you mention 52 challenge you are in for life the following year at least

♪♪ You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave" ♪♪

So it looks like I've been hoisted by my own petard.

On to week 41
This might make your brain hurt ;)

( Something) Topical

At a quick glance I read it as 'Tropical' and thought that's going to be hard, then I realized it was 'Topical' and thought that's going to be hard :p

Thank you everyone, I`m back home but still in a right old mess. Have to go and see some heart bloke and lung too as both have been damaged very badly by the virus, and omg my body just hurts and aches like hell plus I have been told it will be a very long recovery for me now.

After taking this with my mobile the rest is all blank till coming out today.

I m Alive by Dave, on Flickr

I will finish my 52 but it could even end up going into next year as it`s painful to even move an inch.

Thank you everyone, I`m back home but still in a right old mess. Have to go and see some heart bloke and lung too as both have been damaged very badly by the virus, and omg my body just hurts and aches like hell plus I have been told it will be a very long recovery for me now.

I will finish my 52 but it could even end up going into next year as it`s painful to even move an inch.
Well to be fair, that's this week's theme done, you can't get more Topical than that.
Hope you get better soon. Rest up and relax.

Good to see you back with us @Fuji Dave

I naively thought when I came out back in April that I'd be fully fit by now lol. NOPE. Still spending an afternoon per week in hospital. It takes time mate - just take each day as it comes.

Good to see you back with us @Fuji Dave

I naively thought when I came out back in April that I'd be fully fit by now lol. NOPE. Still spending an afternoon per week in hospital. It takes time mate - just take each day as it comes.

It seems as what I thought the other week was a cold was actually the virus so when my chest was killing me I just thought damn cold, thank god I stayed in a lot too.

Blimey @Fuji Dave you really arn't having the best of years so far.... everything is crossed for you. Like you said "Thank god you stayed in..." Hope that your lungs and heart aren't too badly damaged and a bit of physio on your lungs will see you able to run the Brighton Marathon. Take it easy and rest, your body is going to need it.

Blimey @Fuji Dave you really arn't having the best of years so far.... everything is crossed for you. Like you said "Thank god you stayed in..." Hope that your lungs and heart aren't too badly damaged and a bit of physio on your lungs will see you able to run the Brighton Marathon. Take it easy and rest, your body is going to need it.

Thank you, and also THANK You again for the work you do is just fantastic.
They did say I`d have to go to physio too, plus I have a stretchy band here that I used for my copd exercise.

Everything crossed for you Dave. I've just had to send 5 guys home from the Squadron after one selfish **** decided to screw over his mates, and doing some frantic digging to check that's all who need to go home. So thank goodness indeed that you mostly stayed in!

Hope all goes well for you from here Fuji Dave, we're rooting for you!

@Fuji Dave good to hear from you and wishing you a speedy and full recovery. I would imagine 2020 is definitely one year you'll be glad to see the back of! Take great care of yourself.

Glad you are home ( @Fuji Dave ) Dave (y)
Just take it steady and get well soon .. (y)

And as been mentioned already, that's this week's theme sorted.
(Your'll do anything to get "That shot" won't you? :p )

Sorry to hear this and I hope you make a good and speedy recovery. I've been feeling a little run down the last few days and have to admit the first thing I thought of was corona, but thankfully it's just turned out to be tonsillitis and I started antibiotics today, but I've no idea how I've managed to catch it considering all the mask wearing etc.

Do you know how or where you caught the virus?

Sorry to hear this and I hope you make a good and speedy recovery. I've been feeling a little run down the last few days and have to admit the first thing I thought of was corona, but thankfully it's just turned out to be tonsillitis and I started antibiotics today, but I've no idea how I've managed to catch it considering all the mask wearing etc.

Do you know how or where you caught the virus?

The only place I can think of is the bus, as a lot of folk just will not wear a mask and the drivers don`t tell anyone to put them on.

Everything crossed for you Dave. I've just had to send 5 guys home from the Squadron after one selfish **** decided to screw over his mates, and doing some frantic digging to check that's all who need to go home. So thank goodness indeed that you mostly stayed in!
Yay good to see you're home and recovering @Fuji Dave! Take it easy
Hope all goes well for you from here Fuji Dave, we're rooting for you!
@Fuji Dave good to hear from you and wishing you a speedy and full recovery. I would imagine 2020 is definitely one year you'll be glad to see the back of! Take great care of yourself.
Glad to hear you're home @Fuji Dave. All the very best and take care of yourself.

Thanks folks. Had to go out today as got my Flu jab now, then I took it slow and went to have a look at some Road/Gravel EBikes but very lightweight as in the next so many weeks I will start to try and get some strength back.

Just come back from a week without Wifi, So first Off @Fuji Dave , I'm glad you are recovering from your Covid experience, take it easy and get back to a healthy life.

And for @Cobra You as always are doing a sterling job of running the 52, an idea, maybe cut the number of themes in half and people can double up on the pictures if they want.

As every body else I find it hard to comment on all of the photos submitted and try to comment on those around my entry. I try to offer my very limited experience where it has not already been given by others and I have used the like button to show I like the photo, when there are so many good ones, also I find I have missed so many photos where I have not commented or liked.

Pete

, maybe cut the number of themes in half and people can double up on the pictures if they want.
Doesn't that make it a "variable" 26 ?
:D

Back