Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the camp (of one, possibly!) that says I would rather have them weekly as I like waiting to see what each theme is and then only having the one to think about. But happy to go with the majority.

Having just re-visited the threads updated since my last comments on them, it looks as though we're down to less than ten still active at the moment :( What a shame the 52 seems to be running out of steam but hopefully we can find a way to inject some enthusiasm.

Last edited:
So for instance we could do,

@Dave70D Hollow Great shot dave
@Liz Reeve Art really cool shot love the colours
Bizzare cracking idea love the picture.
@minx Creature Great owl shot.

It would speed up the commenting process as we would not be jumping in and out of individual threads.

I'm in the camp (of one, possibly!) that says I would rather have them weekly as I like waiting to see what each theme is and then only having the one to think about. Bit happy to go with the majority.

Having just re-visited the threads updated since my last comments on them, it looks as though we're down to less than ten still active at the moment :( What a shame the 52 seems to be running out of steam but hopefully we can find a way to inject some enthusiasm.
I'm with you, would rather have them weekly its only another ten weeks or so!

There are about 10 or 11 still active.
Which is half the number of the past couple of years.
I'm still keen to get one theme at a time, but will go with the majority...

Oh and grrrr. Virgin Media is down.
So posting via phone.

• Internet back and wk40 posted...
  • I don't think my 41 works, so will need to get something else.
  • Will catch up with comments hopefully on Weds (got to get the edits from this weekend's Reading Comic-Con finished first).
  • Spreadsheet updated.

• Internet back and wk40 posted...
  • I don't think my 41 works, so will need to get something else.
  • Will catch up with comments hopefully on Weds (got to get the edits from this weekend's Reading Comic-Con finished first).
  • Spreadsheet updated.
Thanks for updating the spreadsheet Tim, did not realise I had missed beautiful out, I feel a selfie coming on!:D

Reactions: LC2
There are about 10 or 11 still active.
Which is half the number of the past couple of years.
I'm still keen to get one theme at a time, but will go with the majority...

Oh and grrrr. Virgin Media is down.
So posting via phone.

10 is better than counting on one hand, whatever happens I will finish mine again, but like I said I think it is down to folk working or family but not 100%.

Well that seemed to wake everyone up, I think everyone knows what I am getting at hence the reaction.

For what its worth I would prefer a weekly pic but if people can't be bothered (it seems very apathetic the last few weeks)I would rather just get it out of the way.
Don't want to comment then just say, there are 10/11 people still posting and I would say about 6 people actually taking part.

Look at the parts of the forum that work, the film section for example a friendly place lots of advice and enthusiasm, thats what it should be like in here.

@Dave70D sorry to bring it up Dave but you have had a terrible year but you are still here and contributing and still have the enthusiasm, I admire that attitude.

This is supposed to be something we all love to do why has it become so hard for some people to take part and contribute?

Or maybe its just me :coat:

I'm with you, would rather have them weekly its only another ten weeks or so!

Never been on this thread before so don't know how the discussion started, but I'm quite happy with one topic each Thursday. Only saw it because I had a mention and was alerted to it. I look forward to seeing what the word is. Am a couple behind at the moment as I wanted a new photo for Autumn and it's a bit slow getting going here and I've only just seen hollow which might need a bit more thought. I am determined to finish the year though so hope it will continue into the future.

Well that seemed to wake everyone up, I think everyone knows what I am getting at hence the reaction.

For what its worth I would prefer a weekly pic but if people can't be bothered (it seems very apathetic the last few weeks)I would rather just get it out of the way.
Don't want to comment then just say, there are 10/11 people still posting and I would say about 6 people actually taking part.

Look at the parts of the forum that work, the film section for example a friendly place lots of advice and enthusiasm, thats what it should be like in here.

@Dave70D sorry to bring it up Dave but you have had a terrible year but you are still here and contributing and still have the enthusiasm, I admire that attitude.

This is supposed to be something we all love to do why has it become so hard for some people to take part and contribute?

Thank you very much Allan, I did think a few times, Just sack it all but then thought NO way yes it has been a horrible year for me and the family but life does go on, and my photography really has helped me a lot.

Interesting comments Allan, I personally do not see this apathy amongst those remaining. For my part I have been homeless now since April 20th, sometimes it is hard to be enthusiastic about anything let alone the 52.

I've been biting my tongue for ages on what I am about to say and no doubt I will regret it but TBH I have pretty much given up on this discussion thread because of all the personal issues. I fully understand that some people have difficult lives and that if that stops someone posting and commenting then I’m OK with the occasional message here to that effect but this is not, IMO, the place for week-in week-out blow-by-blow account of people’s personal troubles. It’s meant to be a fun foto challenge not a self-help group.

I’m going to see the year out and I really enjoy the challenge but it’s very unlikely I’ll be doing it again next year. It’s really lost the energy and fun it had a couple of years ago.

I've been biting my tongue for ages on what I am about to say and no doubt I will regret it but TBH I have pretty much given up on this discussion thread because of all the personal issues. I fully understand that some people have difficult lives and that if that stops someone posting and commenting then I’m OK with the occasional message here to that effect but this is not, IMO, the place for week-in week-out blow-by-blow account of people’s personal troubles. It’s meant to be a fun foto challenge not a self-help group.

I’m going to see the year out and I really enjoy the challenge but it’s very unlikely I’ll be doing it again next year. It’s really lost the energy and fun it had a couple of years ago.
I feel the same way, I think that comment pretty much hits the nail on the head, I won’t be taking part next year either.

Here's a radical idea (which may be crap - thoughts please)...

How about 2 x 26's next year?
It's still the 52 really, but easier to complete in 2 halves, and a way back in for any who drop out early...

I like the 52's format, but I guess like TV shows, a shake up now and then is important.

To me if feels like win win win win.
  1. We keep the 52 going
  2. New format-more interest/entrants maybe.
  3. Easier to complete-more likely that people will keep going.
  4. A way back in mid year.

Is it possible to block commenting on our individual threads, to be honest I would rather just finish the 52 without anyone commenting on what I put up.

I can see where your coming from Chris, so what do we do ? Me stop about my troubles members not to say busy at work Oh I have a cold or the flu, so where does it end as I think everyone have been guilty of it in here :)

Here's a radical idea (which may be crap - thoughts please)...

How about 2 x 26's next year?
It's still the 52 really, but easier to complete in 2 halves, and a way back in for any who drop out early...

I like the 52's format, but I guess like TV shows, a shake up now and then is important.

To me if feels like win win win win.
  1. We keep the 52 going
  2. New format-more interest/entrants maybe.
  3. Easier to complete-more likely that people will keep going.
  4. A way back in mid year.
Excellent idea.

I can see where your coming from Chris, so what do we do ? Me stop about my troubles members not to say busy at work Oh I have a cold or the flu, so where does it end as I think everyone have been guilty of it in here :)
We stick to commenting on the pictures nothing else.

For some reason I have lost any creativity I may have had and subsequently any enthusiasm for photography at the moment. I really only pick up the camera for taking photos for the 52.
I sometimes wonder why I even have a camera.
This yrs 52 seems to have dwindled away to just a few of us and that is a shame, because I do enjoy it, but it needs more people to be involved to make it work.
I've never been a big contributor to the discussion thread, but do mostly enjoy reading it.
Commenting on individual themes is hard without trying to sound repetitive. I also try to not be too negative but also honest and encouraging.

I am well fine with that :)
Personally your always welcome to PM me, I think whats going on in others life actually explains some of the pictures they produce. I know it affects my photography..

From my point of view, those who are complaining most are the ones who do not want to actually come up with some constructive ideas. Tim has made some suggestions for next year as have I. I would also add for next year maybe one word topics might be expanded on or perhaps some more interesting one worders (if that makes sense)

From my point of view, those who are complaining most are the ones who do not want to actually come up with some constructive ideas.
I'm not sure complaining is the right word, the way I see it, it's more there thoughts on what has gone wrong with this years 52.
I'm a 'go with the flow' kind of person, so don't really have any ideas of which way the 52 should go.

I'm not sure complaining is the right word, the way I see it, it's more there thoughts on what has gone wrong with this years 52.
I'm a 'go with the flow' kind of person, so don't really have any ideas of which way the 52 should go.
Well I just went back over the last 5 pages and apart from two comments from myself and grandpajihn telling us about his eyes. I do not see what @sirch means by,

I fully understand that some people have difficult lives and that if that stops someone posting and commenting then I’m OK with the occasional message here to that effect but this is not, IMO, the place for week-in week-out blow-by-blow account of people’s personal troubles.

It appears perception and reality do not match.

There is no need for a change in anything one picture a week for 52 weeks why does it need to change it’s not the format which is the problem

Just popping on for a quick word after reading the latest comments. I think if we want more involvement, interaction, banter or whatever we want to call it, we need to start it ourselves rather than bemoan its absence. Having just spoken to @Missycat , who hasn't seen the latest comments, we both agree that there has been a couple of times this year where there have been two or three very challenging themes in a row, and if you get behind then it has been hard to catch up again.

I don't know everyone's differing circumstances, but with a family, house and business to run, dependent parent, member of two committees etc I sometimes just DON'T have the time to pick up my camera, let alone plan an image, and again that can lead to a backlog. I do enjoy the 52 very much and hope it returns to being an encouraging and inclusive part of the forum rather than the slightly judgemental air that seems to creep in from time to time.

For example, when we discussed the challenging themes earlier in the year, the constructive suggestion was made to recycle some of the old themes and I think that was done. We can either try to make the 52 hum again, or just turn our backs :cautious: My suggestion would be to promote the 52 forum-wide during December and try to get some new participants next year, and then encourage them to stick around and not :bat::bat:

Any other constructive ideas?

There is no need for a change in anything one picture a week for 52 weeks why does it need to change it’s not the format which is the problem

I totally agree, Allan. One photo a week is not a lot to ask for, only if you are keen on photography. The format works well for a number of years it just lacking people taking part or people lost interest whether due to work or life in general.

I'm happy with one theme per week and very likely that I WILL carry on next year too. I still enjoy taking pictures so much that I drove over two hours return just to take this week's theme yesterday.

I think we should have one thread for commenting on everyone's photos,
But by commenting on the personal thread the comments stay with the image,
If you had a "post it only here" thread
and a "Comments only here" thread, it would get awfully messy very quickly.

we would be able to see the comments on our own pictures.
That's why you have a personal thread.

TBH I'm beginning to think that the 52 is becoming a waste of time now, in the last 3 years, less and less are finishing pro rata
(Unless anyone want's to do the math of course ;) )

Maybe make it a 12 instead with easier themes, or even a 26?

Well tha'll teach me not to read the next page before posting :D
as you were guy's I'll just take it all in for now ...
But just one other point.

My suggestion would be to promote the 52 forum-wide during December
Did you miss where I did that the last couple of years?
That worked well then ;)

I've done a 12 a few years back and the ideas then were more to do with photos effects, techniques and creativities hence it was known as 12 etc. One theme or six themes were posted at the start of each month and you can complete them anytime over the month either 6 photos of the same theme or one per theme or mixture of them. The link to my 12 etc is in my signature below.

So maybe instead of 6 themes per month, it can be 4 or even 1 or you can post as many as you like.

But by commenting on the personal thread the comments stay with the image,
If you had a "post it only here" thread
and a "Comments only here" thread, it would get awfully messy very quickly.

That's why you have a personal thread.

TBH I'm beginning to think that the 52 is becoming a waste of time now, in the last 3 years, less and less are finishing pro rata
(Unless anyone want's to do the math of course ;) )

I am just throwing ideas out there Cobra, I think the 52 if worth persevering with.

It might be worth asking those who have dropped out very politely why? (that puts me out of asking!);)

Or maybe a poll finding out why people don't take part, what they would like to see etc!

I have a feeling that most have dropped out because of life, not anything intrinsically wrong with the 52, I see model flying clubs and other hobbies struggling now. Maybe its just modern life?

It might be worth asking those who have dropped out very politely why? (that puts me out of asking!);)
Its a good idea, but I would suggest those that have gone have gone for good.

I have a feeling that most have dropped out because of life,
I know a few in the past have for that very reason, they thought it was a good idea at the time, but couldn't commit to taking
1 image a week, ( yes I'm guilty as charged too) which I find sad as this is a photography forum...

It never ceases to amaze me, when *we* get an RTM from someone that can't post an image and wants to know why, / how to, most of these have been here at least a year
with at least 1000 post count, and some considerably longer / and much higher post count ...
That's my Mod rant for the day :D

Or maybe a poll finding out why people don't take part, what they would like to see etc!

I have a feeling that most have dropped out because of life, not anything intrinsically wrong with the 52, I see model flying clubs and other hobbies struggling now. Maybe its just modern life?

I think there are many reasons why people dropping out. Apart from life in general, busy at work, lost of interest and he/she doesn't like the comments about their image! Yes, I've come across them over the years.

OK, well here's my 2 peneth, for what its worth :D I have been pretty rubbish this year at keeping up with the themes and commenting. I have found quite a few of the themes a bit of a challenge and sometimes a few weeks slip by before I think of something! I don't like to look at the images feed until I am up to date as I don't want to be influenced by other peoples posts, this then does mean that most things have been said and it's sometimes difficult to find something new to say. I don't think the format needs changing and I would like to continue getting the images each week. I will be doing my best to finish as well. This is only my second year, so can only compare the 2 but last year there were more people and much more commenting and chatting. Not sure why this year has been a bit flat but I guess it's up to us to make it better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back