Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are many reasons why people dropping out. Apart from life in general, busy at work, lost of interest and he/she doesn't like the comments about their image! Yes, I've come across them over the years.
Me too :D

I have found quite a few of the themes a bit of a challenge
My work is done here :D
Seriously would you like easier themes? ( general question)

Not sure why this year has been a bit flat but I guess it's up to us to make it better. :)
Taking the p*** outta the snake seems to be a regular past-time though :D

I'm all for a debate over a picture, sometimes the commenter is right and I have done reposts with things they have suggested. Other times I give the reasons I took the picture as I did. I have on occasions asked people a question about their image but have had no response, so I shrug and move on. This is just my attempt at interacting but it doesn't always work :D

While were on the subject whats with the new macho avatar?:popcorn:

Me too :D

My work is done here :D
Seriously would you like easier themes? ( general question)

See above lol

Probably not :ROFLMAO: just takes my brain a bit to think of something sometimes :D

I know lots of others do but I would never take the p*** out of a snake :D

Last edited:
I noticed that too, but didn't like to look at it for too long incase I got hypnotised, I've heard that's what snakes do when you look into their eyes.

Sorry that looks a bit weird but don't know how to pick out a bit of post, so just answered the questions in order:rolleyes:

I noticed that too, but didn't like to look at it for too long incase I got hypnotised, I've heard that's what snakes do when you look into their eyes.

He suits PINK so he`s not manly even if he is kind of cool :cobra::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:. Bring on 2019 52, after CHRISTMAS :p

Could be fancy dress for Halloween party!:D

Its my Halloween guise (y)

I know lots of others do but I would never take the p*** out of a snake :D
Feel free :D

, I've heard that's what snakes do when you look into their eyes.
You're safe you're a bloke (y)
:D
He suits PINK so he`s not manly even if he is kind of cool :cobra::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:. Bring on 2019 52, after CHRISTMAS :p
Told you before, jaffa cakes don't work brown envelopes stuff with fivers are a much safer bet :D

The point of the challenge is to think about the theme and produce a picture based on it in the week, the word challenge is the clue. I am not bothered if people stick to it or not I really don’t care what other people do.
There used to be a 365 and I recall people disappearing from that for a week or two and coming back with 6 or 7 pictures all taken on the same day, hardly the point.
On commenting saying I don’t know what to say or other people have already said it just means you don’t comment and we get to this stage. It’s amazing how busy this section has become but still not many going through to comment on actual pictures. Anyway it was never my intention to anger or upset people I’m just disappointed with how things have gone.

Having taken on board what's been said, I'll start a thread shortly, with a poll, in the 52 section.
Lets keep it all in one place, tell me what you think, and want to see in the poll, and I'll add bits as we go.
and I'll make the poll anonymous so even I won't know who voted for what.
And then later on the thread can be pimped around the forums in a few weeks.

How does that sound?

Having taken on board what's been said, I'll start a thread shortly, with a poll, in the 52 section.
Lets keep it all in one place, tell me what you think, and want to see in the poll, and I'll add bits as we go.
and I'll make the poll anonymous so even I won't know who voted for what.
And then later on the thread can be pimped around the forums in a few weeks.

How does that sound?

Great idea that @Cobra (y)

The point of the challenge is to think about the theme and produce a picture based on it in the week, the word challenge is the clue. I am not bothered if people stick to it or not I really don’t care what other people do.
There used to be a 365 and I recall people disappearing from that for a week or two and coming back with 6 or 7 pictures all taken on the same day, hardly the point.
On commenting saying I don’t know what to say or other people have already said it just means you don’t comment and we get to this stage. It’s amazing how busy this section has become but still not many going through to comment on actual pictures. Anyway it was never my intention to anger or upset people I’m just disappointed with how things have gone.

I must say I am guilty on not putting a comment on all the photos being put in, now you mention it I will start again, thanks for the kick up the backside.

Its HERE
Fill ya boots (y)

@Cobra I wont put a vote in straight away, but can we say something before we do actually vote ?
Comment away, and add suggestions for the poll too :)

Did you miss where I did that the last couple of years?
That worked well then ;)

I do seem to remember a 'sticky' at the top of the page and possibly a mention in the newsletter - is there still a newsletter for members? Although, to be fair, the issue seems to be less about getting people to start a 52 - although I think fewer started this year than in earlier years - and more about getting them to stick with it.

:plus1: Can't agree more, Allan.

Your rules, your project, your challenge and your enjoyment.

Your rules, your project, your challenge and your enjoyment.

I may not always like the theme, but i will always try to come up with something original (it doesn't always workout that way though).
Like you say @Allan.H, 'it's a challenge' and is meant to get the old grey matter between the ears working.

Reactions: rpn
I must say I am guilty on not putting a comment on all the photos being put in, now you mention it I will start again, thanks for the kick up the backside.
Not really what I meant by that, I don’t comment on everyone’s thread but the people I miss out don’t generally comment at all, you are doing fine as it is Dave

Again the accusation of people who do not comment at all are not backed up by the facts, there is no one left in the 52 this year who has not commented. It is easy to go back and see that from our individual threads. Of course no where in the rules does it say you MUST comment. For me encouraging participation rather than whining about others is the way forward. If that participation is only putting up pictures occasionally it is better than nothing. Although some may not like it, the fact is we all have very different lives and attitudes. We should encourage others to join rather than criticise those still in, IMHO.:mad:

1* is there still a newsletter for members? - 2* and more about getting them to stick with it.
Point 1, Andrea, there is a news letter a blank page in fact, if one of us (Mods) CBA to write it that is :D
I did sticky to all forums, the 52 intro page, but thinking back, I'm now wondering if the was the 2017 and not the 2018 one :thinking:
Point 2, I 100% agree with that (y)

I may not always like the theme, but i will always try to come up with something original (it doesn't always workout that way though).
Like you say @Allan.H, 'it's a challenge' and is meant to get the old grey matter between the ears working.
There is always the auld shoe horn :D or if you are totally stuck, play a joker (y)

Again the accusation of people who do not comment at all are not backed up by the facts, there is no one left in the 52 this year who has not commented. It is easy to go back and see that from our individual threads. Of course no where in the rules does it say you MUST comment. For me encouraging participation rather than whining about others is the way forward. If that participation is only putting up pictures occasionally it is better than nothing. Although some may not like it, the fact is we all have very different lives and attitudes. We should encourage others to join rather than criticise those still in, IMHO.:mad:

Its all about helping / guiding each other surely?
There have been a few that have left over time because of "Nice shot" comments, from that,
there has also been mention over the last couple of years that the 52 has ( Paraphrasing) become a shadow of its former self, due to the lack of ( more serious type) critique.

Maybe offering more helpful critique and returning to the old values is the way to go?
If you don't want critique then say so at the start of your thread? or under each picture you post something like NCR ( No Critique Required) ???

Now, its going to be difficult to critique them all, and I hate to say it, but maybe post 1 critique 3?
Which could possibly form small cliques, which of course is something to avoid.

Yes a know some of you have said that you don't know how too or you don't have the experience,
but you know what you like, as a game show host is fond of saying say what you see. ;)

I don’t comment on everyone’s thread but the people I miss out don’t generally comment at all,
I've not looked back, but I did say at least reciprocate maybe that's not working then?

Its all about helping / guiding each other surely?

Exactly, and to my mind it does not help moaning about lack of critique when in fact everyone left in the 52 at the moment does give critique.

The lack of serious critique is a forum wide issue IMHO so its hardly surprising it has worked its way into the 52. How you encourage it is beyond my mind to figure out but I am pretty sure nagging those who try to give critique is not the way to go.

I used to use the like button a lot but then in one thread someone moaned about and wanted the like button removed. So now I only comment or like a really fab photo or when I have a question to ask.

Without being rude Cobra I would love to hear your opinion on what we could/should do to invigorate the 52, all joking a side we do value your opinion and experience very much. (and its not the new macho image that makes me say that!).

I used to use the like button a lot but then in one thread someone moaned about and wanted the like button removed.
There is probably a 50/50 split forum wide on that, most of the staff don't actually like it, because it stops a lot of comments.

Without being rude Cobra I would love to hear your opinion on what we could/should do to invigorate the 52,
Not rude at all :)
In all honesty I don't know what the answer is that's why I've thrown it open to everyone for an opinion.

and its not the new macho image that makes me say that!
Be honest, it scared you into asking that didn't it? :D

BTW my avatar changes with the seasons or commemorative dates, be that serious or otherwise :D

But by commenting on the personal thread the comments stay with the image,
If you had a "post it only here" thread
and a "Comments only here" thread, it would get awfully messy very quickly.

That's why you have a personal thread.

TBH I'm beginning to think that the 52 is becoming a waste of time now, in the last 3 years, less and less are finishing pro rata
(Unless anyone want's to do the math of course ;) )

Maybe make it a 12 instead with easier themes, or even a 26?

I like the idea of a 12, Maybe for the 12 we have a theme and a technique to go together, such as

Monthly Themes
-----------------------
Water - (Lakes, Rivers, Sea, Canal, Water Drops, Rainfall, Puddles)
Urban
Couples (Older, Young, Odd)
After 8 (In the evening any time of Year)
Very Early
Not Ground Level
Cold
Colourful
New
Old
Random
Patterns

Techniques
----------------

Hdr
Focus stacking
ICM
Night Time
Macro
Long Exposure
Monochromactic
Panoramic
Silhouettes
Telephoto
Wide angle
Minimalist/conceptual
Motion

Pete

I seem to have upset people if that’s the case then I will quit and leave you all to it. I think I have contributed by encouraging and commenting every week over the last 7 years to this part of the forum.
I do find one person particularly amusing an amazing amount of opinion for someone who has never completed a 52, but apparently the world revolves around me and to be honest I am shocked it doesn’t.
so perhaps I should cal it a day, I will make my mind up over the next couple of days.

I seem to have upset people
I'm still not sure what this is all about :thinking:
Feel free to PM me if you want (y)

so perhaps I should cal it a day, I will make my mind up over the next couple of days
Don't do that, if a person or person's are p***ing you off, the ignore button works in here just as well as elsewhere.

I seem to have upset people if that’s the case then I will quit and leave you all to it. I think I have contributed by encouraging and commenting every week over the last 7 years to this part of the forum.
I do find one person particularly amusing an amazing amount of opinion for someone who has never completed a 52, but apparently the world revolves around me and to be honest I am shocked it doesn’t.
so perhaps I should cal it a day, I will make my mind up over the next couple of days.
Please don't, I value your opinion/critique.
You've pretty much always had a good take on a theme, sometimes it's a bit outthere (not a bad thing to do), but always well taken and well thought out.
I can understand your frustration at some comments of late (I'm not going to get involved with that though, it's not my thing), but i do understand if you want to leave the 52, I just hope in a couple of days time you reconsider.

That would be our loss, please do not quit.

Right...
If anyone is interested in what's kept me away from the 52 over the past few weeks, the results of my labour are:
Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/albums/72157700686153291
And Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/albums/72157699233034322

Somewhere in the region of 600 edited images over 2 weeks from a starting point of around 900 shots.
Some aren't great technically, but I kept them as I liked the look / expression and/or it was the best shot I got of the subject.

I'm sure I should be able to do a lot better, so suggestions would be appreciated :)

I really really hope you do stick to the 52 and join it again next year @Allan.H I have always loved your truthful CC on my 52 for the last two years, plus I was actually thinking of asking if you would mentor me for the 2019 52, so please stay and help me get better.

Right...
If anyone is interested in what's kept me away from the 52 over the past few weeks, the results of my labour are:
Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/albums/72157700686153291
And Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/albums/72157699233034322

Somewhere in the region of 600 edited images over 2 weeks from a starting point of around 900 shots.
Some aren't great technically, but I kept them as I liked the look / expression and/or it was the best shot I got of the subject.

I'm sure I should be able to do a lot better, so suggestions would be appreciated :)

Wow they really put some effort into their costumes don't they? I really like the close up head shots, possibly because you lose the distraction of the bg.

Wow they really put some effort into their costumes don't they? I really like the close up head shots, possibly because you lose the distraction of the bg.
They really do, yes. And from a photographers perspective, they are great as they all want their photos taken, so are more than happy to pose.
They also are really appreciative if you have a card to give them. so they can find the photos, as so many times they never see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back