Notice TP 52'ers challenge for 2019 Discussion thread Week 52 Out takes

Shame we don't get the first one early. I'm in Tenby south wales between 26th Dec and 29th.

Any tips for a newbie? Feeling a bit nervous already! What's the ethos behind it all? Is there one? Or do we just do the best we can with the weekly theme?

Any tips for a newbie? Feeling a bit nervous already! What's the ethos behind it all? Is there one? Or do we just do the best we can with the weekly theme?

There is no need to be nervous, just go out once the theme is set and try to take a photo that works for it, and most of all just enjoy your self as it is all YOUR OWN rules.

Rule 1: Have fun

Rule 2: When in doubt - consult Rule 1.

As the other posts have said, primarily, have fun, and to get you to use your camera at least once a week.
Plus, the idea is to make you think a little, the themes sometimes have more than one meaning, interpret them as you see them,
If all else fails use a shoe horn*

*That is a very tenuous interpretation, of the theme :D

Last edited:
If in doubt, Trains or Cosplay work for every theme ;)
And when you get really, really good, at it, a gob shot :D

Reactions: LC2
A question from a newbie - do the weekly images need to be fresh out of the box or can I use one I have already taken?? Feeling just a tad daunted now that I have reread the list of themes for 2019!! Unfortunately, neither trains nor Cosplay feature in any part of my life(as yet!) but you may all be surprised at how easily flowers can be shoe-horned to fit various themes!
Any other newbies around? Could we have a collective supportive huddle? Welcome @GarethB

A question from a newbie - do the weekly images need to be fresh out of the box or can I use one I have already taken?? Feeling just a tad daunted now that I have reread the list of themes for 2019!! Unfortunately, neither trains nor Cosplay feature in any part of my life(as yet!) but you may all be surprised at how easily flowers can be shoe-horned to fit various themes!
Any other newbies around? Could we have a collective supportive huddle? Welcome @GarethB

I don't know what the official line is - but for me I see no point and no "challenge" in posting back catalogue shots. For me the challenge is to take and post a new photo each week for that week's theme.

Thanks @Scots_quine :)

As another newbie, the way I interpret it is that it can be as structured or as informal as one wishes.

Naturally for all of us, real life comes first, so time constraints mean that sometimes one cannot shoot for the theme every week, but as I understand there is no pressure except that which you impose yourself....it's all relaxed and the emphasis is on fun and learning....especially learning for me at least - I've already learned a lot in the few weeks I've been here, and I'm thick as a plank!!:D

I agree with Daves comment however, there's no challenge in posting shots from one's catalogue, unless there's no other option, but I'm sure once you begin the challenge you'll be fine.
I'm warming up for next year by tagging along for the remainder of this year's 52, and everyone here is super helpful and supportive.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
It is not a competition it is a personal challenge, do it your way and you will get out of it what you put in. You will get loads of support if you want it and nearly everyone is very friendly and helpful. Enjoy, I found it an excellent challenge for me.

Welcome aboard! The guidelines are that you should take a new image to meet the theme once it has been announced, but it's your challenge so if you are struggling and have something suitable in your back catalogue you could post one rather than get behind.

Me, I just tend to get behind instead, but that's my decision because I want to produce a fresh image for each theme. That's the challenge for me, and it gets me thinking and using my camera.

Don't feel daunted, we are a friendly bunch and we don't bite :D

First time I’ve looked at this, so in basic, we sign up, Thursday a new theme gets put up (do we get an early sneak peak anywhere ?)

Then you go out, find something that relates, post in main thread and also your personal thread ?
What happens if you miss 1-2-3 weeks on the bounce, do I get evicted or just disgraced ? Can we just carry on from another week ?

Hi @scott199, the guides are at:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...enge-for-2019-how-to-guides-and-links.688193/

To answer your specific questions:

1. so in basic, we sign up, Thursday a new theme gets put up (do we get an early sneak peak anywhere ?)
The theme goes up each Thursday, you don't get a sneak peek except that the list of possible themes for the year is located at:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tp-52ers-challenge-for-2019-list-of-weekly-themes.688196/

2. Then you go out, find something that relates, post in main thread and also your personal thread ?
Yes - Have a read of
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/adding-a-linky-to-your-post-or-page.109/
If you haven't already for a guide on how to link your main thread post to your personal thread post.​

3. What happens if you miss 1-2-3 weeks on the bounce, do I get evicted or just disgraced ? Can we just carry on from another week ?
It's your own personal challenge, so if you miss a few weeks and then carry on, that's up to you.
Some push themselves to post a new picture for the theme in that week every week, others will get a bit behind and catch up.
If/when it becomes obvious that someone has dropped out, then they get moved to the Wall of Shame in the *stats* spreadsheet
One new *ask* from the guide for this year is
Only the current weeks image is to be posted on the image thread, catch-ups can be added as a link under the current weeks image.
The idea behind this is (*I think*) to prevent large blocks of catch up shots from a single person appearing in the main thread. You can obviously drip feed or block post catch-ups in your own thread however you like​

Most importantly... Get your camera out, take photos and have fun :)

Last edited:
First time I’ve looked at this, so in basic, we sign up, Thursday a new theme gets put up (do we get an early sneak peak anywhere ?)

Then you go out, find something that relates, post in main thread and also your personal thread ?
What happens if you miss 1-2-3 weeks on the bounce, do I get evicted or just disgraced ? Can we just carry on from another week ?

:welcome: As Tim said. Have fun and enjoy the challenge.
A4LjIvz.gif

do we get an early sneak peak anywhere ?
Fivers in a brown envelope to the usual address works but apart from that ... Nope :D
The themes are usually "out" by early afternoon on a Thursday, Tim @LC2 covered the rest (y)

The themes are usually "out" by early afternoon on a Thursday...

Whilst I certainly do not condone animal cruelty of any kind, I have, however, been reliably informed that poking the snakey one is an occasional necessity in order to expedite theme title delivery!:D

Thanks @Cobra and @LC2 for your continued hard work, 2019 will be a corker. :)

Last edited:
Fivers in a brown envelope to the usual address works but apart from that ... Nope :D
The themes are usually "out" by early afternoon on a Thursday, Tim @LC2 covered the rest (y)

Send @Cobra a bunch of fivers, and still get a terrible theme :D

Thanks to Tim @LC2 the spread sheet, score sheet keep a track of what people are upto sheet is HERE
Obviously there is nothing to see at the moment just a list of victims :D

That's now 30 confirmed on the starting blocks ready for the off (y)

TBH I'm not sure, I'll think about it, but the bloke that draws the themes can be a right arse with the selections at times

Last edited:
Back