TP 52'ers Class of 2016 Discussion thread Week 52 we made it! time to celebrate /( celebrations)

Yeah, and you'll see 90% battery ;)
OK so that's gotta go then, lets get down and dirty as they say (y)

Or cut to the chase and take the front off? rear entry isn't always the way to go you know (y)

Last edited:
.... rear entry isn't always the way to go you know (y)

of course it is viable option.... nip up the back passage... walk in backwards through the gift shop... go in the back door... might be tight at times but if the decorators are next door, who can blame you...

BUT this weeks theme..... i'd have preferred shopping tbh.... so much tech... where do you start that won't be taken by everyone else...still.. could be worse...

(y)(y)

Only 171 lenses available Paul, which ones are you going for? .... for starters?

Well, it's funny you should ask because I already have my starter list prepared more or less in order of what I want to get & when...

I'll make do with an old Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for a short while but I've decided to "go prime" as they say at Amazon

1. Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G Lens bought (arriving shortly after the body) - managed to get a new grey one for £255 :)
2. Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G Lens - cheap "walkaround" prime and should be able to pick up for about £100
3. Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED Lens or a 20mm version depending on what's available in good condition second hand - this will be my most expensive lens so far but I'm hoping to pick up for around £300 give or take

Although I don't shoot much at/around 35mm I'll probably look to pick up a 35mm f/1.8 Nikon but that represents the smallest proportion of my shooting, historically. The alternative would be to sell the 20/24mm lens above and get a Sigma 24-35mm f2 DG HSM Art Lens :) It works out about the same price as two good primes and the only downside I think is distortion which is obviously correctable in post.

I don't really shoot anything over 100mm (FX) so that keeps the cost of my lens collection down nicely :)

I also have a handful of Pentax lenses to sell to help fund this - the intention would be to keep the kit 18-55 WR lens and maybe my Sigma 70mm macro which I rather like.

1. Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G Lens bought (arriving shortly after the body) - managed to get a new grey one for £255 :)
2. Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G Lens - cheap "walkaround" prime and should be able to pick up for about £100
3. Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED Lens or a 20mm version depending on what's available in good condition second hand - this will be my most expensive lens so far but I'm hoping to pick up for around £300 give or take
I always suspected that you were crazy, Paul, and now you have confirmed it!
1) climbing mountains "because they are there"
2) buying Nikon "because you can"

:canon:

:D

Enjoy your new toys (y)

Well, it's funny you should ask because I already have my starter list prepared more or less in order of what I want to get & when...

I'll make do with an old Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for a short while but I've decided to "go prime" as they say at Amazon

Although I don't shoot much at/around 35mm I'll probably look to pick up a 35mm f/1.8 Nikon but that represents the smallest proportion of my shooting, historically. The alternative would be to sell the 20/24mm lens above and get a Sigma 24-35mm f2 DG HSM Art Lens :) It works out about the same price as two good primes and the only downside I think is distortion which is obviously correctable in post.

I don't really shoot anything over 100mm (FX) so that keeps the cost of my lens collection down nicely :)

I also have a handful of Pentax lenses to sell to help fund this - the intention would be to keep the kit 18-55 WR lens and maybe my Sigma 70mm macro which I rather like.

Oh that interesting, but ....

1.8G, 1.8G. 1.8G ... I thought G lenses were really designed for Nikon DX (cropped sensor) models. o_O

And AF-S means they're made for bodies without an AF motor. o_O

I'll make you an offer on the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G :sneaky:

Oh that interesting, but ....

1.8G, 1.8G. 1.8G ... I thought G lenses were really designed for Nikon DX (cropped sensor) models. o_O

And AF-S means they're made for bodies without an AF motor. o_O

I'll make you an offer on the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G :sneaky:

Bear in mind I'm a bit new to this Nikon lark and haven't worked out what all the acronyms etc. mean!

But... the G just means without an aperture ring I think? And the AFS is the one with the focusing motor in the lens, which means it should be very slightly faster, more accurate and quieter to AF? So yes, they're essential for the bodies without the screwdrive but also theoretically slightly better on the D750 etc. But for me, it's the optics that are supposed to be slightly better on those than the AF D versions which preceded them.

I'll let you know if I ever sell the 85mm but it's likely to be only if I upgrade to the f/1.4... which won't be any time soon since I have better things to spend lens money on!

But... the G just means without an aperture ring I think? And the AFS is the one with the focusing motor in the lens, which means it should be very slightly faster, more accurate and quieter to AF? So yes, they're essential for the bodies without the screwdrive but also theoretically slightly better on the D750 etc. But for me, it's the optics that are supposed to be slightly better on those than the AF D versions which preceded them.

Hmmmm ... best wait for advice from a true Nikonian.

With Nikon lens the usually have DX on them if the are for cropped sensor (DX) bodies (Well thats what I've always believed anyway)

I think the G lenses are for FX (full frame) cameras and have camera controlled aperture setting only. AF-S stands for autofocus silent wave motor.
Yep, absolutely true ... G is the way forward for DX & FX

Last edited:
EVENING ALL !!!

Sheet is up to date, my pics are up to date, my comments are not but hope to catch up this week <fingers crossed>... I was going to start tonight but Soooooooo tired so going to bed, night all :wave:

I was pondering the whole “52” thing and I was struck by a similar but slightly different approach for a challenge, I’m not sure if this is correct place to post this but since it is somewhat related and since people here are up for a challenge I thought I’d float this idea.

The idea is similar to the 52 in that subjects are selected at random but the subjects are all common-place things, such as a car, a tree, a shop, a hat, a cake, a bridge etc., things to which everyone in the challenge has access and the aim is to make a photo that says something about the subject, so for example not necessarily a photo of just a car but a photo involving a car. It would of course be open to interpretation and personally I am quite keen on the “no rules” approach to these challenges but the spirit of it would be to use the selected subject as a key part of the composition.

Obviously this is a bit more restrictive than the current 52 approach and I’m not sure if I would want to do it every week given that getting the specific subject in good light etc. might not be an option in a given week and it might also want a bit of splitting up so that subjects than can be shot indoors occur more in winter. I also think doing it over a slower timeframe might allow a set of images to be created if people wanted.

I guess this could be done alongside a 52, or I even thought that may be say the first pick of each month could be from this bag rather than the “normal” 52 bag, people could then just treat it as part of the normal 52 or as whatever this challenge is.

Anyway, having got that bee out of my bonnet, is it going to fly?

Well I'm always up for a challenge Chris so I'd be happy to join in, I guess you would just have to decide who runs the thread, would it be yourself? Also were you thinking individual threads as now, or just one long continuous one where people hop in as and when, that would probably be the easiest option.

I was pondering the whole “52” thing and I was struck by a similar but slightly different approach for a challenge, I’m not sure if this is correct place to post this but since it is somewhat related and since people here are up for a challenge I thought I’d float this idea.

The idea is similar to the 52 in that subjects are selected at random but the subjects are all common-place things, such as a car, a tree, a shop, a hat, a cake, a bridge etc., things to which everyone in the challenge has access and the aim is to make a photo that says something about the subject, so for example not necessarily a photo of just a car but a photo involving a car. It would of course be open to interpretation and personally I am quite keen on the “no rules” approach to these challenges but the spirit of it would be to use the selected subject as a key part of the composition.

Obviously this is a bit more restrictive than the current 52 approach and I’m not sure if I would want to do it every week given that getting the specific subject in good light etc. might not be an option in a given week and it might also want a bit of splitting up so that subjects than can be shot indoors occur more in winter. I also think doing it over a slower timeframe might allow a set of images to be created if people wanted.

I guess this could be done alongside a 52, or I even thought that may be say the first pick of each month could be from this bag rather than the “normal” 52 bag, people could then just treat it as part of the normal 52 or as whatever this challenge is.

I like the idea. :) I generally enjoy shooting animated subjects (people and animals) more than still objects, but it doesn't hurt to have more practice shooting things I normally wouldn't bother to. How about making it a "12" challenge - one photo a month, so that it can be separate from the 52 and still be manageable for people who want to do both?

On a side note, I had been thinking I'd like to see more adjectives in the 52 (like the Happy we did) because I think adjectives are fun to interpret. :)

I'd be up for giving it a go

I like the idea. :) I generally enjoy shooting animated subjects (people and animals) more than still objects, but it doesn't hurt to have more practice shooting things I normally wouldn't bother to. How about making it a "12" challenge - one photo a month, so that it can be separate from the 52 and still be manageable for people who want to do both?

On a side note, I had been thinking I'd like to see more adjectives in the 52 (like the Happy we did) because I think adjectives are fun to interpret. :)

I like the idea of a monthly challenge

Oh, by the way, just wanted to say I'm sorry I've fallen behind on commenting on photos but I promise I will catch up soon! :p And thanks again to everyone who have commented on mine. :)

Yes, I like that idea too, Chris.

Without wanting to add more (and different) suggestions into the mix, I had another thought regarding challenges and developing our photography skills.

One of the things I struggle with is putting together a pleasing image - you know, a "picture" which hangs together and just works. Looking at great photos, they aren't always absolutely perfect technically (although many are that too) but they tell either a story or give you a sense of the moment. Cartier Bresson is one of the most obvious examples of the power of a photo to convey, rather than just being a "scientific" facsimile of what was in front of you when you pressed the shutter.

So, a challenge where a "classic" or award-winning photo is put up as the inspiration and everyone has to apply their take to that. It could be an attempt to reproduce the shot or it could be taking certain aspects (the general subject matter, the composition or even just the colour tones) and replicating those in a different capture. A simple case in point would be this photo of the year (http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m.../w01_Richardson_Hope/main_1500.jpg?1455819856) which is certainly not technically perfect but offers so many opportunities to replicate a mood, a style, the grainyness, parent & child scenes, division etc. etc.

Likewise Countryfile photos of the year (and even contenders) offer great images to use as a base to challenge ourselves to make our own pleasing photos with strong composition. This image (http://cdn2.countryfile.com/sites/default/files/uploads/14/Photo comp May 13.jpg) has some classic compositional elements which most of us could replicate in an image, even if we couldn't find a badger to get in the shot :)

The reason for suggesting this is that learning what makes and then copying elements from great photos should be a good way to improve our own composition. Having a bit of a guide / example and then seeing lots of replicas (albeit quite different replicas) with some but not all aspects from that guide might give us all a clearer idea of what makes some photos so powerful.

Or maybe it's a rubbish idea!

:)

I think that's maybe a separate idea Paul, the one suggested by Chris seems to offer a bit more freedom, if it got too technical it would definitely rule me out, but I'll just go with the flow :)

Yup makes sense :) And to be honest, I can do that challenge I suggested myself and just post up the inspiration image followed by my own interpretation and recapture...

..... are all common-place things, such as a car, a tree, a shop, a hat, a cake, a bridge etc., things to which everyone in the challenge has access and the aim is to make a photo that says something about the subject, so for example not necessarily a photo of just a car but a photo involving a car. It would of course be open to interpretation and personally I am quite keen on the “no rules” approach to these challenges but the spirit of it would be to use the selected subject as a key part of the composition.

... so nouns ... a car, a tree, a shop, a hat, a cake, a bridge, instead of adverbs, adjectives, words open to interpretation. And the creativity is in the composition!

Hmmm ... I might find a use for my criminally unused wide angle lens.

I'm in. :D

Well I'm always up for a challenge Chris so I'd be happy to join in, I guess you would just have to decide who runs the thread, would it be yourself? Also were you thinking individual threads as now, or just one long continuous one where people hop in as and when, that would probably be the easiest option.
:runaway: That'll teach me, I'm a bloke, I hadn't really thought about things like organising it :exit:

I guess I can just about manage to pull a word out of a bag once a month, how hard can that be? o_O

Perhaps a thread per theme? It might reduce the amount of crossed photos and comments but I like the idea of having all images and comments in a thread.

@Winter, once a month sounds good, gives some thinking time and some shooting time. There is nothing to say we can't have some animated topics, pets, people, cyclists? On the adjective thing, I think I was heading somewhat in the other direction, I find I have so much freedom with some of the 52 topics that I struggle to focus on the photography.

@Downton Mini - welcome aboard, assuming there is something to get aboard

Or maybe it's a rubbish idea!
:)
I don't think that is a rubbish idea at all however I think it would be hard to choose photographers to emulate whose style would suit a group of people. I'll probably get drummed out of here for saying this but I don't really "get" Cartier-Bresson's work and I think I would struggle to make the effort to copy something that I didn't really understand. However I think there is a link up, if the subject is, say a car, then you could find a top car photographer and do something in their style.

And the creativity is in the composition!
You put that a lot more succinctly than I, you better stat polishing that wide angle lens.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and comments, looks like I've stuck my head too far above the parapet. If we are to get this going there would seem to be two things to decide
  1. what we call it? I was thinking something like "Say something about..." so for example you would have a thread called "Say something about a car"
  2. A list of common place things, I've suggested some above but to make it fairly random I guess we could do with about 20 to 30 for the rest of the year.
Rather than clogging up the 52 discussion with this I think I'll start a new thread to discuss getting this off the ground. I'll do that and post a link to it from here.

Is it me...or is it weds already... which means Thurs tomorrow...where has the week gone..??? Coz that snake will be rummaging through his bag again........won't he.... I mean.... too soon right....even though I got technology in fast..... yikes...

Is it me...or is it weds already... which means Thurs tomorrow...where has the week gone..??? Coz that snake will be rummaging through his bag again........won't he.... I mean.... too soon right....even though I got technology in fast..... yikes...

No it's just you. Here it's Wednesday today :D

Only kidding... I just wish it was with the amount of stuff I have to do before the end of the week!

No it's just you. Here it's Wednesday today :D

Only kidding... I just wish it was with the amount of stuff I have to do before the end of the week!

Don't do that!!!! I seriously scrambled for the sun dial, hourglass and a copy Percy's almanac of apocalyptic events thinking it was still weds and I was caught in groundhog day....forever!! :(

Back