weekly TPDK's 52 of 2017 - Wk 49 to 52 Added and COMPLETE

Height 1- Creamy tones, spiral draws the eye in - upside down vertigo - works for me.

Heigh 2 - Good reflection and view point but as my office used to look down on the Eye as they were building it it never seemed that high to me.

DK, WEEK 45 Height starircase is an amazing shot, I really like that, hope you do to ?
Thank you Mark :)

Yes I do like it (y)

Height 1- Creamy tones, spiral draws the eye in - upside down vertigo - works for me.
Thank you David :)

Heigh 2 - Good reflection and view point but as my office used to look down on the Eye as they were building it it never seemed that high to me.
That's a point, other than I think you must have been VERY high, as it is High :D

Thank you David :)

That's a point, other than I think you must have been VERY high, as it is High :D

23rd floor office looking down onto Jubilee Gardens - was interesting watching the 2 stages of the lift of the wheel, of course had to look up at the capsules when they finished.

And to keep me up to date'ish after spending the weekend on the house again, I decided to take a trip down the road and get a pic overlooking the broads, tried a few different spots but waited for and was happy to get some colour in the sky whilst keeping level'ish with the reeds to get some detail in the foreground and silhouetted shapes on the horizon, as well as an added bonus of flock of birds (Though I waited ages for the to get a tad closer but no luck), all in all I feel it does reflect the remoteness of the area with nothing for miles.

Week 46 - Remote

Week 46 - Remote by TP DK, on Flickr

Very nice Dean, lovely sky, I agree with Tim about the distant birds adding to the remoteness

It certainly does give the feeling of remoteness.
Ref the bird, I actually think having them in the distance helps re-enforce the remote feel of the shot.
I also am loving the range of colours in the sky. Splendid (y)
Ooo thank you Tim, I did ponder whether to crop the shot so you could see them better, glad I didn't now :)
Very nice Dean, lovely sky, I agree with Tim about the distant birds adding to the remoteness
And thanks too Chris, Guess it was the right decision to not crop :)

And onto this weeks theme, just a quick drive out today to grab a shot, nothing exciting I just went for the theme with a shallow DoF, trying to give enough to read the sign and focus on the machine behind the herras fencing, alas a Sunday so no activity but hey, cant be fussy...

Anyway, I did the editing and found that that didn't work as well as I hoped, so I chose a shot of the opposite, the narrow DoF focussed on the sign and the machinery out of focus, I feel this works better for the theme :)

Week 47 - Build

Week 47 - Build by TP DK, on Flickr

Certainly says build not sure what you other attempt would have looked like but its your pic and your decision so obviously the better one

The DoF certainly works on that one, the eye is drawn to the sign while the background emphasises the theme, nicely done.

Remote - works for me - I've been 'lost' in reed beds they feel really remote whwn that is all you can see.

Certainly says build not sure what you other attempt would have looked like but its your pic and your decision so obviously the better one
Thanks Allan :)

If I remember tonight I will post up one the other way :)

Like your take on this one Dean, on theme and good clear shot of the sign while the oof machines in the BG say build.
Cheers Dave :)

The DoF certainly works on that one, the eye is drawn to the sign while the background emphasises the theme, nicely done.
Thanks too Chris :)

Remote - works for me - I've been 'lost' in reed beds they feel really remote whwn that is all you can see.
Thank you David, it certainly does feel like that, very peaceful indeed :)

Good idea to focus on the sign to emphasise the theme.
Cheers Stan (y)

Really liking the remote photo Dean, the hint of colour and flock of birds make it, a lovely picture!
Thank you Michael :)
Build, spot on for the theme, a good choice using the sign as the focus point.
Thanks again mate (y)

A very effective 'build' shot. I'm taking a nosey at people's 2017 entries and getting a feel for the talent. Since your the organiser doesn't that mean you can't win? o_O:D

'sup, DOF works well and choosing to focus on the sign works well. Has a tilt shift feel to it. I'd prefer a crop of the RHS as I don't feel it adds to the photograph.

Cheers.

Nice find, interesting approach, but ..... it kind of makes me wonder about your other options. I may have tried to make something of those beams with bolts top right. Hmmm maybe with oof but readable yellow sign in FG.

But hey ... I do like it.

A very effective 'build' shot. I'm taking a nosey at people's 2017 entries and getting a feel for the talent. Since your the organiser doesn't that mean you can't win? o_O:D
Thank you :)

To be honest I am just another entrant, who helps out by doing the spreadsheet each year... @Cobra is the organiser (or should that be dis-organiser :whistle:) - Unfortunately there is nothing to win other than ones own satisfaction each week and at the end of the year :)

'sup, DOF works well and choosing to focus on the sign works well. Has a tilt shift feel to it. I'd prefer a crop of the RHS as I don't feel it adds to the photograph.

Cheers.
Hey Andy :)

Thank you, glad you like it, I see what you mean about the RH side, yes it adds nothing but I was trying to keep the sign on the middle/third, do you think it would work a bit further to the side ??

Nice find, interesting approach, but ..... it kind of makes me wonder about your other options. I may have tried to make something of those beams with bolts top right. Hmmm maybe with oof but readable yellow sign in FG.

But hey ... I do like it.
Thanks David :)

Liking your first idea, the second one I will post up a version tomorrow when I have my PC on (lappy with feet up at the moment :))

Like that DK, oddly, I tried something along those likes for mine, but the kit lens (I tend to leave the 18-135 on for walkabout) didn't let me get the blur I wanted. So, I'm going to say splendid (y)
Cool, Thank you Tim :cool:

Shame yours didn't get the effect you were after :)

So, here is one of my failed attempts of OOF sign and in-focus MEWP, minimal editing done but just posted as a comparison, interested to know what you think, if I made the right last moment choice :)

In its defence, I think if the machine was in use the shot like this would be more powerful ??

Buil FAIL by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
And onto this weeks shot, just a quick and simple product type image, my main considerations were to get pastel colours, even lighting and descent grounding shadows, in that respect I am happy, albeit not the most exciting image :D

Best viewed large on flickr as always :)

Week 48 - Juicy

Week 48 - Juicy by TP DK, on Flickr

Youve done well there Dean...would have liked to see a pull back of this, as I enjoy desktop stuff and havne yet mastered the lighting.....

Youve done well there Dean...would have liked to see a pull back of this, as I enjoy desktop stuff and havne yet mastered the lighting.....
Thank you Mark :)

Here you go, nothing special, A3 copy paper (3 or 4 sheets so not transparent) clipped to a beauty dish type thingy to get an infinity curve...

Juicy - Set-up by TP DK, on Flickr

Cheers, looks like you have great daylight there, certainly more than I get in the house...

Cheers, looks like you have great daylight there, certainly more than I get in the house...
It was dark outside, my lights were on modelling mode and I have daylight strip lights too :D

Shot with Softbox above right on about 1/3 power.. second light through a white brolley above left (about 1/2 power)

Last edited:
Back