weekly Turbo-G's 2019 52 challenge - COMPLETE!

Good take on the theme, that. Good authentic old feel to it

The timing of this shot is what turns this into something great for me. Has the lady cleaning in the window in a moment of thought with the bustle of conversation still continuing behind. The grain and vignette finishes it off well (y)

Clean - I like the dof with the focus on the suds in the bucket and just the right amount on the cars. Nice light too. My other half always uses the two bucket method too. I was hoping he would get out and clean his car but it was to miserable weather wise here. Glad he didn't now as it wouldn't have been as good as this :D

Open - Very nicely done. You managed to catch the perfect moment with the lady cleaning in the right place so you can still see the conversation going on the the bg. A few seconds later and you would have missed it. The only slightly distracting thing for me is the patchy shiny bit at the bottom. I think it must be the light reflecting of the window frame outside. :D

New-lovely image, pehaps a tad dark. I find the bokeh balls a bit distracting
Clean-I like the composition, the use of dof and I actually like the grainy look which I guess is noise.
Open-nice and atmospheric. I'm generally not a great fan of strong vignetettes, but it works well here.

Hi Grant,

New - A very nice shot with vivid colours. I like the bokeh in the background. It does appear a little dark as a whole for me though.
Clean - Perfect for the theme. I like the foreground car with the lights on but I find the background lights are a bit of a draw for my eye.
Open - Really like this. Perfect capture into what looks like a slow night in the bar beyond.

Week 3 Image is great. love the way it draws you in to the main subject. Good Exposure

Week 4 - Distant
Not exactly what I had in mind (ran out of time!) - but the idea was simple, grab a semi-abstract street shot after work, utilising the bokeh from the street lights and car headlights in the distance, as my interpretation of “distant”...
Location Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany. Shot with my X100F again.

I had something more colourful and overall better to share, but sadly I took that last week during WK3 - and didint want to cheat myself!
Week_04_Distant by Grant Archer, on Flickr

Grant, it makes me want to go out and buy the Fuji x100f. If this was just a grabbed shot then I’ve still got a long way to go. I like this one a lot.

Grant, it makes me want to go out and buy the Fuji x100f. If this was just a grabbed shot then I’ve still got a long way to go. I like this one a lot.
Thank you for the kind words. X100F is a great little camera - my plan for this year is for it to become a daily carry, which will certainly help on this project!

Very cool image and fits the theme perfectly!
Inspired use of bokeh....love the way the distant lights converge!
Great detail and textures on the stone wall in the foreground!
The more I look, the more I like this image!
Great work Grant.(y)

Very cool image and fits the theme perfectly!
Inspired use of bokeh....love the way the distant lights converge!
Great detail and textures on the stone wall in the foreground!
The more I look, the more I like this image!
Great work Grant.(y)
Thank you Gareth!

I agree with everyone's comments. Maybe the stone wall could take up less space in the photo, but still a cracking image for this week.

I don't mind this one bit. Great use of the lights in the distance for the effect and I like the slightly grainy noise to it - definately on theme

Excellent image Grant!
Love the reflections of the blue sky.
I can really sense the crispness of the cold air, and the light you had was fab!
The log in the foreground is well placed and leads the eye nicely.
A well taken image.(y)

Excellent image Grant!
Love the reflections of the blue sky.
I can really sense the crispness of the cold air, and the light you had was fab!
The log in the foreground is well placed and leads the eye nicely.
A well taken image.(y)
Thank you Gareth! The fallen silver birch is what caught my eye initially actually, before I got down low to take the image.

Yes, a great shot for COLD. I may have tried to avoid that stumpy branch top left: it draws my eye to it. But maybe it's just me!

Yes, a great shot for COLD. I may have tried to avoid that stumpy branch top left: it draws my eye to it. But maybe it's just me!
It does me too - but I didn’t really notice originally when taking it unfortunately. Think I would have struggled to lose it without getting much closer to the log tbh...

Cold
A nice bright, crisp, cold looking day.
I would probably remove the sticky out bit in the top left corner.

Like the image, I think you would of struggled to take the shot without the branch on the top left. Perhaps a crop just under, just my thoughts

Don't be afraid of a crop, we're not all Jared Polin's ;)
I agree with Bob about the stump top left, I think the fact it is dead straight with a sawn off end is the issue.
I like how the log in the foreground leads into the only bit of clear water in the shot (though perhaps would have brightened it up a bit?)

Very nice, Gareth. The blue tones and reflections immediately convey the feeling of icy cold, and the log is perfectly placed in the foreground. It is a slight shame about the one in the top left corner but I'm guessing you couldn't move it :)
Thanks - totally agree, I might try and remove it in PS at some point, if I ever print this one.

Week 6 - Waiting (B&W)
This week I had the idea of capturing one of our 3 cats through the window, a familiar position for them... Waiting for us to get home? Waiting to be fed? Waiting to have their portrait taken? :)

Taken with my Nikon D750, and Nikon 50mm f1/8, and processed in B&W for the first "technique".

Week_06_Waiting_B+W_0363 by Grant Archer, on Flickr

Back