weekly d00d's 52 in 2016 ... week 52 celebration

As others have said a very well executed topical photo, like the little rhyme too.

A nice sideways look at topical (y)

( for what its worth I hate the theme too :( )

Oh no...there's everyone's back up plan gone to pot! (Well...it was mine, anyway :p ) Our cream was looking a lot more crumpled and a lot less photogenic though :)

A thousand times this.
There's been a couple of shots already posted that forced me to re-think :LOL:

@d00d Very nicely done :)

Nice one David... it's a well-lit product shot and for the me the oozing cream adds something to the shot, as does the lid. The only thing I'd be tempted to do, looking at your image is to add a bit of depth to it by using a lighter background which allows shadows or maybe even a dark reflective surface like smoked glass or shiny black marble? A reflection or a shadow would really add something for me - your nice soft lighting works well on the subject though.

I really like your take on dangerous, the motion adding to a sense of danger.

Wow quick off the mark with the next theme I've only just posted dangerous :) Have to say I must be missing something because I really don't see topical.

Edit : Scratch that, Ive just read the poem :D
(y)
Nice little poem. :p And congrats on being the first in with the topical cream. :p
(y)
Oh no...there's everyone's back up plan gone to pot! (Well...it was mine, anyway :p ) Our cream was looking a lot more crumpled and a lot less photogenic though :)
I started with a crumpled tube then found this past use by date new tube. (y)
Hi d00d, not liking the theme either, had to look up why topical too, nice whites and fine for the theme
(y)
You've done a lovely job on this matey. Sharp and well lit. I don't like the top off and dribbling cream though...
(y)
Topical - well it's bang on theme, pin sharp, nicely done.
(y)
Moving into product photography for drugs companies are we d00d? ;)
Well taken shot. Ticks the boxes for a technically good photo and with this week's theme, if you say it's topical, then it's topical.
(y)
Topical, on theme...but doesn't grab me, I'm afraid. You can do better David, maybe something else will come to mind over the week.
Cheers.
(y) ... it's not the kind of photography I enjoy most. If I post another very different pic later in the week we'll have you to blame.
I'm envious how you got that tube quite as sharp ... and the white is spot on too. Makes a surprisingly nice image of a tube of cream. As for the poetry, set it to music and you're made. :clap:
cheers Carl (y) I used indirect natural daylight, 100 ISO, f.16, 8 secs. The only PP was removing a couple of white specks from the BG.

As others have said a very well executed topical photo, like the little rhyme too.
(y)
A nice sideways look at topical (y)

( for what its worth I hate the theme too :( )
(y)
I was confused at first, then I read the poem.
Well shot and executed
(y)
A thousand times this.
There's been a couple of shots already posted that forced me to re-think :LOL:

@d00d Very nicely done :)
(y)
Didn't know you were a poet d00d ....oh just read it, obviously you're not :ROFLMAO:

Well it doesn't get much more on theme than that ...as super sharp, slippery, smooth shot :)
(y)
I was a poet
and I knew it
till you told me
I wasn't
Ha Haaaa, you lyrical dude Dood :D

Cream, fit for the theme for sure mate (y)
(y)
Nice one David... it's a well-lit product shot and for the me the oozing cream adds something to the shot, as does the lid. The only thing I'd be tempted to do, looking at your image is to add a bit of depth to it by using a lighter background which allows shadows or maybe even a dark reflective surface like smoked glass or shiny black marble? A reflection or a shadow would really add something for me - your nice soft lighting works well on the subject though.
Thanks Paul (y) I know what you mean, I first tried a lower POV with OOF jars, the wife's lipstick and stuff in the BG. Then decided to raise the POV to include all the writing clearly on the tube. It could be more exciting, I know.

Hi David, a quick visit and catch-up from me on my first visit to your thread. I'll try to keep up to date from now on!

Old - catches the eye straightaway with those bold colours and lovely squares in the window. Off to a strong start for the year.
Metal - both bang on theme, but my favourite is 2 because all that rust, with such strong colours and texture, shouts 'metal' to me. Always a great subject to shout, and the angle leads the eyes through the image.
Captive - made me smile immediately. What a clever idea, really well executed. There's something going on with the WB, as noted by others and yourself, but I love the set up and the humour - really well done :clap:
Miniature - another imaginative idea, and your composition leads the gaze through the image to the small book.
Happy - a lovely take on the theme, and tells the story very simply and clearly. Maybe a touch too much black space to the right for me, but I love the textures and contrast of the wood and the chalk.
Abandoned - the second one for me! Although they're both good images and on theme, and the banana contrasts nicely with the tiles, I think the low angle and the wide sweep of the second, combined with the girl on the LHS to balance the abandoned tray, grab my attention and work together really well as an image. Well seen (y)
Camouflage and Topical are both spot on for the themes and well captured, but the standout image in these latest ones is Dangerous. It's really striking and needs no explanation, indeed it would make an effective poster because it's so bold and clear about the message. The fact that you included moving traffic would have been enough by itself, but to get a big red bus 'streaking' through the scene is the cherry on top. Really good idea, perfectly done :clap:

I've enjoyed looking through your thread and will be following and keeping up to date with you from now on :)

Last edited:
:) Good take, a nice simple image.
(y)
Hi David, a quick visit and catch-up from me on my first visit to your thread. I'll try to keep up to date from now on!

Old - catches the eye straightaway with those bold colours and lovely squares in the window. Off to a strong start for the year.
Metal - both bang on theme, but my favourite is 2 because all that rust, with such strong colours and texture, shouts 'metal' to me. Always a great subject to shout, and the angle leads the eyes through the image.
Captive - made me smile immediately. What a clever idea, really well executed. There's something going on with the WB, as noted by others and yourself, but I love the set up and the humour - really well done :clap:
Miniature - another imaginative idea, and your composition leads the gaze through the image to the small book.
Happy - a lovely take on the theme, and tells the story very simply and clearly. Maybe a touch too much black space to the right for me, but I love the textures and contrast of the wood and the chalk.
Abandoned - the second one for me! Although they're both good images and on theme, and the banana contrasts nicely with the tiles, I think the low angle and the wide sweep of the second, combined with the girl on the LHS to balance the abandoned tray, grab my attention and work together really well as an image. Well seen (y)
Camouflage and Topical are both spot on for the themes and well captured, but the standout image in these latest ones is Dangerous. It's really striking and needs no explanation, indeed it would make an effective poster because it's so bold and clear about the message. The fact that you included moving traffic would have been enough by itself, but to get a big red bus 'streaking' through the scene is the cherry on top. Really good idea, perfectly done :clap:

I've enjoyed looking through your thread and will be following and keeping up to date with you from now on :)
Andrea ... so pleased to see you ... with your wonderful feedback. Thanks so much. :wave:

Bonus pic ...

Westminster this morning.

XV72XVgNQNTW_xsoDnVtbtMl2XaGuKgo9R45ODxhvq2Rslda8LSpRsH-OWxZ7BZAmWADna43DaNctla1PvW3Xiysz5Rr95CB-inxDmh18Dn99MbMc0gpBab8JxbdNIhC6fuQ0oVeWJJzuphHQVSy9Iue65V2gE1Ek0GHW8TWb0eyi33CHOTvfbDEn8-ZiT_bAogZVUsyI7_LHI7ebZlHvcSXL7SmNFWJnRm2t36tzYQoZi73OAUYVM7MT3atI_NN9fPq6pUUrPPWmXcdTm2tr4rpi2RjEKYzF_gblgMq6boHhcDfnkLbsnza_rQuxHaYpFG7ZYRyVBl68JfZddn3pZQr8YaEaF6iPXXfuyWRUyss9lSmq4R6cR4R2NKLGLh8xQzIhDa8S0CaIIfux2qaSYWphSDABRGyEfDDr_ANAvWsc0hiTHZFwgWDaEzsXeu0_GWLjwdgmrgZqri7btLnegUNkVcJYZiv1TbkQ9Mr37NXHBHD0ZexPNS7p-sssj4b4SNg0oTNQs7gGFtq91zameqEwLVinCPmiFYmG8n2wrmRLV07o7h3UzSPsrpv3HL60WON=w755-h893-no

Last edited:
Very topical, and well exposed. Funky angle as well

A* :)

Cheers.
(y) ... subtle use of on-camera HDR and I'm very pleased with the result. These flags are always shot with the red brick BG ... nice to get a different perspective. And trees pruned last year look suitably weird.

Last edited:
Very interesting composition David and nicely taken with those slightly quirky trees and lovely blue sky in the bg. Excellent Topical.

First image very clever a nice simple image., prefer the 2nd image for the colours

I was a poet
Down Smith Sq.
A place where poets
Don't oft go
On a mission
At the EU Com mission
'appy as Larry
'till it rained

Last edited:
On camera HDR
Makes your image better by far
Photo of flags, sky and tree
Works very well for me

Last edited:
Very topical David, I like the composition and good colours too.

Thanks all for your comments on the flags, not least Chris @sirch for the rhyme :). I was just trying to get a different angle on those two flags, otherwise always shot like HERE on this webpage.

sorry, two again ... for Week 9 The Living Word, I took a people pic up the west end yesterday, plus I had to include an archive shot taken a couple of months back in Hyde Park.

Week 9 The Living Word #1
1pie8DYN3fBUb9EnVvU6fkN8e6cUMmEO7JbtetZqKl67QkkpE6Vr-j1KrIXwf2S6FvUEYXtgaczFHU5c-ziAHYN_1uE8at-S28_nXFZtxBUtuHb_evCSUxbhXx0s09v_2IIlYDEUhT8VS0feskWEA1rDxIPn3uoLAq0uRjwkpl_PioMkw7-BCARFRg3O-a-lQlHF69lNhiRRH9NmM3KoR2QOLT3aJBJffZlHN_562RVcVIPPUxnzGH3Y8pBAuvUgoUSIcdsrL4TfsxO100X__SDIbjA6JxdIP04CDGjAOzlwa-qDYZCR38qe1kBJXXSPfI766yJ9brzjK6htG01XBh1czL8rpyAxtAylh4Rr7qNDEO_8qc4rLlS8dWcQhR0EwoK53__31H-ydrKIh28kBG7b4-wwMnOe3iTCjZCq69__1nVKdmxM47FbJl4wYV6p7puxk1K40gIEgMaNCywu2pvr710XjWN3WWtOD-m24_x4w1QtmRQk5jEoEBIsEqeMdmkJVxWnM-MRuG88fXrlAViCNiKmD-Tpov1NF4SKjSaLL90drH_wOalmtBgRNf3Fr8ms=w1920-h765-no

Week 9 The Living Word #2
gKp183jPDNTNkFozsFi20iVb865RHSBx2kiiwJbDxjuDseVGDdRTOP25kZeb5Y_4qMg3kFczPnVN-uDH-RnH0Tjk2_EJv_0fGWg7XVpRK6UKpAvYXRAJ6m8PASYKhYjIrsvn6cZ_oW8g2ZSHd-grrBnuxC_DEMyERHzi_Z0Wr7MZI_dH5GfjSQWncI395B4JrQGUWwdKpygbIshwRTKKX5JOPmuOm5WK3ltlxvSY4ODjNLMAmJddMeUiyqjnIXptQgowdO9oSoVk6GR4hWEgOPfXVbJY0HchhPVsr0cyAKH13GYAQUZgd4IbOUuTv95voEnjeNmRul1KCCsmRahs7lDNN-uk6wqwTpkMH-q-OgztNNTyRIQfKWatcyRTsW3pNrIjxSXjIm7DlUSxjWF9GB7mYPBvBYFps0yKJAAUTj1cNZYSX7zr-6RaB51G5_h4jubURfbKW3Pu7A2JRv4Vb_l9ZOYIm1mArVXVjv8iY672R9zHXv11f2PmGs3eX9sS8qPShlD9KxBrOtiFZ5k3etczh2jJIp9VEv4ieb-JXXgHxdftUFkJkJZdO3GXwi4ykoLp=w1316-h893-no

Love the people shot! Nice warm tone and the people are clustered quite uniformly.

Don't like the other one, though. I have a weak stomach. :hungover:

Hi David. I like them both. The people shot for it's visual commentary on how busy lives affects social interchange (not a sign of speech or even eye contact among all those people) but I am more drawn towards the second with it's obvious contrasts. Well composed and executed. :clap:

Yes both fit the theme very well. The second as lots of impact but I do prefer the wide angle of the busy people.

Gaz

Nice pair David, typical corvid, but it depicts the circle of life well.

I think the crowd scene has the edge for me though (y)

Two very good ideas for the theme, the crowd is full of life and you have captured the details well on the crow.

Hiya d00d that's a cracking picture of the rook ....I guess shots like that are very rare, really well caught.

The crowd scene definitely captures the atmosphere of everyone dashing about in their own little world .....you never see anyone dashing much down here it's more a gentle amble :)

Camo - different, but works well - :)

Dangerous - wow - loving the string sign placement and feeling and representation of speed reinforcing the signs image - very nice

Topical - lovely and sharp - nicely captured !

Living World - two completely different, but great interpretations on the theme - not sure which I prefer but think the people may just edge it

Its a brutal world out there which you have captured well in both images, i so wouldnt want to take on that woman!

The crowd scene has a it for me. I love a bit of street and this pushes my curiosity button. Nice colour mix too. (y)

Both are great photography and the second one is certainly a powerful image - wouldn't hang it on the wall but it certainly depicts the reality of the living world.
Liz:)

I'm thinking the second one David. The first one hits the theme bang on, but the second one has striking content.
Even if it hadn't been sharply focused, I think it would have been the winner, but it is sharp with enough shallow DoF to blur the background.

Love the people shot! Nice warm tone and the people are clustered quite uniformly.

Thanks yes it's important to get not too many not too few and I like to try and get them all head to toe.
Hi David. I like them both. The people shot for it's visual commentary on how busy lives affects social interchange (not a sign of speech or even eye contact among all those people) but I am more drawn towards the second with it's obvious contrasts. Well composed and executed. :clap:
Re #1 .... The two grey haired ladies in the centre are having a good gossip ... probably.
Re #2 .... In the right place at the right time with the right lens.
Yes both fit the theme very well. The second as lots of impact but I do prefer the wide angle of the busy people.
Gaz
Good ... but unfortunately not everyone approves of street.
Nice pair David, typical corvid, but it depicts the circle of life well.

I think the crowd scene has the edge for me though (y)
(y)
Two very good ideas for the theme, the crowd is full of life and you have captured the details well on the crow.
(y)
Hiya d00d that's a cracking picture of the rook ....I guess shots like that are very rare, really well caught.

The crowd scene definitely captures the atmosphere of everyone dashing about in their own little world .....you never see anyone dashing much down here it's more a gentle amble :)
:) ... they are crossing the road after be forced to wait at the lights.
Camo - different, but works well - :)

Dangerous - wow - loving the string sign placement and feeling and representation of speed reinforcing the signs image - very nice

Topical - lovely and sharp - nicely captured !

Living World - two completely different, but great interpretations on the theme - not sure which I prefer but think the people may just edge it
Thanks for all your feedback Jon. (y)
Ooh David, I really wish I hadn't seen the second image, but I DO like the first one. It really depicts the pace of city life with people rushing and looking in different directions as they're absorbed in their own thoughts and plans. Lots to look at in an absorbing image (y)
(y)
Its a brutal world out there which you have captured well in both images, i so wouldnt want to take on that woman!
(y) ... that woman, I would.
The crowd scene has a it for me. I love a bit of street and this pushes my curiosity button. Nice colour mix too. (y)
(y)
Both are great photography and the second one is certainly a powerful image - wouldn't hang it on the wall but it certainly depicts the reality of the living world.
Liz:)
(y)
I'm thinking the second one David. The first one hits the theme bang on, but the second one has striking content.
Even if it hadn't been sharply focused, I think it would have been the winner, but it is sharp with enough shallow DoF to blur the background.
(y)

Hey David :)

The Living world - for pure themeyness I'm liking no:2 not just because it feels familiar (usually a cat digging in for snacks here), the living world in the real world shot !!!

But my interest vote too goes to the first, very busy crossing and I too am drawn to the lady in the middle with the big brown boots - Nice Image :)

Back