weekly Go on then, 5th go at the 52, finished!

I like it, its a slightly different take on the fragile, nice triptych (y)

Hey Michael, I like the fragile set..... Especially the way the 3 go up in frame as you go along them. I'm wondering if it wouldn't look stronger as a piece if you toned down the blue slightly on the first photo, then applied to to the others so they were all on a cool tone? Either way, fits the theme well I think!

Thanks for the thoughts, it would work that way, I left it like that as I thought it lended a bit more drama to it.

Like it. Quite a dramatic take on the theme. Not sure about the blue on the left, first thing I thought was your were dead :thinking:

I did a high contrast B&w conversation and quite liked it.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, Will probably have a try at a high contrast b+w. I'm pleased it's come across as dramatic, which is what I was hoping for.

I like it, its a slightly different take on the fragile, nice triptych (y)

Thanks Chris for taking a look.

I think the leftmost image would do the job on it's own too. Powerful stuff. (y)

Liking that a lot Michael, that is very different from you compared to your most recent ones, as well as the height change in each shot I think the colour change works very well too, also I feel it doesn't look staged at all - NICE ONE :Thumbs:

I think the leftmost image would do the job on it's own too. Powerful stuff. (y)

Thanks Martin much appreciated (y)

Good idea for the triptych. I agree with the comments about the blueness of the left hand image and I'm with Andy on trying a real gritty mono conversion

Thanks Peter, tried a few mono conversions, but not found one I am totally happy with yet,

Liking that a lot Michael, that is very different from you compared to your most recent ones, as well as the height change in each shot I think the colour change works very well too, also I feel it doesn't look staged at all - NICE ONE :Thumbs:

Thanks Dean, thanks for the great comments

Wow Michael - that's a very gritty triptych. I really like the three images which work well together as a trio. Very powerful, perfectly on theme and - for me - one of your strongest images yet (including last year's 52!)

Super stuff :clap:

Thanks Paul, I am certainly inclined to agree with you there, it certainly is one I am quite pleased with myself (y)

Very powerful. For me the far right embodies the theme perfectly.

Hi Michael,

I'm loving little Peekaboo, if it's anything like mu sons Blankie I can see the link to the theme. Although the shadow across the front is a little harsh, maybe some softer lighting/ editing would work better for the theme?

Fragile, I like the idea and the triptych works well. The blue tone to the first image is a tad strong for me. Also have you considered adding a little drop shadow to the three images? I find that helps bring a further depth to a triptych.

Beethoven was deaf.

Michael you're a talented image maker.

Thanks David.

Very powerful. For me the far right embodies the theme perfectly.

Cheers Alex, much appreciated.

Hi Michael,

I'm loving little Peekaboo, if it's anything like mu sons Blankie I can see the link to the theme. Although the shadow across the front is a little harsh, maybe some softer lighting/ editing would work better for the theme?

Fragile, I like the idea and the triptych works well. The blue tone to the first image is a tad strong for me. Also have you considered adding a little drop shadow to the three images? I find that helps bring a further depth to a triptych.

Hi Marsha, thanks for the feed back, had not thought about the dropped shadow in the triptych, will have a look at a tutorial at some point.

Fragile - a very good dramatic take for the theme, great work well done.

Thanks Mandy.

Now scenic, attended the whipsnade meet on saturday and managed to bag some scenic shots

My fave

Week 3, scenic by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Or this one
whipsnade view #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I know the area well :D

The tree maybe a little central in the frame, but I quite like the starkness of that one :)
I also like the way the snow dusted tracks lead your eyes all the way to the "Beacon" and beyond.
Nice pair Michael :)

Hi Michael, it has to be the second one for me. Have you cloned out something on the horizon on the tree shot? There are areas that look like they've been missed and you can see where you cloned in a straight line as there's lines in triplicate on the RHS. Also small chunks missing out of the tree trunk.
On the second one I like the lead on line from the snowy tracks. Maybe crop a little of the sky off to give a panoramic feel?

Hi, Michael, both need a little crop off the bottom for me and as pointed out above the cloning in the first is a little odd

I know the area well :D

The tree maybe a little central in the frame, but I quite like the starkness of that one :)
I also like the way the snow dusted tracks lead your eyes all the way to the "Beacon" and beyond.
Nice pair Michael :)

wooo ... love the silhouettiness of #1

Hi Michael, it has to be the second one for me. Have you cloned out something on the horizon on the tree shot? There are areas that look like they've been missed and you can see where you cloned in a straight line as there's lines in triplicate on the RHS. Also small chunks missing out of the tree trunk.
On the second one I like the lead on line from the snowy tracks. Maybe crop a little of the sky off to give a panoramic feel?

Hi, Michael, both need a little crop off the bottom for me and as pointed out above the cloning in the first is a little odd

Hi Michael ....love the starkness of first one, great choice in the B&W.

Thanks all, yes I did a bit of cloning, I shall have to practice more I think with the clone tool, sometimes I get it spot on and others I don't. Thanks for pointing it out.

Scenic - two very good images, the first image I find the tree a little to Central in the frame, also did you do any cloning on the sky as the cloud at the bottom of the grass line look a bit messy which is distracting me slightly.

The second image works better for me, nice view I like it.

Both good pictures for the theme. Love the starkness of #1 but the position of the tree and the cloning let it down. Like the lead in lines of #2 but feel it would benefit from a letter box crop. Well done for getting 2 pics in (y)

Both bang on theme but pic 1 is the stand out shot (y)

Hi Micheal, what software are you using? I think the issue is your brush sides is too solid, maybe feather it and take samples from slightly different places to break up the cloning. If you're using photoshop (CS 5 or higher) zoom in to pixel level, circle a little bit iof what you want removing with the lasso tool, hit shift F5 and fill with content aware, then CTRL to deselect and go round another area.

Hi Micheal, what software are you using? I think the issue is your brush sides is too solid, maybe feather it and take samples from slightly different places to break up the cloning. If you're using photoshop (CS 5 or higher) zoom in to pixel level, circle a little bit iof what you want removing with the lasso tool, hit shift F5 and fill with content aware, then CTRL to deselect and go round another area.

I'm using elements 12, thanks for the tips, will have a look to see if it works.

Hi Michael

mono works well in the 1st with the edited version being slightly better as the odd bits along the horizon ( chequer board effect) gone. I get the feeling you may be using a hard edged brush for cloning which gives the "spot" effect ? A soft edge brush I find works better but it's still trial & error sometimes :) I wonder about cropping a little from the bottom ?

The 2nd , apart from the snowy tracks doesn't really work for me , not enough going on....but then ,I' still learning about landscapes :(

Hi Michael

mono works well in the 1st with the edited version being slightly better as the odd bits along the horizon ( chequer board effect) gone. I get the feeling you may be using a hard edged brush for cloning which gives the "spot" effect ? A soft edge brush I find works better but it's still trial & error sometimes :) I wonder about cropping a little from the bottom ?

The 2nd , apart from the snowy tracks doesn't really work for me , not enough going on....but then ,I' still learning about landscapes :(

I wonder if am? Didn't know there were 2 sorts of brushes tbh! Looking at it a crop off the bottom would work. Landscapes, I'm certainly still getting to grips with them too, one day....:)

Mono shot for me.

Thank you.

The mono lone tree/benches is a great one Michael :clap:

No idea at all how I did not spot that when we were there :D

Thanks Dean, we stopped by the first cafe and toilet block and admired the view across the valley turned round and thought ooh thats a nice tree.

Hi Michael, I too like the first image. The only thing for me is that the tree branches and the bench are a bit too tight / close together... at least that's how it feels to me. I like the processing/tonal range. I wonder if being up the bank a bit more and shooting flat land at a slightly different angle might help? Not sure...

Nice take though and a very effective image!

Hi Michael, I too like the first image. The only thing for me is that the tree branches and the bench are a bit too tight / close together... at least that's how it feels to me. I like the processing/tonal range. I wonder if being up the bank a bit more and shooting flat land at a slightly different angle might help? Not sure...

Nice take though and a very effective image!

Thanks Paul, there were more fences and things the other side plus the road through the zoo was there as well which would have encroached a lot. Still might be an idea though, if it wasn;t much further up.

Companions, I wondered if Monkeh would make an appearance :D
Elegant, not totally sure this fits the theme Michael but its certainly topical(ish) (y)

Michael....

Companions - My first thought was: Munkeh!!! I so want one :LOL: Then I just got incredibly jealous that you have MORE than one :LOL: They do fit the theme well.

Elegant - I can see where you're thinking comes from, but I have to agree with Chris (although I guess if you're a train buff, it might be a VERY elegant carriage!)

Hi Michael

Companions ... I like #3 ... the five of them.

Elegant ... Hmmm ... not Churchill, but what's that olde first class train carriage? Yes.

Companions, I wondered if Monkeh would make an appearance :D
Elegant, not totally sure this fits the theme Michael but its certainly topical(ish) (y)
Michael....

Companions - My first thought was: Munkeh!!! I so want one :LOL: Then I just got incredibly jealous that you have MORE than one :LOL: They do fit the theme well.

Elegant - I can see where you're thinking comes from, but I have to agree with Chris (although I guess if you're a train buff, it might be a VERY elegant carriage!)
Hi Michael

Companions ... I like #3 ... the five of them.

Elegant ... Hmmm ... not Churchill, but what's that olde first class train carriage? Yes.

Thanks for the thoughts all, elegant has been playing on my mind since I took the picture. I was trying to honour his funeral, his coffin was transferred by train, in the back ground is the luggage van which he was carried in, this was repainted in pullman colours for his funeral. Being pulled by a steam train to his final resting place to me takes on the elegant theme. Perhaps I should have put a bit of an explanation.

Being in the national railway museum it was awkward to photograph, I then saw the picture above and went with it, to try something different.

The alternative shot, showing the engine itself

sir winston churchill by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Back