weekly Anitacv's 52 for 2015

Hi Anita, beautiful shot. Range of tones is good - works well for me. Compositionally: simple but effective.

I might have softened the lighting a touch more and/or moved it to camera left if possible as I find the shadow being cast from the green bud close to the middle onto the petal to the left very slightly distracting, but that's a super-minor point!

I'm guessing the yellowy cast on the wall is because the wall is actually magnolia? No problems with it for me.

Scenic by anitacv.1, on Flickr

This a PABD entry for 'Scenic'. Out trying a new wide angle lens and not sure about results ( sure its down to user rather than lens). Looking at it on laptop I think I needed to be lower down so as to clear tree branches from house. All a learning curve :confused:
Decided better to post something rather than risk getting behind with themes.

Last edited:
Hi Anita, it's always a hard one to judge isn't it, especially when you have a narrow lead in like this. If you come too low the sides crop your field of vision, too high and bits in the way! It's a very nice clean sharp image, I don't mind the tree a little in the way guess you could move a little forward and down the bridge till you get a clear shot.
Like the lead in and the nice contrasty look.
Your lens is doing a good job if you ask me! Don't forget if it's only your first shoot at that venue you have another 100 shoots to go;).
I've been to a local ruined castle soooo many times one day the light, the clouds, the frost, etc etc will all come together:rolleyes:
Nice shot I like it
Nice work Anita

Hi Anita, I think you have answered your own crit a bit lower down would have cleared the house but might have given you issues with the bridge
nice B+W conversion and the lens looks fine to me

A lovely mono image. Plenty of scent to cast the eye over. great lead in line. good to see you crib your own work. Its how we learn.

Scenic - like the mono, maybe the tree is a bit in the way sounds like a good excuse to go have more fun with your new lens!:)

Three lovely images to start off, good stuff Anita, really like the B&W.

Phil

Hi Anita,

it's a nice subject for scenic. I can see that you had a tough decision, as you had to keep the tree in if you wanted to keep the bridge, so it was tricky, but you may get the chance to go back for another try later in the year :)

companions by anitacv.1, on Flickr

My 'Companions' shot taken on my tablet when opportunity struck. These two tolerate each other, not friends but companions. My cat was defending HER box with her claws and my dog has that look of'what's wrong with her? I was only looking!' on his face whilst she stares at him. :)

Hi Anita, excellent idea for elegant though I would say that I did a swan too though it seems another 6 or 7 have arrived, i like how you have captured the wings slightly open (y)

I guess it was only a matter of time before we got the "classic" shot.
Thats not a criticism BTW I like it (y)

Good image. Like the movement the swan is making in the water. Whites well captured. Swan definitely elegant.

It maybe the same idea but its up there at the top of the pile for quality (y)

Companions by anitacv.1, on Flickr

My other entry for 'companions' was just a snap shot taken on my tablet which was the camera I had with me at the time.
This is my more 'serious' entry, if there is such a thing. :confused:

Cracking composition. I like the curves of the wings. I thought you might have a hot area on the lower right of the swan but I think it's fine.

Cheers.

Hi Anita

Elegant ... fantastic swan shot :clap:

Companions ... yep that's serious. Great use of shallow DOF, love the way you've focused on the superior bird. :clap:

Elegant is a good shot. I'm wondering whether an off-centre composition might make it a bit stronger as it feels a bit flat with the central position of the subject. That said - I quite like the symmetry of the light/dark shadow across the swan so I obviously can't make up my mind.

Patterns is much better (IMO) and proves the theory that the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. Good strong leading lines and an amusing subject. Lots of interest from the contrast of all the orange legs to the gull apparently standing on the backs of the others. Really like it - moreso because it's a "moment" that you've naturally captured well.

Agree that your elegant shot is classic for the swan.
Fits the theme very well :)

Love the shot for elegant great to have the wings like that gives that something extra to the shot.

Hi Anita, the swan is a really strong shot. Nice sharp focus, nice reflection in front of the swan, and a bow wave giving a good impression of movement. I like the light brushing down his left wing. Love the heart shaped form of the wings. Actually looks a little menacing on its way toward you. You know that sort look that says 'your in my space' on your bike!

I have to go for the seagulls, not my favourite bird and not what I call it;). Great use of DOF. Nice little contrasting colours with the orange legs, could you tell the ones at the back to behave and settle down;) Also like the iron railings gives another element of interest.
Nice work!

Hi Anita - the swan shot is lovely - very elegant, nice crisp focus and the wings are in just the right position

Your swan shot is one of the better swan shots this theme. I do like the birds, a quirky little picture, well-photographed.

Hi Anita... sorry for my slowness in commenting!

Scenic works well and good thinking to convert to mono and avoid the sky being a drag on the image... Only suggestion would be to have taken a couple of steps forward and drop the lens a touch so the tree branches framed the house, rather than cutting across it. Otherwise really nice image :)

Companions - this is a classic case of a technically perfect shot being outdone by a brilliant image! I really don't care about the grumbly image quality... I love the expression and looks from the two pets - just brilliant and makes me laugh! And that's a great effect from a great image.

Elegant - nice shot and well captured. Central composition works for this image, for me.

Watery - nice idea. Definitely keep practising with flash as it's a bit of a life-long experiment to get right! You've chosen possibly the most difficult subject: a glass partially filled with liquid but you nearly have it! There are two "classic" ways of lighting glasses: one is to use a dark background and have the edges of the glass glow (light behind subject pointing at camera with a gobo completely filling the frame) and the other - your one - is to do the opposite and light a bright background to reflect the light to camera, but only "just enough" so the glasses get a dark edge.

Only artefact which isn't ideal are the specular reflections from the front of the glasses... can be achieved by using a darker room which prevents reflections reaching that part of the glass...

Companions - although I appreciate the spontaneity of your cat and dog together (and I so love the expression on the dogs face), I prefer the seagulls version. I like it for its pattern, the focus on the one higher gull, I think it is an image many would have walked past and not seen.
Elegant - I like the lighting and it certainly fits the theme. Maybe the swan is a bit central but I like it's head on view and that part reflection too
Watery - I admire your use of Flash, I too need much practice in this area. I think the addition of the blue certainly adds something extra.
:)

Love the watery shot Anita.
Tried it myself at the weekend but just couldn't get the light right to nail the detail in the food colouring (?)
I really like the diagonal on the water too :)

Anita .... brilliant, slightly wacky idea for WATERY ... nicely done.

Back