weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

Your friendly neighbourhood prison I'm liking more and more, a grower. (y)

Smoke is an interesting one ... great architecture (wouldn't like to see LHS go) .... I find myself looking at the shopfront and the reflection of the buildings across the road.

The person in the window is quite a nice touch, adds something to look for/at.
It's evidently built into an archway of some kind, which makes the shot look like the perspective is all wonky on the edges.
I wonder if a straight on shot would have prevented that effect.

Thank you all very much for commenting!

Interesting shot! Is that actually part of the building or a sculpture of some kind?

I like the angle and the colours against the building, a bit of a shame about the branches on the right but probably not a lot you could do about that.

Well found Bernd. And a great angle of shot; they look as if they go all the way to the top of the building. Vivid too !

That's nice, spot on for the theme and well captured
Thank you Chris!

Super building, where is that? Oh, and definitely on theme.
Cheers Chris! The building is the new UBS office in London, Broadgate Circus, right behind Liverpool Street Station.

Interesting shot! Is that actually part of the building or a sculpture of some kind?

I like the angle and the colours against the building, a bit of a shame about the branches on the right but probably not a lot you could do about that.
Thanks Steve! I'm pretty sure the sculpture pre-dates the building...

Well found Bernd. And a great angle of shot; they look as if they go all the way to the top of the building. Vivid too !
Thank you John!

That's an excellent spot for the theme, I do like that sculpture sits perfectly against the building

Ah yes, I knew Id seen it before! Well spotted/remembered for the theme.

Im in central London every other Monday and it always annoys me that I dont have the time for taking pics...damn you work!

Nice find ... must check it out. Your perspective is cool. (y)

Last edited:
That's an excellent spot for the theme, I do like that sculpture sits perfectly against the building
Thank you Allan!

Vivid, well spotted and nicely taken shot, looks like it would be fun to climb too :)
Cheers David! The sculpture is on a plinth that might be too high to do the first step...

Now that's a building I really do like.

Nice perspective, blooming trees get in the way but nowt you can do about that.
Thanks Andy!

Cool - Vivid, life sized Jenga !!! - a cracking building that, I like the angle you have chosen Bernd (y)
Thank you Dean!

Ah yes, I knew Id seen it before! Well spotted/remembered for the theme.

Im in central London every other Monday and it always annoys me that I dont have the time for taking pics...damn you work!
Cheers Mark!

Nice find ... must check it out. Your perspective is cool. (y)
Thanks David! The building does make a refreshing change from the mid-70s office blocks that surround it...

Well spotted Bernd another one of my real favourites of yours, perfect for the theme :clap:
Thank you Susie!

Very nice, .
Cheers Walter!

Really nice find for the theme Bernd and well captured too :)
Thank you Emma!

A very unusual design and an interesting sculpture. Vivid and colourful too.
Thanks Stan!

A bright, interesting sculpture and 5 Broadgate makes a great backdrop for it... which is about the only thing it's good for as far as I'm concerned as it's a bloody monstrosity. I hate it. Shortly after it was completed I was talking about this rather animatedly to a bunch of guys I'd just met in a pub, commenting that it really should be called The F*ck You Building as that's effectively the message it gives out to everyone walking past. They didn't agree, because as it happened they worked for Make, which is an architecture firm. The same firm, in fact, that designed 5 Broadgate. Awkward.

Thanks Nick! I like the building, certainly an improvement to what was there before, and I like bold architecture :)

That's about the largest number of bicycles I've ever seen, not a shoehorn at all. Nicely captured with good details all the way through.

Yes that is a very LARGE bike park. Agree not a Shoehorn. Well done. :plus1:

That's about the largest number of bicycles I've ever seen, not a shoehorn at all. Nicely captured with good details all the way through.
Thank you Chris!

Yes that is a very LARGE bike park. Agree not a Shoehorn. Well done. :plus1:
Thanks Kathleen!

Great shot and works well on the mono, I like it.
Cheers Mark!

no shoehorn for me either, impressive amount of bicycles
Thanks Allan!

Great shot bernd. perfect for the theme, I like the b+w treatment too.
Thanks Michael!

No shoehorn for me either, a great shot showing the Large amount of bikes, goes well in mono too :)
Cheers David!

Large number, indeed. Looks like a scene from a sci fi movie.

Loving the font on the upper section.
Thanks Andy! Yes, the Danes with their funny å's and ø's...

Agree with everybody else on this one, liking the B&W it works well for the theme :)
Thank you Dean!

I just had to do a shot of the building at 5 Broadgate in London that I quite like, but others don't... Unfortunately almost everything in the City is private ground, owned mostly by British Land. So when I set up my tripod it didn't take long for security to come and to tell me that I'm not allowed to take photos without a permit. So I had to do with what I've taken by then.

19 Architecture: 5 Broadgate
by Bernd, on Flickr

Largest number or bikes ... pleasing image with FG old looking bikes with bells .. how civilised.

Architecture ... good catch. Three very beautiful images depicting those architectural qualities.

Good triptych which picks out the architectural details well, suits the mono nicely.

Back