weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

6 Whole: Milk
by Bernd, on Flickr

EDIT: After all commenters found my two photos a bit too dark I fiddled a bit with the B&W conversion. I'm not totally happy with it, but at least it's a bit better...

Last edited:
Sorry but I've got to agree with @Allan.H, they look a tad under and bit lacking in tonal range, you normally do such excellent mono conversions. Whole milk is a good take on the theme though.

i like the take on the theme, both works. Although I like the simplicity of the Milk composition, the BW conversion doesn't really work for me. It generally feels very grey, in my mind milk should be white. As for World, I think everything has already been said. Great compositions though (y)

Compositionally and for interest value it has to #2 Bernd without a doubt. Needs a bit more contrast as already said but otherwise spot on.

I like them both. Clever idea with the Whole Milk. I agree maybe a little underexposed, but work very well for the theme.

Cheers
Kath

2 nice b&w shots, I think I prefer no2 as an image, just for being more interesting.
Thank you Clive!

Both good ideas but seem a little underexposed, to me anyway
Thanks Allan!

Milk, milk it has to be:clap:.
Thank you Shirley!

Whole milk is a good take on the theme though.
Cheers Chris!

Yeah, under exposed and a little flat.
Thanks Andy!

i like the take on the theme, both works. Although I like the simplicity of the Milk composition, the BW conversion doesn't really work for me. It generally feels very grey, in my mind milk should be white. As for World, I think everything has already been said. Great compositions though (y)
Cheers Chris!

Compositionally and for interest value it has to #2 Bernd without a doubt. Needs a bit more contrast as already said but otherwise spot on.
Thank you Carl!

Both images appear a tad flat, but the milk shot for me too Bernd though it needs a tweak in PP it works better for me :)
Thanks Dean!

I like them both. Clever idea with the Whole Milk. I agree maybe a little underexposed, but work very well for the theme.
Thank you Kath!

They do both look very dark Bernd...but like Carl I think the composition of the second is great.
Thanks Emma.

After all your constructive critique I've reposted my photos with an improved (but by no means perfect) B&W conversion.

Cheers.

Hi Bernd ... :agree: with the above critique, and I didn't even see the original!

The globe image, I like. :)

The "world" is my favourite Bernd.
Nicely thought out.

Whole - both images fit the theme for me, I much prefer the second image but I feel it needs a little something else, but I cant think what that might be at the moment.
Thank you Mandy! I think it needs more oomph...

Yes, first one for me too - the perspective with the bridge angling across is nice but a bit more cloud detail would have been good.

Two very good takes on structure Bernd, Bastion House says it all and I guess is representative of a brutalist structure. Your millennium bridge shot shows the structure well but I'd go for the imposing massiveness of Bastion House

both good but I think the first with three very different structures in terms of date and style

#1 for me, great shot imo. Like the smooth water and cranes in the distance and good focus all round, sorry but #2 not for me :)
Thank you David!

Yes, first one for me too - the perspective with the bridge angling across is nice but a bit more cloud detail would have been good.
Thanks Carl! I can do many things, but changing the weather is not one of them :) But I agree, yesterday was far from ideal for taking photos of architecture, the sky was light grey and mostly without any structure at all...

I like the bridge Bernd, nice angle, I really like the office block too but that lamppost is annoying :)
Thank you Susie! I've cloned out branches in the top left corner, but I found cloning out the lamp post as well a bit too challenging.

Two very good takes on structure Bernd, Bastion House says it all and I guess is representative of a brutalist structure. Your millennium bridge shot shows the structure well but I'd go for the imposing massiveness of Bastion House
Cheers Chris! I love the Barbican Estate which is right behind and a great example of the beauty of brutalist architecture (as is the National Theatre), but I find Bastion House just plain ugly...

both good but I think the first with three very different structures in terms of date and style
Thank you Allan!

Structure - two good images for the theme but my vote also goes for the first image.
Thanks Mandy!

I love the first Bernd with the tension between the two different structures and excellent reflections.
Thank you Emma. I assume you haven't seen one of the last remaining bits of the Roman London Wall in the second photo then? :)

But I agree, yesterday was far from ideal for taking photos of architecture, the sky was light grey and mostly without any structure at all...
Yes, shame really.

I can do many things, but changing the weather is not one of them :)
Sad news Bernd - I was also going to ask you to turn the thermostat up a notch also but I suppose that too is out of the question ?

Good to see a different take on that bridge with it leading into Tate Modern rather the the usual St Pauls BG.

Creamy waters, reflections, The Globe!

(y)

Last edited:
Its just come to me, call me slow but he's got the whole world in his hands, I have complimented once but the world has just become clear.
Structure is fantastic, wow.:clap:

Good to see a different take on that bridge with it leading into Tate Modern rather the the usual St Pauls BG.
Thank you David!

Its just come to me, call me slow but he's got the whole world in his hands, I have complimented once but the world has just become clear.
Structure is fantastic, wow.:clap:
Thanks Shirley!

Two lovely shots and both theme fitting too. A modern bridge structure and a typical 70's office block building.
Cheers Stan!

#1 for me also, like the way the ridge leads the eye into the frame. Interesting choice of focal point, works well (y)
Thanks Chris!

It's the bridge for me too (y) It's a fabulous composition with the downward diagonal from the bridge and the reflections in the water.

It's the bridge for me too (y) It's a fabulous composition with the downward diagonal from the bridge and the reflections in the water.
Thank you Jill!

Back