Brian of Bozeats '26 from '52 - 2015 week 52: Christmas

Aaaagh, that's just a little bit scary for my first peak at the photos' thread in a few weeks :eek::runaway: and I was just about to compliment you on your Tear photo :exit:

Welcome back!

Starting as you mean to go on - Medical is a cracker. I love the low angle, the expression & the sky. The beheaded beastie at the left hand side jars a tiny bit if I'm being picky.
The proverb still is great too... If only all selfies were like this!
Pale #'2 works brilliantly, it's almost nothing at all... clever.
I like the idea of Words, not entirely convinced about the processing though.

Why didn't I think of that - got a few of these in the garage. Great detail and like the combination of textures in the stand and wall.

Oh dear... your only just back in the 52 and I'm behind already - Doh :bang:

Pale - Liking the shell mate, but it appears to be floating... still good detail and a real good white background :)

Pale 2 - Ahhhhh that's more like it, really like this one, Looooooads of white on white, especially like the edges of the spoon how the shades change :)

Tear - Well... the crowbar had to come in at some time, a real nice image although feel you could lose the foreground so the lake was lower... I love the sun rays coming out of the clouds and the murky reflection on the water, the jetty and other bits make a real sad face too :D

Words - Oh My... and there was me worried about opening posts on Andy's thread :nailbiting:

Support - Not so sure on the crop mate, would much prefer a landscape, but loving the idea, nice strong light, great shadow, nice low perspective and the rusty detail on the stand is luuuuvly - nice one (y)

Ah nice work Brian
So taking it from the top
Medical .... Or is that Animal. Nice shot Great colour (you must be shooting with a Nikon) and nice composition, like the way it fills the whole frame (apart from the decapitated Cow bar an ear). Grass in the foreground looks a bit mooooted.:);)
Proverb.... OK so the work server canned the video file so I'm going to look at the Selfie and use my imagination, must be great to fly Balloons!
Pale .... Nice shell and it is indeed very pale. I don't think its too floaty as there's a slight greyscale in the card, there is a bit of a hotspot on the top LH of the crown of the shell, bit of burning in PS would calm that.
Pale2 the sequel... Nice very Subtle! Nice soft shadow too and not a grain of sugar in sight!
Tear.... Cracking I'm a sucker for crepuscular rays. I really like the cotton wool cloud reflection in the Reservoir and you guardian angel;). I think I'd just lose a bit off the bottom to loose the distracting road. Mind you that's a hard call as you'd still have the roundabout:rolleyes: or you'd loose too much, can that idea then:whistle:. Glorious streaming sky, nice light.
Words.... Its (Monty Pythons Flying Circus?) I guess that's a tongue in cheek shot? Works for me! (y)
Support.... Really nice shadow, pulls the whole shot together for me, Spot on lighting and focus, great texture in the brickwork makes a cracking background! Might just snip the bottom OOF bit off other than that spot on.

Last edited:
I'm on my iPhone but the detail looks great as does the textures and muted colours.

Ps I love my iPad

Thanks I love mine too, but posting links seems tedious...

Why didn't I think of that - got a few of these in the garage. Great detail and like the combination of textures in the stand and wall.

Thank you Carl.

Oh dear... your only just back in the 52 and I'm behind already - Doh :banghead:

Pale - Liking the shell mate, but it appears to be floating... still good detail and a real good white background :)

Pale 2 - Ahhhhh that's more like it, really like this one, Looooooads of white on white, especially like the edges of the spoon how the shades change :)

Tear - Well... the crowbar had to come in at some time, a real nice image although feel you could lose the foreground so the lake was lower... I love the sun rays coming out of the clouds and the murky reflection on the water, the jetty and other bits make a real sad face too :D

Words - Oh My... and there was me worried about opening posts on Andy's thread :nailbiting:

Support - Not so sure on the crop mate, would much prefer a landscape, but loving the idea, nice strong light, great shadow, nice low perspective and the rusty detail on the stand is luuuuvly - nice one (y)

Landscape would have been a good idea, Thanks.

Ah nice work Brian
So taking it from the top
Medical .... Or is that Animal. Nice shot Great colour (you must be shooting with a Nikon) and nice composition, like the way it fills the whole frame (apart from the decapitated Cow bar an ear). Grass in the foreground looks a bit mooooted.:);)
Proverb.... OK so the work server canned the video file so I'm going to look at the Selfie and use my imagination, must be great to fly Balloons!
Pale .... Nice shell and it is indeed very pale. I don't think its too floaty as there's a slight greyscale in the card, there is a bit of a hotspot on the top LH of the crown of the shell, bit of burning in PS would calm that.
Pale2 the sequel... Nice very Subtle! Nice soft shadow too and not a grain of sugar in sight!
Tear.... Cracking I'm a sucker for crepuscular rays. I really like the cotton wool cloud reflection in the Reservoir and you guardian angel;). I think I'd just lose a bit off the bottom to loose the distracting road. Mind you that's a hard call as you'd still have the roundabout:rolleyes: or you'd loose too much, can that idea then:whistle:. Glorious streaming sky, nice light.
Words.... Its (Monty Pythons Flying Circus?) I guess that's a tongue in cheek shot? Works for me! (y)
Support.... Really nice shadow, pulls the whole shot together for me, Spot on lighting and focus, great texture in the brickwork makes a cracking background! Might just snip the bottom OOF bit off other than that spot on.

Thanks for the comments. The idea behind "words" was "It's on the tip of my tongue" ;).

But of course! just looked a bit pythonesque too(y)

Hi Brian, Support: Great simple idea that's come off really well (y). Lovely shadows and textures. I'd agree with @Dark Knight regarding the landscape. If you had the space maybe pull it out from the wall a few inches.

Hi Brian, perfect object for support I suppose photographing it in it's natural habitat was the only option, I do like a harsh shadow

... another one liking Support .... industrial setting, super low POV, shadow on the bricks works just great.

Last edited:
Hi Brian, Support: Great simple idea that's come off really well (y). Lovely shadows and textures. I'd agree with @Dark Knight regarding the landscape. If you had the space maybe pull it out from the wall a few inches.

Thank you.

Hi Brian, perfect object for support I suppose photographing it in it's natural habitat was the only option, I do like a harsh shadow

Thanks, I'm very pleased to be honest.

... another one liking Support .... industrial setting, super low POV, shadow on the bricks works just great.

Thanks (y)

Week 33 : Religion.

A bit of an obvious one from me this week. This is The church of St John the Baptist in the village of Piddington, Northants. What's interesting (to me that is, religion is of no interest to me) is the use of the redundant, and de-consecrated, Wesleyan Chapel in the village to house the museum for the finds of a Roman Villa and Iron age settlement located on the edge of the village. The people working the ongoing dig were very friendly and helpful when I landed there, telling me all about the villa whilst helping me to pack away. What a shame I'd stowed my camera before landing so missed the opportunity to shoot the excavation site. I will revisit this interesting village another day!

Anyway here's the shot ticked off. Yawn.

View attachment 44327

Hi Brian :wave:

I'm with Dean on the Support shot, I'd prefer to see it in Landscape format. Lots of detail there though but find the top of the shot a little dark and therefore distracting.

Religion - I like the light hitting the side of the church but for me the compostion would have been better with the church further to the left and a panoramic crop. Just personal taste though and, as you say, it's ticked off. I have themes like that when I just find it a bit bleugh and uninteresting

Hi Brian. Great write-up - nice to have the story behind the shot. It is a delightful image of a beautiful English village. Lighting is lovely but would crop out the field at the bottom and give the church a left hand bias in terms of it's position within the frame. Like it regardless.

Hmmm ... maybe a bit off the RHS & bottom. o_O

Maybe a contender for the tilt-shift treatment.

Last edited:
Hi there Brian,
Tear: Good spot on the jetty and boats. A good amusing take on the theme :)
Words: More clever thinking. Great bit of extra pp on the eye too. Did the pen ink taste nice? :D
Support: Great simple shot and bang on the theme. Very clever choice of prop too (y)
Religion: Nice shot. A wonderful perspective. I wonder if a tighter crop would suit? Maybe remove a bit off the RHS and bottom? A balloon trip is something I must try one of these days...

Hehe I like words but then I get the feeling I like something different in my photography:) I also like the sad face in tear nicely shoehorned, personally I can never get shots like that work, composing them can be tricky and this was nicely done.

Support I like the inclusion of the shadow it adds to the picture and the brick background really works for me.

As the others have said great PoV on religion. Hope you enjoyed the ballon ride [emoji3]

Hi Brian, I would put the church on the right side of the frame as the fields to the right seem very empty, very jealous of the point of view though

I feel your pain though, its been strange subjects all year :(

Hi Brian :wave:

I'm with Dean on the Support shot, I'd prefer to see it in Landscape format. Lots of detail there though but find the top of the shot a little dark and therefore distracting.

Religion - I like the light hitting the side of the church but for me the compostion would have been better with the church further to the left and a panoramic crop. Just personal taste though and, as you say, it's ticked off. I have themes like that when I just find it a bit bleugh and uninteresting

Hiya Jill, Thanks for commenting, The crop was difficult and a decision that had to be made in post (due to me having more pressing duties at the time that I took it), there were many options and this was my favourite.

Hi Brian. Great write-up - nice to have the story behind the shot. It is a delightful image of a beautiful English village. Lighting is lovely but would crop out the field at the bottom and give the church a left hand bias in terms of it's position within the frame. Like it regardless.

Thanks Carl, the crop is a subjective thing I suppose, thanks for your suggestion. (y)

Hi Brian love the shot for Support, simple composition but lots of lovely rusty texture and colour with the wall and the OOF bit at the bottom, one of the weeks favourites for me.

Very nice light on the Religion one ...a perfect English country scene.

Thank you Susie

Very different viewpoint on the church rather than the usual from the ground level. Nice scenic and an usual looking building. I've been on hot air balloon twice before and enjoyed both time. The landing of my first outing was quite rough and bumpy with the basket almost turned up-side-down.

Thanks for your comment Stan. Every balloonist has his fast landing stories! (including me) they get more and more exiting every time I tell 'em! :LOL:

I'd really like to get a similar perspective, not keen on the central placement, but must be good to be up there:)

Cheers.

Crop: as above. Perspective: Why don't you come and see for yourself matey? Will text you.

Hmmm ... maybe a bit off the RHS & bottom. o_O

Maybe a contender for the tilt-shift treatment.

Tilt Shift, good idea, I will have a look!

Hi there Brian,
Tear: Good spot on the jetty and boats. A good amusing take on the theme :)
Words: More clever thinking. Great bit of extra pp on the eye too. Did the pen ink taste nice? :D
Support: Great simple shot and bang on the theme. Very clever choice of prop too (y)
Religion: Nice shot. A wonderful perspective. I wonder if a tighter crop would suit? Maybe remove a bit off the RHS and bottom? A balloon trip is something I must try one of these days...

Thanks Lee. Just do it!

A nice PoV that's for sure, shame about the urbanisation around it, could you not make the red bricks and roof tiles Yellow :D

Yellow bricks, OK like that, will try it with the tilt shift. ;)

Hehe I like words but then I get the feeling I like something different in my photography:) I also like the sad face in tear nicely shoehorned, personally I can never get shots like that work, composing them can be tricky and this was nicely done.

Support I like the inclusion of the shadow it adds to the picture and the brick background really works for me.

As the others have said great PoV on religion. Hope you enjoyed the ballon ride [emoji3]

Thanks, Actually it turned out to be the worst landing I've made in a long while :LOL: my poor passenger! (it wasn't that bad, just a harder impact than I meant it to be)

Hi Brian, I would put the church on the right side of the frame as the fields to the right seem very empty, very jealous of the point of view though

I feel your pain though, its been strange subjects all year :(

Cheers Allan. (y)

Week 34 Geometric:

This started out as a macro of a house leek. I got all creative in post and ended up with this image. (that I suspect will be a bit Marmite)

File 26-08-2015 22 52 47.jpeg

Cheers,

B. :cow:

Hi Brian
Religion : A nice perspective, I did wonder how you got it, I thought it was from a drone until I saw your later posts about being in a balloon. Nice and bright and looks nice there :)
Geometric : Reminds me of a kaleidoscope, nice colours and bang on theme. I like it(y)

Hi Brian. I cannot express the extent of my disappointment with you. You promised to present a Geometric image that would challenge mine for bottom slot and then you post something like this - Pah ! It's yet something else that I would never have thought of for this theme and Wow, that is an amazing shot - a wonderful abstract.

Blimey ... whatever it is it's Geometric. Top macro. Isn't nature wonderful!

Hi Brian
Religion : A nice perspective, I did wonder how you got it, I thought it was from a drone until I saw your later posts about being in a balloon. Nice and bright and looks nice there :)
Geometric : Reminds me of a kaleidoscope, nice colours and bang on theme. I like it(y)

Thank you.

Very apt and nice pp work. I like the colour and focus point.

Thanks.

Hi Brian. I cannot express the extent of my disappointment with you. You promised to present a Geometric image that would challenge mine for bottom slot and then you post something like this - Pah ! It's yet something else that I would never have thought of for this theme and Wow, that is an amazing shot - a wonderful abstract.

Awww come-on It's supposed to be a photograph and mines not a photograph anymore is it. - The answer will be "NO" when @posiview gets here.
If I showed you the original and the PP methoed I'm sure you would be less impressed!

Blimey ... whatever it is it's Geometric. Top macro. Isn't nature wonderful!

I refer the honerable Gentleman to my answer to Carl! :LOL:

Well although not a fan of marmite I like your picture, good colours and textures and very geometric :)

Thanks.

Hi Brian ...great shot for Geometric ...it IS a photograph. it's just that's been turned into a work of art :) I never mind photos that are fiddled with, why not, we're creating an image pleasing to the eye and that's pleasing.
And no doubt the original was amazing :D...

Brian. Your geometric shot is excellent. I love the colours.
I really like the shot you've taken for support too, brilliant in it's simplicity.

Thank you.

Hi Brian ...great shot for Geometric ...it IS a photograph. it's just that's been turned into a work of art :) I never mind photos that are fiddled with, why not, we're creating an image pleasing to the eye and that's pleasing.
And no doubt the original was amazing :D...

Thanks.

Everyone has been so kind (must be because Andy's on his hols :D) I really thought there would be some who didn't like it!

Week 35: Fashion.

I struggled a bit this week. I have ideas but without a Hollywood budget they are never going to come to fruition...

Anyway, back to my roots, I love a bit of street photography, although I didn't quite get what I wanted, at least I got out with my camera and this was the best one of what I got. I have tried to imply a bit of sarcasm with the crop (I hope apple won't start a law suit :D).

Imark-1.jpg

Hi Brian, very clever with the crop and nothing says fashion better than Primark or rather the disposable society we have become regarding fashion

I seem to have missed Geometric, it is as someone said above very reminiscent of a kaleidoscope, which were wondrous when I was young, how times have changed

Back