weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

Very nice. I like the fact the plug hole is off centre as well. Did you add anything to the water to make it whiter or is this just as it came out?

Ooooooh now that's a belter!

Very good idea and excellent execution well done

Good luck with your 2019 challenge, and good luck with learning to play the ukulele good image to start the challenge off with. I have to agree with @Dave70D on you image for clean being the best one yet. I think you have captured the movement of the water going down the drain perfectly lovely swirl effect.

Clean
I think this is one of my favourites so far this week. I like the composition, the black and white conversion. It's all good.

Masterful image!!
The time you spent setting up and getting it just right, is very well spent!!
Excellent use of mono to highlight the contrasts in the flowing water.
Great use of the rule of thirds....the plughole is perfectly placed and the spirals are brilliantly effective at drawing your eye into the image!
This is a great example of how to photograph a mundane object and make it a compelling image.
Well done!(y)

That's a cool image. Nicely thought out for theme. Works for me

Very nice. I like the fact the plug hole is off centre as well. Did you add anything to the water to make it whiter or is this just as it came out?

Thanks Joan, I just added a drop of washing up liquid. I thought the white bubbles would contrast the dark sink.

Super shot! Love it! Great take on the theme. Well done....

Thanks Bob

Ooooooh now that's a belter!

Thanks Dave

Very good idea and excellent execution well done

Thanks Lindsay!

Toit!

Really like this.

Thanks Ian

That must've taken some time, not only getting the water looking the way you want, getting the shot at the right time to ensure you had enough water.
:D

Cheers Tim. It was just trial and error really. I filled the sink about 2 inches full with soapy water, and then pulled the plug, then get the water swirling by moving my hand around in it. Then it was just waiting for the water to drain enough to see the plug, and firing off a couple shots as the last bit went down the drain.

very nice indeed i really like how you have done it.

Thanks Peter

WOW!!! Cracking shot and best one yet for Clean.

Thank you Dave :)

Good luck with your 2019 challenge, and good luck with learning to play the ukulele good image to start the challenge off with. I have to agree with @Dave70D on you image for clean being the best one yet. I think you have captured the movement of the water going down the drain perfectly lovely swirl effect.

Thanks Mandy!

Clean
I think this is one of my favourites so far this week. I like the composition, the black and white conversion. It's all good.

Cheers Dominic!

Very nice image to kick off the year with! Works well in mono

Thanks Jon

Masterful image!!
The time you spent setting up and getting it just right, is very well spent!!
Excellent use of mono to highlight the contrasts in the flowing water.
Great use of the rule of thirds....the plughole is perfectly placed and the spirals are brilliantly effective at drawing your eye into the image!
This is a great example of how to photograph a mundane object and make it a compelling image.
Well done!(y)

Thank you Gareth, I appreciate the kind feedback :)

Carl, like the swirl just enough of the misty effect. Great idea !

Thanks Chris

Love that! Looks like a perfect demonstration of Fibonacci’s Ratio in action. A really pleasing photo as a result.

Cheers Lee, the Fibonacci spiral was actually what I was aiming for when I composed it :) The swirls don't quite follow the spiral perfectly but I'm pleased with it

Definitely my favourite of the week so far :clap:.... fabulous image Carl.

Thanks a lot Susie :)

An excellent shot and not much to fault here. You have rendered the water perfectly and still retaining enough texture to show the movement.

Thank you Stan, I tried a few different shutter speeds and this was the best balance between showing movement but retaining some texture.

That's a cool image. Nicely thought out for theme. Works for me

Thanks Ian

Great idea and perfectly executed, Carl. You've got just the right amount of movement in the water, the plug hole is positioned nicely off-centre, and the variety of tones in the water is surprising. Well done - your effort was well worth it :clap:

Thank you Andrea, I think the variety of tones in the water is due to the white bubbles flowing over the top of the darker steel sink. Thanks for the kind words :)

I keep coming back to your clean image. It's really good and I will endeavour to reproduce it at some point I'm sure.
It's got an eerie look about it: like one of those satellite images of the eye of a hurricane, but in a sink!

Agree as comment above, one of my favourites for this week’s theme. Nice capture.

Hi, and welcome. I really like the shot for new. Nice and sharp, with sweet woody textures. The mono processing works really well.

Clean is a super cool image. Great movement in the water. Plug on the 1st third. Whats not to like!

Last edited:
I really like the swirls great capture good timing.

Clean: Superb simple choice for the theme and very well composed. You’ve definitely made the mundane look artistic.

Two great images not much more I can add good ideas well executed

I keep coming back to your clean image. It's really good and I will endeavour to reproduce it at some point I'm sure.
It's got an eerie look about it: like one of those satellite images of the eye of a hurricane, but in a sink!

Thanks Bob

What a great idea and very well executed. One of my favourites this week for sure.

Thanks Steve

Agree as comment above, one of my favourites for this week’s theme. Nice capture.

Cheers Andy

Hi, and welcome. I really like the shot for new. Nice and sharp, with sweet woody textures. The mono processing works really well.

Clean is a super cool image. Great movement in the water. Plug on the 1st third. Whats not to like!

Thank you Ross :)

I really like the swirls great capture good timing.

Thanks!

Clean: Superb simple choice for the theme and very well composed. You’ve definitely made the mundane look artistic.

Thank you Mandy

Two great images not much more I can add good ideas well executed

Cheers Allan

Bit of a shoe horn for me this week... I toyed with loads of ideas of open beer bottles, books, and a can of baked beans. Wanted to go out for a walk over the weekend so I thought I'd do something for an "open space". I've had the X-T2 for about 10 weeks and the 10-24 lens for 4 weeks, but this is the first time I've been out for sunset and actually had a sunset!

East Fleet Lagoon
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Nice shot Carl - and nice kit :D

Oh my word!! Splendid shot. Maybe it's my eyes/monitor but is the horizon bang on straight? It seems to dip to the right as you look.
But anyway, still a stunner!

Nice shot Carl - and nice kit :D

Cheers Dave :)

Oh my word!! Splendid shot. Maybe it's my eyes/monitor but is the horizon bang on straight? It seems to dip to the right as you look.
But anyway, still a stunner!

Thanks Bob. Nope, you're right! The opposite shoreline isn't perpendicular to the pier so it looks like it's on the wonk even though the camera was perfectly level. I might have another look and rotate it so the horizon is straight, but I'm not sure how much that will make the pier tilt.

Beautiful image there, lovely sky and reflections, great use of the jetty to lead you in :)

Lovely sunset. Good details and colour in the sky and it reflects well on the sea. Would be interesting to see what happens to the jetty if you alter horizon?.

Cracking image. I had hoped for an item space photo myself in the lake District but the conditions were miserable so didn't bother.

Hi Carl

Clean, plenty of movement and good conversion to B&W, good composition with the plug hole on lines of thirds. Have you tried rotating the image to show the plug hole in different position, like bottom right to see if it makes a difference?

Open, a nice open view so fits the theme, lovely sunset as well. Horizon looks a little bit out, but very good effort.

Pete

Back