weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

One of those shots where you think. how on earth did he get close enough to shoot that !
Laying on his belly precariously on a cliff top!

This is a wide shot, of most of the area. I can't remember exactly where that one came from. But as you can see there are loads of opportunities ...
Errrr looking back I must have been bloody mad!

IMG_5763.jpg

Great shot for the theme and bonus points for the danger element.

No1 of your narrow images is really nice, I like the warm colours and it fits the theme very nicely.

Great shot for the theme and bonus points for the danger element.
Thanks Helen (y)

No1 of your narrow images is really nice, I like the warm colours and it fits the theme very nicely.
Cheers Jim (y) The follow ups were just to show what a twatt I'd been :D

Narrow
That first shot is great, with the bird in the background, it's shows a good perspective.

Week 47 Paper ( comes from trees right?) and another excuse to post yet another wannabe tree.
This time its a cork bark Elm.
So called because of the texture in the bark.
Some elms are deciduous some part deciduous.
Its sad when the leaves go, but it gives me a good look at the branch structure and think about my options
before the buds start to break again.

Paper-(tree).jpg

(Paper) Money doesn't grow on trees does it?

Money.jpg

Both images 12 image stack. Canon M50 and kit lens.
Tree 9" from top of pot.

Last edited:
So you have the Conservatives magic money tree.

nice bonsai tree though, how old is it?
good use of stacking and I like the slight shadow being cast on the wall behind.

nice bonsai tree though, how old is it?
good use of stacking and I like the slight shadow being cast on the wall behind.
Cheers Allan (y)
The tree is about 10 years old, I'm glad you like the shadow, I'm crap at controlling them and it was actually unintentional :D

Fab idea and shot :)

There's a shadow on the wall behind? Not on this laptop there isn't (even when I turn the brightness up to 11 !)
I think it's the unadorned bonsai for me Chris.
Is the second one after iXSony100Dave70DV has sent you yet more bribes for Jazz themes? ;)

There's a shadow on the wall behind? Not on this laptop there isn't (even when I turn the brightness up to 11 !)
Bottom half Tim its very subtle under the 2 lower branches.

I think it's the unadorned bonsai for me Chris.
Cheers Tim the second was only for the grin factor
Is the second one after iXSony100Dave70DV has sent you yet more bribes for Jazz themes?
That's some of it, I'm still waiting for the rest (y)

Apologies for the lck of comments on your earlier mega catch-up Chris. Love the Rhino shot most of that bunch.

Narrow. I really like the first shot. They certainly squeeze into a tight space on the cliffs.
Paper. I like the idea of the money tree. You must have a better climate where you are.... it won't grow in my garden!

Ooh, I like a nice bonsai. Nice lighting and can you tell me where you bought the money tree? I could really do with one of those

I like the lighting in this. At 9” that is very cute. I didn’t know trees could be part deciduous - does that mean they lose some but not all their leaves?

Lucky you having a money tree [emoji23]

If memory serves me well, I think there is a paper bark tree which I think I came across on my travels.... I will have to look it up now.

Apologies for the lck of comments on your earlier mega catch-up Chris. Love the Rhino shot most of that bunch.

Narrow. I really like the first shot. They certainly squeeze into a tight space on the cliffs.
Cheers Pete (y) and no need to apologise I've been a bit lax all round too TBH.

can you tell me where you bought the money tree?
You plant a pound coin and sometimes you are lucky :)
Send me a few and I'll try it for you in my Bonsai nursery (y)

Ooh, I like a nice bonsai. Nice lighting
Cheers Jim (y)

I like the lighting in this. At 9” that is very cute
Thanks Bee (y)

I didn’t know trees could be part deciduous - does that mean they lose some but not all their leaves?
Pretty much yes.

Lucky you having a money tree
emoji23.png
As above to Jim :D

If memory serves me well, I think there is a paper bark tree
Are you thinking of the London plane tree?

Beautiful Bonsai and I like the lighting on it. Where can I buy one of those in the second shot? :giggle:
Cheers Stan (y)
And as above, you need to plant £1 coins, in a special growing medium, they don't all ( always ) "take" but send me a few and I'll try for you (y)

I like your kittiwake on the narrow ledge looking over its shoulder at you.

The paper money tree fits the theme well but I can see that the plain bonsai keeps up the shoe-horn tradition.

I like your kittiwake on the narrow ledge looking over its shoulder at you.

The paper money tree fits the theme well but I can see that the plain bonsai keeps up the shoe-horn tradition.
Thanks Phil, I had no idea it was a Kittiwake TBH (y)
and I'm always happy to keep a tradition running :D

That's a lovely bonsai - I like it with leaves shed so you can see the skeleton of a large tree in miniature. A lovely crisp image too.
Does Rishie know you've got his tree.. I think he might be needing it soon!

Unadorned for me as well. Fascinating trees Chris - thanks for showing us behind the curtain.
Cheers Alex, (y) they are ( well mostly) quite pretty in their winter clothes even the totally bares ones :)

I like it with leaves shed so you can see the skeleton of a large tree in miniature
Thank Helen (y)
It gives me the opportunity to see what needs chopping off and what needs to be improved, either by wire or natural pruning.

Does Rishie know you've got his tree.. I think he might be needing it soon!
I'm sure he has a bigger one than me stashed away somewhere :D

Paper
How many bonsai trees do you have, it seems to be a different one every time?
I still find it amazing how they can survive.

How many bonsai trees do you have,
About 24 "proper" trees and about another 12 in training / growing on .
it seems to be a different one every time?
I think so, so far anyway (y)

I still find it amazing how they can survive.
You supply all their needs like anything, food, water and sunlight.
This time of the year some need to be protected from frosts though, but most are hardy down to -10oC
I will admit I lost a couple of "trainees" last year down them getting excessively wet during the winter.
Yes they can drown as well as dying of thirst.

Web - cam barely a shoe horn in sight this week too

web-cam.jpg

Who’d have thought it amazing what macro camera lenses reveal these days

Is that the new travel octapod? I've heard that it's 2⅔ better than the old one and that the reports of occasional nibbles are fake news!

Back