weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

good one David. Meets the theme test - very clever use of the glove to reinforce the "fragility" of the cup. I agree that the glove could do with a touch of extra lighting. It might also appeal even more if we could see all of the handle. The junction of the handle and the cup is sometimes thought of as a weak point of the construction of a cup and so being able to examine it would add to the theme ..maybe!

Hi again.... Nice touch with glove and like the way it's been lit so you can start to see through the fine china to show how delicate and fragile it is.... Maybe a touch more light to emphasise the effect more but then it might spoil the delicate feel to the shot if over lit so I'll just shut up [emoji23]

Hi David

week 1 bliss - you have nailed the lighting on this one (main reason for my challenge) and I don't mind the background cos the colour suits it
week 2 fragile - the hand needs more light but I like the way you've got light on the cup showing how thin and fragile it is :)

I agree that more of the handle should be shown but the glove definitely shows the fragility of the cup.

Wow, that really does look fragile, I love how you can actually see your fingers through the fine transluscent porcelain!

Thanks for the feedback .... yep it's backlit of course to get the fingers visible through the farside of the cup. I don't know if more light on the glove would improve things or not. My lighting techniques are a bit limited. I was sitting on the floor, black cloth draped over chair under window, camera operated by left hand on low tripod, between my legs, facing window. It's difficult holding that cup in that position to capture the right amount of colour on the nearside and fingers on the farside without dropping it with that damned glove on.

Last edited:
Lovely lighting and a good idea to backlight.

Those gloves totally remind me of Fingerbobs, but subsequent YouTube searching shows I've had a memory fail.

Hi d00d, it does look very delicate you can see through it, nicely exposed.
love the explanation of how it was taken, we do some stupid things just to get a pic

HA! ... best thing about the 52s or the 52s so far this year is those tales of the lengths folk went to ....

Nice one. The glove reinforces the idea of fragile, and the composition works well. Maybe a little lighter and brighter though for me.

A nice idea well shot. Works for me (y)

Nice one David - the glove really works well for me. The lighting too, coming through the thin china is very smart. As an aside, I have some gloves like that for when I'm scanning/touching my negatives but yours look far better fitting... where did you get them from out of interest?!?

I do think a touch more exposure would help and perhaps an bit of extra fill, but tightly directed into the area made by the palm of the hand, so it spills slightly on the pattern of the cup. You'd need a gridded snoot or something, I reckon, but that would really lift it for me.

Good job though - nicely on theme. Image is a tiny bit noisy - were you shooting at high ISO?

Thanks Nick, Simon & Paul (y)

As an aside, I have some gloves like that for when I'm scanning/touching my negatives but yours look far better fitting... where did you get them from out of interest?!?
I originally shot this with no glove then the boss produce a pair of white ones. Perfect! The boss loves vintage retro clothes/accessories and likes haggling at market stalls then filling wardrobes with the stuff. Just googled the name on the label: Neyret, and found this webpage, yes ladies gloves but they stretch.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/202039058/on-sale-neyret-paris-vintage-wedding?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=neyret gloves&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Good job though - nicely on theme. Image is a tiny bit noisy - were you shooting at high ISO?
Only 12800 :LOL: as it was set on Auto. You're the first to mention that, yes I thought it noisy so tried another shot down at 400 ISO ... colours on the cup were dull and glove looked pinkish. I know I should have tried something in between but got sidetracked, then later thought the above shot was good so posted it.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Bliss - almond liqueur would get my vote any time. I like the way you've composed the shot too.

Fragile - wow, it certainly is, you can see your fingers through the cup. Again, I like the composition and the crop

Hi there. Just trying to catch up on a few...

Your Fragile really coveys the delicate nature of the cup. The translucent cup with the fingers showing through, the gloves holding the cup against the black background... It all works really well. Is is me or is there a tiny bit of CA on the bottom left & top right of the glove?
Great photo (y)

Kensington Palace (or one corner of it) this morning

Week 3 : Scenic

3.scenic1.jpg

Hi d00d, and I thought this was your house, for me a little off the top lose a little of the sky

I am surprised how close you can get, no security ?, had a bit of an incident at the Duke of Westminster's house last year I was stopped taking pics by some rather large security people and I was only at the gates

Hiya David - nice clean shot of the palace with a good bit of interest from the tree. I'd also be inclined to lose a sliver of sky, but also try to get there a touch earlier for some golden-ness!

Good capture though and some nice side lighting.

Great shot d00d, that tree really adds to the scenic-ness. A very different view of KP than the one most of us are used to seeing with the formal gardens and Queen Vic statue :clap:

Good scenic theme and a grand building. Just a shame that the weather is not playing ball with very little features just a plain sky.
thanks Stan ... but I can't get enough of that sky.

Scenic - great shot for the theme.
Thanks Mandy

Hi d00d, and I thought this was your house, for me a little off the top lose a little of the sky

I am surprised how close you can get, no security ?, had a bit of an incident at the Duke of Westminster's house last year I was stopped taking pics by some rather large security people and I was only at the gates
You can just walk right in ... they probably have security cameras, black helicopters and men in raybans ... but hey ...

Hi David, good shot and bang on theme :)
thanks lorraine

Hi d00d excellent choice... I would nick a tiny bit of that blue sky out, but love the aspect ...so glad you got the whole of that wonderful tree in the shot.
You want some blue sky? ... help yourself.

Hiya David - nice clean shot of the palace with a good bit of interest from the tree. I'd also be inclined to lose a sliver of sky, but also try to get there a touch earlier for some golden-ness!

Good capture though and some nice side lighting.
thanks Paul ... it wasn't the perfect time of day but could have been worse.

Great shot d00d, that tree really adds to the scenic-ness. A very different view of KP than the one most of us are used to seeing with the formal gardens and Queen Vic statue :clap:
Thanks Elaine ... yes, I like to think this is the alternative angle.

Fragile - great use of backlighting, like the gloves. A great interpretation of the theme
Scenic - different pov which i like
Companions - spot on focus, composition and lighting

Love the scenic shot David. Companions equally great shot. Good thinking! :)

Companions, thats a great idea, it fits well David (y)

Back