weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

I really like these strong contrasting images that appear simple. Salt & Pepper. Lovely.

Fragile - great use of backlighting, like the gloves. A great interpretation of the theme
Scenic - different pov which i like
Companions - spot on focus, composition and lighting

Thanks Hazel for all you positive feedback. I do realise there is a little something in each image that could be improved upon.

Yeeeees that's great d00d ...did you use you macro lens, I actually had a go at salt crystals last week just for some macro practice ....you've done a great job there, you've captured lots of detail :clap:

thanks susie ... in the end I used my 35mm prime on f.18 to get everything in focus (more or less), ISO @ 100, exposure time of 5 secs, no lighting apart from a rainy sky outside. I cropped 80%-90% off the sooc.

I'm going to be using that combination more in future. :)

Last edited:
Hi I was going to do is salt-and-pepper one myself using a Ying and Yang symbol. It looks a little under expose on my iPad and that Paper pod near the bottom could do with shifting a little bit to the right. Yhere are some nice details and textures in there, though.

Cheers.

oohhh I do like your companions shot - very difficult to get the exposure right when you have light and dark like that :clap:

Companions. Brilliant my favorite pic of the week

Hi David :)

Scenic - A lovely building that, but hey what a great tree, a striking part of the image for me, stands out great against the sky, good to get a shot with no people i it too (y)

Companions - Perfect choice for the theme, a nice macro shot, good exposure considering the vast contrast of the two halves, looks like there is no blowing, there is good detail in the peppercorns and a nice glisten on the salt... nice one :)

Hi again [emoji4]
Nice take on companions, love the way the salt has turned out especially, great job balancing out such a strong contrast!

Hi I was going to do is salt-and-pepper one myself using a Ying and Yang symbol. It looks a little under expose on my iPad and that Paper pod near the bottom could do with shifting a little bit to the right. Yhere are some nice details and textures in there, though.

Cheers.
Thanks

Yes I've seen salt-and-pepper done Ying and Yang style before ... that's what inspired me to go one better with random freestyle creative form.

And yes we know everything looks a little under expose on your iPad Andy. :exit:

oohhh I do like your companions shot - very difficult to get the exposure right when you have light and dark like that :clap:
Thank you summer, as mentioned above, I used minimal natural daylight and long exposure.

Companions. Brilliant my favorite pic of the week
Simon ... what more could a 52er dream of hearing!

Companions - Great idea and nicely composed. Works with the theme perfectly (y)
Thanks Lee (y)

Hi David :)

Scenic - A lovely building that, but hey what a great tree, a striking part of the image for me, stands out great against the sky, good to get a shot with no people i it too (y)

Companions - Perfect choice for the theme, a nice macro shot, good exposure considering the vast contrast of the two halves, looks like there is no blowing, there is good detail in the peppercorns and a nice glisten on the salt... nice one :)
Thanks DK ... glad you like the Scenic tree ... generally ignored in favour of the Queen Vic statue on the left side which I chose to omit. There was a woman in a red coat down there who got shopped out.

And thanks for your Companions approval.

Hi again [emoji4]
Nice take on companions, love the way the salt has turned out especially, great job balancing out such a strong contrast!
Thanks Ferg.

Last edited:
Week 5 : Elegant

5.elegant.1.jpg

Thanks Stan ... I knew you were going to say that ;)

so now here's my edit ...

5.elegant.2.jpg

Hi, i quite liked it offset I thought it worked well and out of the two i still prefer the first one

The edits works for me. Almost looks like they are standing in water.

Yeah, like this one, you've done well with the highlights.

Cheers.

Thanks all. I now prefer the extra light and therefore the more detail (especially below the waist) of the first one.

Mon & Tues been trying to get a decent shot of a statue, memorial, sculpture, even shop mannequin ... something that says "elegant", been round London parks, squares, shops but got nothing I was too happy with so abandoned the lot and went for this lamp we have at home.

First shot for me. You could have used this for companions as well.

Companions - A nice idea, and nicely done. I like the simplicity of the shot, the two sets of tones, clearly separated. It works well.

I like the definition on the bulb in Elegant, I find that really hard to do. A nice piece to photograph too.

Last edited:
Another week and another fantastic shot from you no crit just a great picture. :clap:

Really good entry again David. I too prefer the first shot. I like the stronger contrast. Also, as Nick mentioned, it's nice to see definition on the light casing. Well exposed and a good choice of a square crop. I also like the range of tones across the image from bright to dark.

Nothing to crit at all. Lovely shot.

Very elegant indeed.
I'm going to plump for the first one simply because I don't feel that the lamp suits a more square crop :)

I'm with Andy @posiview TBH. It does look like they are standing in (Misty) water (y)

Hi David and sorry I'm late catching up :(

Scenic - I'm in the 'crop out a bit of the sky' camp, sorry, but I really like the image and the skeleton of the tree is fab.

Companions - that is a cracking shot and my fave of the theme :clap::clap::clap:

Elegant - #1 for me as the vignette echoes that it is a lamp (y)

Well I'm delighted to receive such positive appraisal.

Thanks Stan, Allan, Susie, Andy, DK, Mandy, Steven, Lorraine, Mandy, Nick, Simon, Ian, Ruth, Darren, Lynne, Phitt and not least Jill for everything including liking Companion so much. (y)

A nice close up David (y)
I think maybe I would have preferred to see all the Kiwi fruit though.

Hi d00d quite like the crop, even closer maybe:thinking: only crit it seems to lack a little brightness, but only slightly

Hi David.
Watery....I like the crop very much.
A tad brighter? Maybe, but as it is, it's pretty faithful to a kiwi!

I find myself wishing for just one tear of kiwi juice to be sliding down the flesh though.

Elegant - definitely the first edit for me, the 2nd seems too cropped at the bottom. Bang on theme for sure!
Watery - I too wondered whether you could go closer? Maybe darken the background just a smidge but a good take on the theme
;)

Back