weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

OK, so I saw references to angry men and "pity about the wall" and wondered if I was missing a photo, so I scrolled to the top and read the first post on this page and thought "no... there are no other photos before this". Then I realised there was a link to the soc version which I actually think is an awesome piece of candiddery.

Your edits remove the concept of "size" from the shot which I'm still in two minds about. It's a brilliant interpretation of the theme and immediately caught my attention on the main images thread, but I can't help thinking that the soc version is better because of that miserable man and the size of the "doll". A bit of cropping to take a bit off the bottom and right hand edge and a lift to the mans face to get some light back into it and I think you'd have a winner.

Either way it's my favourite Bold entry for the week. Well done!

OK, so I saw references to angry men and "pity about the wall" and wondered if I was missing a photo, so I scrolled to the top and read the first post on this page and thought "no... there are no other photos before this". Then I realised there was a link to the soc version which I actually think is an awesome piece of candiddery.

Your edits remove the concept of "size" from the shot which I'm still in two minds about. It's a brilliant interpretation of the theme and immediately caught my attention on the main images thread, but I can't help thinking that the soc version is better because of that miserable man and the size of the "doll". A bit of cropping to take a bit off the bottom and right hand edge and a lift to the mans face to get some light back into it and I think you'd have a winner.

Either way it's my favourite Bold entry for the week. Well done!

Thank you Ian ... I like the wall, adds interest and I shot from that position to get the light - from the window other side of the wall - on her face.

I know what you mean about the SOOC ... helps to put things into perspective, but it is a little wonky, shot from the hip with my pocket camera. Maybe it could have been tidied up a bit.

Thank you very much everyone who commented on my BOLD image, saying such nice things too! (y)

WEEK 8 - RELAX

I spent some time at the British Museum yesterday [a fave hangout of mine nowadays] taking people pics: candid shots of people relaxing. With its new glass covered courtyard with cafes and pillars to hide behind, it's a good spot. But when I viewed the images on my pc I wasn't over excited so this week I'm posting a second quicky I shot this morning.

Relax #1
8.relax1.jpg

Relax #2
8.relax3.jpg

Last edited:
good choice I think, the museum shot actually looks quite frantic and busy or the opposite of relaxed. Your feet however, is a lovely shot. Nothing I can fault, not even the pink sox :p lol :)

I agree with Summer, the museum does look a bit bustling, but nothing like putting your feet up to relax (y)

Hi d00d, i quite like the museum shot but as the others have pointed out its a little busy, but I get what you are trying to put over, a quick sit down before the bustle of the museum
so to buck the trend I will go for that one
what on earth are you watching in the second one, cartoons :thinking:

Whilst agreeing that the museum shot - as it turned out - wasn't quite right for the theme ... there is a cathedral-like hush and all is very relaxed.

Here's a stock photo ... they change the exhibits and cafe table layout from time to time.

I like your first shot for relax David, amidst all the people and I get a sense of the peace and quiet which accompanies thoughtful reading and being lost in your phone :) whether that be a good or a bad thing. I tend to go for the latter but its something I do a lot of. Good work.

Hi David,

Another vote for the first shot - the couple have clearly been able to ignore everything going on around them and thy do look pretty relaxed

Relax No 1 is defintiely my favourite. I like shots like this, a lot.

Relax - the foot shot is epitomy of relax for me, well taken, id only improve by being a bit more careful with focus, looks to have missed the subject a touch as its a little soft, maybe a little bigger apperture and more of the foot would be in focus.

just my 2 penneth

keep at it, your images are very nice, i will be checking back thats for sure

#1 is a great shot. My first thought was like others it looks busy but I could totally see what you were looking to achieve.
I would go as far to say its probably my favorite shot of the week for relax so far (y)

#1 for Relax for me as I can see someone shouting at this lot 'Relax for @@@@@ sake!' So it screams a command to me. We spend so much time interacting with technology we forget how to relax with each other sometimes.

Hi David,
Relax #1 would get my vote too.
I have developed something of an obsession for people shots so this was an obvious choice for me.
It tells a little story in itself and as Jill mentioned above, technology can sometimes get in the way of interaction.

Good work David, the British Museum is a particular favourite of mine too, lovely natural lighting in there.

Love the socks - an excellent take on the theme, but what on earth were you watching on telly???? o_O

good choice I think, the museum shot actually looks quite frantic and busy or the opposite of relaxed. Your feet however, is a lovely shot. Nothing I can fault, not even the pink sox :p lol :)
Thanks Summer ... frantic, yes I guess it may seem that way but no these are tourists with all the time in the world.

I agree with Summer, the museum does look a bit bustling, but nothing like putting your feet up to relax (y)
(y)

Hi d00d, i quite like the museum shot but as the others have pointed out its a little busy, but I get what you are trying to put over, a quick sit down before the bustle of the museum
so to buck the trend I will go for that one
what on earth are you watching in the second one, cartoons :thinking:
:thinking: erm I was watching my socks.

I like your first shot for relax David, amidst all the people and I get a sense of the peace and quiet which accompanies thoughtful reading and being lost in your phone :) whether that be a good or a bad thing. I tend to go for the latter but its something I do a lot of. Good work.
(y)

Hi David,

Another vote for the first shot - the couple have clearly been able to ignore everything going on around them and thy do look pretty relaxed
Thanks Lorraine ... Glad you you like #1 ... the couple I think are probably father & daughter.

Relax No 1 is defintiely my favourite. I like shots like this, a lot.
Thanks Martin ... Glad you like it "a lot", that encourages me to do more shooting of this sort. (y)

Relax - the foot shot is epitomy of relax for me, well taken, id only improve by being a bit more careful with focus, looks to have missed the subject a touch as its a little soft, maybe a little bigger apperture and more of the foot would be in focus.

just my 2 penneth

keep at it, your images are very nice, i will be checking back thats for sure
Thanks nathan ... kind words ... and you're absolutely right about the aperture. I've got a newish 35mm f1.8 and most of the time all I can think about is setting it at 1.8

Hi David
Another vote for #2
Feet up, TV on.. Defo relax for me.
(y)

I like both but #1 just edged it for me. I like the contrasting of the foreground scene, two persons relaxing and the background of people rushing about.
(y)

#1 is a great shot. My first thought was like others it looks busy but I could totally see what you were looking to achieve.
I would go as far to say its probably my favorite shot of the week for relax so far (y)
favorite shot of the week :ty:

#1 for Relax for me as I can see someone shouting at this lot 'Relax for @@@@@ sake!' So it screams a command to me. We spend so much time interacting with technology we forget how to relax with each other sometimes.
(y)

Hi David,
Relax #1 would get my vote too.
I have developed something of an obsession for people shots so this was an obvious choice for me.
It tells a little story in itself and as Jill mentioned above, technology can sometimes get in the way of interaction.

Good work David, the British Museum is a particular favourite of mine too, lovely natural lighting in there.
Thanks Iain ... as far as candids go, the BM is great compared to somewhere like a shopping mall because there are so many cameras around nobody takes any notice of me with mine.

Love the socks - an excellent take on the theme, but what on earth were you watching on telly???? o_O
Thanks Lorraine ... as stated above the DOF is a touch too shallow. On TV? daytime? I like Barefoot Contessa and Escape to the Country but yes I know what you mean, it looks like disney animation doesn't it!

Feet up, telly on. Relax.

I've got a lot of shots like this in my LR catalogue! I think it typifies "relax" for me and is a really good representation of the topic. Maybe add a nice pair of slippers next time!

Feet up....telly on....job done :)

... and two more telly addict ... thanks Ian and Ruth. :)

Week 9 - Vertical .... PLUS SEE EDIT BELOW.

9.vertical.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a pig this week wasn't it?
Nice interpretation, with the two poles (y)

even though the flag pole isn't vertical, the flag is so hits the target for me. Seems to be a purple tinge to it all though

Thanks for all your pole talk, and yes @sturisoma the flag is blue.

I was going to do a TripStitch but then thought the Ermenegildo Zegna pic was by far the best *vertical shop name* of the dozen I'd snapped yesterday ... so thought I'd keep it simple and leave it at that. But anyway ...

From across the road here is vertical shop name #2

9.vertical3.jpg

Last edited:
Bold - that does look like a great find for the theme, like the edit much prefer the background in the edit.

Relax - two good choices, much prefer the simplicity of the second image and the bright pink socks.

Vertical - the first image for me, tho the colours seem a little bit washed out.

A good spot. I prefer the composition on the first shot. The edit is a bit central for me.

even though the flag pole isn't vertical, the flag is so hits the target for me. Seems to be a purple tinge to it all though

Thanks for all your pole talk, and yes @sturisoma the flag is blue.

Purple tinge ... yes see what you mean now, thought you were referring to the flag, but yes the whole thing is/was purplish ... I knew there was something wrong with it.

I love your edit :D

Another Bond Street flag ... last one ... promise:

9.vertical4.jpg

Another great interpretation on the theme really like the selective colour edit

WEEK 10 - MOUTH of the river Beverley flowing into the Thames at Putney taken from across the water in Fulham.

10.moutha.jpg

Last edited:
Very much like that. Glad you explained how you took it, I was wondering if you were in a boat as the shot appears to be taken from the water line.
Persumably you went down to the edge at low tide?
I like the counterpoint of the bright blue bridge against the murk of the Thames.
Is that some kind of lock gate under the bridge?

Hi d00d I had your tab open on the computer yesterday when I was commenting but I realised today I must have lost it and I'm miles behind on here :( Any road up, your thread is looking excellent, super museum shot, and I love the red socks they add to the cosy feel for Relax. Great choice for Vertical, I really like the Sotheby's one ....black and gold ....looks very classy.
And you've done your Mouth one too now, excellent choice of location with the shafts of sunlight and the blue bridge.
Your thread is looking great :)

Back