weekly d00d's 52 in 2017 ~ 51 Festive & 52 Weather

I wouldn't have guessed that was a merged bracket shot without you saying.
I didn't realise it was a cemetery either, I had the look of a flyover initially (yeah, okay so I'm weird).

On theme, but I'm missing a focal point. All those leading lines and no target.

Almost has a selective colour effect to it with the green algae in the foreground against the almost monochrome background, certainly has a dark, gloomy feel to it

Certainly has a dark and eerie feel to it, like Andy I think a slightly different viewpoint might have given a stronger image, it feels dominated by the large plain wall on the RHS to me. Although I suppose moving to the left would take away the view between the pillars and the information that it's a cemetry, tough choice but well done for doing something different for the theme.
Thanks Steve ... I like this place, there are many options ... I've yet to do something good with those pillars. :D

I wouldn't have guessed that was a merged bracket shot without you saying.
I didn't realise it was a cemetery either, I had the look of a flyover initially (yeah, okay so I'm weird).

On theme, but I'm missing a focal point. All those leading lines and no target.
Flyover. o_O ... haha

No target? fair point, I just fancied a small aperture job.

Almost has a selective colour effect to it with the green algae in the foreground against the almost monochrome background, certainly has a dark, gloomy feel to it
Dark and eerie look as Steve says, like the textures and green, goes well for the theme :)
Super atmospheric feel to that one d00d ...makes you wonder what's around the corner ... very nicely done.
Thanks Guys (y)

Here's one of the same venue TP52 2016 Wk 16 Vast

Practising my panning in Kensington Gardens this morning, I snapped about 30 passing cyclists in as many minutes. There are times when you wish the sun would go hide behind a cloud but you can't have everything (hmmm or maybe a filter would help!).

Week 12 Pedal Power
sZv44ShXJbMsgrCwpPlQrU-3YHCX-04R7P6o05md0ZIqig2yoG8p5CPjD3LIItjxVxFY-uHsTk93FTbI60HoVzDnJVZBsfEo13EG5sjPsnANa73QFefYV19pEEuudRUJmGWst0YZVxkR84ruSvMB3SWxpgM2M7XU2oRVJ07E6AD4otoktTahxoxSVrWa01ZYkKGK6EJEI83aFgEYlDgxCAZHjuXRucHYoy9WxOH0LIzeG0wVQJ4PSlPA1tGnSuqa29YN7ha35SepMXgrfTGvYA8SiYrrT5nN29zlKEQiz_3VDUDEfaj6YqP0QqbuoxVdB4heV_8oRoeUW7WeV0gahIJpC0WLqhQSSZ7ikxf8dVHbS1zmdP_1gAM5YEbyR03VPXjy1yiQc0eweBS0XgmYekoXN0Z0Z9nIwku5eUF3MdySo3PZSJusFi41pGHLOEELl43-Gv0stZMWNGvgug7SQJIFFz2E1MGtByhhyNg7evgJo_jVvvRP55lpaUkH9ZGox8jp2s0--VCmQjSLKZF6mOptt_dbOk1f90mxh5fCMxQr-TwMF9NPzYqTEyPUZlajv8587knenM1Tzdp3-tEDAkdpU9-Rb-un8glLNkQV4QOxmPZNZnUSMlBFcPcanbuXFwm35BWk2fkDyPld5GrI-N_EO8SQISBSNOifCkXrUQ=w1272-h917-no

Ncqv21u-mqd4Yo7EzZ9ORuvqmldFQ1OzIHPWfhghCSNYRnRn9x_mCvhRBRysV8XFnvoQMXPWj38Enb46Ml9OBAec-BpSaBhx-P_blAVOZJXtQ6me5P2woceDTJFlpFDjS8Bip2Bnbz175Lw-xg4frDOVUREYuV6d8uOF4Y8WOESQBdpGj7sNQLMOcgRjHABMiHWlpg_Q96zJyzGZ_rkipCEkLpzpOXatzyd_Z0NAah2_f9cKfA1Ew8TwtQ5iwAXN9oed1vY3uix2kBoFXdqlVdTL3CYBil345LPWb34IFVMvivWp6xBs2adS7jGckhzPJbx3pg4-fN0EJpLWMewU7RUINwz90UDUJszKBaeT4emzrh86vnu6MXSPE5m9MmCfsYJ2YCCBS8M0zxfjdTwbe781z8srZItBIn4npUlGcdY4dFm7Ry83GqrBId_KufW-fYjaouw0oL0f0oZD_Mftrmp1s9QmbJ0EXACjJl5Jb0GupX_K-fxrgbMWjFcc70G_3-iog_EiUIHOxWZ2m5ocHpUO4Xx3BR0kKBD4XwbNiacftBymA7hj-sJWMoUwbtruRH2aTE6FXFiA4L1QVv_nTFyp75JP8eXNX6eI2MiFpuDiozggotgnW_hNc1cO0Pa6PJviA2zZS60FWp4-NZ0tnthu6-QgDfXksymLVS0cog=w1385-h917-no

Last edited:
Great effort! I prefer #1, I think it has better light, but both are very sharp and excellently panned. But the bloke on the Boris Bike shouldn't be looking at his mobile phone, that's dangerous.

#1 for me too, the subject just looks a tad sharper but they both have a good sense of motion which fits the theme.

Thanks guys ... yes #1 is a beaut isn't it! ... wider angle, better/sharper focus, lower POV, different camera!

Last edited:
#1 has it for me. The fact that he is looking down and not where he is going, adds a little more intrest

Good subjects and well panned. Of the pair, his preoccupation with his phone adds a bit more interest to the shot than the second.

Power, prefer the first as he's quite sharp, a second showing him riding straight into a tree would have been perfect to show him not to ride and use his phone!!!!!

(y)

I like the eerie feel in dark, but almost feel it could lose the left wall completely/mostly. Definitely the first power shot for me - the face looks a lot sharper and there's the added interest of how many small children he mowed down..!

#2 for me. Because you appear to be using a faster shutter speed (or she's cycling slower) and there is some definition of the spokes.
I always find panning left to right harder than right to left. How about you?

Great effort! I prefer #1, I think it has better light, but both are very sharp and excellently panned. But the bloke on the Boris Bike shouldn't be looking at his mobile phone, that's dangerous.
Got too be #1 for me too, and agree he should not be on his phone. Good panning too David :)
both work as they are the same thing so either one for me
Love the idea for the theme d00d .... they look excellent to me, that guy looks so relaxed cycling along using his phone :police:
#1 for me too, the subject just looks a tad sharper but they both have a good sense of motion which fits the theme.
#1 has it for me. The fact that he is looking down and not where he is going, adds a little more intrest
Good subjects and well panned. Of the pair, his preoccupation with his phone adds a bit more interest to the shot than the second.
Nice idea and perfectly captured. Good composition with space for the subject to move into.
Power, prefer the first as he's quite sharp, a second showing him riding straight into a tree would have been perfect to show him not to ride and use his phone!!!!!
I like the eerie feel in dark, but almost feel it could lose the left wall completely/mostly. Definitely the first power shot for me - the face looks a lot sharper and there's the added interest of how many small children he mowed down..!
Agree with the popular choice of #1 being the stronger shot. Looks the sharper of the two for me.
Great commenting guys ... thanks so much (y)

#2 for me. Because you appear to be using a faster shutter speed (or she's cycling slower) and there is some definition of the spokes.
I always find panning left to right harder than right to left. How about you?
Ha ... interesting comment Tim ... #2 is flipped [the proof is in the shadows] I did it because of the L > R photography school thing but couldn't do it with the Santander word ... for what it's worth.

Above is really well framed, almost heart shaped!

Attractive is great too, you captured some very candid shots there.

Dark feels eery and ominous, spot on theme.

a great grouping of people no one spilling over the edge either nicely done

Well spotted and nicely taken. British Museum? I also like that the wall is almost straight :)

Above is really well framed, almost heart shaped!

Attractive is great too, you captured some very candid shots there.

Dark feels eery and ominous, spot on theme.
Thank you for your input Dom(y)
Above, a nicely framed shot David of the students, all looking about with some busy too :)
The shape of the group really makes this shot from above.

(y)
a great grouping of people no one spilling over the edge either nicely done
Well spotted and nicely taken. British Museum? I also like that the wall is almost straight :)
Thanks all ... yes they were very obliging, and @brrnd yep it's the BM. (y)

The tables spoil it for me a little, but there isn't a great deal you can do about that. I don't know if its because there are 4 of them, or that horrible blue colour. I do love the way you have captured the crowd though, with that chap in the middle acting as a focal point for all the minions. Not often you see students looking busy :) A nice story being told by the image.

Thanks gremlin for your comments ... there was actually a fifth table, in the picture too, but that got cropped. It's can be quite challenging taking pictures there as it's under glass that can upset the WB, making the whole thing blue sometimes but on this occasion just the tables. I've taken a lot of picture for different themes at the BM over the past couple of years and my Nikon handles the WB on Auto better than my Canon.

Last edited:
I think Above is really very good, the way you have caught the group with no one cut off at the edges and the dark clothes against the white floor, very engaging :clap:

Good view from Above. Lots of detail in faces and body language to make you wonder what the 'double act' in the middle are singing (or not).:thinking:

Hi d00d, sorry I haven't checked in a for a while.
Routine is lovely, the reds are vivid and there's just the right amount of blur.
DOF is very well-judged in Numbers. Every time I see No.5 it reminds me of when I shared a building with Chanel on Bond Street and they frequently parked their delivery van with the number plate "NO 5" outside.
Perhaps there's a little too much wall in Dark, but I like the view through the pillars - more so since I noticed the top of the distant hill just rising above the mist. Creepy!
Above is great, lots to keep your attention. I keep looking a the guy in the grey hoodie at about 4pm is he about to break his own neck?

Hi d00d, sorry I haven't checked in a for a while.
Routine is lovely, the reds are vivid and there's just the right amount of blur.
DOF is very well-judged in Numbers. Every time I see No.5 it reminds me of when I shared a building with Chanel on Bond Street and they frequently parked their delivery van with the number plate "NO 5" outside.
Perhaps there's a little too much wall in Dark, but I like the view through the pillars - more so since I noticed the top of the distant hill just rising above the mist. Creepy!
Above is great, lots to keep your attention. I keep looking a the guy in the grey hoodie at about 4pm is he about to break his own neck?
Thanks Nick (y) .... appreciate the good feedback, can't be easy. Yes the guy at 4pm haha, and that Dark place with pillars is one for a reshoot I think.

Excellent choice d00d and it looks as if they posed in that heart shape just for you :)
I think Above is really very good, the way you have caught the group with no one cut off at the edges and the dark clothes against the white floor, very engaging :clap:
Good view from Above. Lots of detail in faces and body language to make you wonder what the 'double act' in the middle are singing (or not).:thinking:
Above - nicely taken with lots of interest to keep the attention. As Chris said it's very well framed to get everyone in without anyone being cut off.
Thanks all (y) I guess I was lucky ... they suddenly appeared and suddenly disappeared, I don't know what they were doing. If 1 or 2 were teachers none of the pupils seemed to be paying attention.

Last edited:
Back