weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Great concept, who doesn't like a bit of time in front of the box with a beverage and nibbles, has as already been said its a little bit dark in the foreground.

Great concept, who doesn't like a bit of time in front of the box with a beverage and nibbles, has as already been said its a little bit dark in the foreground.
Thanks John :)

Finding this one tough to get the best compronise in lighting ...

Ah you can't beat a classic flick and nibbles! Like the scene a lot and you've balanced the various parts of it well with such limited light! It's deffo worth viewing this on a big monitor too - looks a bit dark on the iPhone but spot on when on the Mac.

Tweeks have improved the picture - the first one I didn't even notice your hand in it - viewed through iPad.

Not that I have the experience to judge but I think you have done a good job in difficult lighting.

Those corner to corner crops have worked wonders with patterns - the panoramic one is my favourite, although the square crop gives more of an abstract feel in fitting with the theme.
I far prefer the new crop on the third one too.

Thanks Mandy :)

BUT I must admit, I am now infront of the tv on my lappy, and the image is still a bit dark for me... might try another in a few days once I hear the feedback :)

Still a bit dark for me too TBH.
Is a reshoot possibly on the cards or just some lightening in PP?
If you were re-doing it completely I'd be really tempted to get some directional light behind the glass and popcorn - I reckon even a cleverly concealed torch or two would do it - just to give the impression that the TV screen is iluminating the glass and bowl more than it actually is.
I reckon you'd get some very nice backlighting through that glass and some good rim light on the edge of the popcorn bowl that way.

Definitely my idea of blissful though - even if the process of getting it just right has probably been anything but!

Last edited:
Ah you can't beat a classic flick and nibbles! Like the scene a lot and you've balanced the various parts of it well with such limited light! It's deffo worth viewing this on a big monitor too - looks a bit dark on the iPhone but spot on when on the Mac.

It is definitely best viewed on a monitor, well it has been for me, tablet, laptop and wifes iphoney are just not showing the detail :)

Yep, the tweaks make all the difference to the image.
Thanks David :)

Tweeks have improved the picture - the first one I didn't even notice your hand in it - viewed through iPad.

Not that I have the experience to judge but I think you have done a good job in difficult lighting.
Thank You Perry :)

Those corner to corner crops have worked wonders with patterns - the panoramic one is my favourite, although the square crop gives more of an abstract feel in fitting with the theme.
I far prefer the new crop on the third one too.
Thanks Sarah... I prefer them too :)

Still a bit dark for me too TBH.
Is a reshoot possibly on the cards or just some lightening in PP?
In this instance with my workload and both business and home move in the next few months PP is going to be my route for sure :D
If you were re-doing it completely I'd be really tempted to get some directional light behind the glass and popcorn - I reckon even a cleverly concealed torch or two would do it - just to give the impression that the TV screen is iluminating the glass and bowl more than it actually is.
I reckon you'd get some very nice backlighting through that glass and some good rim light on the edge of the popcorn bowl that way.
That sounds a great idea... I may do this for the next Re-Shoot as I want this one to work, especially like the idea of the rim lighting to the popcorn, sounds excellent :) :) :)

Definitely my idea of blissful though - even if the process of getting it just right has probably been anything but!
Thanks again... I'm enjoying the challenge that's the main thing :)

Nice idea for patterns, I think the longer corner to corner crop works best for me compositionally. I really like the low sun shadows from the stones, smacks of the season. I like the idea of bliss too, and it's nicely done, particularly after the tweaks, but for some reason the oof movie annoys me a little. I have no idea why, I'm not even a sci-fi fan! Maybe even more oof would do it... not sure?

Nice idea for patterns, I think the longer corner to corner crop works best for me compositionally. I really like the low sun shadows from the stones, smacks of the season. I like the idea of bliss too, and it's nicely done, particularly after the tweaks, but for some reason the oof movie annoys me a little. I have no idea why, I'm not even a sci-fi fan! Maybe even more oof would do it... not sure?
Thanks Nick :)

Very true, it isn't as ooh as I expected, probe needed a wider lens as I wanted to be close in to get arm and drink in etc, so was at it's widest 24mm, could have done with it zoomed in a bit (would have struggled to see the screen between the chairs if further back :))

Love the edit as I can now see your hand and the popcorn without having to tip my screen towards me. Only crit now is buy a bigger TV :exit::coat:
Thanks too Jill, glad you can see things clearer after edit :)

Now then... Bigger Screen, I'd be so lucky bigger would not fit in the room, the image on the shot is from my Projector so is in fact 120" :D

Thats my idea of bliss the drink especially. My pic of the round so far(y)

I like all your pattern shots in post 76 but the last of the three is my favourite of the three because the sea isn't in it making all of the image a pattern. I really like the crop too.

The bliss image is much better with the hand an popcorn lightened.

Good stuff!!

Thats my idea of bliss the drink especially. My pic of the round so far(y)
Cool - Thanks a lot Simon :) :cool:

I like all your pattern shots in post 76 but the last of the three is my favourite of the three because the sea isn't in it making all of the image a pattern. I really like the crop too.
Thanks Mike :)

Must agree I really like the foam, but it does distract slightly from the theme when it is there :)

The bliss image is much better with the hand an popcorn lightened.

Good stuff!!
Thanks again mate :)

I think it's a great idea, but it suffers from the low lighting. Unfortunately, I have no ideas as to how to improve it :)

You might get to have another go if the subject "Hell" comes out. Just swap the Guiness for Murphy's and Ep IV for Ep I

Sorry I can't be more constructive...

I think it's a great idea, but it suffers from the low lighting. Unfortunately, I have no ideas as to how to improve it :)
Thanks Ian... me neither :)

You might get to have another go if the subject "Hell" comes out. Just swap the Guiness for Murphy's and Ep IV for Ep I
LMAO :ROFLMAO:

Sorry I can't be more constructive...
No problem, thanks for visiting :)

Definitely a difficult one to light, great concept, well done

Phil
Cheers Phil :)

Dark Knight

I defo prefer your edit… however I still find the whole image a bit dark.

Try just going 1.33 stops brighter… I think that would do the trick!

Great idea though… Man Bliss!

Mark

Dark Knight

I defo prefer your edit… however I still find the whole image a bit dark.

Try just going 1.33 stops brighter… I think that would do the trick!

Great idea though… Man Bliss!

Mark
Ahhhh thanks Mark :) ... may try that on Sunday, think my evenings are going to be a tad busy this week :)

Like your idea of bliss Dark Knight. I think the edited version is my favourite

Really really like your patterns image, could see this on a big canvas print somewhere.......

:)

Pattern - I prefer the second and especially the wider crop version of this due to the DoF and slightly brighter exposure on the sand

Bliss - Talking of exposure I feel this is a little too dark for my taste but the theme is a feeling so maybe that allows more leniency on that front

Pattern - I prefer the second and especially the wider crop version of this due to the DoF and slightly brighter exposure on the sand
Thanks Peter :)

Bliss - Talking of exposure I feel this is a little too dark for my taste but the theme is a feeling so maybe that allows more leniency on that front
That's fair comment too :)

I think it's a good concept for Bliss and certainly one I can relate to (y) I echo other comments with a wish to have more light in the foreground, but there was enough for me to figure out what was going on in the scene, so not a train smash :)

Oh and a pint of vodka and coke... :exit:

Hi
Bliss
Great idea, difficult to capture.
prefer first edit, just enough light for me, just like sitting in cinema
:clap:

I think it's a good concept for Bliss and certainly one I can relate to (y) I echo other comments with a wish to have more light in the foreground, but there was enough for me to figure out what was going on in the scene, so not a train smash :)
Cheers Graham :)

Oh and a pint of vodka and coke... :exit:
Well hey... it's a good focal point and squeezes iintothe holder so GET IN :D

Hi
Bliss
Great idea, difficult to capture.
prefer first edit, just enough light for me, just like sitting in cinema
:clap:
Thanks Anita... just what I was trying to portray :)

pattern - liking the channels around the stones
bliss - got to love Star Wars, a drink, and some grub. I echo some other comments, a wee bit more light could make a big difference, but i can't say anything as you know I like dark images :cool:

pattern - liking the channels around the stones
bliss - got to love Star Wars, a drink, and some grub. I echo some other comments, a wee bit more light could make a big difference, but i can't say anything as you know I like dark images :cool:
Cheers james :)

Very true that you can't beat a dark image for atmosphere :D

Hi DK, Pattern, have to say I prefer the edited shots that Iain suggested great diagonals with the sand and water.

Bliss, you do know that other films have been made since Star wars which I have to confess to never having watched, anyway its dark but I can see just enough detail in there for it to work,
A pint of vodka and coke just for that you get :clap:
Living the dream:LOL:

Hi DK, Pattern, have to say I prefer the edited shots that Iain suggested great diagonals with the sand and water.
Cheers Allan :)

Bliss, you do know that other films have been made since Star wars
REALLY !!!

Well to be honest I nearly put on something from some newer stuff, but in the end setted for a classic :D

which I have to confess to never having watched,
:jawdrop:

anyway its dark but I can see just enough detail in there for it to work,
Thanks again mate :)
A pint of vodka and coke just for that you get :clap:
:beer:
Living the dream:LOL:
Oooooh yes, well, living in a dream :D

Just playing catch up on the feedback front as a latecomer :whistle:.
Bliss.... Dean you set yourself a hell of a challenge with your idea, but a really like the concept! I think the darkness works well but makes it harder to pick out the objects without some subjective lighting. I think you really need to use 'The Force' Dean..... What you need is obvious.... A light sabre!!!:) I reckon you could with practice just swipe the head off the Guinness with it and with a slow shutter speed catch the sweep of the sabre...
"Do. Or do not. There is no try."

It was a difficult shot but like the light at the bottom of the glass, I think the logo'd glass was a good idea as the light picks this out. I think you need some similar subtle light on the popcorn, to bring it up a tad...maybe some lighting in the bottom of the bowl before the popcorn as it's a bit translucent might lift it just enough. Your idea of bliss works for me mate.... But personally Rum works better than Vodka;).

Patterns.... Really like the wide crop of the pebbles on the beach focus seems quite selective centrally. The other two corner to corner with the foam line diagonally work well as strong diagonals often do. Nice contrast between the sand and the foaming water. Nice work.(y)

Now where's that bottle of Pussers
Cheers
Steve

Right here we go then onto week two...

Had this idea pretty much straight away due to my hopeful move later in the year I seem to be spending looooooads of time sorting rooms, garages & loft space Etc to get rid of years of hoarding...

I initially tried the this set up in my little gym/studio area, but having taken the shots and uploaded them on the PC I realised that they looked way too staged and should have been in a natural setting, so here we are in my kitchen, again the same set up, dragged my softbox in (I really must exchange the softbox for something smaller)... One light setup for this nothing exciting, Softbox low and directly behind me with me sat in front of it...

As always best viewed large on flickr :)

Wk 2 - 'Fragile'

Wk 2 - Fragile by TP DK, on Flickr

Fragile - a good take on the theme, lovely lighting. And I like the fact it's in a natural setting, my only niggle is the positioning of the boxes I think I'd like something a bit more natural looking with them. Mind you having said that I am not sure what you could do with them :thinking:.

Didn't like the colour anyway :), send the rest to a Greek restaurant.

Nicely lit, and spot on theme.

Hi DK, certainly on theme lighting is good but I am not sure about the BG its a difficult one as I don't know what else you could do,
maybe a crop of the RHS perhaps a square crop :thinking:
don't think you need all the boxes in the frame and it would maybe bring the smashed plates more central and obvious
just a thought

What a smashing idea :sorry: The lighting works well and the green design on the crockery gives a good contrast to all the brown of the cupboard doors and boxes. I just hope that if the dinner service was a wedding present, whoever gave it to you doesn't see this :eek:

Good call Dean, nicely executed.
Now clear up before the Mrs see's it :D

Back