weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

No problem, I like to compliment a decent shoe horn, in the hope that I'll have more than half of you on it before the 2017, 52'ers kick off :D
Now that 'Shoehorn' should be one of the themes !!!

OR... maybe a 'Wildest Shoehorn of the Month' competition :cool:

Ha ha - I like the fact that the sign is in three different scripts and I still can't make any sense of it. The Golden Shoehorn beckons.

Annnnnd now to bring me back up to date after a my holiday, albeit up to date for just 1 day, or 2 if the slippery theme puller is kind and does it Friday :D

One from this Sunday, testing my new camera out, Mrs DK and I had a really nice walk on the beach looking for the right spot, and in the end the camera got a good test for water sealing as it p***ed down :)

The right spot for me was to try and get the moody sky, milky/liquid water AND to try and get the offshore wind turbines OUT of the picture.

The best placed/looking groin unfortunately still kept a few turbines on the horizon, I did clone them out for one image but to be honest I prefer the image with them in, as it gives my eyes something to rest on leading from the steelwork...

I tried several shutter speeds, it was a very windy day on the coast, in the end I settled on this one:

24mm - f 22 - 5 sec - 1.2 ND hard grad - Little Stopper

Considering the wind and the effort I had to put in to shielding the camera I am please with the detail, though it could be a tad sharper - thanks as always for looking :)

Pffftt, a lot of faffing for this attempt ;)

Nope, really like it, Dean, lot's of detail and the rocks jammed between the posts really do add to the photograph. I like how the waves remove some of the detail towards the end of the water break.

Also works well in letterbox crop cutting out all the sky.

I don't say this often, but I'd get that printed big and have it on your kitchen wall.

Cheers.

Last edited:
:agree: with all that Andy says. The "letterbox" crop is a good idea too - makes it an even greater abstract quality.

Very nice indeed Dean worth the wait :p

The composition is really strong with the groins in the bottom left pulling you in the image.

I agree with Andy I can see that printed and on the wall.

Great photo, well worth the effort! But I think the sky adds to it, so no letterbox crop for me.

if the slippery theme puller is kind and does it Friday :D
Seeing it's you Dean ..... Nope :p

That has a surreal look about it, and as you said, in this instance I don't mind the turbines, it gives something to focus on, after the breakwater :)

Pffftt, a lot of faffing for this attempt ;)
I know, hey :D

Nope, really like it, Dean, lot's of detail and the rocks jammed between the posts really do add to the photograph. I like how the waves remove some of the detail towards the end of the water break.

Also works well in letterbox crop cutting out all the sky.

I don't say this often, but I'd get that printed big and have it on your kitchen wall.

Cheers.
THANKS for the compliment mate :cool:

Annnnd may try a wider print too, good spot :)
:agree: with all that Andy says. The "letterbox" crop is a good idea too - makes it an even greater abstract quality.
Thank you Carl, a lot :)

:clap: I like it and very theme fitting. You done well considering the weather conditions.
Cheers Stan :)

I was on the same line of thought as you about the turbines when I first looked at the shot. I agree with you about something to anchor your view after following through the line of groyne.
That's a relief, I really was in two minds thinking whether people would see it the same way :)

Very nice indeed Dean worth the wait :p
haha haaaaa thanks Mark... I think :LOL:

The composition is really strong with the groins in the bottom left pulling you in the image.

I agree with Andy I can see that printed and on the wall.
Blimey... thank you too :) :)

Love your zig zag defences and that's a nice sky too. Great colours.
Thank you Clive :)

Great photo, well worth the effort! But I think the sky adds to it, so no letterbox crop for me.
YAY !!! thank you brnd :)

Seeing it's you Dean ..... Nope :p
:mooning:

That has a surreal look about it, and as you said, in this instance I don't mind the turbines, it gives something to focus on, after the breakwater :)
Cheers Chris :)

Well... that seems to be the most consistent comments all year, thank you again all :)

liquid is like a dream sequence.. i keep meaning to try long exposure on waves to try for that soft fluffy look... 5 secs hey... [makes note of settings]

liquid is like a dream sequence.. i keep meaning to try long exposure on waves to try for that soft fluffy look... 5 secs hey... [makes note of settings]
Cheers Frank :)

You should give it a go, results are so variable from the same spot just with different exposures :)

Nice (y) ... with the zigzag coming out from the corner ... and def keep the sky and the windmills.

Nice (y) ... with the zigzag coming out from the corner ... and def keep the sky and the windmills.
Thank you David, I will be printing it first with them in :)

Wow...that is a wonderful shot Dean - tones, composition, mood just perfect for me! i think you were right to leave the turbines in - their positioning works well here
Cool... glad you agree, thanks Em :cool

And onto this week...

Mrs DK and I went for a nice walk today in a local wood, it wasn't the best of days for lighting, but still a very nice place to take a camera, the subject matter I was going to choose wasn't clear until we had been walking for 10 minutes, when Mrs DK spotted a likely candidate.

The shot was taken very low down and due to the poor light I popped it on my tripod.

My plan was to get the path, the chestnut and some of the tree canopy in the shot, I have managed it just, although I wanted more canopy, I have a couple of shots where there is more but it takes your eye away from the subject, so this I feel was the best compromise :)

Here you go - Week 43 'Cracked'

Thank for popping by as always :)

I really like that Dean love the horse chestnuts being right inn the foreground and the path fading with the DoF into the BG.

Great autumn colours.

I really like that Dean love the horse chestnuts being right inn the foreground and the path fading with the DoF into the BG.

Great autumn colours.
Oooo a very positive first comment - Thanks David opppps Mark :)

Last edited:
Thanks David :)
*Cough* :p

I like the idea Dean, but IMO, the image is a little too long, (big)
I have to scroll down to see it all there's about an inch or so missing off the bottom, on my 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Yes, I like the composition too Dean, gives a sense of space and solitude - lovely rich autumnal colours.

Oppps - Thanks Paul ;)

I like the idea Dean, but IMO, the image is a little too long, (big)
I have to scroll down to see it all there's about an inch or so missing off the bottom, on my 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor.
Hmmmm that's odd, 826 x 960 so thought would be fine... how's this instead 661 x 768 ??

Love the composition with the low viewpoint and the distance vanishing point. The pattern of the fallen leave adds further interest to the shot.
Thanks Stan :)

Last edited:
Interesting take on the theme, nice photo with the lone clump of chestnuts in the big space.

I like it, you have kept the focal point of the beech nuts (I think) really well, nice autumnal image

Liquid: Absolutely stunning, love the lines going to infinity and the water looks like it's fluffy enough to sleep on :D
Cracked: Love the second cut. The first one doesn't fit well on my screen :whistle: Would love to see the chestnut positioned a tad bit to the left, though

Interesting take on the theme, nice photo with the lone clump of chestnuts in the big space.
Thank you Chris :)

I like it, you have kept the focal point of the beech nuts (I think) really well, nice autumnal image
Thank you Allan :)

Well... to be honest I am not certain what they are, and by the looks of it neither have half of the planet according to google image :D

I love the colours, low pov and dof in this Dean - the feeling of the path stretching away and a lovely walk ahead - perfect! The vignette does feel a touch heavy to me, but that's a very personal thing.
Thank you Em :)

I see what you mean about the vignette, I did try a tad lighter but for me my eyes wandered around the image more, Soooooo your stuck with this edit :D

Liquid: Absolutely stunning, love the lines going to infinity and the water looks like it's fluffy enough to sleep on :D
Thank you Nora :)

Now then... the North Sea is far from fluffy, but I'd love to see you try :D

Cracked: Love the second cut. The first one doesn't fit well on my screen :whistle: Would love to see the chestnut positioned a tad bit to the left, though
Thank you again :)

As for the image size, instead of me faffing about having to re-post a smaller image, I think you should all just stop being selfish and buy yourselves BIGGER monitors :bat:

I like the idea, composition and colours... not so sure about the quite heavy vignette but if it's needed to keep the eyes from wandering around, who am I to argue...

Back