weekly Donna's 52 weekly challenge

Hi Donna, two nice on theme shots.

#1 You done well with the smoke and I like the out-of-focus flame but not sure about the white band or are they the blue flame round the charcoals.
Thanks Stan - I thought it was a little inconsiderate of the chef to put the lighter gel on the coals as I had never seen this gel before so does not reflect a true barbie (mate) - yes I';m a kiwi! :rolleyes:, but then hoped it would add another dimension to the photo o_O

Hi Donna ...two really nice shots there, both absolutely spot on for the topic, something draws me to the second shot a bit more, but they are both excellent.
Thanks Susie, I took this quite dark so had to boost the exposure so turned out quite grainy, hence I chose the other one. But I'd be keen to try this sort of shot again

Hi Donna, I can't really add to what Stan & Susie have said, both shots are a great fit for the theme. It's the second one for me, nicely composed and shot, well done (y)

figures

It was my daughter's prom last week, so I took these - I was going to take my lego bionicle on some outings as he is normally an easy model (doesn't complain), but thought the prom picture was appropriate instead. And the bonus was I got to photograph my girl - normally a very difficult task!
View attachment 36837

Hi Donna, well the bbq weather didn't last very long did it :( I love the flames, but am a bit unsettled by the fact that I keep seeing a cat's face burning away in the charcoal :eek:

Figures - a really colourful image and a powerful juxtaposition between the elegance of the two girls and the messy graffiti (y)

Household - what can I say? A wonderful choice of subject for the theme :D Smashing dof and a much newer and cleaner board than mine, giving a much brighter, cleaner image :clap:

Household - But surely that's a hotel ;) Only kidding, I like the use of the shallow DoF and having the hand in the shot shows that the game is in progress.
Figures - Nice vibrant shot, great colours and they look like two happy models. I love the urban feel that the graffiti gives to is as a counterpoint to the innocence of the girls.

Hi Donna,

Figures - if you can't get a photo of your girl in her prom dress when can you get one? It's a nice crisp shot, and I'm guessing you went for a contrast, but I'm finding the background very distracting - sorry :sorry:

Household - I like this, a good take on a difficult theme (y)

I really like Figures ... not (just) because it's young totty .... it's groovy.

Household ... good idea (I know you're not alone) .... and nicely focussed.

Hi, Figures, they work well against the graffiti. Obviously not at option, but some nice OCF would really take these to a different level. They look little underexposed and I might give the saturation a little boost.

Household, technically well produced with good shallow DOF.

Cheers.

household - excellent pic, love the DoF :clap:

ahhh brake fluid for me, engines every time :D :banana:

Nice focus on the "Min" thing with lots of colourful OOF stuff going on in the BG. (y)

Both booze bottle shots are good but focal points are a little uncertain. (deliberate or not).

Hi Donna :)

Heat - It's the charcoal shot for me, lovely glow of the flames, and the char on the edges is nice too

Figures - A nice colourful shot, good to see a couple of models enjoying the shot too :)

Household - Love the DoF on this one, and seeing it first it was an instant liking for me, spot on (y)

Limit - Brake fluid shot for me, liking the detail and again the narrow DoF :)

:):););)OMG, how remiss of me! Just looked through your entire thread and haven't been here for ages.... now that's bad! Soooo sorry!
To make amends going to run down a quick catch up! Going to start at companions because I love this shot!

Companions ... Stunning colour, and fantastic light! I thought the horizon was off but looks like lens distortion. I love Retrievers! Cracking Shot!(y)

Elegant... Nice clean clear shot, think I'd crop just a tad off to take off the slightly crumpled bit, and the very top but I like the wavy part of the material under the chain! Nicely Lit!

Watery... Very good DOF here works very well, bit short at the bottom:rolleyes: Nicely on theme. like all the individual water droplets.

Bold ... Nice thinking(y) Like the pose and the glance to the side works well, Very bold and right on Topic!

Relax... Love the comment contradiction in terms! Very clear and very sharp shot! Nice DOF again, so good you cant even see the holes in his socks...;)

Vertical... Excellent, love the colours here. Nice lighting and the light painting has worked very well.... Its a fun thing to do isn't it!

Mouth .... Awwwww lovely Doggie! its certainly a mouth and very little drool!

Crowd.... That's a great idea! that photomatix one looks a bit weird to the left of the phone box and contouring over there heads is a band of light, actually looks like a funny grad that's running right across the shot, from the waste level up. I'm with Harlequin565 comments on this one!

Close Up.... Banana for me, nice crystal clear shot, like all the imperfections in the skin really nice spot on WB colour is spot on. Nice detail in the tip of the banana!

Machine.... My Triumph is on here somewhere... Looks a nice machine. lots of detail Nice shot.... "What No gear lever":LOL:;)

Alphabet....
What no bloody "B" :D I'd take them back and complain:) Great DOF ... if I was being OCD would clone out the bits of sugar on the table top:eek:

I'll be back to do the rest!!:eek:

I took a lot of enjoyment from doing a similar piece of photographic magic. So much fun. A very nice shot Donna.

Bizarre: A good multiplicity shot. Seen a few of these about now. Sunset really adds to the shot.

Bizarre ... what a good idea and good result. A thing I've never tried, but must. :)

Thanks for the feedback - it wasn't a technically good shot, but keeping the enjoyment in my photography, and thought it fitted the theme ok.

Hi Donna

Figures

Yes why is that.... Ladies and Girls never seem to like there photographs taken??? That's a nice shot and a great funky background! Really bright and colourful shot. Like Andy says think you could afford to push the colours a tad more but a nice shot none the less!

Household
Really good sharp DOF here! Think the POV also works very well indeed! Mayfair was always my nemesis always used to break me when I landed there:(. Another nice literal interpretation of the theme!

Limit
Like the Bikey Bike shot think I would have polished up the header there seems to be a flat spot on it ..... Having thought about it maybe better off not as it keeps the highlights down, Nice DOF and pin sharp focus on the "Min" level. This is my pick out of the shots for Limit!
As for the alcohol level(y) drink wise. Shot on the left looks way to busy to much going on and the focal point the glass is fine at the bottom where the Southern Comfort is but the empty glass above is smeary and unclear might have looked better crystal clear. I think the bottles are OK but the crop is a bit too tight for me! The DOF on the middle bottle is ok but I think you need a wider POV.

Bizarre
Like this and a good bit of blending here(y) I think the colours need a little bit more of a punch though! How would you manage 3 identical Daughters:eek:. Love the cloud and pastel colours in the sky!

Nice Work(y)

All three spot on with the themes Donna. Maybe a few crumbs with Broken would have given added interest, Entertain is brilliant - love the lighting and partial to focus attention. As for Spiral, what a beautiful ornate structure - love it.

Broken, on theme, nice reds.

Entertain, not too keen on the cropped heads, but again, in theme.

Spiral, decent composition with the lower rail and nice low angle. Looks a little underexposed.

Cheers.

Hi Donna,

Broken - nicely done, good fit for the theme
Entertain - another good fit for the theme, though I agree with posiview - it's a shame their heads are cropped out
Spiral - another good choice, spiral staircases make great subjects :)

Broken, entertain and spiral all on theme.
Entertain: I would have liked to have seen more of the entertainers.

Silhouette

I looked at the theme around 8.30pm tonight, looked out the window and just knew I had to take the dog for a walk and climb a steep hill to the obelisk for a silhouette. The obelisk was my idea (also pictured here), but I ended up preferring the sign
I would just like to point out, that TalkPhotography was cursed all the way up the steep hill to get to my destination, but it was lovely once I was up there (and the dog loved her walk)
View attachment 40066 View attachment 40067

Back