weekly Elaine's 52 for 2015 - Christmas added - finished!

Great ideas for MOUTH, but I like the zip very much.

Hi Elaine, well done for trying something different, unlike myself, both work for me I think I prefer the second one as the first one is a little to odd
Thanks Allan - not the first time I've been called odd by any means :p

Mouth - great ideas and both work for me, but I feel the second works just a little better for me.

2 great ideas in a week that could be so predictable.
Picture 2 for me also as my fav of the 2 and an early contender for my picture of the week (y)

I am with the majority above here. Second image works better. A great interpretation of the theme.

Two nice interpretations this week Elaine, both work for me :)

Thanks for the comments. Cobra, from the other replies, it looks as though you and I both should start worrying about how our brains work ;)

I like both of them Elaine, good interpretations of the theme. Last time I was able to get my foot in my mouth was when I was about 6 months old, although I've put it there metaphorically many times :eek:
Ha ha :LOL: I can still just about get my foot up to my mouth, but I certainly couldn't manage to take a selfie at the same time, so it was handy to have a model available!

Hi Elaine .... great ideas for mouth ...the first one does look a bit odd, but sometimes odd works. Zip is an excellent idea too.

I'm just about keeping up ...not sure if I have last years enthusiasm ....I must try harder :(
Thanks Susie. I know what you mean - I'm still enjoying the photography, but have to admit that I'm finding the feedback part really daunting with all the extra participants this year :oops: :$

Excellent stuff Elaine (y) I do hope the poor boy is getting his 5 a day ;)
Thanks d00d. Yup - and he even gets to choose between fingers or toes :D

Thanks for the comments. Cobra, from the other replies, it looks as though you and I both should start worrying about how our brains work ;)
I gave up worrying about the years ago Elaine :D

Thanks Lorraine.

Made it back from Hong Kong despite a delayed first flight, medical emergency on the second flight (not me!) and having to drag our cases through the mud because our road is currently being re-surfaced, forcing the taxi to drop us at the end of the road. So, top priority was my TP52 catch up!

Week 11 - Crowd
There were plenty of crowds in the city centre, especially in the street markets

#1 Crowded market
1691289.jpg

And the parks and nature reserves offered different kinds of crowds

#2 Flamingos
2cgehqd.jpg

#3 Terrapins
1zf3583.jpg

Week 12 - Close Up

The walk-through aviary in Hong Kong's main park is an absolute paradise for toggers to get up close to hundreds of different species of exotic-looking birds and I certainly made the most of it, but I haven't a clue what I was taking photos of most of the time!

#1 Some kind of parrot I think
72prus.jpg

#2 Random nest builder
230dog.jpg

#3 Exotic pigeon?
2rcwvoh.jpg

#4 There was one particular parrot who seemed to spend most of his time following a keeper around and begging for peanuts, but in between treats he was very happy to oblige the tourists and pose for close ups!
5e98aa.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds a bit of a nightmare TBH, Elaine , but at least you got your priorities right :D

Crowd, yep they all work for me, especially the Red eared terrapins. (y)

Close up, some nice images there, I think a little closer would have worked better though, for the theme at least.

Hi Elaine, sounds like coming back was a real nightmare!

I like your crowd shots, especially the flamingoes.

Close up - they all fit the theme, but my favourite by far is the nest builder - what a beautiful bird :)

Welcome back Elaine,

... some lovely images ... not least, the Street Market (y), The Terrapins :clap:, and The Pigeon is a cracker .... they're all good.

First time here. Lots of great shots and a lot of effort with respect to the themes. So may to choose from, but I think the Flamingo CROWD shot and the BOLD as Brass monkey would be my favourites so far.

Cheers

Hey Elaine :)

Crowd - A good set you have here... Liking the bright colours of the market, and the mass of flamingo's but for me it has to be the shot of the terrapins, really like the way they are looking around :D

Close Up - Again nice bright images and a good bunch of birds, For me I like the colours in the first and the eye on the last bird... tough choice but going with the first one :)

Sorry I'm still behind with my comments and feedback - I've had a massively busy week, but things should start to ease up over the next few days.

Ever since I saw this week's theme on Saturday morning, I've had Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine as my earworm - could have worse earworms! So, I wanted to try and create something a bit surreal and spacey and OH's coffee machine seemed to fit the bill with its slightly alien shape and a welcoming cup of coffee. The sunnies just seemed to fit in with the image in case anyone's wondering :).

Week 13 - (Welcome to the) Machine

rj2k5y.jpg

HI Elaine

Vertical....sneaking a juxtaposition in there.....like it , original worked well enough, as per others I did'nt see the poster until it was mentioned , was to busy looking at the writing one chimney :)

Machine.......I can see why you added the shades but I love the shape of those machines on their own , they have a kind of mini cute robot look that I like

Close -up ....last one for me, little chap seems to enjoy posing for the camera :)

So....how many holidays do you have each year :D

Haaaaaa that's excellent :D

Love this, a real good fun image (Shame the base/Mouth is slightly clipped, it doesn't distract from the image though :))... but liking the funky colour of the image that the glasses bring :)
Thanks DK. I was so engrossed in cropping it to make sure that the on/off swich at the top was dead centre and the glasses straight, that I didn't notice I'd cropped that bit off the bottom until I'd already done a load of pp cleaning up the bg and by then I couldn't be bothered starting again :oops: :$

HI Elaine

Vertical....sneaking a juxtaposition in there.....like it , original worked well enough, as per others I did'nt see the poster until it was mentioned , was to busy looking at the writing one chimney :)

Machine.......I can see why you added the shades but I love the shape of those machines on their own , they have a kind of mini cute robot look that I like

Close -up ....last one for me, little chap seems to enjoy posing for the camera :)

So....how many holidays do you have each year :D

Thanks for the catch up Lynne. I'm glad you like the posy parrot - I really only put the others on because they were a bit better from a technical pov, but he was my absolute favourite image :)

Holidays? As many as possible! ;)

I do like 'Machine', and very clever getting the focus on the glasses when it would have been so much easier to focus on the machine behind.

Machine ... cool .... Floyd psychedelia.

Machine, that's funky and scary in equal measures.

Nice idea.

Cheers.
Thanks all. I thought it might be a bit too weird, but I'm glad others seem to get it :D

Week 14 - Alphabet. I could only think of one idea for this and I thought it might be a fairly common one, so I decided I'd better get mine in quickly :p The playing bit was fun, but it was a real pain to photograph and get the light looking half decent on the white plate without blowing the highlights in the sauce too badly, so there's a LOT of pp gone into the bg :oops: :$

16gmk0.jpg

:LOL: Sounds like playing with food wasn't all that much fun in the end . . . but the PP is flawless.
I genuinely can't see the work that's gone into it and you've made it look easy.

I wonder if it may have had more impact if you'd gone wider and included the whole plate in frame for a bit of context though.

That idea had occurred to me too, but we only had spaghetti hoops in the cupboard (kids getting older I guess).
I'm glad someone did it :)
The pp on that is really good (far better than the banker I have).
I guess the best shot make it look easy even though it probably wasn't. Your shot is my fav 'Alphabet' posted so far!

ARGH !! Went out yesterday and bought Alphbetti Spaghetti with a very similar idea in mind. I'll think of a different interpretation and see what I can come up with, but love the idea and the way you've executed it. (Might have to have a rethink ....) Nice work.

:LOL: Sounds like playing with food wasn't all that much fun in the end . . . but the PP is flawless.
I genuinely can't see the work that's gone into it and you've made it look easy.

I wonder if it may have had more impact if you'd gone wider and included the whole plate in frame for a bit of context though.
Thanks Sarah. I did try a few wider shots, but it just seemed to make the lighting even harder to get right than using the macro/close up format and meant I had two backgrounds to deal with - the white plate and what it was sitting on :(

The pp involved adding a sliver of blank canvas to the top where I'd inadvertently cropped the top of the sauce in camera, then using the clone tool to create a new top. Quartering the shot, using the magnetic lasso tool to isolate each quarter of the bg in turn and painting it a uniform white, then carefully painting around the edges of the sauce with a small soft-edged brush to eliminate the hard edges. After that, I used a bit of burn to make some of the letters a bit more distinct and finally adjusted the brightness and contrast to make the sauce a bit less sickly-looking. Phew!

Last edited:
Back