weekly FlyPhot's 52 for 2019 Thread - Week 52 'Out-Take (and finished)' Added

Yep - a little smudge of the horn of shoe but still a nice interesting photo. I'd much rather see that than a token click of the shutter without much interest.

Yup, shoehorned your way in but what a great image. Love the leading line of the dark chain and then the three gun barrels leading you back out again. I also like the people up near the base of the gun, for aspect to show how huge the guns are

This week's image for Light - taken in the National Museum of the Marine Corps in QUANTICO, Virginia. I was taken by the way the light changed around the circular (ish) building.

Now substituted with a sharper, much better version of the image (the perils of being abroad and posting images from a mobile phone!)

Last edited:
Do you know Jim, this shows the light coming in from the different angles just great. I think the shadows on the jet are fab. The different blue sky’s !

This is the building from the outside IMG_20190427_100939.jpg

Well, you know what they say ... 2's company 3's a Crowd ;)

This is a 2p coin.

And, technique Macro - using my 20mm extension ring on my 16-85mm lens (first time i've used it).

Last edited:
I looked and I thought 'crowd'???
But now I get your drift! Good idea and good detail!
Also - great use of angles in both HOT and LIGHT

Last edited:
I looked and I thought 'crowd'???
But now I get your drift! Good idea and good detail!
Also - great use of angles in both HOT and LIGHT

Many thanks, I tried to come at this one from the macro angle and the idea just jumped at me - I'll admit, it's a shoehorn, but I think it works... just

Hi Jim, a big catch-up from me as I'm almost up to date with my thread, and you've added some really super images.
Young is an original idea and the perspective and especially the shallow DOF work a treat to draw attention to the new shoots.
Those are two excellent images for Food; both well arranged and well lit. I like the shapes and warm tones of the eggs but #1 is my favourite for the textures and I think the three repeated shapes look good.
Smooth is just excellent; idea, execution, details - all spot on :claps:
Above - another good idea and your processing is perfect.
Hot - shoehorn or not, it's clearly taken on a bright, sunny day and the low perspective and shallow DOF makes it very compelling image.
Light is really striking with the light coming in at different angles throwing those shadows, and all the different blues. Perfect for the theme.
I think your image for Crowd is much more of a shoehorn than Hot but - as you said - it just about works :) You definitely got the macro box ticked too; so much detail in a tiny slice of that 26-year-old coin!

Trying to catch up on what people have been doing, work has been pretty hectic over Easter.

Light- Love the blue, nice light on the jet
Crowd-stretching it a bit with the shoehorn, nicely done though. Full marks for getting a macro shot with Crowd as the theme! I doubt we will see too many of those.

Crowd-stretching it a bit with the shoehorn, nicely done though. Full marks for getting a macro shot with Crowd as the theme! I doubt we will see too many of those.

^^^^ yep that :)

Hi Jim

Still not sure I get your shoehorn explanation, but it is close up (macro) and there is some details. I think the background is wrong (looks like old style carpet to me).

Pete

Hi Jim

Still not sure I get your shoehorn explanation, but it is close up (macro) and there is some details. I think the background is wrong (looks like old style carpet to me).

Pete
The explanation of the theme is "2's company 3's a crowd" hence the 3 in the date on the coin. The background is actually a coloured vinyl tablecloth (the coin is a 2p so very close up)

I'm surprised you didn't find that 2p in the bottom of your shoe, using your shoehorn Jim ;)

Very nice macro shot with lovely detail. Top shoeing :)

Crowd
Not something I would have thought of, so we'll done and a good little macro shot.

I had quite a few ideas for this weeks theme, here they all are, but I've plumped for the first.

The link to the theme is the radioactive glow in the dark part of the compass that is slowly decaying (remember radioactive half-life from school?)

And here are the others:

A shoehorn too far for me - but nicely shot. For the theme I prefer the boat.

A shoehorn too far for me - but nicely shot. For the theme I prefer the boat.

Thanks for looking and the comment but, I think we'll have to agree to disagree as for me, there is definitely something decaying in that image (i've done some shoehorns in this whole challenge I'll admit, but for my part this isn't - but, each to his own I suppose). ;):D:D

Hi Jim,

Hot - You brought out the big guns for this shot then ;) It does rather say "warm day"
Light - Cool shot. That's a harrier isn't it? Interesting to see that in an American institution like that.
Crowd - Not sure I get this one, but you got the technique covered off, so that's a winner.
Decay - I can't believe that they stick a "danger radioactivity" warning label on compasses, the radioactivity given off must be negligible. I bet the watches we wore as kids gave off more radiation!

I had quite a few ideas for this weeks theme, here they all are, but I've plumped for the first.

The link to the theme is the radioactive glow in the dark part of the compass that is slowly decaying (remember radioactive half-life from school?)

Hi Jim,
Decay - I can't believe that they stick a "danger radioactivity" warning label on compasses, the radioactivity given off must be negligible. I bet the watches we wore as kids gave off more radiation!

Tim is right, there would not be a Radio Active sign as there is none, they use strontium aluminate (SrAl), a much newer “Safety Grade” phosphor that is non-toxic and non-radioactive.

How ever the light when you see it in the dark does decay.

I like the Image (as I like maps) and it is a shoehorn but where would we be without them.

Pete

Tim is right, there would not be a Radio Active sign as there is none, they use strontium aluminate (SrAl), a much newer “Safety Grade” phosphor that is non-toxic and non-radioactive.

How ever the light when you see it in the dark does decay.

I like the Image (as I like maps) and it is a shoehorn but where would we be without them.

Pete

Actually, it's Tritium (if you look closely at the bezel on the compass you'll see that it's in mils and degrees) it's a military compass, NATO stock numbered, which has tritium as its light source:

The “full-sized” base plate compass for experienced navigators – used by NATO Forces around the world. Mainly used by the infantry as a soldier’s or officer’s compass. Additional features include measuring scales for positioning (GPS), graduated in mils and degrees (6400/360), magnifying glass and rubber feet for precision map work.

Features:
  • Type of compass Silva 1-2-3 System baseplate compass
  • Compass capsule / needle
  • Sighting System No
  • Magnifying lens Yes
  • Declination adjustment Decl scale in capsule
  • Clinometer No
  • Illumination / active time
  • after activation in light Yes / 6 hours Model 4 NATO: 7.5 years
  • Luminous compound Everglow™ / Model 4 NATO: Tritium
  • compound
  • 80 mCi
  • Silicon friction feet Yes
  • Other Patented red/black N/S lines in capsule

Tritium:

Tritium is a radioactive form, or “isotope”, of hydrogen. It has two neutrons where regular hydrogen does not have any, which makes tritium unstable and therefore radioactive. It is produced naturally from interactions of cosmic rays with gases in the upper atmosphere.

So, as per my post, the radioactive part is slowly decaying on its half life (hence the black and yellow trefoil symbol). Still not a shoe-horn IMHO. ;)

Last edited:
Very clever interpretation of the theme, and your explanation is certainly appreciated too.
Radioactive decay is perfectly permissible, in my humble opinion!;)

All images are excellent Jim....I love the logs and the boat, but I think I prefer your posted image of the compass, it's simple and crisp, well framed and composed.
Nicely done!(y)

Free Week:

I was out on a Treasure Hunt in a local village this afternoon and we came across this field with these pretty little sheep in, I couldn't resist taking an image on my phone, so here is my Free Week entry:

Not baaaaad :)

Back