weekly GarethB's extra unofficial, late 52 (2018) - wk 52 - Showcase

GarethB

Likes to peek
Name
I don't even know anymore!
Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome to my extra unofficial, very late TP 52 (2018) thread.

I thought I might unofficially tag along for the remainder of this years 52 challenge....extra unofficially! :D

I have created this thread purely as a practice/warm-up for the forthcoming 2019 challenge, so please don't feel you have to offer any critique or anything....although if you do, any comments are gratefully received!(y)

I won't post any images in the official threads since I don't want to cause any more work than there already is for everyone - I'll just post them here - please feel free to comment as you wish! :)

So without further ado....

Week 47 - Monstrous

TP-52-2018-wk47
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

I might rethink this one next week....already have a couple of ideas....hopefully better ones.

Last edited:
I like it :)

Welcome aboard, Gareth, and I'm sure Tim @LC2 was only joking when he said it was too late to add you to the spreadsheet, so go ahead and add it to the "pictures only" thread and add a link back here to your thread.

Good idea for the theme, too (y)

Thank you @Manxmaid for your kind, supportive comments. :)

Maybe I could post some images on the pictures only thread....although I really don't mind standing on the sidelines for the remainder of the year - only a few weeks left now.

I'm not 100% sure whether I'll stay with my photo above, however,....still got a couple of ideas to try out.

Welcome aboard, Gareth, and I'm sure Tim @LC2 was only joking when he said it was too late to add you to the spreadsheet, so go ahead and add it to the "pictures only" thread and add a link back here to your thread.

Good idea for the theme, too (y)
Andrea, what I said (or at least what I meant to say if it's come out wrong) is it's too late , I'm already adding Gareth to the spreadsheet.
A bit like the 24. If you even look in that direction, you're signed up ;)

Andrea, what I said (or at least what I meant to say if it's come out wrong) is it's too late , I'm already adding Gareth to the spreadsheet.
A bit like the 24. If you even look in that direction, you're signed up ;)
That was exactly how I read your comment myself (y)

Reactions: LC2
Good use of the shallow DoF to emphasize the relevant text, and also use of diagonals to impart some impact into the image.
And, of course, quite fitting with some of the cosplays from this weekend's MCM :)

I might rethink this one next week....already have a couple of ideas....hopefully better ones.
But next week there will will be another theme, welcome to the treadmill :)

Monstrous is nicely done, I like that you picked the horror films, good take on it.

Monstrous
I like the idea, nice dof.
I did something similar last year with one of the themes.

Well to the show Gareth.

Your Monstrous Theme is different. Nice DOF in use and very sharp contrast. You know you have to comment on all the last 47 weeks don't you, it's in the small print.
Only Joking.

Pete

Thank you for your positive comments Pete....I'm rubbish when it comes to reading small print, I'd better get my finger out and....

[**Squints to read the small print**]

....haha, you got me!!:D

Thank you Dave also....I assume you mean Mr Cushing and not Pete who coincidentally posted above!!:D

Having him as a neighbour must have been jolly interesting, he was a versatile and talented actor, who was by all accounts, a kind, quiet and decent gentleman too.

Last edited:
Week 48 - Balance(d)

First image is a focus stack....not sure about it really - the shape maybe is a little bit lost.
The second one is simpler - just a single shot.

I would have liked to fill in the shapes with coins, so that they were more 'solid-looking'....but I ran out of shiny pennies....and Cillit Bang! :D

TP-52-2018-wk48

TP-52-2018-wk48-2

**Just realised that the amounts are not balanced....never was any good with money!** :(

Thanks for looking folks :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your positive comments Pete....I'm rubbish when it comes to reading small print, I'd better get my finger out and....

[**Squints to read the small print**]

....haha, you got me!!:D

Thank you Dave also....I assume you mean Mr Cushing and not Pete who coincidentally posted above!!:D

Having him as a neighbour must have been jolly interesting, he was a versatile and talented actor, who was by all accounts, a kind, quiet and decent gentleman too.

Yes it was Peter Cushing, and what a lovely man he was too as loved talking to him when he was home or walking on the beach.

Yin and Yang, clever idea and well done on the focus stacking.

Perfect balance Grass Hopper! I like it.:)

Last edited:
I prefer the stacked image it has some shadow to ground it, i dont think the shape is lost at all

Thank you Allan, I think I agree now....perhaps I should have put that one in instead....it does indeed have a little more 'dynamism'....if that's even a word! :D

As I understand, once an image has been posted, it cannot be undone....is that right?
Makes sense from a comments point of view.

I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun in posting so early!
But hey....I'm new and keen!!:D (....and maybe a bit dumb!)

Nothing wrong with being keen, putting a couple of pics in your own thread there’s nothing wrong with that but just the one in the picture thread is usually the norm.

Second one for me too for the same reason as Allan, those slight shadows make all the difference, good idea nicely executed.

Both nice - on Balance I think I prefere the flatter overhead shot :)

Balance
I prefer the second (overhead) shot, but like the pov of the first. The problem I have with the first shot is the copper coin stack, touching the silver coins (not physically touching, more lining up with the silver coins, if can see what I mean).

Nicely done really well lit

Thank you for your kind words Allan.
Total time to get that shot was about three and a half hours....most of that was 'cleanup-and-reset' time!
Worth it though, I think it turned out ok.

Back