weekly GarethB's extra unofficial, late 52 (2018) - wk 52 - Showcase

Expertly done, Gareth. Did you use the Pluto laser trigger for that?

Thanks Stan, I really appreciate your positive comment. :)

I didn't use any fangled devices....it was done 'the old fashioned way'!:D
Two manual flashes; one on the glass at 1/32 power to 'freeze' the ice, and another at 1/8 power with a blue gel on the white background....then one hand chucking the crushed ice and the other on the trigger!

I plan to build my own 'Pluto-like' trigger, using Arduino....it certainly won't be as sophisticated as the Pluto, but it will allow me to photograph some (hopefully) nice water drop collisions....and it'll be considerably cheaper!!
Just need to clear some work space!

Bloody hell. Here for 3 weeks for practice and you come up with something like that!!!
Really nicely done. Must be the shot of the theme easily.
:clap:

Gosh! Thank you so much Tim for your exceedingly kind words, praise indeed!
:)

As has been said, that is very well done, great light and nicely composed.

Love it, nuff said.:)

You're continuing from your great start, Gareth! I'm already looking forward to seeing your images for each theme :)

Both images for Balanced are striking and well thought out, but my preference is for the stacked image as the angle and shadow add depth compared to the overhead shot. Your hard work cleaning the coins paid off, too.
Crushed is excellent, there's nothing to criticise or suggest there. Well done :clap:

Love it, nuff said.:)

Thank you most kindly @Bearair (y)

You're continuing from your great start, Gareth! I'm already looking forward to seeing your images for each theme :)

Both images for Balanced are striking and well thought out, but my preference is for the stacked image as the angle and shadow add depth compared to the overhead shot. Your hard work cleaning the coins paid off, too.
Crushed is excellent, there's nothing to criticise or suggest there. Well done :clap:

Very kind of you to say so Andrea, very much appreciated, thank you. :)
If I had spent as much time framing the stacked shot as I did cleaning those blimming coins, I might have got a better perspective! :D

Motion - Week 50

Here are a couple of pics shot today whilst out and about.

First one was a happy accident (not on the road!...in the camera!) The traffic is a bit blurred however (I could say that it perhaps adds to the dynamic feel, but actually the car just hit a bump!)
Turned out quite well I think, and no, I wasn't driving before you ask.:D

Second one is a Pizza Hut sign, with a long exposure/zoom motion effect....not sure if it really works - the writing is somewhat lost, but I think it looks reasonable, though I'll probably go with the first image....definitely has a sense of motion to it.

TP-52-2018-wk50
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

TP-52-2018-wk50_1

Thank you for looking folks.:)

Great minds and all that :) Both are nicely done Gareth but for me the first is the pick, good leading lines down the road and nice motion blur in the trees

First one for me also, don’t mind the traffic being blurred as you say it works

Great minds and all that :) Both are nicely done Gareth but for me the first is the pick, good leading lines down the road and nice motion blur in the trees

Thanks Chris, I was driving around, following you for hours looking for inspiration!! :D (Just kidding!)

First one for me also, don’t mind the traffic being blurred as you say it works

Thanks Allan, can't understand why the lines are sharp, and yet the vehicles are not. Oh well, the mysteries of photography!

Gareth

Balanced - Nice set of coins, clean and shinny, not sure which of the 2 versions I prefer, possibly the extra detail in the 1st one swings it a bit.

Crused - I like that, nice colours and plenty of detail in the ice and droplets, lighting looks good as well.

Motion - I prefer the 2nd onewith the zoom in effect and nice colours. !st image has a good effect of speed, but the vehicles to me spoil it a bit.

Pete

Thank you for your positive comments Pete, I know what you mean about the motion image....it bothered me a little too that the vehicles were lacking in detail, but I thought it portayed a sense of speed a tad better than the second one....though I was really find of that one too!
T'was a tough decision! :thinking:

Party - Week 51

Here is my take on the party theme...

The Don[n]er Party.

It's the only 'good' idea I could come up with, and since I haven't been invited to any actual parties :( ....well, beggars can't be choosers!
Besides, at least I was able to put all my old animation clay to some use! :D

A bit morbid d'you think?

TP-52-2018-wk51

They're doner kebabs...geddit?! :D

I totally love this shot Gareth, have been looking through your theme shots without logging in. I got to say I am really looking forward to seeing more of your takes on theme, as imo all are just great. I see you have the 7D Mkii a great camera to have and use as nearly got one before I switched to Fuji.

Thank you very much Dave, very kind of you to say.:)

Glad to see you're back in the game.(y)

Yep, I love my 7Dmk2....I began taking photography seriously with wildlife a couple of years ago, and since I had owned Canon previously, it seemed a logical choice.
It's only recently I've discovered what a versatile camera it is...as long as there's decent light!....I'm a bit obsessed with keeping the ISO at 100... perhaps unfairly so, but it can be a bit noisy over 800/1600, but nothing that can't be 'smoothed' in post....I should be more brave!:D
The Fuji XT-3 is a tremendous camera though.... everything I've read suggests it's probably the best all round camera out there.

Thank you too Allan, most appreciated (y)

You certainly put a lot of work into your images Gareth.
I was going to ask if there was a way of doing the image without the shadows (long exposure etc.) but on further consideration, I think I actually like having the shadows in the image.

You certainly put a lot of work into your images Gareth.
I was going to ask if there was a way of doing the image without the shadows (long exposure etc.) but on further consideration, I think I actually like having the shadows in the image.

Thank you Tim :)

I shot the scene a number of different ways....with/without mini softboxes/blue gels....flashes placed near/far etc, but decided on two flashes about a metre away, one flash with a blue gel and a mini softbox on low power to give a 'cool wash' of soft light so it feels cold, and the other one naked to achieve some harder shadows to mimic moonlight.

I'm not sure if the scene necessarily works as a 'night time moonlit' shot....it's perhaps a little bright, but any darker and I would have lost details possibly.

Last edited:
Party is 101% bonkers - which is a good thing :)

Crush(ed)
Nicely done, with good lighting and I like that shade of blue.

Motion
Good take on the theme. It does exactly what it's meant to

Last edited:
Hi Gareth

Party, very left field and all the better for it. I like the blue tone to the picture and the shadows work well for me.

Have a Happy New Year

Pete

A nice and amusing take on the theme. I like the background with all the folds and creases to compliment the figures.

Thank you kindly Stan....those folds are meant to look like snow drifts....at least that's what I'm saying was the plan....in actuality, I had neglected to iron the bedsheet:D....but it worked out quite well in the end!

Hi Gareth

Party, very left field and all the better for it. I like the blue tone to the picture and the shadows work well for me.

Have a Happy New Year

Pete

Thank you Pete, your positive comments are most appreciated.

Happy New Year to you too, and to all 52ers and TPers. :)

Definitely the first image for Motion for me. Gareth. It has everything you need to convey the theme and you have done it well :clap:

Parry made me laugh - it has a lovely zany look and feel, the poses and 'expressions' are excellent, and I think the shadows and crumpled background add to that feel. Very good indeed :D

Party. Cracking image for this, imagination and skills with the camera coupled with a sense of humour, you really will be a great fresh asset to next years 52. Top Shot.

Definitely the first image for Motion for me. Gareth. It has everything you need to convey the theme and you have done it well :clap:

Parry made me laugh - it has a lovely zany look and feel, the poses and 'expressions' are excellent, and I think the shadows and crumpled background add to that feel. Very good indeed :D

Thank you very much Andrea, I really appreciate your positive comments. :)
I was a bit worried that my 'party' image was a tad dark (in the story sense, not photographically).
I was pleased how it turned out, however....though I will try not to rely on clay to create scenes....feels a bit....cheaty!! :D
Party. Cracking image for this, imagination and skills with the camera coupled with a sense of humour, you really will be a great fresh asset to next years 52. Top Shot.

Thank you Roger for your kind and supportive comments.:)
Really looking forward to seeing your images for the coming year.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to view and comment on my images, at what is undoubtedly a very busy time of year for all.
You've all made me feel very welcome, and I'm proud and privileged to be a member of this great community.

Thank you one and all, and a very Happy New Year! :)

Showcase - Week 52

Since I only had a handful of images in this years 52, I thought I would shoot one that related to a theme before I joined.

I have chosen week 35 - Splash.

Having just completed the prototype build of my Arduino based water drop controller, I thought I would post some images of drop collisions here.
I've been fascinated by these wonderful images for a very long time, and have been very keen to see if I could create some of my own.

Here are a few from the last few days....

drop4

drop1

drop5

The lighting needs work, and I haven't nailed a suitable DoF yet, but I shall continue to experiment with it and tweak the programming to achieve different collision styles.
So far I've been very happy with the results....I know there's a lot of these types of images out there, but it's so rewarding to see everything come together!

If anyone is interested in the finer points of the build and the setup, I would be only too pleased to share everything I know....I had to scour the internet for info, which surprisingly is in relatively short supply!
I should also point out that I have no experience in electronics or Arduino programming, so thankfully it turned out to be a pretty straightforward task.

Thanks for looking folks, Happy New Year to everyone!(y)
See you for the new 52, in the new year!:)

Last edited:
Hi Gareth, welcome to the mad house :D you've posted some cracking images so far. Looking forward to seeing more in 2019 :D

Even though you managed a handful of themes Gareth I have to say your images have been a joy to view, totally outstanding finish with showcase. I really am looking forward to seeing your 52 next year, fantastic work.

Thank you so much Dave for all your kind, supportive comments.
I too am looking forward to the next 52, and to seeing some more of your super images.

Hi Gareth, welcome to the mad house :D you've posted some cracking images so far. Looking forward to seeing more in 2019 :D

Hi Georgina, thanks for the warm welcome, and for your comments. :)
Likewise, I'm looking forward to 2019, and to see some more of your images too.

Should be a good 'un! (y)

Woah, what a way to finish, Gareth! They're superb images and as good as any water drop/collision images I have seen, and the colour in #2 really pops. It's something I keep meaning to try but it looks hard to get into. If you find the time to write a little 'tutorial' or 'how to' at any stage, I'm sure it would be welcomed in the wider TP community too.

As Dave and Tim have already said, you have posted some very strong images in your short time so far and I am really looking forward to seeing your images next year. Happy New Year!

Back