weekly Hertsman's 2016 TP52 - Celebrate added and finish.

Great start there Mark, all good but I particularly like serene and urban

Welcome. Excellent start Mark. Four excellent shots. My faves are the Sunflower for it's colour and retained highlights in the sky and Urban for it's grittiness rendered by the use of b&w. :clap:

Nice start Mark :)
Just out of interest, where was urban taken?, it looks just like the garages near my Mum,
with the houses backing on like that.

But then again, I assume that they probably are stereo typical, of that housing era.

Thanks Cobra.
Garages are round the back of me in Tring, and dont look nealry as grim as the pic suggests !

Thanks Cobra.
Garages are round the back of me in Tring, and dont look nealry as grim as the pic suggests !
Ah Ok the ones I was thinking of were on the outskirts of MK, and they do look ( or certainly did) look that grim :D

Welcome to the 52's Mark !!!

A cracking start, love the vivid sunflower and bee image, a large contrast of image styles, with Urban totally different and very effective too... look forward to seeing what you come up with over the coming weeks (y)

Welcome to the madhouse Mark,
B&W - On theme and decent use of shallow DoF.
Serene - Very vibrant capture of the sunflower (y) Loving the fact you've got those 2 bees in the shot too.
Ancient - It looks like a piece of old masonry. What's the context behind it? Nicely sharp and a good PoV.
Urban - The b&w processing adds a certain grimness to the shot, though it's crying out for a burnt out car as the centre piece. Something to add for a re-shoot perhaps? ;)

Thanks LC....
Ancient was about the oldest gravestone in the yard. Sadly, it was in an area alone , so lacking in context a bit,
I just liked it for what is was.

Im pretty pleased with Urban as the original RAW is very uninspiring and I nearly didnt follow it through - thanks Lightroom!

Hi Mark. Your link seems to be missing from the main TP52 page to yours. Excellent choice for Pair and sharp focus with all that lettering showing in the tyre walls.

Thanks Susie - and, yes I prbably should have - if Id have noticed her!

Bit of a banker shot I took Saturday as Ive struggled for inspiration on this one.....

Anyways, this is Big.

Big by Mark P, on Flickr

Certainly big enough Mark and an interesting perspective on the drag racer (y)

Cheers Carl.
Its not a great image per se, but it fitted the theme, and I like to try and be original.....

I could have cropped tighter, but it wouldnt have looked right.

That certainly is big, so bang on theme. I would have framed it wider and sent all the people home. :)

If only...people are the biggest headache for taking car shots - be it racetracks or shows....

I would have liked a much nicer framing, but you have to grab any opportunity that presents itself these days.

Santa pod - where this was taken - has become waaay more professional these days, and its almost impossible to get good pics of the cars in the pits now as they all have proper artics with built in workshops and awnings.
Back in the day, the car would have been open trailered up and worked on the open air.

If only...people are the biggest headache for taking car shots - be it racetracks or shows....

I would have liked a much nicer framing, but you have to grab any opportunity that presents itself these days.

Santa pod - where this was taken - has become waaay more professional these days, and its almost impossible to get good pics of the cars in the pits now as they all have proper artics with built in workshops and awnings.
Back in the day, the car would have been open trailered up and worked on the open air.
That pic of Funny car brings back a few memories, spent many an hour at SP with the kids. even met Kevin Schwantz there.
as you say a tricky subject

That pic of Funny car brings back a few memories, spent many an hour at SP with the kids. even met Kevin Schwantz there.
as you say a tricky subject

Hi Wally, I was at that meet with Kevin - Randy Mamola was also there and put a run in on someones dragbike....

BTW....thats not a Funny car, its a nItrous Promod - about 9 litres and four nitrous kits!

Hi Wally, I was at that meet with Kevin - Randy Mamola was also there and put a run in on someones dragbike....

BTW....thats not a Funny car, its a nItrous Promod - about 9 litres and four nitrous kits!
Now you mention Randy, i remember him being there, Kevin kept us hanging about for ages for Autograph, worth it also got a pic of him and my two boys, we used to camp up there for W/E had some great times up there, everyone was so approachable, and everything was accessable,
So sad when Darrell Gwynn got killed in an accident there.

Ive been going for nearly 30 years (!!)
Had some great times there.
Love how good it is now, but miss the easy accessibiltity from back then.

Oh, and...
Darrell didnt die, but ended up wheelchair bound fro life with the loss of part of his arm.
I was there then too.....

http://www.darrellgwynn.com/biography.htm...

"Fate took Gwynn to England in April that year. In an exhibition race at Santa Pod Raceway his dragster suddenly broke and veered left into the retaining wall at halftrack at approximately 240mph, causing major life-threatening injuries to the 28-year-old driver. A terrific battle of faith and determination allowed Gwynn to survive the ordeal, he was left paralyzed and he lost his left arm. "

Really unsure about this one, and I have another idea a back up...

Does it work or does it go ?

PS - I cant for the life of me get the formatting right to make a linky work normally.... :(

After by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Mark. Link seems to be working fine ... brought me here from the main TP52 page anyway. I had quite a few thoughts for the theme (and still trying to decide which to go for) but never thought of this one. Certainly fits the theme and the DoF picks out the subject nicely from the bg. Maybe just crop or clone out the two leaf intruders at bottom right. Works fine.

Very nicely captured,as Susie says the DoF really separates it from the background.

Back