weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

fits the theme. nice sharp image. i also see the splodges maybe a dirty sensor? i have this too and it sucks :(

A bit of a shoe horn Mark, but who am I to question them? :D

Indeed......I dont think its that much of a shoehorn tbh, but, been on call last two weekends and weathers crap, so.......

Nice idea Mark, some context like bread or toast would have rounded it off nicely, but still a real nice crisp and clean image, nicely lit too :)

I did think of that, but thought it may have diluted the idea to much, but in hindsight,I wiash I had now....

fits the theme. nice sharp image. i also see the splodges maybe a dirty sensor? i have this too and it sucks :(

Nice crisp image and good idea, wondering if you lens was clean as I can see a few marks bottom right and middle left :thinking:

Lens is clean, its my white background getting a tad old and grubby, time to turn it over I think.......

Hairy - Agree with all the previous comments about the background, works very well. An interesting choice for the theme, taken very well.

Smooth - Like it, good composition. Interesting knife as well, remember by parents having ones like that, it looks well used.

Nicely focused and lit. (y) .... Nice idea, simple, not sure it needs more ... or what about and OOF loaf in BG!

Smooth - Nice image, good composition, I feel the background is not as clean as I would like it to be. There are some marks here and there that i find distracting, but its another theme in the bag.

Thanks Mandy, the marks are on my soon to be replaced white card that I use for these things

I like the idea Mark ...maybe a brand new tub with one smooth scrape of butter o_O it works well for the theme though, a good clear shot.

Believe it or not, that is a brand new tub. But I tried sooooo mnay times to get that perfect scroll of butter it drove me mad and I gave up.....

Hairy - Agree with all the previous comments about the background, works very well. An interesting choice for the theme, taken very well.

Smooth - Like it, good composition. Interesting knife as well, remember by parents having ones like that, it looks well used.

Thanks Steve. The knife is old and came to me from my grandparents - there is nothing better for spreading butter !

Nicely focused and lit. (y) .... Nice idea, simple, not sure it needs more ... or what about and OOF loaf in BG!

I dont know :shrug:, hindsight is always better isnt it ? ;)

That's a different take on the theme, agree with what Dean said about adding some other elements to the shot but still a lovely image overall.

Cheers Stan

Excellent shot Mark. Nice compo with the knife scraping along the butter to represent Smooth. I like the detail in the knife handle too.

My Nan had those knives Mark :)
I dunno what Cobra is going on about it being a shoe horn, I thought it was bang on the theme.
DK's comment though is worth trying, toast or a crumpet mmmmmmm. It would then be telling more of a story imo.

Not a shoe horn at all! Well composed, nice and clean. And very well lit.

As others have said about adding some toast in a toa(y)st rack possibly. My only ocd niggle would have been to use a new tub but you only really have one crack at it.

Excellent shot Mark. Nice compo with the knife scraping along the butter to represent Smooth. I like the detail in the knife handle too.
Cheers Carl

My Nan had those knives Mark :)
I dunno what Cobra is going on about it being a shoe horn, I thought it was bang on the theme.
DK's comment though is worth trying, toast or a crumpet mmmmmmm. It would then be telling more of a story imo.
Yeah, I know that NOW.... :)

I like the knife best in this shot - full of character! Maybe it's one for a reshoot alongside something less modern.
The knife is one of our favoured kitchen things if you know what I mean, we love it!

Not a shoe horn at all! Well composed, nice and clean. And very well lit.
Thanks Brrnd, I didint think it was either.....

As others have said about adding some toast in a toa(y)st rack possibly. My only ocd niggle would have been to use a new tub but you only really have one crack at it.
It WAS a new tub, but after 300 attempts at composition its looking a little tired... :)

Mineral - Pyrite

The mineral pyrite, or iron pyrite, also known as fool's gold, is an iron sulfide with the chemical formula FeS2. This mineral's metallic luster and pale brass-yellow hue give it a superficial resemblance to gold, hence the well-known nickname of fool's gold.

Mineral by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking shot Mark - lovely detail. Nicely lit to bring out all those facets. :clap:

Wow love the hairy plant. The blue bg really makes it stand out.

Can't beat a bit of butter :) I like how you used the knife to make a curl:)

Mineral looks great, like a little planet. Might have cropped a little off each side to make it even all round :)

Last edited:
That is so cool, especially spherical (y)
Cracking image, with great detail, well done.

That's a really interesting photo with so many different surfaces in there. You've managed the light and reflections well. Is that a price tag on the right hand side?

That's a great piece for the theme, not seen anything like that before. You've captured the detail well, in the description you say that iron pyrite has a brass-yellow hue which doesn't come across on here, does this piece not have that or has it been lost with the lighting? Good shot either way.

Cracking shot Mark - lovely detail. Nicely lit to bring out all those facets. :clap:

:agree: with Carl, great details

Like your mineral shot, nice and sharp and good detail and really interesting to look at. (y)

Wow love the hairy plant. The blue bg really makes it stand out.

Can't beat a bit of butter :) I like how you used the knife to make a curl:)

Mineral looks great, like a little planet. Might have cropped a little off each side to make it even all round :)

Great shot of this mineral, love the BG as it really sets it off nicely :) Death Star cool :D

That's an unusual shape for a mineral. Well captured with good details. What other said, it resembles Empire's ultimate weapon.

very interesting mineral

Thanks all....

Now that is an unusual sample Mark, never seen a round one like that before, though there is a tiny spot on the bottom LH frame I'm liking it central in the crop, and I too like the light hitting the various facets :)

Cant please some people eh ?

That is so cool, especially spherical (y)
Cracking image, with great detail, well done.

Cheers

That's a really interesting photo with so many different surfaces in there. You've managed the light and reflections well. Is that a price tag on the right hand side?

Gah!!!! Cannot belive I missed that. Its actually a small descriptive label, but Im gutted I didnt spot that.

Like that. Wonderful detail and exposure.

I'd like more space at the top and bottom and maybe a square crop.

Cheers.

Andy, I did seriously think about going square, but preferred what I posted.

fascinating

Very nicely done Mark, loads of detail in there and I really like the background colour, it works really well.

Thank you guys

That's a great piece for the theme, not seen anything like that before. You've captured the detail well, in the description you say that iron pyrite has a brass-yellow hue which doesn't come across on here, does this piece not have that or has it been lost with the lighting? Good shot either way.

Thanks Steve.It has lost some colour in trying to light it tbh, I guess its a slightly yellow ey silver in reality ?

Great job of taking a photo of a shiny object! Really well exposed and very sharp.

A whole half + half a whole = Whole .... .works well Mark. Great idea and looks good to me. Like all those bubbles & froth in the jug

Back