weekly hoochys 52 er

For a speed shot it's a good 'un; but the OOF wide line across the top really draws my eye (I take it that's a different level of surface?)

For a speed shot it's a good 'un; but the OOF wide line across the top really draws my eye (I take it that's a different level of surface?)

yea ruth its my stairs on my front porch lol it was done in a hurry as i seem to be falling behind a bit , yea andy i would agree i need to try and up my game a bit

ok here is my photo for sound i know its a bit of a tight crop, this was taken at the doune hill climb event the sound of some of the cars had your ears bursting lol

IMG_7059 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Rab

Machine....I want that helmet :D nice n sharp & the colors make it really pop :)

Sound.....been there & heard that & you're right...ear defenders are the order of the day ! Nice n sharp, pity you couldn't have got a slightly clearer shot....

Alphabet.....as already mentioned ,on theme but can do better ;)

I guess you were limited by your point of view?

The camera or speaker or whatever it is has become the subject, with the car as a background - even though the car is lovely and sharply defined. Agree with Lynne (and you!) about the crop too. It is a bit tight. but then I submitted nothing for Sound so I can't really talk... Alphabet meanwhile is crisp and clean and brings a smile to my face. Nice idea.

yea lynne it was a ace outfit and yea i loved it to lol, the box you see is part of the time gear they had set up to the left just out of view is a laser and a clock the box thats in view is a light here is a photo of a old mg just to show the set up a bit more

IMG_7163 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Rab Alphabet as said its a yes on theme but no to the layout as you said it was rushed been there done that far to many times to mention myself
However great idea on sound really like the first one yes its tight but sometimes its just unfortunate if you were setting the shot yourself you could clear the shot of clutter but i dont happen with grabbed shots like that.

Sound - I wonder how many failed the noise testing. Good take on the subject and 2 nice cars there.

a good few tim lol

Rab Alphabet as said its a yes on theme but no to the layout as you said it was rushed been there done that far to many times to mention myself
However great idea on sound really like the first one yes its tight but sometimes its just unfortunate if you were setting the shot yourself you could clear the shot of clutter but i dont happen with grabbed shots like that.

yea simon i would rather have the photo than no photo, some times its out of our control, cheers for the comments every one

Hi Rab,

sound - I'm not much into cars or racing, but I can imagine how noisy it was, I prefer the old MG, but I bet it's not comfortable to ride in.

experiment, nice to use sepia. I know it was probably intentional, but I'm not keen on the verticals not being vertical - sorry :)

Ooh, hadn't noticed the verticals until dem mentioned them, I was just looking at the sepia, now I can't keep my eyes of the verticals. That aside, I would have preferrred a closer crop on the man and the people around him.

I don't see many sepia conversions that I like, but I really like this. Correcting those verticals has done wonders.

Your positioning is excellent, getting the sun to light your subjects in that way. No harsh shadows in sight. With 20/20 hindsight, I think aiming downwards slightly to include legs and remove the extraneous space in the top of the frame may have worked better but it's hard to tell without seeing it. Normally, the "get closer" rule would apply, but I think the subject standing still whilst others around him seem so busy really works well for the image.

Great entry Rab.

another experimenting with technique :clap: all I can think of is chemistry labs ha ha. I think your pic needs a lil straightening, just a wee bit to the right. when I have loads of verticals confusing things I tend to make the people stand straight and ignore the rest, seems to work. I love the expression on the lad's face, tis a very nice candid. Can't comment on the sepia cos I just get picasa to do it for me lol, so well done for doing it yourself :)

Sound, what are the box things on the stands...knowing might make me agree with Lynne that moving them would be better.

Experiment, good effort, pity he couldn't be isolated more.

Cheers.

lol i defo have wonky eyes cheers for the feed back summer. andy the box things are the wee one near the ground is a laser one is a time clock and i think one is a set of count down lights well thats a guess but i will go with that unless some one can shed more light on them

Second edit makes a big improvement - I like it -(y) and well done on experimenting with different techniques

Second edit makes a big improvement - I like it -(y) and well done on experimenting with different techniques

thank you for the feed back ELAIN

Hi Rab

that's a cracking sepia conversion, really bright but not blown white bits, loads of different tones and the straighten finishes it off ...great work mister :clap:

cheers lynne

Experiment....Love the conversion, and correcting the verticals has made a HUGE difference. Very nice.

A strong image with depth. (y)

A pity the straighten meant losing a chunk off the bottom.

Experiment....Love the conversion, and correcting the verticals has made a HUGE difference. Very nice.

thanks for the feed back ruth

A strong image with depth. (y)

A pity the straighten meant losing a chunk off the bottom.

cheers for the feed back david

Why fail?

Not the best I've seen, but if it's a first for you then well done.

You've captured the detail and orange colours. Slightly closer and slightly elevated POV to capture the reflection, maybe.

Cheers.

yea first time taking that type of photo andy ,maybe because i shot it at f 2.8 i just think that now i see it i could pos have done it better like a bit more sharp and yep caught more of the reflection, cheers for taking the time out for the feed back buddy (y)

Not a fail at all Rab. I remember my first reflection shot with candles and it was not as good as this so don't put yourself down,let us do it if necessary :p

I really like the sepia conversion of the crowd shot too (n)

Rab ... Heat is on theme, you're focused on the flame but I think you need to bring the ISO down. Plus - as stated above - a tighter crop or get in closer maybe.

Hi Rab, It's an ok shot the only thing would be just too much empty space on the left and right. A tighter crop and level the bg would help.

cheers i will give that a go just now

Not a fail at all Rab. I remember my first reflection shot with candles and it was not as good as this so don't put yourself down,let us do it if necessary :p

I really like the sepia conversion of the crowd shot too (n)

pmsl that brought a smile to my face

Back