Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Yep both are very good, but I'm a sucker for 10stop shots so going with the second image, really like the composition too :)

Second shot for me....but thats some serious flow right there !

Prefer the 2nd shot, not just for the smoother water but also better composition overall.

#2 looks like the bridge is moving through the water as opposed to the other way round. really clever use of long shutter, i love it. Good for the theme too. Nice one!

Thanks all, it's the tide coming in and it's always an impressive sight.

I prefer the composition on the second but the detailed brickwork works so well on both as a contrast against the smoothed out water. I think you might be right about he perfect blur being between the two...but I really enjoyed both of these anyway :)

I like the first one best as its not too blended out, great idea:)

First one for me Chris ...I love these type of shots, the water is perfect for me on that first one, not too slowed down just enough to maintain a nice swirly effect :clap:

I prefer the composition on the second but the detailed brickwork works so well on both as a contrast against the smoothed out water. I think you might be right about he perfect blur being between the two...but I really enjoyed both of these anyway :)

Thanks all.

#2 for me Chris, the ultimate smoothness of the water and the tighter crop giv it a feel I prefer (though I can't say what exactly).
You really get a feel for the power of the flow of the water, the way it looks as if it would scour the piers if it could.

#2 for me Chris, the ultimate smoothness of the water and the tighter crop giv it a feel I prefer (though I can't say what exactly).
You really get a feel for the power of the flow of the water, the way it looks as if it would scour the piers if it could.
Thanks Tim,the tide gets up to about 8knots when it's running like that, btw it's a railway viaduct (thought you might like to know :))

Thanks Tim,the tide gets up to about 8knots when it's running like that, btw it's a railway viaduct (thought you might like to know :))
It does have that kind of look to it, with that many piers, the bridge is going to have a flat deck, whereas roads often are arched, which is stronger so have less piers (also have to support less weight too).

It does have that kind of look to it, with that many piers, the bridge is going to have a flat deck, whereas roads often are arched, which is stronger so have less piers (also have to support less weight too).
Just for you;) these photos were taken from the end of the embankment where the train is

ArnsideViaduct by TheWub, on Flickr

Smooth is my favourite shot for me this week, I find water calming and I could happily sit and stare at your image.

#2 for me, even smoother. I like the composition too.

Well I wasn't going to let this theme go without making a meal of it now, was I. Here's a a trial adit driven for haematite (an ore of iron), the mineralization is clear on the left hand side
52-2017-Mineral by TheWub, on Flickr

And here's what might be laughingly be called the crowd pleaser, I quite enjoy messing around with these "product" type shots so I dusted off some of my better half's mineral collection. The pyrites was a bit of a nightmare to light because of so many shiny facets. (Better viewed large on Flickr)
IMG_0730 by TheWub, on Flickr

And here's a couple of pull backs, I normally do this stuff in the kitchen but was relegated to the bedroom on this occasion
P2031969 by TheWub, on Flickr
P2031971 by TheWub, on Flickr

I like the mineralisation shot, and I wonder what's further down that cave...

The crowd pleasers are lovely, and thank you for sharing the "making of"!

I like the mineralisation shot, and I wonder what's further down that cave...

The crowd pleasers are lovely, and thank you for sharing the "making of"!
Thanks Bernd, the little mine only goes on for another 10 or 20 metres before they gave up

Its like before and after, extremly interesting. A lot of effect is taken in getting the perfect photo which you have done. Excellent.:clap:

#1 is a super shot Chris - the eye naturally follows that tunnel into the depths of the image. Beautiful colours too. I like the shots of the individual pieces and, more importantly the pull-backs. I really must get hold of an umbrella and a snoot (birthday in April ... and NO, not the 1st!)

Nice collection of minerals, strangely no garlic, they do look much better on flickr, not that they look bad here, some great detail in them

Last edited:
I would have liked to see an alternative shot of you a little further into the cave. Great detail in the crowd pleases and very helpful pull back shots. (y)

Another vote for Smooth #2 from me Chris. It definitely looks like the bridge rather than the water is moving.

Mineralization means there are mineral present, right? So no shoe horn award for you this week :bat:

Love the collection of individual minerals (y) but what a faff to light them :p

That #1 is a cracker of a shot Chris, got to be 1,000s on Minerals in the shot IMO, great lighting and the bloke makes it even better for the viewer :plus1::plus1::plus1:

Its like before and after, extremly interesting. A lot of effect is taken in getting the perfect photo which you have done. Excellent.:clap:
Thanks Dave, glad you liked it.

#1 is a super shot Chris - the eye naturally follows that tunnel into the depths of the image. Beautiful colours too. I like the shots of the individual pieces and, more importantly the pull-backs. I really must get hold of an umbrella and a snoot (birthday in April ... and NO, not the 1st!)
Thanks Carl, if you haven't got one the boom arm is useful with the umbrella for this king of thing. I just use cheapy ones off ebay/amazon

Nice collection of minerals, strangely no garlic, they do look much better on flickr, not that they look bad here, some great detail in them

like the set up shot, glad i'm not the only one improvising with household objects
Thanks Allan, necessity is the mother of invention.

I would have liked to see an alternative shot of you a little further into the cave. Great detail in the crowd pleases and very helpful pull back shots. (y)
Thanks, you are welcome to have a go at the cave ;)

Another vote for Smooth #2 from me Chris. It definitely looks like the bridge rather than the water is moving.

Mineralization means there are mineral present, right? So no shoe horn award for you this week :bat:

Love the collection of individual minerals (y) but what a faff to light them :p
Sorry, I'll try harder with the shoe horn in future and faffing about is part of the fun learning process :) Thanks for commenting

Thanks for showing us how you set the shots up. I clearly need some more equipment, and more chairs in the bedroom!! I will be using this shot as my reference/excuse for the speedlight purchase with the finance director (herself)

Lovely smooth water. I prefer the first one, I like that there is still some texture in the water :)

Nice mineral shots and thanks for showing the set up. Interesting to see how you did it :)

Last edited:
great shots, and you have gone to a lot of effort to create this. well done. loving the reflections on the fool's gold shot.

Nice Mineralization and big thank you for the how you did the crowd pleaser, very effective. Cheers.

Thanks for showing us how you set the shots up. I clearly need some more equipment, and more chairs in the bedroom!! I will be using this shot as my reference/excuse for the speedlight purchase with the finance director (herself)

Nice smooth water. I prefer the first one, I like that there is still some texture in the water :)

Thanks all, @granddad john, I use Yongnuo speedlights, they fine and a lot cheaper than the Canon/Nikon ones.

interesting stuff Chris ... the minerals and your pull backs. Thanks for sharing. (y)

interesting stuff Chris ... the minerals and your pull backs. Thanks for sharing. (y)

I think you've got an advantage on this one Chris :) fascinating to see the minerals underground.

'Product' shots of the minerals are really nicely done, they're beautiful aren't they.
Thanks David and Susie, they looked a bit better on the originals, importing to PS to create the montage and exporting again seems to have lost some sharpness

#1 for me, I remember that bald head :)

Quite a foreboding cave.

Cheers.
:D Thanks ... I think ... Andy

Nice collection of sample of minerals and very nicely captured.

Great lighting on the minerals, like the picture of the mine too.

Thanks for commenting, I'm glad someone likes the mine, it was a lot harder to capture than the minerals

Back