Critique required Kell's 52 in 22 - week 52. Showcase

Well spotted and a good start to the year :)

Nice shot- the blue sky works perfectly in the background.
I have a lot of respect for those working on phone cabling - it's a right forest of wires. God knows how they manage to connect the right ones!

Oooh, a 5D3 user. That sky is so much nicer than it would have been with a 7D ;)
My only critique is that the verticals aren't - but for all I know, that's how they are in real life...

The big white platform the guy is standing in is a bit blatant but I appreciate that there was probably no way to get the picture without it in. Where did you get such a blue sky, it's been peeing down all day here?

Well spotted and a good start to the year :)
Those cables stand out really well against the blue sky. A great spot.
Well spotted - a great colour contrast in there.
Oooh, a 5D3 user. That sky is so much nicer than it would have been with a 7D ;)
My only critique is that the verticals aren't - but for all I know, that's how they are in real life...
The big white platform the guy is standing in is a bit blatant but I appreciate that there was probably no way to get the picture without it in. Where did you get such a blue sky, it's been peeing down all day here?

Thanks all. Spot of luck with this as it was literally outside my daughter's bedroom window.

@LC2 - I hadn't noticed that - don't think I played around with the crop at all, but I might have a look at straightening them a bit and see if it helps.

It's odd, as I'm normally a stickler for correcting any wayward verticals or horizons.

Last edited:
The hard yellow and the soft blue play nicely together.

Sky can be BLUE?!!!

Never easy to know whether "verticals" are or aren't unless there's an obvious datum.

Plenty of detail in that, nice image and a good start to this year's 52.

The problem(s) come when it's a man in a cherry-picker basket up a telegraph pole - chances are that there ARE no true verticals! :)

Those are old fashioned wires, we are all optical our way.:)

Well spotted and a nice image, the second more vertical pole is more pleasing to my mind, but truth be told could be wrong.

Nice shot Kell, they would have been working in the pouring rain or falling snow here. I don't think I've seen blue sky for a couple of weeks.

Nice shot Kell, they would have been working in the pouring rain or falling snow here. I don't think I've seen blue sky for a couple of weeks.
It was definitely unusual of late. Been tipping it down most of the rest of the time.

Looking out this morning, I think they've actually replaced the pole - shame I didn't see that happening.

Works with the great colour. An interesting angle on the theme.

Week 02 - Old.

Lots of shots this week, but not sure what to choose. Went out early and the mist was down all morning so the light was very flat.

Shots taken in and around West Wycombe - including of an old Coaching Inn that's from the 15th Century.

The Church Loft. Front. by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

The Church Loft. Rear. by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

While it's the oldest building there, the pics left me a bit 'Meh'

Though I did take a shot of the doors on the rear.

The Church Loft, West Wycombe by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

So I walked up the hill hoping that the Dashwood Mausoleum (1765) might give a little something. But, even shrouded in mist, I still wasn't happy.

Dashwood Mausoleum, West Wycombe by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Nice close up of an OLD lock though.

Lock and Web by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Past that is St Lawrence Church. Obviously most graveyards have several old headstones. And while I found some older ones the last one from 1892 is my favourite shot.

St Lawrence by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Old - Grave by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Old - Grave 2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

A good choice, although I probably would have gone with the B&W door on the back of the building.

Great series Kell. The focus on your chosen image is sharp but I wish I could read the quote under the husband's information (jut for curiosities sake).

For me the image I would have gone with is the doors in the rear. I like how it's framed and the different textures and patinas. I'd be interested in seeing the colour version.

All great shots as usual Kell. I like your chosen shot, the mist makes it for me, but the rear doors one a close second for me as well.

My choice would have been the padlock or the back doors. That’s the joy of this,everyone has a different viewpoint.

Nicely done, and on theme, but I really like the lock shot, it's a great image.

Great series Kell. The focus on your chosen image is sharp but I wish I could read the quote under the husband's information (jut for curiosities sake).

Just going back to the pre-processed image (and zooming in to 200%) it says:

"AND GOD SHALL WIPE AWAY THE TEARS FROM THEIR EYES AND THERE SHALL BE NO MORE DEATH"

Nice set Kell and a hard choice. I would have gone with the next to last churchyard one. I like the angle and the composition.

Great selection of old items, the house is amazing its so old I surprise its still stood up. Lots of interesting photos.

Nice set of images, and like your choice. Your B+W conversion looks spot on to me.

Great selection of old items, the house is amazing its so old I surprise its still stood up. Lots of interesting photos.

I'd love to go and have a look around inside some of these places - the whole village looks to be 15th-16th Century. But a lot of it looks really run down. Almost about to fall down. It looks really pretty when you drive through, but on closer inspection, it's almost derelict.

5D3_8451 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_8447 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like the old lock with the cobweb and the coloured graveyard scene. The Old back door works better in B&W.

Pete

I didn't get it quite level while shooting and trying to find a vertical or horizontal on the image to straighten it up was pretty tough.

Back