LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

Aha, I knew there was something about a 'Distant' signal but our trains aren't running at the moment so I didn't look any further into it. I've just done that and learned that it's the yellow one in your image (y)

I like both of these with the moody sky, curving lines of the tracks, with an engine in steam for good measure. I sort of agree about the far home signal being close to the edge in the first one but TBH it doesn't bother me and it does add a focal point for the converging tracks, as you said. Lovely old signal box too.

Nice distant chuffer :D

Nice little Jinty :D

I have no idea what a home signal is, but I like the image anyway :) Lots of different parts of the image to keep you looking at it, and I love the clouds in the second version.

That one is better, think it would also look good in mono too.
Yeah, as I said, the original image could do with 1/2 a stop more of light. Using the grad and dehaze has definetly helped with the clouds.
I can't pick which of the two I prefer but the 2nd version feels a tack too saturated for my liking but it doesn't say I'm correct. Imagewise, I like the rails curve away and disappears to the left with the signal dominates the whole scene.
Ta Stan. I got them to lay the tracks like that especially for me ;)
The clouds look better in the second one. Nicely composed shot.
Thanks Bob.
Excellent images!

Perfect composition, I like the way you've framed the signal box with the near and far signal gantries...very cool!

Great use of the tracks to lead you into the image.

(y)
The composition was pure luck really.
As in that is where they were, I didn't have the opportunity to move them ;)
It is a pleasing composition, the closer gantry was actually intended as the main subject.
Aha, I knew there was something about a 'Distant' signal but our trains aren't running at the moment so I didn't look any further into it. I've just done that and learned that it's the yellow one in your image (y)

I like both of these with the moody sky, curving lines of the tracks, with an engine in steam for good measure. I sort of agree about the far home signal being close to the edge in the first one but TBH it doesn't bother me and it does add a focal point for the converging tracks, as you said. Lovely old signal box too.
The nice thing about the GCR is that it is double track, with a junction (at this point), so you get the opportunity to have multiple locos in the shot that aren't in a station.
Nice distant chuffer :D

Nice little Jinty :D
I *think* the one in the distance is an 8F
I have no idea what a home signal is, but I like the image anyway :) Lots of different parts of the image to keep you looking at it, and I love the clouds in the second version.

So....
Distant and Home semaphore signals...

The Distant signal is the yellow one, it is effectively a repeater for the Home signal (the red one).
The train doesn't stop at a Distant signal at danger, but if it is at danger it means that the next Home signal is also set like that, so be prepared to stop.

This is because semaphore signals can only show two aspects. Danger or Clear.
Modern colour light signals show up to 4 aspects (without getting into the complications of feathers etc.)

Very nice take on it and the loco on the right sets it off brilliantly
Thanks Peter. I was pleased it was there and I was able to make use of it in the shot.

Last edited:
I *think* the one in the distance is an 8F

That or a Black 5 I reckon.

Tim, nice composition. I would be tempted to convert to b&w or sepia ? Makes me feel like your transported to a “Distant Time” the leading line of the rails just takes you on a little journey through the picture

Tim, nice composition. I would be tempted to convert to b&w or sepia ? Makes me feel like your transported to a “Distant Time” the leading line of the rails just takes you on a little journey through the picture
Conversion to B&W for steam railway shots is perhaps a bit over-done, eyes were in colour even in 1967 ;)
That said, some shots do look better mono, but it's not something I would default to in order to give it an older feel.

Hi Tim, Open does what it says on the tin. Nice colourful sign and a good black bg. Not sure why it's distant, is it something to do with the signal? I prefer your final edit, seems to have a bit more punch to it. Didn't mind either way about the other signal but now you've removed it I think its better without :LOL:

Jeez! Creepy as hell.

Great capture and nicely composed

I like the black and white conversion. Not sure if you could have done and even if you'd have wanted to, but i'd have liked to have seen a tad less sheen on the light bits of the black hair

Great DOF, great composition and it looks great in B&W...and those are are making me feel cold.

Well done to the make up artist. I too had to google to see who it was. Definitely cold looking stare. an unusual take on the theme but works well.

You make it hard for me to comment it’s a world I have no idea about but good thinking for the theme

The B&W works so well in this image, great contrast!

Having just googled Jeff the Killer, I think you've captured it perfectly!!

The brick background works well too...makes it more scary somehow.

And that is indeed a cold stare!!

Great work Tim.(y)
Well, it is to mine!! Superb capture, cold stare spot on. B/W perfect for this shot.
From the pits of hell came the cold killer, a great take on theme Tim and the mono just makes it pop out along with the brickwork.
Also to my taste Tim, the black and white conversion is excellent really pops against the bg.
Jeez! Creepy as hell.

Great capture and nicely composed

I like the black and white conversion. Not sure if you could have done and even if you'd have wanted to, but i'd have liked to have seen a tad less sheen on the light bits of the black hair
Great DOF, great composition and it looks great in B&W...and those are are making me feel cold.
Well done to the make up artist. I too had to google to see who it was. Definitely cold looking stare. an unusual take on the theme but works well.
Super choice in the brick wall background and the b&w Tim, great expression on Jeff the Killer’s face, a very creepy image indeed.
Creepy or what ! Great composition for the theme. Well suited to mono against the background wall
Spot on for the theme, Tim; the position of the head and the eye make-up combine to produce a really flat, cold stare. Even though the person looks quite close to the wall, your choice of aperture has softened it nicely. Looks like the 50mm f2 is going to work well for these subjects (y)
You make it hard for me to comment it’s a world I have no idea about but good thinking for the theme

Thanks for the comments everyone.
The image was shot with B&W in mind, that's how I saw it in my 'vision'.
The wall is actually a backdrop, but I felt it fitted perfectly.
The sheen of the hair... My eldest says the wig would have cost about £3, so was always going to shine. I kept the shine because I felt it worked.
The cosplayer would have almost certainly have done the make-up themselves Mandy, they do get very good at it (I'm still learning).
The 50mm was okay Andrea but there wasn't much space so I swapped back to my trusty 35mm not long after these shots.
Dave, I wouldn't bother searching out the creepypasta stories, they are... well... erm... not brilliantly written.

Allan, you do get a free pass for my 'dressing up' shots, much like I refuse to comment on bug shots :)

Distant, I really like the last version, nice composition and the sky looks great. A bit of sunlight to give some shadows would have been nice, but it's still a very nice shott

Cold is pretty creepy, lots of impact though, and a perfect shot to do in mono.

Distant, I really like the last version, nice composition and the sky looks great. A bit of sunlight to give some shadows would have been nice, but it's still a very nice shott

Cold is pretty creepy, lots of impact though, and a perfect shot to do in mono.
It is infact "creepypasta" ;)
I know, but I wanted to at least acknowledge that you have posted :kiss:
:)

Week VI : Waiting (For a Train)

The idea behind this shot was to capture empty platforms to try to create the kind of image you often saw of stations like Broad St in the late 70s. Quiet, deserted, almost abandoned.
The platforms are sitting there, "Waiting for a Train".
I used the LR Preset "Desaturated Contrast" to get the desaturated look, then adjusted it from there until I got the look I was trying for.
The general air of nothingness, the detritus on the tracks along with the lack of any real colour (okay, there is some red left) give it the feel I was looking for.

It's hard to believe the shot was taken at 08:59 on a weekday at Waterloo...

TP 52 for 2019 - Week 6 : Waiting (For a Train)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back