LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Looks like smoke to me, never expected to see a train though :wideyed:

Classic steam train looks very well looked after, whose Thomas

Isn't steam smoke too?

verb
verb: smoke; 3rd person present: smokes; past tense: smoked; past participle: smoked; gerund or present participle: smoking
  1. 1.
    emit smoke or visible vapour.

I've seen smokier ... but rarely anything so cute. :clap:

Hi Tim ...catch up for me ...super triptych for Evolve, that's the route I take to see my grandaughter, its really handy to end up at Waterloo as its just by her accommodation.
Above ...you were definitely right to wait for that gorgeous blue sky, I always feel wistful when I see planes flying off to somewhere exciting.
As d00d says that's a really cute little train and a glimmer of Smoke :) works for me.

That is a sweet little engine...and as you say a hint of smoke so just about on theme ;)
Cheers Emma.

What a cool little engine that is, and a faint bit of smoke.
:)

Looks like smoke to me, never expected to see a train though :wideyed:

Classic steam train looks very well looked after, whose Thomas
Certainly classics, the youngest of them is getting on for 140 years old now!
The coaches are generally Victorian wooden bodied 4 wheeled afairs, not the ubiquitous BR MK1 seen at most Heritage Railways too.

Thomas is the star of a series of books written by the Rev W Awdry for his son.
(Though not actually in the first book iirc).

Isn't steam smoke too?
No, steam is the gasseous state of water.

I've seen smokier ... but rarely anything so cute. :clap:

Hi Tim ...catch up for me ...super triptych for Evolve, that's the route I take to see my grandaughter, its really handy to end up at Waterloo as its just by her accommodation.
Above ...you were definitely right to wait for that gorgeous blue sky, I always feel wistful when I see planes flying off to somewhere exciting.
As d00d says that's a really cute little train and a glimmer of Smoke :) works for me.
Thanks Susie. Waterloo is my daily commute, but not on that line. I thought the triptych worked quite well, it would have been nice to get some sunshine on the modern units, but it wasn't to be.

As for the jets, needless to say as that was taken from my back garden they don't hold me in thrall. Back in the days when Heathrow had everything from twin engine props to Concorde landing it was more interesting, but these days it's a bit samey.

Thats a nice little train that Tim. Nice shot. It looks tiny compared to the ivatt!
It does, doesn't it. I bet you could hide one in a 9F's tender.

BG certainly an issue not sure on the choice of character either the red is vivid enough though

vivid -wacky subject- stands out well against the BG ... but if you wanted to make the BG less noticeable you you could easily select and desaturate bits.

Vivid, agree with you on the maybe using the 50mm to blur more of the BG, but you have got a shot in, so on to the next theme now :)

BG certainly an issue not sure on the choice of character either the red is vivid enough though
One of the main characters in TG though.

I think for the theme the red against the black works.

TG is a brilliant Anime series and hey, you got the shot with great eye contact
And the different colour eyes came out okay too.

Very vivid red in the costume and the background isn't to distracting.
I kind of wish I'd had the 50 f/1.4 on though.

vivid -wacky subject- stands out well against the BG ... but if you wanted to make the BG less noticeable you you could easily select and desaturate bits.
To be fair, I did desaturate bits of the background, and pump up the saturation on the red bits. I didn't want to be acccused of using spot colour, so it was done sparingly ;)

wow..i had to zoom in as missed the eye, really adds to both the cosplay and your image..
They really put a lot of effort into the costumes for these events.
I've been slowly posting my shots from this and the last event I went to on Tumblr

She certainly looks Viviid Tim, that red definitely pops out of the photo ...well spotted for the theme.
Thanks Susie.

Week 18 - Large

It's been far too long since I posted shots of my goto subject and even longer since I played with .
Taken with my trusty tz8 (yes, eight, not eighty) at the Bluebell as there was no way I was going to strap one of my DSLRs to the rack of my RD350.

Challenging lighting from the available angle - i.e. straight into the sun.
However, I think this works well for Large, taken from ground level to emphasise the size of the loco, and converted to black & white (lomo-ish effect in picasa) to give it a period feel.

Standard 5 73082 - Camelot
by Tim White, on Flickr

My other option was going to be...

LB&SCR A1X class 55 - Stepney
by Tim White, on Flickr
But as the cleaners haven't got the quartering on the buffer quite right, I felt it wasn't "the one".

A great angle for the train and I like the B+W not sure about the vignette a little too strong maybe and a bit off the bottom so the rail heads into the corner
Taken with my trusty tz8 (yes, eight, not eighty) at the Bluebell as there was no way I was going to strap one of my DSLRs to the rack of my RD350
o_O

A great angle for the train and I like the B+W not sure about the vignette a little too strong maybe and a bit off the bottom so the rail heads into the corner
o_O
A bit like this @Allan.H

Standard 5 73082 - Camelot
by Tim White, on Flickr

Love the train Tim, it looks fabulous on Flickr and then full screen on my iPad ...the processing works perfectly, great angle too :clap:
Sheffield Park has a good spot for getting shots like this (just a shame it's into the sun).

I too love the train, great low down shot makes it look bigger ( Large ) and nice PP too :)
Ta Dave. That was the general idea of taking teh shot from that position :)

It's been far too long since I posted shots of my goto subject

What, since the week before last?!

Love the shot for large - although you have to view it full screen to get the full effect. I think the later crop was an improvement too. I haven't been around for a while but just to add, looking back through recent(ish) photos the one for Dark was awesome.

Yes, that train is large. I prefer the second crop, great PoV and great processing. And I like vignettes.

Agree Trains are large. Love the POV and the black and white, though would love to see it in colour also . :) :plus1:

I like the in-your-face buffer really gives a sense of large. The engine is nice too and suits the mono conversion I think

Trains are large, so that fits, and a nice angle and rendition too. The buffer tho, I reckon that has something in it worth playing with, perhaps a square crop, mono'd with lots of structure, maybe a bit like this...

34502673335_67334448da_o-Edit.jpg

Chris

Trains are large, so that fits, and a nice angle and rendition too. The buffer tho, I reckon that has something in it worth playing with, perhaps a square crop, mono'd with lots of structure, maybe a bit like this...

Chris
That works a lot better than I thought it would. I kind of lost the will to play with the file once I saw the quartering wasn't spot on, but going in closer like you have and it doesn't matter.
(y)

Nice to see the trains are back. Love the low down angle to enhance the size. The lack of colours add interest too.
Ta, I prefered the black & white.

Yes exactly (y)

What, since the week before last?!

Love the shot for large - although you have to view it full screen to get the full effect. I think the later crop was an improvement too. I haven't been around for a while but just to add, looking back through recent(ish) photos the one for Dark was awesome.
2 weeks is well, at least 1 week too long ;)
Dark has to be probably my favourite shot of the past 3 years doing this. I've printed it and it will be hanging on a wall soon.

Yes, that train is large. I prefer the second crop, great PoV and great processing. And I like vignettes.
Thanks bernd.

Agree Trains are large. Love the POV and the black and white, though would love to see it in colour also . :) :plus1:
There is a colour version on my flickr, just click through.

I like the in-your-face buffer really gives a sense of large. The engine is nice too and suits the mono conversion I think
The edit of the buffer by @KernowChris transforms the shot.

I liked the first version of the train for large but then I saw the second cropped one and think that is even stronger. Very nicely done with the angle and the processing.

Liking the first ... Great pov, B&W with vignetting works. (y)

I liked the first version of the train for large but then I saw the second cropped one and think that is even stronger. Very nicely done with the angle and the processing.
Thanks Steve

#1, nice low POV, closer would really add to the scale but safety first. Conversion works well as does the vignette.

Cheers.
I was a close as you could be without being in the cess or the 4 foot. Infact, the camera was technically the wrong side of the fence.

Liking the first ... Great pov, B&W with vignetting works. (y)
Thanks David. I quite like playing with effects.

Back