LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Hi Tim, I'm miles behind with your thread ...not sure how that happened, anyway, I've just had a catch up.
Posing pigs ...whatever next :) but perfect for the the theme.
News is spot on and I love the subtle use of the poppy, a very eye catching thoughtful image.
Love your photo of the train, and how good that it was saved from being scrapped, the black and white suits it perfectly.
The image projected on the background definitely adds to your Culture shot, sometimes it's just so handy to use a phone isn't it.

That's unfortunate to be supported by all saints but never mind, not your best as you say but a bit of youth culture works for me
I will admit to recognising 3 songs from their 50 minute set (no idea what they were called though).
To be fair, they sounded pretty good, so evidently not relying on 'autotune' for their success.

Hmmm double shoe horned, Tim, I'll have to remember to try that too :D

Madness were certainly part of the youth culture from a few *cough* years back :D
Nice clear image from a phone too.
:)

Hi Tim, I'm miles behind with your thread ...not sure how that happened, anyway, I've just had a catch up.
Posing pigs ...whatever next :) but perfect for the the theme.
News is spot on and I love the subtle use of the poppy, a very eye catching thoughtful image.
Love your photo of the train, and how good that it was saved from being scrapped, the black and white suits it perfectly.
The image projected on the background definitely adds to your Culture shot, sometimes it's just so handy to use a phone isn't it.
I get behind on commenting too, and it can be hard work catching up.
The gig was laid on by HP as we were at an expo. There was no way I would have lugged my dslr around all day, so phone it was.

Really good of them to arrange those engines for you, it makes for an interesting image.

Do they still make Yorkie bars, anyway the containers in the BG are a little distracting, but the trains :sleep: :D are nicely lined up, works for me (y)

To be honest, I've not had the need to use it yet (though I guess I could have when takeing the long exposure shots).
In fact, I've been leaving it turned inwards to stop me chimping in an attempt to make me think more about the settings when I'm out an about.

Madness (and Baggy Trousers let it be said) were very Cultural in their time. Nice one Tim - a bit different.

Call it Train Arrange ... very nice. :)

Oh ... and Madness ... a good knees-up I bet. :)

Last edited:
Well spotted and nice train related take on theme.

Nice take on arranged,
Ta

Hi, well spotted. Bland skies are not easy to work with.

Cheers.
Indeed, and seems to be all I get on my days off too. Cropped the way it is to remove as much as the sky as possible.

Very convenient for you Tim, they line up really nicely, well spotted. I wonder if it would take a crop, just to make them a bit closer
It is cropped a bit anyway. I guess I could lose a bit of the closest loco and more of the sky. I wanted to keep the wagons in the shot along with the 3 locos.

Madness (and Baggy Trousers let it be said) were very Cultural in their time. Nice one Tim - a bit different.
Cheers Carl

Call it Train Arrange ... very nice. :)

Oh ... and Madness ... a good knees-up I bet. :)
Thanks David. It was quite cool being at a small private gig at the roundhouse. I wasn't sure I was going to bother going, but glad I did.
Managed to get the last train home :)

Ah Madness - the soundtrack to many a school disco :D
That arrangement of trains definitely fits the bill for the theme this week too, Tim.
Cheers Emma. If you had Madness at your school discos, it must have been their revival period :)

Well spotted and nice train related take on theme.
Ta Brrnd.

I'll take your word for it but I like the composition, and that you retained the details in the shadows.

You're the train expert, but for ISO 12,800 a great amount of details in the shadows. And I like the composition too.

You're the train expert, but for ISO 12,800 a great amount of details in the shadows. And I like the composition too.
It's not quite as good in low light as the 5D3, but it's far better than my 1100D or 7D.
Mind you, there was no good reason to be at 1/500th sec taking that shot, other than I'd been taking shots of a kettle approaching Clapham a few seconds before and hadn't thought to change the settings :oops: :$

I am trying to figure out whats going on in out and about, very strange

As for the train I can only take your word for it :geek:

Like that a lot Tim, lots to see in the whole image.
Ta Mark.

I am trying to figure out whats going on in out and about, very strange

As for the train I can only take your word for it :geek:
The 'conventional' shot would be of a christmas scene made in sand, the buckets are for collecting money (if you zoom in you can see the coins that missed).

But a conventional shot would be boring :D

How odd :LOL:

I keep looking at it and can still not understand the 3 sections with coloured buckets :thinking: - Well spotted :)
The mats catch the money that the passers by throw when they miss the buckets.

Interesting well thought out from the charity raiser, well spotted.
More interesting than the standard fare on the Southbank, such as the living statues.

Well spotted, the interaction between the folk works well. I might have cropped a little off the left and bottom.

Cheers.
Oh believe me Andy, I did crop quite a bit. I've been using my 80d and 18-135 lens as a walkabout camera, as it's far lighter than the 5D3 and a couple of lenses.
Mind you, I had plenty more zoom available. I wasn't sure whether a close crop or zoomed in image wouldwork best, took a few, but this one had the best faces.

Male/Female has a nice abstracty feel to it Tim, excellent detail of a complex piece of engineering. A very engaging shot for Out & About - found myself wandering around taking in all the details - expressions are fabulous.

Great photo, lots going on. You've captured the interactions between different people very well.

Dellner Couplings on the recently refurbished class 458/5 units run by SWT.
I would say they have both male & female parts.
I'm sure it does nice shoe horn Tim :D
I went for a wander along the Southbank from Tate Modern to Waterloo Bridge.
This wasn't a sight I was expecting to come across.
Yep, once you zoom in, you can see what it is I must admit that it had me confoosed for a bit though

I really like your image for Arranged Tim lovely leading lines very nicely spotted.

Great find for out and about as you say not something you would expect to see on The South Bank

Male/Female has a nice abstracty feel to it Tim, excellent detail of a complex piece of engineering. A very engaging shot for Out & About - found myself wandering around taking in all the details - expressions are fabulous.
I liked it for the colours, but especially the main character's expression.

Great photo, lots going on. You've captured the interactions between different people very well.
Cheers, if you look around you, there is always something happneing on the south bank.

I'm sure it does nice shoe horn Tim :D

Yep, once you zoom in, you can see what it is I must admit that it had me confoosed for a bit though
:)

Agree Tim on 'out and about' an excellent choice, what an unusual sight to come across, loads of interest, colour, and texture in there.
The train parts for M/F .... I'm sure they're in there somewhere :)
Okay, so the coupling was a shoehorn, but hey, it's a 'Coupling' ;)

I really like your image for Arranged Tim lovely leading lines very nicely spotted.

Great find for out and about as you say not something you would expect to see on The South Bank
I dunno, it's the southbank - so you expect to see the unexpected.
10 minutes later I bumped into a Circus Troupe parading along. They weren't as photogenic though.

I like out and about a lot - so much going on and as has been said the expressions make it (y)
Indeed. In the shot 5 seconds later though, nothing!

Male/Female; nice shoehorn and it does look like some kind of male/female connection.

Out and About; well spotted and I was trying to work out what is it until I read you explanation.
Cheers Stan. At least someone appreciates the effort I put into the coupling shot :)

Week 52 : Celebration

After spending 15 minutes editing, composing #2 below, I decided that actually I preferred the colour image, so for my final shoe-horn of 2016, I give you

A Celebration of Steam

British Railways Standard 4 - 76017
by Tim White, on Flickr

This was the one I spent time creating...
Celebrating returning home from "The War" for Christmas - A Triptych of images from The Mid Hants Railway's "Christmas Leave" event which is run annually 26-27 December.

Christmas Leave
by Tim White, on Flickr

I hope to see you all here in 2017
Happy Christmas & New Year.

Back