LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

I like it the lack of colour except for the faint splash of red and the DoF works really well, excellent, is it a cat :D

Week 42 : Liquid

Going for another shallow DoF, close up of detail shot.
Guesses as to what it is?
Looks like an old boiler to me mate :D

A nice shallow DoF at that Tim, I also like the smeared red reflection too, adds a nice bit of warmth (y)

I like that Tim, Love the water droplets on the cold metalwork it looks like the side of a steam engine to me.

The slight hint of red in the picture is a nice touch.

Cheers chaps. I think you all guessed it was a kettle, specifically it's a close up of the cladding of one of the pistons plus the running board.
The water droplets are from condensation of the steam rather than rain (it was quite chilly at 08:25).

I tried several angles, this one came out best imo.

Brilliant shot Tim. A very arty look to it with that faint suggestion of colour and the condensation hanging and the water splashes running down the face of the metal. Makes a beautiful abstract.

Great shot, the shallow DoF adds to the abstractness of the photo.

That's definitely part of a train.

Brilliant shot Tim. A very arty look to it with that faint suggestion of colour and the condensation hanging and the water splashes running down the face of the metal. Makes a beautiful abstract.

Great shot, the shallow DoF adds to the abstractness of the photo.

That's definitely part of a train.

Great shot Tim, like the hint of color and the DOF (y)

Cheers chaps.
Of the shots I took last weekend with the Liquid theme in mind, this was by far my favourite.

PMSL nicely shoe horned Tim. :D

Nice light on the baby train, R/H/S :)

Beautiful shots Tim - #1 especially with the starburst as well as the sizing contrast between the three.

2 lovely images there Tim the first one is brilliant nicely composed and some lovely lighting.

Shoe horn or not I love them

The first one for me looks like an episode of Thomas the tank engine :p

Liquid ... liking the water droplets on the oily surface. (y)

Cracked ... Absolutely loving these two. 5 secs at that hour. :clap:

It's all been said above, cracked is a beaut, very well done.

Beautiful shots Tim - #1 especially with the starburst as well as the sizing contrast between the three.
Cheers Carl

2 lovely images there Tim the first one is brilliant nicely composed and some lovely lighting.

Shoe horn or not I love them
Shoehorn? What shoehorn? ;)

Tim ....I love your photo for Liquid, spot on focus.

That's such a fabulous light on Cracked, they are both excellent :clap:
Thanks Susie, Worth getting up in the dark and travelling for an hour for then :)

Oooo liking both of them Tim, I had never thought of a long exposure on steam before, really like that effect against the deep black and vivid red slithers (y)
I think that's the first time I've tried long exposures there during the blue hour, usually I'll only do long exposures in the pitch black.
I think they worked well :)

The first one for me looks like an episode of Thomas the tank engine :p
The Rev W Audrey did reflect railway life to some extent.

Liquid ... liking the water droplets on the oily surface. (y)

Cracked ... Absolutely loving these two. 5 secs at that hour. :clap:
I made the effort to get up for the crack of dawn, checking the forecast for the conditions I wanted. Luckily it did all come together.
Liquid wasn't a planned shot, but I spotted the opportunity and decided there must be a shot in there somewhere.

It's all been said above, cracked is a beaut, very well done.
Ta Chris

Nice image, nice touch with the light.
we had a trip on the Bluebell Railway last w/e
Cheers Walter. The Bluebell have a gala on this weekend, but the weather's not been as kind for photography. Plus they don't let you wander around the yard, even when it isn't live.

Week 44 : Spooky

Before anyone says anything, none of the gravestones or crosses were vertical!
Was hoping for some mist, and indeed, the surrounding fields did have a light covering of mist, but the graveyard... Nope...

I was actually quite surprised at how wide open the aperture could be this morning to get this effect.
Backlit using a speedlight @ +3 flash exposure compensation with a blue light modifier.
This turned out a lot better than I expected after arriving to find the mist hadn't turned up to play.

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 44 : Spooky
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Shame with the mist inexplicably absenting itself but excellent lighting picking out those webs Tim ... makes you imagine something Spooky happening on the other side of the silhouette.

Nice one TIm, the blue back light works well for that classic horror movie effect.

Works very well Tim! Great light effect and the cobwebs add to the spookiness.

Back