weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2015 - Week 26 Animal added

Very nice. I think B&W works well here.

Thanks for looking in and giving feedback, Tim. Much appreciated :)

Hi Andrea,

Just catching up on your catch up!

relax - really works for the theme. The light is a bit stark, but you wouldn't expect anything else to bring everybody out at lunchtime :)

vertical - like David, my first thought was cds/dvds, then I couldn't work the titles out! :LOL: it's a great subject for the theme, good choice :)

mouth -this seems to have vanished from your thread ? :eek:

crowd - it is difficult to get your head round shooting indoors when you're not used to it isn't it? It's not something I've done much of either, until this challenge, but it's great to try new things. I think the second sht works best - good idea using a torch as a spotlight! It shows the figure standing out very well :)

close up - I love this. Dandelion heads are such good subjects and the mono works a treat (y)

Thanks for your comments, Lorraine, and I've fixed the link to the Mouth pic. It was showing when I viewed the thread but obviously it was the cached version, as I had replaced the first one with a slightly edited one and didn't realise it would break the link. Should be working now (although you might wish you hadn't seen it!).

I am enjoying the challenge of trying new things, and people and indoors shots are things I don't usually do. Glad you liked the spotlight idea - it was something I tried at the end and wasn't sure if it worked.

HI Andrea

good to see you back again :wave:

Fragile...super shot, lovely n delicate web with great bokeh :clap:

Scenic...great nightscapeshot , makes manchester look really attractive :D

Companions....on theme but not a patch on the previous 2...sorry

Elegant...lovely bokeh again, well placed in the frame & well focused (y)

Watery.....wonderful abstract...it does indeed look almost oily...well spotted (y)

Bold......like that , simple but really effective with that strong orange color :)

Vertical...think I prefer the 2nd one.....looks kinda sinister :eek:

Close...love it ! Square crop works well & mono really suits :clap:

Hi Lynne, thanks for taking the time to go back through my thread and comment on all the latest images :) I agree that the second jelly baby looks sinister, which seems odd with such a colourful and 'sweet' subject! I also agree that Companions looks like a bit of a makeweight, which it was, but hopefully I'll be up to date within a few days and I think that's a candidate for a reshoot later in the year.

I'll pop over to your thread shortly!

Dandelion shot with dark BG is high-impact ... like fireworks. (y)

Hi Andrea ....well done to you on that marathon catch up, some stunning shots in there ...stand out for me are
Fragile ... delicately beautiful,
Elegant ... wonderful in flight shot,
Watery ... superb abstract style image,
Bold, the colour on this on leaps from the page, but they are all really smashing, looking forward to watching your thread.

Hi Andrea,
Not sure how I've missed your thread before 'Close Up', but obviously I have, which is a shame as there are some stunning photos in it.
Now that I've looked through, I think the highlights for me are:

Bliss - A really nice shot, exactly on subject and great use of DoF where even the OOF background is interesting. I also love the warm feel to it. Looking back, that was a great subject for early January.
Fragile - A great capture and good spot, as that's not something you can set up (well, unless you are Shelob ;) )
Scenic - Nice use of a long(ish) exposure to capture that one. Were you Urbexing?
Companions - THey do look a bit like a married couple don't they :) Could also have been your 'Machine' shot. Is there a little over exposure in the sky? Or was it a grey day. Either way it takes nothing away from the photo, but some threatening clouds could have added atmosphere.
Watery - Very nice, far better than my effort.
Bold - Reading your summary, I think you found something that exactly fitted what you were looking for. Nice bold colours against the muted OOF background. First time out with a new body & lens too... :clap:
Vertical - WHen I glanced at this, I initially thought they were books or magazines, I would never have guessed they were boxes. Did you know they were there, or was it a happy chance? It works very well for teh subject, and it has great vibrancy.
Crowd - I love the second one with the orange chappy standing out. Nice use of DoF to give him/her prominence.

I'll try to make sure I don't miss the rest of your catch up :)

Fragile...super shot, lovely n delicate web with great bokeh :clap: Lovely dreamy colours in the BG

Scenic...great nightscapeshot , makes manchester look really attractive :D Nice range of colours

Companions....on theme but not a patch on the previous 2...sorry I like the idea of a father and son tractor, BG is very busy, but that's what you had to work with.

Elegant...lovely bokeh again, well placed in the frame & well focused (y) Nicely isolated

Watery.....wonderful abstract...it does indeed look almost oily...well spotted (y) Nicely exposed, well composed and quite abstract

Bold......like that , simple but really effective with that strong orange color :) Agree and fills the frame

Vertical...think I prefer the 2nd one.....looks kinda sinister :eek: On theme, doesn't really grad me but the red really pops.

Close...love it ! Square crop works well & mono really suits :clap: wonderful, very dreamy

This...with a few bits added it bold :oops: :$

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Andrea - well done on the big catch up job and not giving up :clap: My favourites are Bold - that orange mooring rope really pops out at you - #2 shot for Crowd - good dof and a bit of humour as well and the dandelion for Close Up - just a really beautiful image (y)

Dandelion shot with dark BG is high-impact ... like fireworks. (y)

Thanks, David, you're right about the fireworks comparison. I hadn't thought of that :)

Hi Andrea ....well done to you on that marathon catch up, some stunning shots in there ...stand out for me are
Fragile ... delicately beautiful,
Elegant ... wonderful in flight shot,
Watery ... superb abstract style image,
Bold, the colour on this on leaps from the page, but they are all really smashing, looking forward to watching your thread.

Thanks for taking the time to look back through the images, Susie, and for your comments. I think you've picked out my favourites so far too :) I'll look forward to visiting your thread later this evening.

Hi Andrea,
Not sure how I've missed your thread before 'Close Up', but obviously I have, which is a shame as there are some stunning photos in it.
Now that I've looked through, I think the highlights for me are:

Bliss - A really nice shot, exactly on subject and great use of DoF where even the OOF background is interesting. I also love the warm feel to it. Looking back, that was a great subject for early January.
Fragile - A great capture and good spot, as that's not something you can set up (well, unless you are Shelob ;) )
Scenic - Nice use of a long(ish) exposure to capture that one. Were you Urbexing?
Companions - THey do look a bit like a married couple don't they :) Could also have been your 'Machine' shot. Is there a little over exposure in the sky? Or was it a grey day. Either way it takes nothing away from the photo, but some threatening clouds could have added atmosphere.
Watery - Very nice, far better than my effort.
Bold - Reading your summary, I think you found something that exactly fitted what you were looking for. Nice bold colours against the muted OOF background. First time out with a new body & lens too... :clap:
Vertical - WHen I glanced at this, I initially thought they were books or magazines, I would never have guessed they were boxes. Did you know they were there, or was it a happy chance? It works very well for teh subject, and it has great vibrancy.
Crowd - I love the second one with the orange chappy standing out. Nice use of DoF to give him/her prominence.

I'll try to make sure I don't miss the rest of your catch up :)

Thanks for looking back through the earlier images too, TIm. I've been on a mega catch-up and only adding images again quite recently, so easy to miss until now :)

I appreciate your feedback on all the images, and to answer your questions/comments the web for Fragile was the one that got me back into this year's 52 as that's the subject I wanted from the start and because I couldn't find one in January it created a mental block and then a backlog. Once I had that one though, the floodgates have opened :) I wasn't urbexing for Scenic, just staying in a hotel with a great view over the city and managed a reasonable image by propping my compact on a windowsill and using the self-timer!

Yes, it was a grey overcast day for Companions, hence the sky. It was a bit of a 'filler' shot to help with the catch-up and ideally I would have gone back another day, and for Vertical I knew the fish boxes are often there but wasn't sure whether I'd find some that day, so I was chuffed to find such a long line of them :)

Thanks again for the detailed feedback; much appreciated.

Fragile...super shot, lovely n delicate web with great bokeh :clap: Lovely dreamy colours in the BG

Scenic...great nightscapeshot , makes manchester look really attractive :D Nice range of colours

Companions....on theme but not a patch on the previous 2...sorry I like the idea of a father and son tractor, BG is very busy, but that's what you had to work with.

Elegant...lovely bokeh again, well placed in the frame & well focused (y) Nicely isolated

Watery.....wonderful abstract...it does indeed look almost oily...well spotted (y) Nicely exposed, well composed and quite abstract

Bold......like that , simple but really effective with that strong orange color :) Agree and fills the frame

Vertical...think I prefer the 2nd one.....looks kinda sinister :eek: On theme, doesn't really grad me but the red really pops.

Close...love it ! Square crop works well & mono really suits :clap: wonderful, very dreamy

This...with a few bits added it bold :oops: :$

Cheers.

Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to go through my images so far. Your feedback is very welcome and I'll look forward to catching up with your thread soon.

My favourite of all your catch up photos is Close Up. It looks so delicate and, as Andy says, quite dreamy :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks for dropping in and looking through the thread so far, Jill. I think that Close Up could be my favourite too so far; they're such complicated little structures yet so often overlooked. I'll be sure to visit your thread later :)

Hi Andrea - well done on the big catch up job and not giving up :clap: My favourites are Bold - that orange mooring rope really pops out at you - #2 shot for Crowd - good dof and a bit of humour as well and the dandelion for Close Up - just a really beautiful image (y)

Thanks Elaine, I do appreciate you looking through my thread and commenting on your favourites. I have just a few more to finish the catch-up and it will be great to be in step with everyone else, hopefully by the end of the week! I'll head over to your thread later :)

Week 13 - Machine

How literal a take on the theme is this? :) Last week I actually put my camera inside the washing machine to get some close-ups of all the curves and lines and reflections and I had almost settled on my final shot in PP yesterday, but then had the impulse to try a completely different angle today. Having polled the family we all prefer this version so here this is the result.

13 Machine
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just catching up on your thread. Some nice images

Crowd: The jelly babies wouldn't have lasted long enough for me to photograph them
Close : Dandelion suits the B &W lovely image overall. Some good detail in their and crops suits it well (My fave to date)
Machine: How shiny does that look. Would be interested to see the other shots that you took

Fantastic shot Andrea :clap: Lighting, angle, focus and composition all spot on for me and sadly I recognised exactly what it was as soon as I saw it :(

(y) Incredible detail and so clean ... well I suppose it would be, being a washing machine.

Ooh, I really like this too Andrea. Loads of detail and great processing (y)

Thanks, Jill :) Once you look inside, they seem ridiculously photogenic! I thought the bluey tint added to all those details and angles so thanks for that.

I'm with Jill on this, that's a brilliant image, very clever bit of thinking to come up with it and very well executed.

Thanks very much, Tim. As I said above, they are SO photogenic inside yet something that we normally take for granted :)

Just catching up on your thread. Some nice images

Crowd: The jelly babies wouldn't have lasted long enough for me to photograph them
Close : Dandelion suits the B &W lovely image overall. Some good detail in their and crops suits it well (My fave to date)
Machine: How shiny does that look. Would be interested to see the other shots that you took

Thanks for looking through my thread and commenting, Mandy. I see you've been on a catch-up too recently and I hope to be completely up-to-date very soon.

Hi Andrea - I agree with Jill & Tim - lovely shot with loads of detail, well done (y)

Thanks, Lorraine :)

Fantastic shot Andrea :clap: Lighting, angle, focus and composition all spot on for me and sadly I recognised exactly what it was as soon as I saw it :(

Thanks, Elaine, my husband thought the sight of me sitting on the floor behind my camera and tripod and shining a torch into the washing machine was hysterical! Glad it was worthwhile :D

(y) Incredible detail and so clean ... well I suppose it would be, being a washing machine.

Thanks David, you would hope so :) I was surprised at the amount of scratches though, presumably from buttons and zips etc.

Week 14 Alphabet

I couldn't find our Scrabble set or an old set of wooden blocks but did find a board game I can't remember playing called Red Letter so had a play with that instead. I'm not too thrilled with it but the addition of the sprinkle of out of focus game pieces in the background was a late addition and I think (hope) saves what was looking like a bland set up. Moving on...

14 Alphabet by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Week 15 Sound

I've always loved the shape and colour of the fog horn on one of the local promontories, so it came to mind immediately for this theme. Hopefully by going for a close-up, low angle and accentuating the large mouth of the horn and the bright red paint this will convey the impression of loud noise. I would have liked a better sky so maybe this one is ripe for a reshoot when the next one comes around.

15 Sound by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
16 Experiment

My experiment shows the result of intentional camera movement during an exposure. It's the first time I have tried this and I do like the blurred lines and almost painterly effect from the tree trunks and surrounding foliage.

16 Experiment by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Alphabet; very sharp and good use of dof. I like your idea of alternative upper and lower case letters.

Sound; being living in a seaside city we also have one of these and they do make a racket in a foggy day

Experiment; very nice smooth movement. I've tried this technique before also in here for the 2011 52 Project but your is a lot better.

Just wanted to say I absolutely LOVE the experiment shot.

I'm going to come back to your thread when I get home from work and have a commenting session....can't believe I've missed it!

Alphabet; very sharp and good use of dof. I like your idea of alternative upper and lower case letters.

Sound; being living in a seaside city we also have one of these and they do make a racket in a foggy day

Experiment; very nice smooth movement. I've tried this technique before also in here for the 2011 52 Project but your is a lot better.

Thank you Stan, this particular fog horn is retired and isn't used any more but I remember very well the noise it used to make! It's nice that they still keep it well maintained and painted as it's still quite a landmark. As for the blurred trees image, I was pleased with this one after literally experimenting with the exposure and amount of movement. Thanks again :)

Just wanted to say I absolutely LOVE the experiment shot.

I'm going to come back to your thread when I get home from work and have a commenting session....can't believe I've missed it!

Thank you, Ruth, glad you like it! Hope you enjoy some of my others as much, and I'll be sure to visit your thread later too :)

I'm almost up-to-date! Just two behind the current theme and I have ideas for those. @Dark Knight, if I smile and ask really nicely would you consider moving me back from the dreaded Wall of Shame? Please? :) :beer::jaffa:

Here's Week 17 - Heat. I hope you can hold your hands out and feel it ;)

17 Heat by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hi, Alphabet, a well processed and composed submission.

Sound is a belter, really 'in ya face' composition. I bet a nice contrasty B&W would really suit this one.

ICM, good first job here, nice detail and colours.

Heat, ooh, that looks warm. Lovely oranges and detail.

Cheers.

I shall begin!

Bliss......What can I say? That looks like a damn fine night in to me! I wish the Quality Street were in full focus, but forgiveable.

I'm just tip-toeing in to post this. It's the subject I wanted for week 2 and couldn't find any at the time, but spotted one recently and thought maybe it's not too late to attempt a catch-up. I have some images in the bag and some I need to do.

02 Fragile - raindrops on spider web
by manxmaid2000, on Flickr

I think this about perfect for the theme....I really do.

Thank you, Stan, much appreciated!

I'll be tip-toeing in again to post more images. After falling so far behind I don't know whether a big catch-up is on the cards, but I haven't given up.

This is my image for 'Scenic'. Night time Manchester may not be everyone's idea of scenic but the 'big city' is a bit of a novelty for us islanders and I loved the colours!

03 Scenic - Manchester at Night

Scenic......I'm not that familiar with that skyline although my brother lives close....but again it really fits the theme.
Nothing to blown and good colour.

Companions: This same-coloured pair of tractors caught my eye when looking for something to fit the theme.

04 Companions

They look like big brother/little brother :LOL:
The BG isn't too inspiring, but I love their "expressions" lol

05 Elegant:

I took this last week while filling in the gaps for this attempted catch-up. One from a series of shots, the bird's effortless style and the graceful curve of its wings in this one summed up the theme best for me.

05 Elegant - Bird in flight

I've never considered a black headed gull elegant, but their flight, maybe :LOL:

06 Watery:

Living on an island you might expect a photo of the sea for this theme, but this is the inland water of a reservoir. The low sunlight was catching the ripples and gave the surface a contrasty and almost oily look, and the original colour version was almost monotone anyway so no colours were harmed in the processing of this image :) I think the end result looks almost like mercury.

[/url
06 Watery

Oh, and if anyone can ID the bird above for me, I'd be grateful. Edit: I believe it is a Black-headed Gull.

Absolutely love this.....It looks like mercury!

All the new pictures are great, I love them all but my favourite has to be the Scenic one. There is so much to see in the photo and a really big print would be stunning.

The colour certainly fits the theme.
I've tried to get a good catch of fishing rope, but have failed so far.

08 Relax

I don't often take photos of people but there was something really striking about the relaxed atmosphere in Brindleyplace, Birmingham on this sunny day, with office workers finding places to eat their lunch in the open air, along with parents and grandparents with pushchairs, and a few visitors like us.

08 Relax

I have to admit that this one isn't doing anything for me.......Sorry.

Back